Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

GamingHyena posted:

I'd say just make the boring jobs done by NPCs but of course the fantasy isn't to have fun adventures with your band of friends. The fantasy is for the antisocial to be in a position to force other humans to listen to them.

This. It's not about having fun, it's about lording power over people in a world where the whales have paid for that power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

"Welcome to the SS Inevitable Consequences, prisoner. I am your Captain, XxDarkXxXFeenuksxX and for the next two months you will be on this ship. Whether that is as a captive or as a crewmate, is up to you. As a captive I will leave you in this cage and give you food and water. As a crewmate you will be free to carry heavy objects back and forth from one room to another, until you have carried so many objects that I promote you to second-in-command. The choice is yours."

"lol later dipshit, im just making a new character and getting my own ship back"

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Rad-daddio posted:

This. It's not about having fun, it's about lording power over people in a world where the whales have paid for that power.

I'm a job creator because I put myself deep into credit card debt buying spaceships jpgs.

I want star citizen to hit 1.0 just to watch these people fall apart when no one wants to work for someone who thinks they're a small business owner because they spent 2000 bucks on space ships.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If this dumb game is ever actually playable enough for goons to troll it the schadenfreude will be spectacular.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
To be fair to CIG, they're planning on implementing NPCs for bartenders, custodians, and other mundane jobs most players would never want to do. In a way I guess that makes it even more hilarious that despite knowing they will have this option, some players still yearn for a day when they can coerce other real human beings to do these things anyway.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If this dumb game is ever actually playable enough for goons to troll it the schadenfreude will be spectacular.

We were trolling the poo poo out of citizens from 2012 - 2016

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Imagining the emergent gameplay that would come when the crew mutinies and murders the captain in his luxurious stateroom, followed by a thorough teabagging.

You wouldn't want to teabag them though. Right now repeatedly crouching quickly causes a heart attack.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Viscous Soda posted:

You wouldn't want to teabag them though. Right now repeatedly crouching quickly causes a heart attack.

Yeah but what about the game?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Mirificus posted:

"There needs to be enough players with entry level ships so that they see it as a positive and privilege to be invited to work on my larger ship and become part of my crew. Their reward (apart from wages) will be to explore and adventure in places they would never survive solo. All in all it's a win win situation to own and crew a larger ship which will then be part of a fleet."

Jesus loving Christ.

There's a reason you have to PAY people to do all those loving jobs in real life. Also on a real ocean voyage, 95% of the time was spent either doing lovely, boring, dangerous or uncomfortable work, or desperately trying to find ways to stave off boredom and cabin fever because when it takes forever to get anywhere there are only so many times you can swab a deck or trim a sail, and the rest of the time you have to invent things to stop yourself going nuts (see Scrimshaw, ships in bottles etc)

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Will StarCitizen have space scrimshaw?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Extra Large Marge posted:

Will StarCitizen have space scrimshaw?

That's in Alpha 3.7.1, due out approximately 2040

LazyArtistry
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.

lol, they're the kind of person who will bitch and complain at everyone if something didn't go 100% their way. Then, I'm sure they will squeeze in a rant about SJWs or some gamergate crap before posting some terrible fanfic.

If they ever finish this game (they wont), the toxicity of the existing userbase will just drive new customers away.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Mirificus posted:

"There needs to be enough players with entry level ships so that they see it as a positive and privilege to be invited to work on my larger ship and become part of my crew. Their reward (apart from wages) will be to explore and adventure in places they would never survive solo. All in all it's a win win situation to own and crew a larger ship which will then be part of a fleet."

:allears: Don't let your eyes glaze over without reading the part about the 2 wineglasses.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

GodDamnArtist posted:

If they ever finish this game (they wont), the toxicity of the existing userbase will just drive new customers away.

https://twitter.com/AllenSpellwaver/status/1160625172048764928
https://twitter.com/nickl104/status/1160631719407566850

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Who is this billy bully

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

spacetoaster posted:

We were trolling the poo poo out of citizens from 2012 - 2016

I love the flow chart some one made, oohhhh 2 years or so, that laid out no matter what happens goons win.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Mirificus posted:

I love how this all distills down in to "All they need to do is add a game on to this game."

From "a few more NPC mission givers..." to "...they still have to work out how these things will affect the economy" it leaves the impression the only thing actually there is the ship.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Extra Large Marge posted:

Will StarCitizen have

Yes.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Mirificus posted:

Lol this is incredible, how is there a person like this

When describing that sailing game, are they aware that there's a game that exists now called Sea of Thieves which is actually pretty cool and not at all super boring and insane like that

Like, SoT does not require many hours of sea travel to get anywhere, does not need to have cargo itineraries and staff wages prepared, etc, things just happen because it is a videogame meant to be fun. I ain't got time for many hours of sea travel, some of us are grown adults with jobs and babies and stuff!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BexGu posted:

I love the flow chart some one made, oohhhh 2 years or so, that laid out no matter what happens goons win.

Once the smarter goons figured out that it what Chris and Sandi were promising was impossible, and we all got refunds (or sold everything on the grey market), it got real fun.

Because if the game is a sham and never comes out, we get to make fun of everyone. Goons win.

If the game does come out, and it's everything they said, goons buy it and play with everyone. Goons win.

It'd just be really bad if you had a bunch of money still in this thing.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
He describes so much of this as roleplaying, too. Is SC going to have a cooking minigame? A complex game of food preparation enough to keep someone's interest for hours a day? Or is he expecting the food to be roleplayed--someone just, sitting around VR-miming making food for 3 hours??

Like, the medical staff of 4 takes care of every day bruises and scuffs. Is that all roleplayed? Is that VR roleplay? Does one of the players go up to the doctor player and go "Hey I scraped my knee" and then they put him on the table and now they're Playing Doctor by passing their VR sticks over his VR body until they go "Mmm yes you're cured" "Oh thank you doctor i feel better already!" Like. You could do that right now in VRChat. Unless SC is going to have simulated body wear to the tiniest level why bother logging in to SC to Play Doctor pretend with other people for hours?

It's, the sheer derangement of his thinking this would be fun for anyone but him, the sheer conviction every single player has that they're going to be the captain and everyone else is going to play the servant. Buddy, do you remember playgrounds? Do you remember how upset you were when the other kids made you be the garbage man instead of the boss and then you stopped playing outside and went to play video games instead because being the garbage man isn't fun?

I'm having a serious crisis right now realizing that there are people this, detached from reality. I can't deal with this.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

We're over halfway through 2019 and there's no game.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
don't hate the player, hate the game and also the player as well

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

We're over halfway through 2019 and there's no game.
it's passed the point of self-parody and entered Zombie Simpsons inertia territory.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The game doesn't even matter anymore. It's just a name to pin on his fantasies. His description of the game isn't him describing the gameplay of a video game, it's just a nice, juvenile daydream about being a spaceship captain.

It's almost creative. If this guy would channel his obsession with SC and the fantasies it's spawned into writing, he could write some really lovely juvenile mary-sue sci-fi.

I did this when Star Wars Galaxies was coming out. I didn't know anything about the game, except that my friend had told me about this awesome Star Wars MMO that was coming out and it would be Just Like Star Wars and you could do whatever you wanted.

Of course, I was twelve, and daydreaming. This guy is a grown-rear end adult with a disposable income, posting his daydreams on the internet as fact. He literally cannot discern between make believe and reality.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1164128209476210688

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Imagining the emergent gameplay that would come when the crew mutinies and murders the captain in his luxurious stateroom, followed by a thorough teabagging.

Again, this is just Space Station 13.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Here's an example of Chris lying to make people think they needed to hand him vast amounts of money immediately:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

spacetoaster posted:

Here's an example of Chris lying to make people think they needed to hand him vast amounts of money immediately:

evil

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Devils Affricate posted:

To be fair to CIG, they're planning on implementing NPCs for bartenders, custodians, and other mundane jobs most players would never want to do. In a way I guess that makes it even more hilarious that despite knowing they will have this option, some players still yearn for a day when they can coerce other real human beings to do these things anyway.

frankly i think the meat in this game would be SS13 style "mix in a bunch of psychoactive bullshit and call it an Old Country Road just to see what happens" style bullshit but like, if i actually was interested in that i'd just play SS13?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I haven’t really followed it in two plus years but the sum total of all the little tidbits about his Vision (TM) for the economy that Crobberts poo poo out proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that:

1. He had never in his life played any sort of MMO and had absolutely zero idea of how any of their economies functioned, especially with regard to the sort of $ reward per hour of playing that is possible in games like his where there’s a direct RL$ to in game credit ratio.

2. His game was either going to result in the “pledge” ships being hilariously overpriced in relation to the effort it’d take to get them (eg a $400 ship would only take 20 or 30 hours to accrue in game) OR he was going to end up making the grindiest loving game in existence where it’d take 3+ months of hardcore effort to acquire even mid tier ships.

#2 resulted in a lot of infighting on the CIG forums between the morons that insisted the value of their monetary investment be preserved at all costs, vs the slightly less moronic that realized they should probably try and make a game that might actually attract a few new players and that wouldn’t happen if it took 200 hours of play to acquire and outfit a mid level ship.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Remember when Chris Roberts played Star Citizen for the first time on a stream and couldn't figure out the completely bog standard chat interface that's in like 90% of online games.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

The really interesting bit to me is how far everyone's sense of how business works, is behind how businesses actually run today.

Like every day I see people screaming about Anthem being a failure and not selling any copies. For the last period that I can find data for, the monetization was actually doing fine. Fallout 76, still monetizing just fine as far as I can tell. Anthem and Fallout 76 though were a little underwhelming in sales so a bunch of investor bonuses never paid out - whoops! I mean to be reeling in lots of revenue but not be paying any of that out to investors or even many developers you just cancel your road map and push things back, and you just stockpile all of that revenue as CEOs... that's not how they said business worked when I was in 4th grade! It's not like you could live off pledge money for years on end without releasing any product, that would be crazy.

Half-Life 3, Death Stranding, StarCitizen. These companies only stand to lose if they ever release. It's way smarter to just let the hype build and keep making vague promises only as necessary to keep the money train flowing.

If Kojima is smart, he'll push Death Stranding out to 2020, claim he's adding a ton of features, and launch a Kickstarter to fund it.

There is no simple way to stop this. There are too many bad trends in society converging at once. Crap regulation, terrible social media FOMO, etc.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Again, this is just Space Station 13.

Hey now, let's be fair. For some people who just want to cruise around in internet spaceships and take screenshots, it is a very stripped-down version of Elite: Dangerous.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

revwinnebago posted:

Half-Life 3, Death Stranding, StarCitizen. These companies only stand to lose if they ever release. It's way smarter to just let the hype build and keep making vague promises only as necessary to keep the money train flowing.

If Kojima is smart, he'll push Death Stranding out to 2020, claim he's adding a ton of features, and launch a Kickstarter to fund it.

There is no simple way to stop this. There are too many bad trends in society converging at once. Crap regulation, terrible social media FOMO, etc.

Why do you lump in Death Stranding with notorious vapourware? It was announced three years ago and now it's almost done and about to release. It's nothing at all like Star Citizen.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

One thing I’m waiting to see is how in the hell theyre going to balance poo poo like their Container Ship E that carries literally 2,048 times as much cargo as their Container Ship A.

There’s certainly lots of things you can tweak, eg making high value/high profit items available in extremely limited supply so your baby space truck can load up completely with diamond encrusted butt plugs but your enormous space truck can only fill its hold with low demand/profit dehydrated rat jizz or whatever.

But I’m not sure there’s solutions that don’t result in either Container Ship E people making obscene economy busting amounts of money, or Container Ship E people being super pissed that they paid $650 and are only making 10x as much as some scrub instead of 2000x as much like they “deserve.”

I played EQ2 at launch and their economy was pretty obviously hosed up resulting in massive nerfs and major game changes over the first six months. And that was a relatively simple economy in a game made by the people with the most MMO experience on the planet.

SC balancing on the other hand looks like it will be immensely complex and it’s being made by a retard.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

marktheando posted:

Why do you lump in Death Stranding with notorious vapourware? It was announced three years ago and now it's almost done and about to release. It's nothing at all like Star Citizen.

Yeah, Death Stranding appears to be a legitimate product with a normal development cycle. It's weird as balls and hyped to hell because it's Kojima, but that's not a strike against it as some sort of scam.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

marktheando posted:

I'm pretty sure the whole post was bullshit, I've never seen a video games company provide individual breakouts for a game in their financials. I'd like to see a cited source to believe that Anthem is doing just fine.

The accounting practices of all media / IP companies are sketch as hell, but that doesn't mean they have infinite money as long as they never realize their losses. They move money around in artificial ways because it's a feast and famine business. Hollywood accounting isn't done only to screw actors out of their points, it also hides money from the taxman.

(To bring this back to Star Citizen, Crobbler and his biz partner shyster ran a hollywood studio so crooked that they got sued and blacklisted. They made Lord of War though, so that's one good thing he's been associated with.)

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Klyith posted:

I'm pretty sure the whole post was bullshit, I've never seen a video games company provide individual breakouts for a game in their financials. I'd like to see a cited source to believe that Anthem is doing just fine.

The accounting practices of all media / IP companies are sketch as hell, but that doesn't mean they have infinite money as long as they never realize their losses. They move money around in artificial ways because it's a feast and famine business. Hollywood accounting isn't done only to screw actors out of their points, it also hides money from the taxman.

(To bring this back to Star Citizen, Crobbler and his biz partner shyster ran a hollywood studio so crooked that they got sued and blacklisted. They made Lord of War though, so that's one good thing he's been associated with.)

Thanks God for Kevin Costner.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Death Stranding is a completely valid comparison because Kojima, just like Chris Roberts, is full of poo poo ideas and is only in the industry because he made one decent thing decades ago. Kojima just manages to surround himself with people who make a good game despite him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

didn't loving Puzzle Pirates manage to pull this off, where the players all have their own minigames while the captain maneuvers the ship about? Also I think it's called, Bridge Commander?

Bridge Commander had NPCs working various stations while the player mostly ordered things around via menus, though you could take manual control over some things.
Ubisoft had Red Storm make Bridge Crew which has four separate stations (captain, helm, tactical and engineering) that people can play online and it works pretty well. That's probably what you were thinking about?