Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I'm just upset that we've started kindergarten and I have to get my kid up just before sunrise to get her ready on time. School drop-off is between 7-7:30.

Why the gently caress does a 5 year old need to be at school so early? I'm pretty sure school hours are still holdovers from when the kids were already up from milking the cows or collecting chicken eggs or whatever the gently caress. Goddamn I'm tired.

And we have a newborn. So playing "don't wake the baby goddamnit!" every morning is fun.

On the other side of it, my kid's bus is scheduled to pick him up at 8:50. If we're lucky, it gets there at 8:45. Sometimes it doesn't come until 9. Luckily, my husband and I have flexible schedules. I put him on the bus Monday & Friday. My husband does Tuesday and Thursday, and we pay for before school care on Wednesday. If we didn't have that flexibility and had to be at work at 8 /8:30 like most other working families, we'd have to pay for before school care for the entire week! We already pay for after school care. His school does both on site through the school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

BonoMan posted:

I'm just upset that we've started kindergarten and I have to get my kid up just before sunrise to get her ready on time. School drop-off is between 7-7:30.

Why the gently caress does a 5 year old need to be at school so early? I'm pretty sure school hours are still holdovers from when the kids were already up from milking the cows or collecting chicken eggs or whatever the gently caress. Goddamn I'm tired.

Like ^^^ implied, not everyone can saunter into work at 9 like me (and presumably yourself). But yes, I guess it's a holdover from when most parents in the area were industrial workers or similar.
Around here, construction workers start their workday at 7.15 yet us office rats with flex time can start whenever. My unit has people starting between 6.30 (don't ask*) and 10.30. It still works out OK, the really late young guys generally don't have to attend many important meetings, and if they have one at 9, they'll phone in from bed I guess.

* OK, you don't have to ask: He picks up his kids at preschool at 14.30, his wife leaves them there at 9. I have no idea how much they see of each other, but at least the kids get a shorter day away from home?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Like ^^^ implied, not everyone can saunter into work at 9 like me (and presumably yourself). But yes, I guess it's a holdover from when most parents in the area were industrial workers or similar.
Around here, construction workers start their workday at 7.15 yet us office rats with flex time can start whenever. My unit has people starting between 6.30 (don't ask*) and 10.30. It still works out OK, the really late young guys generally don't have to attend many important meetings, and if they have one at 9, they'll phone in from bed I guess.

* OK, you don't have to ask: He picks up his kids at preschool at 14.30, his wife leaves them there at 9. I have no idea how much they see of each other, but at least the kids get a shorter day away from home?

I just think they aren't probably super geared to learn when they're still tired?

Yes I get that some people have work that begins early, so maybe there's the daycare style option of "learning starts at 9 am but if you have to drop kids off early then doors are open from 7 am on and kids that arrive early can just play until then."

It's just crazy to expect a 5 year old to be ready that early AND to expect them to get the suggested 10 or 12 hours of sleep. Since the wife and I both work until 5:30 that would usually mean going to bed right after we get them home-ish.

The whole system (including adult work hours) just needs a complete overhaul.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If the kid goes to bed at 8pm and wakes at 6am that's 10 hours of sleep.. that's not really some lofty goal and by 6 years old the sleep requirement will be less. I see it's more of an issue with the parents not being prepared for the early morning.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If the kid goes to bed at 8pm and wakes at 6am that's 10 hours of sleep.. that's not really some lofty goal and by 6 years old the sleep requirement will be less. I see it's more of an issue with the parents not being prepared for the early morning.

It's hard to make kids go to sleep when its still light outside and they can hear other kids playing out in the street.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We learned the hard way that routine was important, and we get our kids to bed between 7:30pm-8:30pm every night. One day my son's classmate (2nd grader) was talking about an episode of Criminal Minds he was watching the night before, and I realized this kid was up until 11pm the previous night. It boggled my mind! Different strokes, I guess.

Mornings are an epic struggle for us, but not because of being overtired. The kids are just resistant to the routine of school, every morning is another battle over needing help putting on socks or negotiating for cereal or not buckling into their seats in the car. They feed off each other, and it is fantastic.

We also have homework, ages 5, 6 and 8 here. But the twist is my kids are in a Spanish dual immersion class and I don't speak the language, so I am no help. The teachers even ask parents not to use Google translate or anything, so all I can do is sit them all down at the table and encourage them to help each other out.

Since we are currently mired in the American educational system, I am baffled by how hostile it is towards working families. Our school year routinely starts on a Friday, with a minimum day. We have random minimum days, on different days of the week, and a few "pupil-free" days on Thursdays. I work from home, these inconsistencies are a pain but we can adapt. How other families handle it, I have no idea. There is an afterschool program at the school, for something like $600/month per kid. For an average of 4 hours of care each day.

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 19, 2019

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BarbarianElephant posted:

It's hard to make kids go to sleep when its still light outside and they can hear other kids playing out in the street.

I think the problem there is that the school year is too long. Or you live too far north, I guess.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

One day my son's classmate (2nd grader) was talking about an episode of Criminal Minds he was watching the night before, and I realized this kid was up until 11pm the previous night.

What the actual gently caress

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

life is killing me posted:

:jerry:

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Right?! I didn't want to be judgmental, but it was pretty shocking to hear a 7-year old discussing the serial killer story he watched the night before.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Shut up with your stupid logical math. I'm tired!

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
My daughter just started K and has homework. She's not 5 yet (thanks California cut offs) and her teacher asked me if she was a preemie today. It's been nonstop chastising at pick-up that she doesn't sit still and pay attention but gently caress! She's not even loving 5! Y'all shouldnt start school at the beginning of August if you don't want to deal with the just barely made the cut off kids. I was miserable last year that my son stayed in until September, but thank gently caress he's just barely on the other side of the cut off now.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

1up posted:

My daughter just started K and has homework. She's not 5 yet (thanks California cut offs) and her teacher asked me if she was a preemie today. It's been nonstop chastising at pick-up that she doesn't sit still and pay attention but gently caress! She's not even loving 5! Y'all shouldnt start school at the beginning of August if you don't want to deal with the just barely made the cut off kids. I was miserable last year that my son stayed in until September, but thank gently caress he's just barely on the other side of the cut off now.

Where we are the cutoff is Dec 31 and people routinely hold back kids born in Oct, Nov, and Dec.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
K is considered optional and the district goes by age range, so redshirting K means going straight to 1st grade. Assuming she'd even get a spot at her school because of overloading. :(

My birthday is mid September and I started K at the same age, but K in 1990 was a whole different kettle of fish. We learned letters, took a nap, and still had recess despite being half day K.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

1up posted:

I have a very end of August birthday so I was always one of the youngest, if not the youngest, in my grade. The first couple years will be an adjustment because there’s still a big difference between 4, 5, and 6, but after that kids start to become more equal developmentally. The only thing that sucked for me was being one of the last kids to learn to drive, but I got to move out and start college at 17 so that was cool.

My four month old had her first belly laughs today and my heart almost exploded. She was so happy and cute all day despite getting her vaccinations this morning. If I could guarantee all my babies would be like her, I would have like twenty kids.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Koivunen posted:

If I could guarantee all my babies would be like her, I would have like twenty kids.

So much the same for me. Our labor was hella easy (12 hours, no drugs, 10lb baby, mom is 40) and our guy is amazing. She wants another but I can’t help but feel like there’s no way we’ll be this lucky twice.

I’m an 8/23 birthday, was always the youngest. It’s great now, all those fuckers will be 40 and I’ll still be in my 30s. :smuggo:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I should do more upper body workouts. Picked the kids up from daycare/after school and took them on a hike at an nearby park. Went down to the creek, splashed in the water, and had a picnic.

Unfortunately both twins started losing their poo poo with about a half mile to go, so I had to pick up and carry both of them the rest of the way. They’re almost getting too big for that, I drat near dropped them a couple of times.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
A little snapshot from weird-land.

Me and baby just, for our first time, attended what is called "open preschool". I guess it's a Swedish thing because the Wikipedia article doesn't exist in any other languages? :shrug: Does anyone know an English term for the below?

It's meant for children who are not enrolled in pre-school for whatever reason. (Day-care does not exist here, it's called pre-school from toddlers up to 5 years. Tomato, tomahto) Pre-school in my city accepts kids no younger than 12 months. This works because of generous paid parental leave. So, my 8-month-old is obviously home with me, myself and I, all day long. Open pre-school is attended with the parent alongside the child. In this case, they have two pre-school teachers who are there all day, and can accept up to ca 15 kids at a go. The schedule in this instance is 0-6 years old all day, most of the week, and two slots are for 0-8 months only.

For the baby groups, which we attended today, there aren't many organized activities. The point is mostly that the parents get to meet the teachers and discuss whatever they are worrying about at the moment, and not least, the parents get to meet each other. The only activity today was a little sing-along and clap-along. Very cute and at least the older babies seemed to enjoy it a lot. Mine was crawling around in discovery mode almost our whole one-hour stay, apart from the sing-along.

I gather they have various activities for the older kids, like painting/drawing or ... well, we'll see when we get moved up to that group. Teachable things, I'm sure.

I think most parents only attend once or twice a week or more irregularly, but it's run by the city free of charge (tax kronas at work) and you don't book in advance. If it's full when you arrive, you don't get to attend today.

The benefit I think is mostly in keeping parents sane while on parental leave. A lot of people with more than one kid will be on leave for the youngest, meanwhile the older might have limited right to pre-school, so they can bring all the kids to open pre-school occasionally if they need a reason to get out of the house. Or first-time parents like me can meet others in the same situation and have the pleasure of watching my baby take toys from younger babies and crawl off with them.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hippie Hedgehog that sounds like a really awesome setup. It keeps parents from feeling isolated and provides support and socialization on demand on long leaves.

My husband and I left our 16 week old with her retired grandma for the first time today, and will continue to do so until our $1300/mo two day per week daycare slot opens up in December. And I realize this is a good and privileged setup here :911:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

$1300/mo for two days a week? That's crazy. I'm only paying a little bit more for full time private pre-school

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Major metro area, very high general demand, convenient location. On the plus side, once we need more days per week it’s not much more expensive. :negative:

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

A little snapshot from weird-land.

Me and baby just, for our first time, attended what is called "open preschool". I guess it's a Swedish thing because the Wikipedia article doesn't exist in any other languages? :shrug: Does anyone know an English term for the below?

It's meant for children who are not enrolled in pre-school for whatever reason. (Day-care does not exist here, it's called pre-school from toddlers up to 5 years. Tomato, tomahto) Pre-school in my city accepts kids no younger than 12 months. This works because of generous paid parental leave. So, my 8-month-old is obviously home with me, myself and I, all day long. Open pre-school is attended with the parent alongside the child. In this case, they have two pre-school teachers who are there all day, and can accept up to ca 15 kids at a go. The schedule in this instance is 0-6 years old all day, most of the week, and two slots are for 0-8 months only.

For the baby groups, which we attended today, there aren't many organized activities. The point is mostly that the parents get to meet the teachers and discuss whatever they are worrying about at the moment, and not least, the parents get to meet each other. The only activity today was a little sing-along and clap-along. Very cute and at least the older babies seemed to enjoy it a lot. Mine was crawling around in discovery mode almost our whole one-hour stay, apart from the sing-along.

I gather they have various activities for the older kids, like painting/drawing or ... well, we'll see when we get moved up to that group. Teachable things, I'm sure.

I think most parents only attend once or twice a week or more irregularly, but it's run by the city free of charge (tax kronas at work) and you don't book in advance. If it's full when you arrive, you don't get to attend today.

The benefit I think is mostly in keeping parents sane while on parental leave. A lot of people with more than one kid will be on leave for the youngest, meanwhile the older might have limited right to pre-school, so they can bring all the kids to open pre-school occasionally if they need a reason to get out of the house. Or first-time parents like me can meet others in the same situation and have the pleasure of watching my baby take toys from younger babies and crawl off with them.

We have similar programs in Ontario, Canada. They're run by a goverment agency called EarlyON, and there are free morning drop-in programs for parents/caregivers and children age 0-6, and once a week or so an afternoon drop-in program for parents/caregivers and babies age 0-1. The morning program is a little more structured, ie: Wednesdays focus on active play (they might meet at a playground in nice weather, or have a dance party inside), Fridays are reading-focused, they have art days etc. They have a snack (fruit/veg, yogurt, cheese, crackers, pita, hummus, etc) and end the program with 30 mins of 'circle' time which are songs.

The baby program was 30 mins of free play, with lots of great baby toys/books and padded mats etc, followed by half an hour of focused chat or a guest speaker, like a public health nurse talking about sleep or feeding, snack time for the parents, and circle time customized to interacting with your baby.

If anyone reading this is in Ontario you should definitely check out your local EarlyON centre! When I was on my year of maternity leave, taking my baby to baby group 1-2 x a week was a godsend that I didn't know I needed. Being able to take a mini break and connect with other new parents was amazing. Now that I'm back to work and my husband is the stay at home parent, the morning group has been amazing as well, and my husband took our daughter there 4/5 mornings all winter. She had kids to play with, a variety of activities, he got to talk with other adults, there was a healthy snack available, and he didn't go bananas with our wet, cold, slushy weather trapping them inside!

I love the program so much and hope it doesn't get gutted due to our terrible government. The center we go to has been in operation for over 35 years and had to end their hot lunch program this year that they had been running since day 1 :( They also cut the number of baby group afternoons in half, and stopped providing tea and coffee for the adults (and staff). Boo.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

BadSamaritan posted:

Major metro area, very high general demand, convenient location. On the plus side, once we need more days per week it’s not much more expensive. :negative:

Whhhhhheeeewwww that is steep. I pay less for full time and can have her there 12 hours a day if I needed to.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
We have a sort of similar set up in NZ as well, it's called Playcentre and parents not only attend with their children but are able to get credits toward early childhood qualifications if they want. If you go a lot I think there is an expectation that you make it a regular thing and take on some responsibility on the admin side as its all volunteer run.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Tonight has so far been hell. 15mo old at doc yesterday for fever, has strep throat positive test (doc didn’t even think it likely, just did test for good measure), gives amoxicillin. Today he starts developing a small splotchy rash all over front and back torso, neck, ears. Also a diaper rash with a mean streak that has made each BM diaper change a task I honestly wasn’t sure I would be able to do on my own because of his screaming and fighting and rolling to avoid being wiped. He even flinched and fussed at the sight of his diaper change pad (he usually has been less cooperative with diaper changes period recently but this is that x10).

Two nurse triage calls later and he’s seeing doc tomorrow but he’s been scratching at his ear constantly and his sleep is disturbed with lots of rolling around, waking up and screaming. Twice we’ve had to bring him to the living room because he would be resistant to going back to sleep despite being visibly exhausted.

Amoxicillin reaction ruled out we think. Possibly rash is just due to strep, compromises immune system etc. But who the gently caress knows. Hard to think from all the screaming we’ve listened to. One silver lining (somewhat) is him wanting to snuggle with me instead of Momma, which never happens. But now? I’m afraid to go to sleep because I just know there’ll be another wake up or 4 or 5 and they will all be right around the time we are falling asleep. And he will probably choose tomorrow morning (it is morning already lol) to sleep in whereas usually it doesn’t matter how much sleep he has, still won’t sleep in. So cranky rear end kid at doc yay!

Any ideas on this rash poo poo? Not hives. For sure not that.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Strep can absolutely turn into a body rash, especially in little kids- it’s definitely worth seeing the doc tomorrow.

I hope your little guy feels better soon. :(

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Tonight has so far been hell. 15mo old at doc yesterday for fever, has strep throat positive test (doc didn’t even think it likely, just did test for good measure), gives amoxicillin. Today he starts developing a small splotchy rash all over front and back torso, neck, ears. Also a diaper rash with a mean streak that has made each BM diaper change a task I honestly wasn’t sure I would be able to do on my own because of his screaming and fighting and rolling to avoid being wiped. He even flinched and fussed at the sight of his diaper change pad (he usually has been less cooperative with diaper changes period recently but this is that x10).

Two nurse triage calls later and he’s seeing doc tomorrow but he’s been scratching at his ear constantly and his sleep is disturbed with lots of rolling around, waking up and screaming. Twice we’ve had to bring him to the living room because he would be resistant to going back to sleep despite being visibly exhausted.

Amoxicillin reaction ruled out we think. Possibly rash is just due to strep, compromises immune system etc. But who the gently caress knows. Hard to think from all the screaming we’ve listened to. One silver lining (somewhat) is him wanting to snuggle with me instead of Momma, which never happens. But now? I’m afraid to go to sleep because I just know there’ll be another wake up or 4 or 5 and they will all be right around the time we are falling asleep. And he will probably choose tomorrow morning (it is morning already lol) to sleep in whereas usually it doesn’t matter how much sleep he has, still won’t sleep in. So cranky rear end kid at doc yay!

Any ideas on this rash poo poo? Not hives. For sure not that.

Not sure if this is the same, but my 17 month old went through a pretty unpleasant bout of illness a couple of weeks ago.

Started off with cold/flu symptoms, high fever (almost 40 degrees c), ridiculously hard to settle at night, multiple wakes overnight once settled. Sometimes cosleeping worked, other times it didn’t.

Fever lasted a couple of days, then settled, but still unpleasant symptoms. We’d been to the doctor 3 times by that point. The next day she developed a mild rash that got angrier all over her torso the next morning.

We’ve got a phone nurse service who we consulted with and told us they suspected a viral rash as a result of the cold and fever. We’d been through that with her once before and this time seemed worse, so I was still on alert.

Went to the doctor again the next morning. Same doctor as first consult; he decided it had most likely been ‘roseola infantum’. This looks closer to what was going on with her, possibly coupled with a bad cold, that led to extra misery.

The good news is that it ends, the bad news is that you just have to ride it out until it does. I don’t know if that fits what your little one is going through, but thought I’d share anyway.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

Strep can absolutely turn into a body rash, especially in little kids- it’s definitely worth seeing the doc tomorrow.

I hope your little guy feels better soon. :(

Thanks. Little booger didn’t sleep in this morning, I have no idea why the gently caress he won’t sleep in ever, but he lost a good bit of sleep last night so I can’t wait to spend all goddamn day with a crankbutt toddler.

It’s gotta be either the body rash from strep or viral from what I’m gleaning? The rash looks similar to what femcastra talked about below.

femcastra posted:

Not sure if this is the same, but my 17 month old went through a pretty unpleasant bout of illness a couple of weeks ago.

Started off with cold/flu symptoms, high fever (almost 40 degrees c), ridiculously hard to settle at night, multiple wakes overnight once settled. Sometimes cosleeping worked, other times it didn’t.

Fever lasted a couple of days, then settled, but still unpleasant symptoms. We’d been to the doctor 3 times by that point. The next day she developed a mild rash that got angrier all over her torso the next morning.

We’ve got a phone nurse service who we consulted with and told us they suspected a viral rash as a result of the cold and fever. We’d been through that with her once before and this time seemed worse, so I was still on alert.

Went to the doctor again the next morning. Same doctor as first consult; he decided it had most likely been ‘roseola infantum’. This looks closer to what was going on with her, possibly coupled with a bad cold, that led to extra misery.

The good news is that it ends, the bad news is that you just have to ride it out until it does. I don’t know if that fits what your little one is going through, but thought I’d share anyway.

His looks a lot similar to roseola? Like, I searched Google and the images I saw were basically the same. It still seems to bother him a good bit for some reason, but not sure totally. Used aloe on him last night and then ibuprofen and he finally slept for about 3 hours at once, then woke up after a couple more hours to confirm that no, Dad, I’m not sleeping in this morning.

Was actually hoping I could work this week instead of being a SAHD while he’s sick, because I’m losing my mind with sleep deprivation and behind on work, and so of course it can’t just be 2 days off daycare, it’s gotta be three so the only time I get to leave the house this week so far has been and will be to take him to the doctor.

:smith:

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
10 month old daughter just went through the horrible diaper rash thing as well. She would scream right before diarrhea hit and during. And shake her fists. :( Her rash was so bad, it looked like welts. She fought every diaper change because wiping made it worse. I felt so bad for her. I felt bad for me because diarrhea everywhere because she wouldn’t hold still. We usually have a pharmacy mix a compound and pay for it out of pocket because it’s quicker, but this time I mixed the compound myself and it was pretty easy.

https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/-/media/nch/specialties/pharmacy/compounding-formulas/petrolatum-maalox-topical.ashx

This is a miracle cream. Seriously. It cleared up that awful welt looking rash in less than 2 days. I plan on mixing a big batch up for a baby shower coming up. It stopped the screaming because I really protected the sore spots, after one application she didn’t scream while being cleaned up.

One thing to mention to anyone who plans to mix this: I was really concerned because I could only find mint flavored maalox. I thought that it would mess things up. It doesn’t. After 30 minutes in the mixer the mint smell was gone, obviously I didn’t taste it lol. But it looked exactly like the pharmacy one did, and same texture.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Outbreak of Hand Foot and Mouth in the infant room; we're going on vacation Thursday. Pray for me goons.

(I went and picked him up as soon as I got the panicked phone call from my husband. Keeping him home to minimize exposure, and also because he's been visiting the toddler room he'll be moving to at the beginning of Sept and we don't want him to be a plague bearer.)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Sarah posted:

This is a miracle cream. Seriously. It cleared up that awful welt looking rash in less than 2 days.

The first time our daughter had a super terrible diaper rash, our pediatrician prescribed "Magic Butt Cream." And I thought there's no way that's real or what it's called. Sure enough, that is what was on the prescription label.

It looks pretty similar (if not identical) to the formulation you posted. And I will second that it is truly miraculous.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 21, 2019

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My current frustration is potty training my 3 year old. We trained her in February and she was doing well for a couple weeks, and then she just regressed and stopped going on the potty, so we went back to diapers for a few months.

We switched her to training pants last week and she's been doing really well, but I think she is starting to regress again. It's frustrating because she can clearly do it, can recognize when she has to pee, but she just gets an attitude of "I like to pee in my underwear, we can just wash it". I don't get it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Definitely it’s either roseola or non-allergic reaction to his amoxicillin, according to his doctor. For his diaper rash, yep she totally said to use the butt paste with mylanta and cortisone, plus Vaseline, 3x a day with desitin in between and baking soda sitz baths, saying the inconsolability and restlessness at night was more than likely caused by the butt rash since he doesn’t seem to be too bothered by the other rash. If it’s roseola it’s self-resolving, nothing we can do but ride it out as at least one of you goons said, but that the fever comes first then goes away and the rash comes after so we are at the later stages. Same really, if it’s the reaction to amoxicillin causing the rash.

Glad we saw the doc either way, but man was the little guy a huge terror at the doctor, mainly, I’m sure, because he was exhausted from very little sleep last night. He fell asleep in the car and gave Mom absolutely no problems going back down in his crib to continue his nap once we got home.

So he’s dealing with strep, an upper body rash, a horrible diaper rash causing him tremendous pain enough to disturb his sleep, and of course THREE loving MOLARS COMING IN AT ONCE. The little guy can’t catch a break, and neither can we, because of course all this poo poo has to be happening at once for an intensely unpleasant experience all around. This is coming during a financial hardship for us so it’s been really tense around the house between me and my wife, so the only saving grace here is that we didn’t end up at the ER last night and getting slapped in face with the inevitable bill.

gently caress.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

My current frustration is potty training my 3 year old. We trained her in February and she was doing well for a couple weeks, and then she just regressed and stopped going on the potty, so we went back to diapers for a few months.

We switched her to training pants last week and she's been doing really well, but I think she is starting to regress again. It's frustrating because she can clearly do it, can recognize when she has to pee, but she just gets an attitude of "I like to pee in my underwear, we can just wash it". I don't get it.

I just put my 3 year old on the potty every couple hours when she's at home, sometimes it's a bit of a struggle but I think it's helped her to accept that she's going to sit on the potty whether she wants to or not so might as well pee. I also offer her candy anytime she uses the potty, but not just for sitting on it. Pooping hasn't been going so great though. We had to have her potty trained by the start of the school year so that was really just the last couple weeks, before that we went through the same thing where she'd use the potty some times and then the novelty would wear off and she'd stop, or she'd try it at daycare a few times and decide she liked diapers better etc. She's peeing during her naps right now though and her preschool has been understanding so far but I'm worried about it. Supposedly she uses the bathroom right before nap time but still wakes up wet, blah.

She still wears diapers at night and honestly I try to put a pull-up on her as soon as we're back from school because she won't poop on the potty and I'm trying to get her not to hold her poop.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
For potty training I bought a HUGE bag of Dum-Dum lollipops and he got one every time he peed or pooped. We made it a whole thing - once he went, he would get to sit at the table, pour a bunch out of the bag and pick the flavor he wanted. It was to the point that he was still asking for a lollipop once he had been potty trained for while, he just enjoyed the ritual.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
With Roseola just make sure you stay away from pregnant women. It can be really dangerous to pregnancies.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
This doesn't help the people in it I guess but I've heard potty training a little earlier, somewhere between 2-3 years before they get more contrary, can make the experience easier. At some point toddlers will start doing the opposite of what they're supposed to do because, well, they're toddlers and pushing boundaries, but it sucks when it's something like potty training.
It seems daunting to change up your schedule in order to potty train but holy gently caress is it so nice to not have to change diapers

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

M. Night Skymall posted:

I just put my 3 year old on the potty every couple hours when she's at home, sometimes it's a bit of a struggle but I think it's helped her to accept that she's going to sit on the potty whether she wants to or not so might as well pee. I also offer her candy anytime she uses the potty, but not just for sitting on it.

I felt like being too aggressive about sitting on the potty contributed to regression last time, so I've been trying to avoid that this time. She does get candy when she sits on the potty, although oftentimes she doesn't ask for it. Maybe I should remind her, or mix up the candy.

When she goes back to day care they'll want her in a pull-up over the underwear if she's not trained, and I'm hoping to avoid that because I feel like it sends a mixed message.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I cannot recommend this book for potty training enough: https://www.amazon.com/Crap-Potty-Training-Everything-Parenting/dp/1501122983

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

We also followed the Oh Crap book for potty training (which has a "throw out all diapers, no pull-ups" mentality). Our experience was that our daughter equated underwear to diapers and would instinctively have an accident even if she didn't plan to. We went no underwear (sometimes no pants) at all times at home for almost a month before letting her wear underwear regularly. She still had to wear underwear to daycare and regularly had accidents there. But at home, she was pretty good without wearing underwear.

I will say that potty-training has probably been my least favorite experience in parenting so far. It was full of power struggles, crying, frustration, fear of inadvertently causing future psychological issues, etc. But after about 4 months of consistency from us in reminding or making her go to the bathroom, she went from 90% accidents a day to 50% to 25% to 0%.

I will say that if you do pick up Oh Crap - (to me) it was very strict in some areas but super loose in others, and it got a bit confusing. I gained a lot of helpful tips from joining the book club on Facebook.