Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Because of the distance to the mountain, you're going to get a lot of atmospheric effects, pulling everything towards blue-grey, and making things fuzzier. That's why going sharper looks wrong, because it's actually making it less realistic. There's lots of good tutes online about it, youtube is your friend.

The clouds look a little solid to me, and I'm not convinced about the placement of the one around the figure's head, it looks kinda like an afro, adds a note of comedy that clashes with the atmosphere I think you're after.

Adding something in the foreground might help with the sense of depth, just the top of a tree or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Oh no I didn’t see it as an Afro and now I do oh noooo

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Something I did for my Choose Your Own Adventure:

A bunch of the items are/will be clickable to take you to other screens.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Wrist is finally mended enough to draw properly! :woop:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

another cave painting

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

A tale in four sketches done in two hours:

I

Feel

poo poo

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

step 1, draw a few circles
step 2,

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

step 2,

:swoon:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Futaba Anzu posted:

step 2,

Ah, the How To Draw book is coming along well I see.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a fourier transformation joke to be done on the owl meme.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Elentor posted:

There's a fourier transformation joke to be done on the owl meme.

Just add noise?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shinmera posted:

Just add noise?

I was thinking
A: Draw a circle.
B: Draw 92 epicycles.

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

lofi posted:

really like this.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a monster

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Let's try and paint the sky! Some WIPs.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
painting clouds is really tricky to get at first but once i found a nice workflow, it became really fun and relaxing

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Yeah, none of them are to my liking really so I need more practise. It could also be caused by the hot press paper, the more I use it, the better I understand the general disliking for it. So I'll try this again with some nice grained paper.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, I want to love hp, I prefer smooth paper, but you just can't get fancy techniques to work on it. unless you use really fancy stuff, that is, arches aquarelle does just fine, it's just eye-wateringly expensive.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

Yeah, I want to love hp, I prefer smooth paper, but you just can't get fancy techniques to work on it. unless you use really fancy stuff, that is, arches aquarelle does just fine, it's just eye-wateringly expensive.
Yeah, ehm, so this is arches.
I don't like the hp very much and can gift you the sheets I have left? You are in the uk? If willing, you can mail me at [myusername]@gmail ...

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lincolnstein posted:

really like this.

Same. I wish I didn't have a migraine aura that was so easy to trigger from spiral patterns, because the spiral hatching transition from light to dark is absolutely beautiful and they give such a powerful texture.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Al! posted:

a monster

haha

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

lofi posted:

:perfect:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Imgur is being an rear end. https://c10.patreonusercontent.com/...CJBjH-a9O9bY%3D

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks, I was really pleased with the shading - I've been ripping off inspired by Sergio Toppi: http://www.chrisiliff.co.uk/index.php/more-on-sergio-toppi/

Keetron, have mailed you.

lofi fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 21, 2019

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I drew a dog playing a saxophone and things then kinda spiraled out of control from there.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Some recent doodles.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
I feel like I posted progress pics of this looong ago. Then life happened, and I got super busy, but here's the finished version:

Something I'm currently working on:

Not really sure what to do with the background. Any suggestions are welcome.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Sk8ers4Christ posted:

I feel like I posted progress pics of this looong ago. Then life happened, and I got super busy, but here's the finished version:

This is fantastic. Is it Vivien Leigh between takes on Gone With The Wind?

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Sk8ers4Christ posted:

Not really sure what to do with the background. Any suggestions are welcome.

My only suggestion on this is to contrast the stillness of the subject with some sort of speed in the background. As if on a speeding train or having time-lapsed traffic speeding in the distance. I think that makes sense?

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

IkeTurner posted:

This is fantastic. Is it Vivien Leigh between takes on Gone With The Wind?

Thank you! Yes, you are correct. :)

IkeTurner posted:

My only suggestion on this is to contrast the stillness of the subject with some sort of speed in the background. As if on a speeding train or having time-lapsed traffic speeding in the distance. I think that makes sense?

That makes sense! Thank you for the suggestion. That gave me an idea of having people in the background with some kind of motion blur effect.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

William Dafoe?

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Keetron posted:

William Dafoe?

No, but he'd probably be pretty great in the biopic.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Dog based slime puns.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1165019875808616450

Plus, here's some more dog!

my buddy Superfly fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 24, 2019

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Went on another Explore and Draw session, this time at Rochester Cathedral, down in one of the chapels.

This was with a sort of water soluble wax crayon, but I think it's a bit of a gimmick medium really.

A combination of some really soft pencils and metallic pencils from Derwent,

And this one was watercolour with fineliner outlines. The reflections started to make a face, so I sort of tried to lift it out. I like the effect of the water colour, but not end result.

Other sketches
This is a tiny water colour of a WW2 pillbox that fell down the cliffs.

These were from another Explore and Draw, this time in a lightship that's been converted to an art centre. Much prefer these to the cathedral pieces.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

requesting a critique on this one because it feels like a high point in terms of lighting

edit:

Al! fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 25, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

edit one more

oops double post ok another one

just having a really productive sunday ok?

Al! fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

This one's really nice! The brush strokes and colour give it a lot of intensity.

November: