Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So I guess there’s basically no japanese people in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A classroom globe in Korea.

Hm, wonder what this sticker is about. Peel that poo poo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lycus posted:

No one noticed dinky South America?

I think it's still making out better than tiny Africa.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
India: approximately the size of Africa.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Zohar posted:

The map NASA doesn't want you to see

Big Korea Energy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

legend

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ah yes, the Sotadic Zone, definitely a rigorous scientific concept

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Doesn't include the UK, disproven, next please

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

steinrokkan posted:

A guy with a biography like this isn’t going to include his own island:

quote:

Sir Richard Francis Burton KCMG FRGS (/ˈbɜːrtən/; 19 March 1821 – 20 October 1890) was a British explorer, geographer, translator, writer, soldier, orientalist, cartographer, ethnologist, spy, linguist, poet, fencer, and diplomat.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

the huge Korea map is sized for, what, how many Koreans live in each area?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Peanut Butler posted:

the huge Korea map is sized for, what, how many Koreans live in each area?

Yes. But what I don’t understand is why it turned most of the rest of the world into a desert, like even India is colored a desert yellow.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

A guy with a biography like this isn’t going to include his own island:

Ah, so it was less of a map and more of an itinerary.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Do you guys not know who Burton or what his deal was lol

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

NO2 forecast for the next few days.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Do you guys not know who Burton or what his deal was lol

Is he that Sir Forginton Sexbeard guy?

e: After a quick BIS: amazingly enough (considering his beard and ways) not the Sir Forginton Sexbeard I was thinking of :prepop:

ee: Yeah I conflated him with Sir Edmund Backhouse.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 20, 2019

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Saladman posted:

Yes. But what I don’t understand is why it turned most of the rest of the world into a desert, like even India is colored a desert yellow.

Korea is the only place on Earth with seasons after all

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Honj Steak posted:

NO2 forecast for the next few days.

It's really fascinating how you can see the most important shipping lanes too. Does anybody know what's up with those scattered NO² hotspots in Siberia and the two very consistent ones in southern Alaska?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

System Metternich posted:

It's really fascinating how you can see the most important shipping lanes too. Does anybody know what's up with those scattered NO² hotspots in Siberia and the two very consistent ones in southern Alaska?

Yeah, those are the centers for :redacted by the Illuminati:.

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go

System Metternich posted:

Wildfires

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If you had a general map of particles in the air, Siberia would light up like a Christmas tree. The fire raging there is insane.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Like so?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yup.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

I appreciate how this post told me with 100% certainty what the map was about. Britain has one of the strongest brands in the world.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
From 1907

You'll probably have to open in a new tab to read the text

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The easiest way to quickly visually estimate how distorted a map is is to compare the island of Great Britain with Nigeria. Great Britain actually could fit inside Nigeria north to south, the whole thing.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I appreciate how this post told me with 100% certainty what the map was about. Britain has one of the strongest brands in the world.

Wait, what? Strongest brands? He was referring to the pederasty map and making a joke, I thought? Britain was not exactly a hotspot for pederasty in 1850.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The easiest way to quickly visually estimate how distorted a map is is to compare the island of Great Britain with Nigeria. Great Britain actually could fit inside Nigeria north to south, the whole thing.

That's kind of a strange comparison for anyone who is not British-Nigerian. If you're going to compare it to something equatorial, then why not Republic of Congo? Then they're the same shape too. Also related, this has probably come up before in the thread, but: https://thetruesize.com/
is a really cool site for doing exactly that. Unfortunately it doesn't let you rotate or mirror countries.

Also despite map distortion, I get the impression most people think that Great Britain is much smaller than it actually is. On travel forums I see all the time people who think it's reasonable to like, drive from London to Edinburgh for a weekend of sightseeing.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 21, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean I've done longer drives than that for long weekend trips. Probably helps if you're used to North American distances.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

It’s a what, seven hour drive? Perfectly acceptable for a weekend if you can leave London on Friday after lunch. We would go shopping for clothes to Trieste from Yugoslavia. My dad would drive seven hours each way on terrible roads. In a 750cc engined, Serbian made, Fiat licensed car. We would leave around three am and return on the same day. NBD

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I mean I've done longer drives than that for long weekend trips. Probably helps if you're used to North American distances.

Yeah it’s only like 7 hours. Take Friday afternoon off work, arrive in the evening, do stuff all Saturday and Sunday morning, leave Sunday afternoon or time it with a Monday holiday for a more relaxed trip. It’s a bit rushed but not too far out if you have something particular to do like a conference.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Great Britain Nigeria thing is an easy comparison because they're nearly the same longitude. Look at Great Britain, move your eyes down a little to Nigeria. The larger Great Britain is on the map north to south compared to Nigeria, the more distorted the map is. It's simple and easy.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

PittTheElder posted:

Outside of small stateland though... that seems really long and terrible to me. :shrug:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Saladman posted:

Wait, what? Strongest brands? He was referring to the pederasty map and making a joke, I thought? Britain was not exactly a hotspot for pederasty in 1850.
Britain's current brand is being the Paedoph Isles.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Grape posted:

Outside of small stateland though... that seems really long and terrible to me. :shrug:

Well the particular drive I'm thinking of is Calgary to Penticton, right through the heart of the Rockies, and it kind of owns.

I've also done some long rear end drives through say, southern Utah. Never again.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Great Britain Nigeria thing is an easy comparison because they're nearly the same longitude. Look at Great Britain, move your eyes down a little to Nigeria. The larger Great Britain is on the map north to south compared to Nigeria, the more distorted the map is. It's simple and easy.

I like this post because being able to scan your eyes south from Britain to Nigeria actually highlights how LITTLE distorted a map is, at least in terms of one variable. In order for this to work a map must have minimal angular distortion, otherwise, your eyes would not find Nigeria at all.

All map projections involve the distortion of three properties: Angle, distance, and area. A map can preserve only one at the same time. This Britain-Nigeria comparison works on a Mercator, designed for navigation, because it minimizes angular distortion by sacrificing area. However without the lines of longitude for reference you might have a hard time making this comparison with a Dymaxion, which projects the earth onto an unfurled dodecahedron and when laid flat does not preserve direction or angle despite preserving area.

example of a terrible map with the Dymaxion projection:

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
This page has a bunch of odd maps of New York

3D models of contemporary Manhattan overlaid on an old map of the city

Where the rich guys in the city are.

An 1885 map of "Beerdom" in the 11th Ward in lower Manhattan was published by the Christian Union newspaper, along with an article lamenting the fact that in this one neighborhood which was surveyed by temperance supporters, there were only 19 churches and synagogues, but over 340 saloons, catering to the mostly German population, who, according to the article, used to drink themselves blind every night.

Sitcom map of the city

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I've also done some long rear end drives through say, southern Utah. Never again.

But southern Utah is gorgeous?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The worst drive is cetral Nebraska to the midwest or vice versa.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

dublish posted:

But southern Utah is gorgeous?

In my experience it was the least interesting part of the Rockies I'd ever seen, just miles and miles of watching sage brush and low hills go by.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah the Canadian prairies are the same way. God damned Saskatchewan.

And really south eastern Alberta for that matter. My favorite road game is to look around and find the places where you can see no trees at all (and often no clouds either).

e: VVV picked a random spot on the way to a campground I actually like, looks almost exactly the same https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.2078794,-110.2844174,3a,85.2y,215.34h,82.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKRNvvq3JsuEYyeluUSKxNA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 21, 2019

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

*picks a random road in central Nebraska on Streetview*

While that looks like an absolutely horrible drive for anything that's longer than like half an hour, it's not as flat as I expected tbh. That's the road from Tryon to Mullen in Hooker County ( :wink: ), btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I drove home from a job in Las Vegas once, heading back east. On the way there I took the southern route and home was I-70. It's loving amazing until you pass Denver, and then... there is literally nothing at all to see until eastern Missouri. It's incredible.

Was one highlight though, I was in nowhere Kansas at night and good lord was that sky gorgeous. No light pollution to be seen.