Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MightyJoe36 posted:

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. A day off from work, no cards, no gifts, no decorations, no holiday music. Just getting together with my family and friends, eating a big dinner, drinking beer, and watching football.

Thank you for reminding me what really gets to me about Christmas going on so long: it's the only holiday with a dedicated playlist, and there aren't nearly enough unique songs to excuse that. Countless covers of the same songs, from the decent medieval ones to the annoying 40s ones, to the terrible terrible 70s and 80s ones, and the less we say about XMas music after that the better.

Every other aspect of Christmas, from the happy to the stressful to the depressing, is monstrously worsened by the strains of Christmas music grating away at you anywhere there's a speaker grille able to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MightyJoe36 posted:

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. A day off from work, no cards, no gifts, no decorations, no holiday music. Just getting together with my family and friends, eating a big dinner, drinking beer, and watching football.

That's pretty much every holiday in my family

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

Thank you for reminding me what really gets to me about Christmas going on so long: it's the only holiday with a dedicated playlist, and there aren't nearly enough unique songs to excuse that. Countless covers of the same songs, from the decent medieval ones to the annoying 40s ones, to the terrible terrible 70s and 80s ones, and the less we say about XMas music after that the better.

Every other aspect of Christmas, from the happy to the stressful to the depressing, is monstrously worsened by the strains of Christmas music grating away at you anywhere there's a speaker grille able to play it.

It's all about the boomers

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
one of my pet peeves is how on somethingawful there's like this unspoken "if you are enthusiastic about a piece of media and want to talk about aspects of it that you enjoy you're a loving loser nerd"

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Kanine posted:

one of my pet peeves is how on somethingawful there's like this unspoken "if you are enthusiastic about a piece of media and want to talk about aspects of it that you enjoy you're a loving loser nerd"

also if you like ____ you're a child

as if actual adults give a poo poo, lol. reminds me of being a kid and insisting i was an adult because i don't watch that show-- it's for babies

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nobody has that attitude if its something cool though, but if you like Star Wars then yeah

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

yeah but who fuckin cares? i could give a poo poo about star wars, etc, but it doesn't affect me if someone likes it

edit: i guess getting caremad about what other people like is the real pet peeve here

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If you have any hobbies or interests you're a manchild, and if you have any physical possessions they are a dick substitute.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

MightyJoe36 posted:

In my experience it starts out that way, but when you have multiple family members that turn into alex jones after a glass of wine or two it's a ticking time bomb. Once the talk about "the libs" and "the globalists" putting chemicals in the water start everyone not involved (the sane ones) breaks off into different rooms and watches football in silence until a sufficient amount of time passes that it doesn't feel rude to leave.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If you have any hobbies or interests you're a manchild, and if you have any physical possessions they are a dick substitute.

This is true though. Real adults focus on creating value

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

value deez nutz

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Silver Falcon posted:

Back to school season infuriates me somehow. I haven't been in school for a dang decade and I still cringe when the back to school sales happen.

And it's worse this year than I recall. Kohl's and Staples started on that poo poo right after 4th of July. Fuckers, kids don't go back to school until early September! Chill the gently caress out and let kids enjoy their summer vacation! I remember what it was like that moment every year when I'd walk into Target with my mom, see the Back to School!!!! banners everywhere and die a little inside. :smith: Now you wanna start on that poo poo when the kids still have two months left?! gently caress off.

In my area the kids went back to school literally the first week of August :smith: So the 4th of July back to school poo poo was appropriate.

Now my pet peeve is kids going back to school way too early.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In my experience it starts out that way, but when you have multiple family members that turn into alex jones after a glass of wine or two it's a ticking time bomb. Once the talk about "the libs" and "the globalists" putting chemicals in the water start everyone not involved (the sane ones) breaks off into different rooms and watches football in silence until a sufficient amount of time passes that it doesn't feel rude to leave.

Yeah, you're talking about my MIL and my wife and her sister have learned over the years how to steer her off into a different direction using scratch-offs and more wine. My sons and I have retired to the living room to watch football and drink beer by this time.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
People (well, friends) who won't just ask you for a favour.

Got a message from a friend today that was a multi-paragraph moan about how the postman hadn't dropped off a package of car parts that he needed to fix his car that he needs for Friday, and now the package was at the local post office and he was at work all the time the office was open unless he raced back home and then fixed the car in the evening etc. Oh Woe Is Me.

I reply along the lines of "yeah, that sucks when that happens. What's up with the car?" and I get back another long rant about how crummy the Royal Mail is and how he can't *believe* he's got to hurry back from work to try and get the parcel before the office closes and he can't be sure he's going to make it and he really needs the car to work on Friday and it's all so difficult.

Alright, I see what's going on here, so I ping back "I'm happy to help if I can, but I'm not sure how!" and I instantly get a detailed plan back about how he can leave the delivery card in his porch, I go over to get it in the morning and then go to the post office, get the package and then run it over to his work so he can fit the parts during his lunch hour in the car park.

Which is fine. I'm happy to do it and I'm sure he'd do the same for me if I was in a similar jam but, dude, just ask! We're friends, and helping each other is kind of the basic job description. Just say "Hey, the loving Royal Mail have a package for me at the depot, would you be able to go and get it for me while I'm at work?" Don't go fishing for help from me like I'm not going to give it willingly.

Also, you've known your car needed new coil packs for months, but you always end up doing these things at the last minute and then getting all fraught when something goes wrong (like not getting the package on the expected date...) Sort this stuff out as it arises and you won't be permanently in crisis mode!

Peeve 2: People who can't do even a little bit of forward planning and then get angry when it bites them in the rear end.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ebola Roulette posted:

In my area the kids went back to school literally the first week of August :smith: So the 4th of July back to school poo poo was appropriate.

Now my pet peeve is kids going back to school way too early.

Christ, that's terrible. When do they let out?

Related peeve I guess, not giving kids time to be kids.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
In Texas schools got out in May and went back in August and the New York they get out in late June and go back after Labor Day

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

BalloonFish posted:

People (well, friends) who won't just ask you for a favour.

Peeve 2: People who can't do even a little bit of forward planning and then get angry when it bites them in the rear end.

I have the opposite problem to peeve 1: my roommate relies on me doing her favors, which I never should have done the first goddamn time she asked because she's now spent a year taking advantage of my kindness and planning her entire loving life around the assumption that I will be there to give her a ride or lend her money.

Leads right into peeve 2. She can't plan ahead and just assumes that somebody will bail her out if she whines enough. She once asked me to lend her some money until payday, which was literally two days away. I said no and she offered to pay me back $20 more than she was asking for. THIS IS WHY YOU'RE ALWAYS loving BROKE, YOU IRRESPONSIBLE IDIOT

also because I manage the building for the landlord she assumes that all household things are my responsibility and actually loving had the audacity to demand that I replace a lightbulb in her room and told me it was my job

she never takes out the trash and now I realize it's because she thinks it is literally my job to clean up after her

does she seriously think the tenants in the other apartments come bug me when a loving lightbulb burns out

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Silver Falcon posted:

Christ, that's terrible. When do they let out?

They get out in mid-May. In the south it's kinda nice to have some time during early summer cuz by July/August playing outside can be loving miserable.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

Peeve: the idea that a summer vacation is necessary. Sure, some of them might spend it doing self study or going on an expedition camp or something, but most just watch Let's Plays or some poo poo for 3 months, and forget a lot of what they learned during the last school year. Also disrupts schedules and puts parents on the hook for child care.

School should be year round, with more frequent breaks spread out

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

Peeve: the idea that a summer vacation is necessary. Sure, some of them might spend it doing self study or going on an expedition camp or something, but most just watch Let's Plays or some poo poo for 3 months, and forget a lot of what they learned during the last school year. Also disrupts schedules and puts parents on the hook for child care.

School should be year round, with more frequent breaks spread out

Summer vacation kicks rear end you weirdo

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Andrast posted:

Summer vacation kicks rear end you weirdo

Yeah it kicks rear end to have the school system turn out worse students

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

Yeah it kicks rear end to have the school system turn out worse students

Somehow countries with good education systems manage to have summer breaks and have kids learn stuff just fine. If a summer break fucks your schooling up the problem is not with the summer break.

Also there is more to life than being a better student

Andrast has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Aug 21, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it originates from when 99% of the population were farmers and it's insan e that the shool year is still so short compared to other countries like Japan. Government will never change it through because it means teachers would need to be paid more.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What is even the point of children if they arent turning out results or creating value

What the gently caress is "fun"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Danaru posted:

Precisely what I mean though, 'fun' is nice but isn't so sacred that a quarter of the year needs to be blocked off for it, a week or two would fit everyone's needs better

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Bobby Digital posted:

Pretty sure adults can have preferences.

My favorite color is Reflex Blue. I'm red-green color blind and it's the strongest color that I can always see. I don't like it per-se. I just can see it well.

Also, yes, I can see yellow. Everyone can see yellow. Don't hold a number two pencil in front of me and ask me what color it is. I know it's yellow. Try pink. Red-green color blind people have a lot of trouble with pink. If it looks pink to me, it's actually light red. True pink looks like white to me.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Sunswipe posted:

Agreed. I love Kung Pow! Enter the Fist, Commando, and Heat, to give three examples of some favorite movies. How the hell do you declare one of those "better" than the others? Kung Pow is a terrible drama, while Heat comes up short when I want some laughs. Commando... ok, I can watch Commando pretty much any mood I'm in.

After my dad retired from farming, he applied for a job at Barnes and Noble. They asked him what his favorite book was. He said, "I have 10,000 books at my house. I don't have a favorite." This is true, he has well over 10,000. They said, "But you must have a favorite..." He said, "I'm reading (x) and (y) right now and I'm a pretty big fan of (z) but that's just today. Again, I have 10,000 books. What's the real quesion?"

He was not hired. He ended up driving part time for FedEx for a few years. Apparently Barnes and Noble is not a fan of people that read books. They just want Oprah's book club people.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hate people hearing I'm colourblind and thinking that means I see in greyscale.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Killingyouguy! posted:

Precisely what I mean though, 'fun' is nice but isn't so sacred that a quarter of the year needs to be blocked off for it, a week or two would fit everyone's needs better

It wouldn't.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hate people hearing I'm colourblind and thinking that means I see in greyscale.

Hey! What colour is this book?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He’s blind, not deaf

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

Absolutely! Children must learn that their time is not their own and that they must spend every waking moment working at the behest of some wealthy tyrant and content themselves with what few scraps of leisure that tyrant sees fit to bestow (or not) upon them.

Or, you know, hang the jerk who invented work. One of those.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Lql you probably also agree with most American businesses that one or two weeks of vacation time is all a person needs in a year huh

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

People who refuse to join the appropriate platform/chat/forum for some BS reason other than the fact that they cannot listen to other people. I am the one planning the DnD adventure, inviting people to my home, making the adventure, running it, organizing the information etc. All you have to do is press on a link. You have to do the bare minimum to make my life easier.

Discord is not necessarily app based, you can use it with a browser. And even when you loving explain that people say "I don't want to make a discord account". How can I expect you to meet up once a week and spend 3 hours while being active and social when you cannot follow simple instructions.

Midig has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Aug 21, 2019

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Person I’m talking to has a friend who keeps saying “Jew” as in “he jewed me out of my change” after I asked him to stop and I swear I’m about to go mossad on this motherfucker. Also he told the ashtray joke while we were all drunk. Lol yes Holocaust so funny.

I hear you. Used to have a friend of a friend who kept doing the same thing except "Gypped" for stealing. As in "I gypped a lipstick today". Yes, she liked to shoplift for a thrill. As well as "Feeling like a Gypsy soul today" aka dressing in tie dye hippy style skirts and too many scarves. When told off she would respond with "Get off your high horse/It's only a joke/Stereotypes exist for a reason". Do NOT missing having this person in my life.

(Luckily I have no idea what the ashtray joke is, and not googling)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MightyJoe36 posted:

:same:

Thanksgiving & Halloween are my 2 favorites, neither get enough recognition IMHO

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

halloween is absolutely the best holiday. an entire day devoted to horror, intrigue, eating candy and being someone/thing else? c'mon

what other holiday can my friends serve me jello shots out of big-rear end syringes

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Danaru posted:

What is even the point of children if they arent turning out results or creating value

Have a few weeks off and additional holidays and breaks throughout the year. Japan is only like 30 more days of school than us and they seem to use every bit of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Living in Japan sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Food seems to make it worth it.