Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Selphie is bae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably, if the characters were fun in any way it might be tolerable but they just suck

that's why the pro-tip way to play the game is to drop Zell and Irvine whenever possible and use anyone else.

VIII was my favourite for years until I finally played IX. I think the soundtrack is one of the best, I like the junction system, and I think people are down on it more than it deserves.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

HellOnEarth posted:

Why was the moon evil?
Because in FF4, an evil sorcerer controlled people from the dark side of the moon. 8 is double four, so they doubled everything; now it's an evil sorceress who controls monsters who can come from the moon. It's like you never even learned math.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF5 = FF10/2

Checks out

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably, if the characters were fun in any way it might be tolerable but they just suck

Seifer is pretty fun idk

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Y'all are making me want to actually pick up 8 and play it, it's been over a decade since I touched it last.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Y'all are making me want to actually pick up 8 and play it, it's been over a decade since I touched it last.
Have some patience and get the Pretty People version of FF8 coming out in September, then you can post with all of us about how great the game actually is while people are replaying it. We'll all play it and everyone will be reminded that it's a super good game actually.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm strangely hype for it

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Retronauts has been doing an on-going series about every Final Fantasy (except 3 and the MMO's?). They talk regularly about how FF8 is good/interesting but deeply flawed, and it's made me want to play through it. I only ever gave it an hour or two before I dropped it. I'm excited to finally try it with this port.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
8 is secretly good. Wait for the remaster and play it.

Is the moon anything sorceress or Hyne related? I always miss the Hyne lore dump. I though it was just monster moon and the past civilization built the Lunatic Pandora to try and control it and accidentally Lunar rained themself in the face.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Maybe it's secretly good we all just forgot that it was because we have amnesia from godcessories.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gologle posted:

FF14 needs to have a Hyne raid.

Give me a Saruin raid, where you can give him the Fatestones to trigger 10-Fatestone Saruin. With the same bitchin' soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDA4zzleI0

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Saint Freak posted:

Maybe it's secretly good we all just forgot that it was because we have amnesia from godcessories.
If you're right that also means we can use Time Kompression to make it so that everybody is playing good game FF8 simultaneously always and forever.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Minus1Minus1 posted:

You all are making me really interested in playing VIII past the first 20 minutes or so. Holy smokes- what kind of game did I miss???

a game with a lot of really interesting world-building and background details, an absolutely terrible main plot, and gameplay where a 12 year old playing for the first time without guides can make themselves immortal within the first half an hour completely by accident

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

zedprime posted:

If you're right that also means we can use Time Kompression to make it so that everybody is playing good game FF8 simultaneously always and forever.

And as a bonus Yeul doesn't die anymore or something! Yay!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Nah, FFVIII is still bad. I'm with Mega64 in finding the story insufferably dumb and nonsensical, and the battle system is so broken that you're better off just turning off encounters right away rather than actually engaging with the "gameplay". But that just results in you mainlining the infuriatingly dumb story and terrible characters, so you lose any way you do it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

FF8 rules, it's genuinely my favorite FF game, but a large part of that is just the sheer scale at which it goes off the rails. It opens with "we're military academy brats going to take down the evil sorceress" which transitions into "the sorceress is all of our moms but we forgot lol" which transitions into "also the moon is full of monsters and your estranged dad lives in a high tech secret city, where you go to fly a rocket into space so you can get trapped in a moment that contains all of time, which your girlfriend did after you died long into the future because she got lonely and went back in time to make sure she'd get the power needed to do this"

Also, Rinoa is Ultimecia, idgaf, the game's batshit off the rails anyway but reading it this way means it's batshit with cyclicality as opposed to being batshit with the weirdest twist of "yeah idunno she's just some lady"

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The story isn't really any more dumb than any of the others before it (all of them are preeeetty stupid when looked at with a critical eye), and I like the battle system, including the Junction system. VIII has issues, I won't deny that. But whether or not it's a good game is very much a subjective opinion.

ETA: Also Triple Triad is the greatest mini game in the series.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Force Your Way is a good song.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i like the demo of ffviii more than i like ffviii

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Force Your Way is a good song.

I still rock some of the VIII soundtrack on my "road trip" mixes (The Man with the Machine Gun is aces).

And while the FMVs have aged a bit, this scene is still pretty amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJa5AOMoG0

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The story isn't really any more dumb than any of the others before it (all of them are preeeetty stupid when looked at with a critical eye), and I like the battle system, including the Junction system. VIII has issues, I won't deny that. But whether or not it's a good game is very much a subjective opinion.

ETA: Also Triple Triad is the greatest mini game in the series.

Actually Chocobo Hot and Cold.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Chocobo Hot and Cold was terrible.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People only like it for the music

Though I guess the fast forward in the recent ports probably helps a lot

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Hot and cold is fine but lol its in no way better than triple triad

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
The best is Auction House from FFTA2 purely for the immense benefit to no effort ratio.

Also Treasure Maps FFXIV

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Whalley posted:

FF8 rules, it's genuinely my favorite FF game, but a large part of that is just the sheer scale at which it goes off the rails. It opens with "we're military academy brats going to take down the evil sorceress" which transitions into "the sorceress is all of our moms but we forgot lol" which transitions into "also the moon is full of monsters and your estranged dad lives in a high tech secret city, where you go to fly a rocket into space so you can get trapped in a moment that contains all of time, which your girlfriend did after you died long into the future because she got lonely and went back in time to make sure she'd get the power needed to do this"

Also, Rinoa is Ultimecia, idgaf, the game's batshit off the rails anyway but reading it this way means it's batshit with cyclicality as opposed to being batshit with the weirdest twist of "yeah idunno she's just some lady"

Rinoa isn't Ultimecia, the game is weird enough without fan theories

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The story isn't really any more dumb than any of the others before it (all of them are preeeetty stupid when looked at with a critical eye)

if you describe them as ungenerously as possible all final fantasy stories will sound at least kind of bad, but 8 will still be the second most stupid-sounding(with 13 being the most)

and the better ones pave over some amount of that stupidness while you are actually playing them with good atmosphere, likable characters, etc. and the underlying stupidity of their plot structure only reveals itself to critical analysis(which does not negatively impact the enjoyment of most people). 8 not only does not do this but, if anything, has characters that seem like they were designed to accentuate it and make it as prominent as possible, and fails to ever achieve anything resembling a coherent atmosphere because it continuously undermines itself by setting a serious tone and then having people do incredibly dumb poo poo directly afterward. The only parts of 8 that have a coherent tone are the Laguna parts and that's because the tone is "Laguna' bumblefuck adventures" and him continuously doing stupid poo poo is consistent.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 21, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Squall reminds goons too much of themselves: Socially awkward dorks with no game.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
FF8 is insanely good because it’s so ridiculous. Embrace it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Leal posted:

Squall reminds goons too much of themselves: Socially awkward dorks with no game.
Don't forget he had not just one but two bad dads.

Romes128 posted:

FF8 is insanely good because it’s so ridiculous. Embrace it.
Everything falls into place if you can deal with the simple fact that FF8 is an 80s highschool romcom except it's a military highschool.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF8 needs a laugh track.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Fisherman's Horizon has a really nice theme too. Though I do wish that it and most of Square's other good songs had a bit more substance to them than just a 40 second loop of A-B-A-B-...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mega64 posted:

FF8 needs a laugh track.

I can't believe that Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is still the only game to have a laugh track after all these years.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't believe that Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is still the only game to have a laugh track after all these years.

Have you not played trollish Mario Maker levels before?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

FF8 has really interesting plot elements like the aforementioned moon stuff but it completely drops the ball on them and the Junction system is extremely half-baked

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alxprit posted:

Have you not played trollish Mario Maker levels before?

Ok, three games.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Leal posted:

excuse me i have lots of game, just look at my steam library

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I stopped playing FF8 right after the fight with Torg or whatever its name was. Even with random encounters turned off the game has tons of unnecessary padding that forces you to run around different places doing what amounts to fetch quests and mini games instead of letting you just move on with the plot and fight the next boss.

I like the combat and some of the fights are pretty cool but holy poo poo the slog between boss fights is agonizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

I know she doesn't live on the moon but the rest of it is p good