Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can always ask the butcher too. Who knows about large market but my local one will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
All the thin slices of beef I’ve seen were at Asian markets

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You can always ask the butcher too. Who knows about large market but my local one will.

This. They might not have it pre-shaved in the meat coolers, but any store with a butcher's department will be able to shave it for you. Just tell them what cut you want shaved (usually sirloin, iirc), and how much you want. When I ask for special cuts, they normally say something akin to "sure, come back in 10 minutes and we'll have it done for you." I do my other shopping, come back, and the guy hands me a package of whatever I asked for.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
e: nvm!!!

Putty fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 18, 2019

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

nwin posted:

Recently moved from Boston to Virginia and I need some help.

In Boston, most of the grocery stores sell shaved steak or shaved rib eye, which I use to make steak and cheese wraps or subs. It’s very thinly sliced steak like they froze it and put it through a deli slicer.

I haven’t been able to find that in Virginia at all. How can I recreate it when I don’t have a deli sliced at home? Even if I freeze a steak I don’t think I can cut it that thin.

I was just at Giant in Arlington and passed some shaved steak in the fresh meat section. I never buy it for myself, but I feel like I've seen it somewhat often there. I've never asked, but if you ask the butcher to shave some for you, that seems like something they'd be happy to do

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just chiming in to say I've seen shaved beef in every giant Ice ever been in in the area.
It's usually sold as a $5 special so it may not be with the rest of the meats but more in the free standing cabinets in the middle of the meat department.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

any tried chickpea pasta - does it suck, is there any trick to cooking it?

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

THS posted:

any tried chickpea pasta - does it suck, is there any trick to cooking it?

I've used it a few times at work for the pasta salad that goes in our boxed lunches. The texture is close to regular pasta, and it definitely tastes like chickpeas, but it seems like there's a fine line between al dente and a sad squishy mess.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I was left a lot of mushrooms, champignons, and I need ideas for them. I never cook them myself, not a big fan, so I'm looking for something were they don't dominate.

Edit: preferably vegetarian

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Chickpea pasta texture is only close to regular pasta if you only ever eat cheap dried pasta it's incomparable to fresh pasta or even the higher end dried product.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like it in pasta salad. Not so much as like, a sauced dish.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

im going to try it with a rigatoni or penne pasta bake. homemade tomato sauce, mushrooms, zucchini, some melted cheese. ill undercook the chickpea pasta.

my mistake is probably trying to make pasta “healthy” but maybe itll be good??

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Sandtrout Catsuit posted:

I'm going to Hawaii and staying in a condo with a kitchen. What should I cook?

Not really cooking, but eat some of the seasonal white pineapple if you can find it. I got one at a farmer's market on the Big Island around this time last year. It was like a more delicate version of a normal pineapple with very fresh flavor and a softer texture that doesn't tear up your mouth as bad as the yellow ones. Really good.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

Flunky posted:

Not really cooking, but eat some of the seasonal white pineapple if you can find it. I got one at a farmer's market on the Big Island around this time last year. It was like a more delicate version of a normal pineapple with very fresh flavor and a softer texture that doesn't tear up your mouth as bad as the yellow ones. Really good.

https://kauaisugarloaf.com/products/kauai-sugarloaf-pineapple
I am a pig seriously considering buying one

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

DoubleDonut posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for resources (cookbooks, websites, video series, whatever) on cakes and pastries? I do a lot of desserts, but that's mostly candy (which is significantly different) and pretty foolproof stuff like simple pies and cobblers, and I'd like to start doing stuff that's fancier.

Preppy Kitchen is a good resource for many different kinds of sweets (cakes, pies, as well as some savory dishes and cocktails), and he's entertaining to watch in his youtube videos as well.

Dude looooooooves his frosting, though, so fair warning.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

THS posted:

im going to try it with a rigatoni or penne pasta bake. homemade tomato sauce, mushrooms, zucchini, some melted cheese. ill undercook the chickpea pasta.

my mistake is probably trying to make pasta “healthy” but maybe itll be good??

Get fresh pasta and cook it less/faster. It has a much smaller impact on your blood sugar than you'd expect for a refined starch. Also try portions that aren't a half pound per person.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Rice or lentil pasta does better as a "healthy" pasta substitute. The chickpea stuff is ok but the texture is off.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Vacation with my wife's family has sent me down the road of learning to make German food. Anyone have a good rouladen recipe? I've assisted assembling it before, but didn't get a great idea of ratios or what went into the gravy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

uguu posted:

I was left a lot of mushrooms, champignons, and I need ideas for them. I never cook them myself, not a big fan, so I'm looking for something were they don't dominate.

Finely chop them, sauté with garlic and onions and make a duxelles. Make a beef Wellington, and make it vegetarian by not eating the beef part.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

uguu posted:

Wash, pat dry, slice. Steam or roast about as much asparagus as you have mushrooms. Melt a couple Tbsp of butter in a fry pan, brown the mushrooms on both sides. Throw in the asparagus at the end, add some balsamic vinegar, s&p, bounce around to distribute, plate.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Thanks for the suggestions.
I gave them away to my brother however.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Why are canned tomatoes so accepted even among food snobs? Don't mean this as a knock on canned tomatoes at all. just made a nice sauce with canned san marzanos and red wine. But even huge fresh food people like Gordon Ramsay, who I genuinely assumed didn't own a can opener, uses canned tomatoes in recipes.

Is it because they can so well there's little to no depreciation in quality? Is it because fresh tomatoes are hard to come by in poo poo climates like the UK? Is it because working with fresh tomatoes in sauces are too tedious to be worth it?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Well the processing involved in canning the tomatoes increases the lycopene content.

Also, it'd be pretty difficult to get legit AOP San Marzanos outside of Italy without canning :v:

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Bluedeanie posted:

Is it because they can so well there's little to no depreciation in quality? Is it because fresh tomatoes are hard to come by in poo poo climates like the UK? Is it because working with fresh tomatoes in sauces are too tedious to be worth it?

all of the above. Good canned tomatoes are really good and grocery store tomatoes in winter are really sad

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bluedeanie posted:

Why are canned tomatoes so accepted even among food snobs? Don't mean this as a knock on canned tomatoes at all. just made a nice sauce with canned san marzanos and red wine. But even huge fresh food people like Gordon Ramsay, who I genuinely assumed didn't own a can opener, uses canned tomatoes in recipes.

Canned tomatoes are usually canned at the peak part of their growth / ripeness. A can of tomatoes in the winter is gonna end up a lot better tasting than some hydroponics grown storage tomatoes that were refrigerated for a long time and sold in a grocery store in december etc.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Canned tomatoes can also be specific varieties meant to taste good, instead of look pretty and be durable enough to survive.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Vacation with my wife's family has sent me down the road of learning to make German food. Anyone have a good rouladen recipe? I've assisted assembling it before, but didn't get a great idea of ratios or what went into the gravy.

Rouladen is literally one of my favorites.

1 1/2 lb of flank steak, sliced thin (1/8" thick, 3 inches wide, get the butcher to do this.)
1 Onion - cut into ribbon slices
1 jar of whole-grain mustard
1 jar of dill pickles (spears if precut, if not cut them into spears so that they're no larger than 1/2" on a side) - the crunchier the better
1 lb thick sliced bacon (*NOTE*. Bacon should not be thicker than the beef. Honestly, have twice the number of strips of bacon that you do the slices of beef instead of relying on weight on this)

3 cups of beef broth or stock
3 Tbs Flour
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Bay leaf
Salt to taste

Vegetable (or Avacado) Oil
Toothpicks
Large pan or dutch oven with a good fitting lid
Beer

1) On your cutting board, lay out a slice of beef.
2) Spread mustard evenly down the middle 2/3rds of the slice.
3) Lay two strips of bacon, side by side on top of the mustard.
4) On one end, lay a pickle, and a couple of the onion ribbons.
5) Roll the Rouladen up nice and tight, and secure the loose end with a toothpick (pro-tip, don't leave too much toothpick hanging out of the meat. This will make it easier to get all the sides nice and brown without the toothpick getting in the way).
6) Repeat the above steps until you're out of beef.
7) In a large pan or dutch oven, add an even coating of oil (not too much, but enough to coat the bottom), brown the Rouladen on all sides. I use medium high heat for this.
8) Add in the remaining onions, and stir them around until they start to brown just a little.
9) Add in the beef broth and spices, cover the pan, and simmer on low heat for 30 miutes.
10) Turn the Rouladen over, add beer if the liquid level has dropped, and simmer for 30 more minutes
11) Pull the Rouladen out of the liquid
12) Whisk in the flour a tablespoon at a time until the gravy is desired thickness. I normally use three tablespoons of flour.

Serve with a side of potato dumplings or spaetzel, and some red cabbage.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 21, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Veritek83 posted:

all of the above. Good canned tomatoes are really good and grocery store tomatoes in winter are really sad

Yep. If you're cooking with tomatoes cans are going to be superior quality to anything fresh you can get unless it's home grown/farmer's market stuff.

Even then it's not necessarily better. We grew a shitload of San Marzanos one year for making sauces and our own canning and the amount of processing required is way more than you think it is. End result was... no real difference from store cans, either from the home canned ones or fresh. We didn't bother growing them again.

The ones I've had fresh in Italy growing out of volcanic soil from Mount Vesuvius were real good, but uh. Not exactly an every day deal there.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Weltlich posted:

Rouladen is literally one of my favorites.

Holy poo poo, I know what I’m making for dinner

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm looking for a specific texture of chocolate icing. It should be thin enough to flood an area, but it should set up to get harder, at least enough to get a skin . . . but it should still be flexible. Tempered chocolate is way too brittle. Ganache I'm not sure would set up well. Corn syrup might also make it too soft.

The goal is like, you know Dunkin Donuts' chocolate icing? It's soft and flexible, but as it sits, it firms up enough that the donuts can be stacked or that you can touch it without getting covered in chocolate. But also, I want it to taste like chocolate and not be full of gums.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm looking for a specific texture of chocolate icing. It should be thin enough to flood an area, but it should set up to get harder, at least enough to get a skin . . . but it should still be flexible. Tempered chocolate is way too brittle. Ganache I'm not sure would set up well. Corn syrup might also make it too soft.

The goal is like, you know Dunkin Donuts' chocolate icing? It's soft and flexible, but as it sits, it firms up enough that the donuts can be stacked or that you can touch it without getting covered in chocolate. But also, I want it to taste like chocolate and not be full of gums.

Maybe just adding cocoa powder to a powdered sugar + water glaze type icing?

e: \/\/\/ :hfive:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pretty much every chocolate donut glaze I've seen has been cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and milk/water

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sorry, I should've said it was for, duh. The goal is Boston cream cupcakes to be served at a reception, so the icing has to be notably flavorful, but I'm not trying to get all these people covered in chocolate. Dark ganache would be the norm for Boston cream whatever; I'm just not sure it could be thin enough to flood plus set up to a fudgelike texture.

I do have super dark cocoa powder, I can experiment with that, I'm still just not sure it'd be enough

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

Sorry, I should've said it was for, duh. The goal is Boston cream cupcakes to be served at a reception, so the icing has to be notably flavorful, but I'm not trying to get all these people covered in chocolate. Dark ganache would be the norm for Boston cream whatever; I'm just not sure it could be thin enough to flood plus set up to a fudgelike texture.

I do have super dark cocoa powder, I can experiment with that, I'm still just not sure it'd be enough

I made eclairs a couple weeks ago and used the serious eats recipe for the chocolate glaze. Basically ganache plus corn syrup. When refrigerated, at least, I was able to stack them without a mess.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Maybe you can add gelatin to the frosting to help its room temperature consistency. I’ve never made frosting and I’m a baking moron, so this advice might not be useful.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
They did something similar in a video I just watched. Add coconut butter/oil to melted chocolate to keep it soft when it sets.

I'm a baking moron as well, same disclaimer applies.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Hating on canned/frozen products as a general rule is one of those things that people think makes them sound like an expert but really just exposes them as posturing novices. Some other examples include claiming that good restaurants never have microwaves in the kitchen, screw cap wine is always bad, and using anything but fresh-cut fries is cheating. It's all raw materials and tools, you pick the right tool for the job.

Not hating on you Bluedeanie, just venting about people I know IRL.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Make me feel better about my stupid chicken. Bought a large pack of boneless thighs at our local ~natural~ grocery store (Fresh Thyme) and opened it up to toss in the instapot to make some quick tinga. Smelled a lot more chlorine-y than I'm used to, although I generally follow the rule of "smell raw chicken and if you gag toss it, otherwise most likely it's fine!" Packing date was 8/19, use by date was 8/23. It's not super organic pricey chicken so I know it gets the whole chlorine etc bath to reduce disease potential but the smell is so unnatural as opposed to the general sulfur-y smell I feel like plastic packed raw chicken can get and that I'm used to. It was a larger value pack type deal, so I know there's a chance the chicken is older than the date and they're just trying to move units. Likely ok or should I be asking for a refund for the next time I'm at the store?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah just take it back asap, you could freeze it if you wont be going back for a few days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
also what's everyone's go-to ios app for recipe organization? paprika? i have a shitload of recipes bookmarked but only been able to import some into evernote (which isnt great these days)