Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Poil posted:

A decently good run. At first I thought the troll was part of an organization named after an old lovely anti-virus soft. :v:

A troll named McAfee? That'd be something to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The inability to use party members to pass dialogue checks was probably my biggest complaint about the original Shadowrun Returns campaign. Can't remember if Dragonfall fixed that.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

malkav11 posted:

The inability to use party members to pass dialogue checks was probably my biggest complaint about the original Shadowrun Returns campaign. Can't remember if Dragonfall fixed that.

They did it for Decking, but not for dialogues unless I'm forgetting something.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I recall being able to tell Eiger to break down a door that you otherwise would have had to find a different way through.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

TheMcD posted:

I recall being able to tell Eiger to break down a door that you otherwise would have had to find a different way through.

Oh, good point. I don't recall ever being able to use one of the party members to pass a speech/etiquette check, tho.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh, good point. I don't recall ever being able to use one of the party members to pass a speech/etiquette check, tho.

What a missed opportunity (though more coding work, I'm sure). You know Eiger would have the Security etiquette, Blitz would have Gang.

Comedy option: Dietrich has Socialite.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Coming from the baseball crew, I hope to not keep asking questions that are obvious to people who have played this, but how does the decking / persona / etc. system work? I mean I can piece out the basics I think with the damage reference and all, but the mechanics and specifics I just don't know! Sorry but I am loving the LP and just trying to get the full gist of what's up.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Basically decking is just another combat arena during combat. Each turn in actual combat gets three in the matrix.

Your little decker dude's avatar(hp and accuracy decided by stats, abilities are equipment like spells) takes on a bunch of security software bad guys. If the avatar dies, your decker gets booted back to reality and takes some damage. They dont suffer anything unless the avatar dies. Black ICE are security programs that bypass this arrangement and just inflict damage straight to your character.

The general objective is to fight your way to little node objects and use them, giving you loot, opening doors, turning guns/cameras to your side, etc. The whole thing is on a bit of a timer because when that bar in the lower left fills all the way a bunch of black ice drop in on your decker.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013
Also, if you were already in a fight when you started hacking, your physical body is sitting there helpless since your mind is in a computer, so your teammates need to cover you. Your computer avatar heals to full for free every time you leave the computer, but the security on the system stays where it was and any physical damage you take only heals for free between missions when you go sleep it off, so Black IC is significantly more threatening than regular White IC.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Alex0080 posted:

Also, if you were already in a fight when you started hacking, your physical body is sitting there helpless since your mind is in a computer, so your teammates need to cover you. Your computer avatar heals to full for free every time you leave the computer, but the security on the system stays where it was and any physical damage you take only heals for free between missions when you go sleep it off, so Black IC is significantly more threatening than regular White IC.

Maybe take it a step back. White IC is a standard Intrusion Countermeasure in any system with any kind of security. They're basically bot programs just designed to gently caress with your software. Black IC on the other hand is very high end intrusion countermeasures designed to attack in such a way that the feedback causes damage to the hardware a hacker is using to access their system. The problem there is that any combat Decker will be running their system in hot-sim, which means they're plugged directly into the system without any intervening systems between them and the computer. This is needed because it reduces latency so they can react faster than the computer can, but also means that the hardware the black IC is damaging is the decker's brain.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Black IC specifically goes straight for biofeedback specifically, not general hardware. In the RPG there's also "grey" IC, which actually tries to counterhack and destructively sabotage the intruder's electronic hardware.

The color-coding stems from the legality of the variants in most national jurisdictions. Black IC generally means you're loving with a system involved in some very illegal poo poo or part of a high-security sovereign corporate or government network.

Magni fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 19, 2019

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Update VI - Getting Into Showbiz

Alright, so last time, we had a run that was a complete and total success and anybody that says otherwise will eat some magic.

You've had a long day. Why don't you get some sleep? I'll check with my superiors and see how they want to proceed. Here's a partial payment. I know the Aztechnology job wasn't f‌inished, but I appreciate your efforts. We'd be in much worse shape without you.

And with that, we get 1000 nuyen and 7 Karma.

With the Karma, we upgrade our Chi Casting and Close Combat, since both of those will allow us access to better items. And now, it's time to talk to everybody!

I heard that you paid a little visit to Aztechnology. How is it looking?
That place looks far worse now that I've happened to it.
I'd thought as much. Had I mentioned that I used to work in that building? Probably not. It's not a fact I advertise often. I saw the writing on the wall long ago, even before Saito-san landed in the city. When Aztlan f‌irst declared war on CalFree, I knew any association with Aztechnology would be poison, and started making plans to disassociate myself from that corporation. I do feel some regret for former colleagues who have lost their lives, but frankly, the fewer connections I have to that place, the safer I will be. But enough of that. What can I do for you?

Well, let's do some scouting.

What do you know about Colma?
Ah, yes, Colma. I've never visited, but I understand there's powerful magic there. Millions of dead souls gathered in one place can cause some strange phenomena. It's off the radar of technocratic elites like the megacorps and Saito, but don't get complacent down there. That place is f‌illed with history, and history has a way of manifesting in unexpected ways.

Mysterious. Anyway, since we already have the next level Chi Casting spell, we don't need anything from this guy right now.

(Research paydata.) What will you pay for this f‌ile?
Oooh, that's a sparkly one. Lots of little nuggets in there. Unfortunately, Aztechnology is quickly exiting the scene here, so there won't be a lot of interest in the f‌ile. Still, I can offer you ¥750 for it.

We could use a Corporate Etiquette to get more out of this, but alas, we just have to take the 750 nuyen.

How's business?
Groovy, woman! There's a serious f‌ire sale on used electronic equipment now that Aztechnology is biting the dust. I'm sure they'll try to bring in some ringers to shore up their so-called 'Pyramid Operations' or whatever, but until then, there's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to grab some megacorp-quality tech for a bargain price.

Nothing much else to get from The Dave right now.

Kali's here too!

How is business?
Getting better every day, but it's a constant struggle. As our resources grow bigger, so do the demands of Saito. Fortunately, now that most of the local megacorps have gotten a taste of Eclipse, they won't tolerate Saito getting rid of us. I'm looking forward to the day when I'll be free of his grasp and can run Antumbra Enterprises without looking over my shoulder.
Why did you name your business Antumbra Enterprises?
That nightclub wasn't the start of my career, but it marked the start of my climb up the corporate ladder. Up until that Site of Power emerged, Mitsuhama thought I was just another minx in their portfolio, useful for drawing in eyeballs. After you helped me clear the Site and turn it over to them, they started involving me in the decision-making process. Without Antumbra, I'd just be another singer. With it, I'm becoming a force to be reckoned with.

Cool.

Amelia has some shiny new gear, and we're relatively flush with cash after the last run used up less medkits than expected, we grab some better armor and a better weapon, which I'm sure will immediately pay dividends. And after we check her gear out, we can ask something else:

You seem better-stocked than before.
You are absolutely correct! My, ah, network of acquisitions experts have been busily combing over the former off‌ices of Aztechnology, and f‌inding some terrif‌ic equipment. The marines are mostly concerned about hunting down any Aztlan agents, and the megacorps are focusing on taking over Aztechnology's contracts, so nobody cares very much if a few guns and fetishes go missing. I've spread the wealth around and helped restock the other Eclipse merchants with some new gear. For a modest fee, of course. Well, not too modest. Nobody's complaining, though. This stuff is still a steal compared to the wholesale prices we were paying last week!

Hey, we actually have a bit of an explanation why there's better gear over time. Now, let's head upstairs and see if new people showed up.

Do you want anything?

Who are you?
I was born Idril Nellas, but I go by DJ Omphalos these days. I specialize in thrumming music, and have played most styles and clubs at some point in my career. I've also helped several people record demo tracks and launch their own careers.

What do you think of Kali?
Oh, she's fantastic. I'm so glad that she came to San Francisco, her talents were wasted in Seattle. She's not just a terrif‌ic performer, but she's one of the few artists who can relate really well to people outside of our culture. That's proven to be extremely useful here in the city. Ever since martial law was imposed, most clubs have been dying a slow death, but Kali has quickly found the right palms to grease, the right favors to collect, and the right compliments to pay Saito. It's making her very rich, but it's also giving us the f‌irst decent venue we've enjoyed here in years.

OK, what was that you said about helping people launch their careers? Because I think we still have a favor to call in...

Can I record a track?
Sure thing! Kali was mentioning that she owed you a favor from Seattle. Here's a blank recording deck. Find Kali below and see if she can free up some studio space for you. Good luck!

Alright, let's do it.

Can I record a demo with you?
Hm, I suppose I do still owe you a favor from before. Before we can start recording, I'll need to know where we're going with this. What kind of music do you want to perform?

Our choices are Chromatic Metal, Coruscat, Glitch Punk, Thrumming or Toxic House. I decide that the only true genre for Kami is the one that sounds like something you could make a baseball bat out of, so we pick Chromatic Metal.

Cool. Let's step into the studio.

And we just get a fade out and fade back in to exactly where we were.

Not too bad for a newbie. Here's the deck back with your track on it. I can take it now if you're ready to release it, or you can take some more time to polish it. You might want to check in with some other people here if you'd like help f‌inishing it up.

Alright, let's see who can help us.

Can you help me with my demo?
You're hopping on the Kali gravy train? I cut a demo of my own right after I opened this shop. I had high hopes, but it didn't go anywhere. Kali tells me that there isn't a market any more for f‌ilk music about open-source software. Such a shame, I was hoping to open peoples' minds. Kali did say that she really liked the beats I synthesized, though. Do you want them? They're just gathering dust on my deck at the moment.

Yeah, why not?

Sure, I'll take them.
Let's do this!

[The Dave cables your two decks together, then rapidly runs through a series of mixing programs. He adjusts the tempo of his beats to match your existing track, adds a few breaks at appropriate moments, and makes other adjustments too quickly for you to follow. After less than a minute, he disconnects the deck and hands it back to you.]

There you go! May my beats serve you better than they did me!

Cool. Let's see who else is willing to help out.

What do you think of my demo so far?

[DJ Omphalos plugs your deck into a nearby sound system and cranks it up, ignoring the annoyed glances from nearby partiers.]

Not bad! Have you done this before? There's nothing wrong with this, and I think you could release it and do rather well. If you'd like, though. I'd be happy to remix it for you. It might sound a bit fresher that way, and, frankly, a lot of my fans will buy anything that I remix. What do you say?

Sounds like making a name for yourself in the LP subforum by collabing with more known LPers. I can dig it.

Sure, go for it.

[DJ Omphalos opens up a mixing program and sets to work. She collects samples, loops them, distorts them, pulls apart your track elements and rearranges them. When she f‌inishes, no new elements have been added, but it sounds like an entirely different song.]

That was fun! I hope it turns out well. No need to worry about royalties, but if this one does well I'd like you to collaborate on one of my next tracks, okay?

Now, anybody else?

What do you know about Colma?
What a creepy place! My friends and I used to go there at night, hoping to see some ghosts. We spotted a couple, but nobody we recognized. I guess it's pretty famous. A hundred and f‌ifty years ago, San Francisco dug up all of their graves and moved the bodies down to Colma, so they could make room for more houses or whatever. Lots of famous people are buried there. William Randolph Hearst, Joe DiMaggio, Wyatt Earp, Levi Strauss, lots of folks. Why, are you going there? Maybe you can meet some of them!

How about another run?
Wow, I guess I did good, huh? You got me back in one piece, so I'm pretty happy about that! I gotta warn you: If you're heading out of the city, my wiz decking skills might not be all that helpful to you. There aren't a whole lot of computers in the country, y'know? Still, I'm not totally useless at other stuff. I'll tag along for ¥750, how does that sound?

We'll think about it. But here's the question we're really here to ask:

Can you help me with my demo?
Wiz, you're a recording star? That's hella cool! I've been dreaming for ages of having a go at Kali's boards. Let's give it a listen!

[Hailey jacks into your deck and listens for a while, nodding enthusiastically and tapping out the rhythms on her knee.]

I won't lie to you: This could be a ginormous hit. Right now, though, it's a little... generic, y'know? Kali will release this in the CalFree market f‌irst, so you might want to connect the lyrics more to local culture. Otherwise folks might think you're just some carpetbagger from Seattle, right? You want some help?

More help, more fun!

That would be great.

[Hailey jots down a few lyrical edits, incorporating local slang and some contemporary references. The meter is unaltered, so you'll be able to easily dub your new vocals back in.]

There ya go! Hey, when you make it big, give me a call, okay? I want to help produce your next track!

Now, before we head back to send in our deck, let's check around to see who else we have available for our next run.

How are your studies progressing?
Quite well. I feel that my central thesis has achieved suff‌icient clarity, and anticipate that all my supporting arguments will fall into place shortly. From then on, it should be a relatively straightfontvard process of revision, as I try to anticipate objections to my platform and work to preemptively resolve them. That isn't to say that it will be easy. I fully anticipate great resistance, due to the knee-jerk reactions people tend to have when confronted with terms like "xenocide". Nonetheless, I remain optimistic that this thesis will provide a stable basis of work upon which future scholars can build their own theories.

Have you heard of Colma?
Yes, I have heard of this place. I have not visited it myself. From what I understand, it used to be sparingly populated. In recent years, as my fellow metahum ans have increasingly been forced from the city, it has become a haven of sorts. Few humans would willingly live among the tombstones, so it has grown into a most unlikely refuge for the outcast, the violent, the dangerous, the insane.

May I hire your services?
I gladly make my resources available to anyone in need who is willing to pay. More specif‌ically, I requite a sum of ¥750.

We'll get back to you on that.

Man, you're really pushing it.

[Dalmin looks at you expectantly.]

Anything new happening here?
Yes and no. Many new faces, but they're always playing out the same old story. Boy meets girl. Boy buys expensive drinks for girl. Girl leaves with boy. Why mess with the classics? If I ever open up my own bar, I'll try to shake things up a little. Maybe have the drinks buy a boy for the girl?

Heard any news from Seattle?
Hm. There's a rumor going around that Dunkelzahn will apply for UCAS citizenship. I don't believe it, though. There are much better countries in the world. Oh, and the old Antumbra site is still bubbling with activity. Lots of mages are applying to visit and f‌igure out how that phenomenon could have appeared. It appears localized for now, though, so the rest of the city shouldn't be affected.

Dunkelzahn applying for UCAS citizenship? I'm sure nothing will come from that.

Care to go on a run?
You know what? I would. It's good to stretch my legs occasionally. And, if you don't mind me saying so, you certainly seem like you could use the extra protection. You can have my services for the low, low price of ¥1000.

A thousand loving nuyen? I, uh, will get back to you on that. Now, let's drop off our deck.

I'm done working on my track.
All right, I'll take over from here. We'll release to local markets f‌irst, and if it does well, Antumbra Global will start promoting it across UCAS, NAN, Aztlan, and other regions. Good luck to us both. I hope this earns a lot of nuyen!

Alright! Look forward to the first release by the new Chromatic Metal supergroup, "Kami and the xwOBAcons", wherever fine music is bought.

Before we end the update, one thing we still need to do is get some sleep.

And now we're ready to start the next run! We're going to be checking out Colma, on the trail of the troll that broke into the Azzie pyramid and took what we wanted to take, and that's just unforgivable.

But before that, Kami needs to ask the voices in her head. Who are we taking along on this run? We can afford all of them, so money is not an object. Do we take along Hailey, who we've already had success with, but who probably won't be too useful in this run? Do we take Orion, who is probably the coolest of the bunch, but duplicates our skillset by being a street samurai and leading to us just being two guys that do damage? Or do we take along Dalmin, who is kind of a prick and the most expensive, but who would probably be the most useful? The choice is yours.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't help but wonder what amateurish goon chromatic metal sounds like, especially after several chefs have had their way with it. :magical:

Orion, you can't go wrong with beating up people.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Hailey is definitely less annoying than the other two options.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dalmin, since he's a recurring character and we haven't seen him do anything yet.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
When dealing with zombies and ghouls, it's important to bring shotguns and swords. Orion

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Orion seems like a cool dude

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Hire Orion for this run. We're expecting a lot of heat, both mystical and mundane.

Hailey did next to nothing for us on the streets in the last run, and that's where this job is going to take place I assume. Better bring someone who can cover us while we get up close.

Since we won't have a healer, make sure to bring a couple Improved Medkits (unless we're still flush with medkits).

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Actually, what would have happened if we didn't bring Hailey along on the last run once we hit the scene in the Mission District with the marine and Voire? Would we have recognized him without Hailey there?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

TheMcD posted:

You're hopping on the Kali gravy train? I cut a demo of my own right after I opened this shop. I had high hopes, but it didn't go anywhere. Kali tells me that there isn't a market any more for f‌ilk music about open-source software. Such a shame, I was hoping to open peoples' minds. Kali did say that she really liked the beats I synthesized, though. Do you want them? They're just gathering dust on my deck at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9887joVqT7c
They make big bucks from systems so they never want it known
That you can build a mainframe from the things you find at home!

Lux Animus posted:

Actually, what would have happened if we didn't bring Hailey along on the last run once we hit the scene in the Mission District with the marine and Voire? Would we have recognized him without Hailey there?

Nah, I usually roll a Decker/Rigger and bring someone else and I never saw that segment.
Bring Orion - you can never go wrong with more muscle.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 22, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This is the only time in any Shadowrun game or mod where the decker NPC is kind enough to warn you that there won't be any computers in the upcoming missions.

But there will be ghosts, so let's bring along the Shaman so he can figure things out with his mystical vision thing.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 23, 2019

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Bring Orion

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Xander77 posted:

This is the only time in any Shadowrun game or mod where the decker NPC is kinda enough to warn you that there won't be any computers in the upcoming missions.

But there will be ghosts, so let's bring along the Shaman so he can figure things out with his mystical vision thing.

Yeah it's a really great idea. If every game let you know this it would be super helpful. Say you perhaps request the decker scout the area over the net and let you know if theres a lot of things to hack or only a few. It would let you plan out your team much better.

Also while I want to take Orion, the mention of powerful magic saturating the area makes me think Dalmin would be better.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Bringing Dalmin:
Pros: Lots of magic, probably ghosts and poo poo or something
Cons: Dalmin is a cock

:thunk:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Cons: Dalmin is a cock

This is reason enough to bring Orion :colbert:

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Dalmin. An opportunity to bring Dalmin is an opportunity to see Dalmin be on the receiving end of whatever we encounter in the field.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Let's take Dalmin and see if he can back up his big talk.

Normally adepts and shamans have some nice synergy. If he does not have 'haste', let him be fodder for the ghosts.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I would probably take Hailey on every mission because I think her character is funny and likeable but she seemed to hint pretty hard that her decking skills wouldn't be of much use at the mission location. She still does have her drones and so even if not the best choice it seems like no companion would be completely useless in any situation.

Is this the kind of game where the friendly npc's generally give good advice or can it sometimes be one where they intentionally mislead you because "don't take the decker" is the part where if you take the decker, you hack the only terminal in the zone and get the best armor in the game or something?

Anyhow without that knowledge, I would say take Orion even if Dalmin might be a better choice just because Dalmin seems like a tool. I won't really be mad if we do take him though, since it does sort of make sense, so I guess I will just ride with whatever the rest of the thread thinks.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, let's see what we got.

code:
Hailey: I
Orion:  IIIIIII
Dalmin: IIIII
Orion it is, then! Let's beat the poo poo out of some zombie goasts.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Update VII - Maybe A Monster Mash, Definitely A Graveyard Smash

Alright, we're awake again, refreshed from a good round of sleep. Let's roll.

When you think about it, that makes it the perfect place for people to gather if they don't want to be noticed. No corp security, no Imperial marines... it's about as quiet a place as you can get. You're the only one who's actually seen this troll, so I need you to head down to Colma and check it out. You'll probably want to bring another runner with you, so pick someone dependable.

Well, the audience decided, and it decided that Orion would be the one we're taking along this time.

May I hire your services?
I gladly make my resources available to anyone in need who is willing to pay. More specif‌ically, I requite a sum of ¥750.
(¥750) Here you are.
Excellent. I shall accompany you to Colma.

Cool. Let's head out.

So here we are at Colma.

Here's a look at our new friend. He's a good shot and decent with melee weapons. Should be handy for when we need to shoot poo poo, which we probably will. He's got an assault rifle to do the shooting with.

As we head into the graveyard, we can interact with four different graves to read them. They have the following to say:

"A TREE IN THE DESERT NAME HIM OR BE HURT"
"WITH A BLOW OF HIS HORN THE WALLS WERE TORN"
"FROM THE MOUNTAIN CHEYENNE HE FIRED MISSILES AGAIN"
"THE PRESIDENT'S ADVISOR FROM FICTION IN DAYS OF YORE"

And in front of a locked gate, we find this person. So clearly, we need to solve a puzzle here, related to the gravestones we just found. So, I can figure out two of these. The second one is referring to the biblical story of Jericho and the Isrealite leader that was around at that time. And the third one is referring to the movie WarGames, the computer's password, to be precise. Both of those are "Joshua". And one I just looked up - the first is referring to the Joshua trees in the Mojave Desert. I don't get the last one, though.

Now, if we get this wrong...

ALL NAMES ARE FOUND WITHIN, BUT ONE ABOVE ALL. HONOR THE NAME BEFORE YOU FALL.

And then a zombie shows up. Not much of a problem, but it seems like the way this is set up, it gets a free shot at you every time you get a wrong answer, so this could cause some issues for squishier characters.

Of course, Kami is not a squishy character, and instead cuts the zombie into bits, with a shot from Orion taking it down completely. Now, if we give the right answer - Joshua:

EVEN SO. GO FORTH AND HEED HIS CALL.

And the gate opens, letting us move on.

Now, the moment the gate opens, enemies start moving around. However, that's all they do - they just walk around, being all menacing. They don't attack. They're marked as "Norton's Soldier" and run around screaming stuff like "SIGNS IN THE SKY!" and "NORTON IS DEAD! LONG LIVE NORTON!".

Well, I decide to not gently caress around and potentially end up with these guys ambushing me, so I mow them the gently caress down.

After dealing with those guys, we get to see Norton I's gravesite.

And further in the graveyard, we seem to have some sort of congregation.

You stand in the presence of Emperor Joshua Norton IX, Emperor of this California State and the Protector of UCAS. You may bow.

Well then. We are actually talking to an Emperor Norton. Also, "IX"? Dang, that's a long line.

You come here from San Francisco, do you not? We have longed to return to her most beauteous streets, her seven hills of luscious green, our fair subjects who cry out in their hour of need. Our head hangs heavy, burdened with the responsibilities of state. But, enough of that. Please tell us, why have you come to our court?
I believe they are looking for me, your Imperial Majesty. I encountered them while carrying out your work in the Pyramid yesterday.
My... work? We do not remember asking you to visit the pyramid, loyal Shavarus, merely to assure our subjects of our imminent return.
Indeed, your majesty. And what better way to assure them of your imminent return than to strike a blow against one of the powerful corporations that hold them in oppression?

[Norton's commanding gaze grows unfocused. For a brief moment he seems troubled and confused.]

But... surely it is Saito who holds them in oppression, is it not?

[His eyes snap back to you.]

But enough of these affairs of court. You say that you wish to question our subject. Very well. What would you know?

How long have you been Emperor?
We have held that honor for over a decade. At the peremtory request of a large majority of citizens, we did declare and proclaim ourself Emperor of the California Free State. Since that time, we have labored ceaselessly to ameliorate the evils under which the country is laboring.

[Shavarus coughs politely.]

Of course, some ignorant persons will claim that Norton here has never sat on a throne, and never wielded any actual influence over this nation or its governance.
Yes, quite right you are, Shavarus. Ignorance abounds, sadly.
Some enemies of the state even go so far as to name you mad.
Indeed! We have ordered them executed, of course. We cannot tolerate such threats against our Imperial self.
Regardless, Emperor Norton is beloved by many, and he has proven a surprisingly valuable ally in the struggle against Saito.
...We believe you meant to say "valuable commander", good Shavarus.
Indeed, it is as you say, your majesty.

Hrm. That's not implying any sort of betrayal is imminent at all, no siree.

What are you doing in Colma?
Why? Does this strike you as an odd place to strike one's court? You must not forget that we hold dominion over all the great expanse of California, from the forests of Redding to the outskirts of Los Angeles, from the Pacif‌ic Ocean to the Sierra Nevada. Any place the emperor sits immediately becomes the center of government. Merely because we are surrounded by thousands of gravestones, does not make this place any less worthy of our presence!
Which is not to say that His Imperial Majesty would not prefer to return to San Francisco.
No, you are correct as always, good Shavarus. When last we visited the city, we found the condition of its inhabitants most intolerable indeed. We have dispatched numerous imperial proclamations to leaders of city government and military, ordering them to show proper benevolence towards all citizens.
I assume they didn't obey.
Sadly, we received no reply to our orders. Therefore, we ordered Colonel Saito and all other persons in authority into exile! They... have not left yet, but surely will.
As you say.

Seems like His Imperial Majesty has not exactly been blessed with success.

Are you going to attack Saito?
You see, your majesty? It is as I have been telling you. Your loyal subjects cry out for you to take action and overthrow the usurper.

[Norton stares unhappily at his boots.]

It would be uncouth for the Emperor to invade his own city. Our role is to elevate the lives of our citizens, not to cut down the wayward.

I'm pretty sure the marines aren't just going to leave through harsh language. But let's get down to brass tacks and talk about what we're looking for - even if everything surrounding this seems a lot more interesting than some paydata from the Azzies.

I need that information Shavarus took.
Yes... what exactly were you doing, Shavarus? Why did you disobey our decree and enter the pyramid?
Your majesty, surely you must understand by now that your enemies will not leave simply by wishing so. We must strike against them. We must strike so brutally and effectively that they fear to spend another day in your city. While many dispossessed metahumans have flocked to your presence, they will never stand a chance against the might of the Marines coupled with the bottomless resources of the megacorps. We must hit them where they are weakest, cutting off their will to remain.
But how will you ensure that only our enemies are affected?
I wish I could assure your majesty that there would be no civilian casualties, but I cannot. They must pay the necessary price for freedom, whether they wish it or not. Consider, however, that these same victims would otherwise live the rest of their years in despair. Is it not better that their lives mean something. even in death? Is it not better that their sacrif‌ice, unwilling though it might be, improve the world for their children and all metahumankind?
No! We will not allow it! This goes entirely too far, Shavarus. What shall I do, human?

Well, we have a metahuman scholar with us, let's ask him what his opinion is.

Do you have any advice, Orion?
I feel as though Shavarus and I have studied at the feet of the same guru. He has the right of it: as hard as it may be to stomach, total war is the only answer. They will probably lose in their assault, but that hardly matters. They will become martyrs, and hasten the day when all metahumanity will rise up and overthrow the old order of humankind.

Whatever the alternative might be, Norton's idea of overthrowing the occupation won't work. There's going to need to be some sort of war.

Listen to Shavarus. Scorched earth is the only way to win this war.

[Norton lowers his head. For a moment it looks as though he might weep.]

We do not care for these times we were born into. Why could we not be like our glorious predecessor, who faced only an indifferent Congress and recalcitrant merchants? We were not made for conflict with a foreign emperor and megacorporations. Very well. It grieves us, but we shall do as you say, Shavarus. We shall take the battle to the enemy, using any weapon at our disposal.

I hereby declare every person within this zone a traitor and an enemy of state, and order you all to summary execution!
You fool! You were followed! Follow me, my loyal servants! Norton, stay here and defend your court!
It shall be as you say. Come, friends! To battle!

Well, looks like it's time to fight.

Shavarus is a neutral party and just does his own thing, but we're allowed to control Norton.

Norton, as it turns out, is a Shaman.

He also has some hellhounds with him, though we can't control them.

So, Norton, being a Shaman, has a lot of useful support spells. Aim, Haste and Armor are great buffs, the healing is useful, and Air Barrier is also good for blocking chokepoints like I just did here, with it forcing the enemies to walk through it to advance, meaning they're going to use 2 AP just moving and can't attack, which will get them in range to get torn apart by Kami and Orion. I can't think of a good use case for Slow, to be honest. I feel like I'd much rather be casting any of the other spells.

Anyway, we go through one...

...two...

...three...

...four groups of marines, none of which offer any serious resistance.

Now, you must f‌ind Shavarus. Before you arrived, he mentioned that he would be traveling to the Embarcadero. I know not what he intends, but you must f‌ind him quickly!

Looks like Shavarus is up to some poo poo and has bailed on us.

So we grab a car and head after him.

Here we are, back on the docks, but this time, with an actual objective. Let's see who's around.

Oh, hey there.

Turm?! What are you doing here?
Kami! Ha, there's a face I didn't expect to see! I could ask you the same thing. With the cred we made on the Antumbra run, I've been slagging jobs all over. Seattle got slow, but them Tir elves have a habit of paying high and in advance, so I run security for them now. Our boat just pulled in a few minutes ago. Nothing personal, but I've been paid good nuyen to keep people far away from these boats. If that means I have to shoot you, I will.

We could convince her to come over to our side with the Shadowrunner Etiquette, but we still have a different weapon in our arsenal to get the same result.

(¥400) We had a good run before, didn't we? How about I hire you again for old time's sake?
Yeah... we did have a good time, didn't we? Frag it! This city is drek anyways. Who cares if I break a contract to a bunch of Tir keebs? Let's dust them!

And there we go, Turm's back in our crew. She's gotten upgraded since we last saw her. So now we have a very balanced crew - one who beats the poo poo out of people, and two who shoot the poo poo out of people. Do you need anything else?

Next, we make our way through some shipping containers, fighting marines...

...and after dealing with the marines, we get some Tir guards and mages. They sure don't want whatever they're protecting to get interrupted. Too bad we're here to do exactly that.

Kami does need to burn one of her three medkits on the next group of Tir, but nothing too major. Now, we have a problem. To advance, we need to get through a locked gate. We have several options here.

We can talk to this... strangely familiar Lonestar officer and bluff our way through if we had the Security Etiquette.

There's a rowboat nearby we could use if we could find some lumber somewhere around here. But we don't need that, because we have a different option.

We can just guess the code to get in.

(Etiquette: Academic) [Guess the override code.]

[A recent paper you've read on the psychology of random code selection proves to have hit the mark. You deduce the proper combination for the manual override before its heightened security system kicks in.]

Who says you need a decker to hack passwords? Sabermetrics, baby! You don't need a hacker to just guess when somebody's password is "eckstein123".

And on this pier, we find what we're looking for.

So, what's the job?
I fear that you are laboring under a misapprehension, namely that you will participate in the job. You are nothing but a nuisance, a worthless human who had no role to play in our great project. You still don't see, do you? You're still stuck in your narrow mindset, seeing only one run at a time, one job, one villain. Not like our friends here from Tir Tairngire. They see what Saito is doing, and feel fear. They also feel hope. The elven nation wishes to extend its benevolent reach to encompass all elvenkind. Even so, we will see Orkland become a haven for all orks, Halferville a home for dwarves. There will be no home for humans, or for those who collaborate with them. That includes you, Kami. I know all about your corporate paymasters. You will perish, along with Saito, the megacorps, their wageslaves, and every metahuman who remains in this city.

OK, that doesn't sound great. I mean, I'm pretty sure wanting to kill Kami is, like, a capital offense punishable by death, so that kind of spells out Shavarus's fate here, but let's just hear what he's planning.

What is your plan?
Saito's paranoia is entirely focused on preventing threats from entering this city. He's too short-sighted to realize that the true danger is the cessation of the city's lifeblood. Did you know that this city used to be mostly desert? Mankind spent a century building artif‌icial rivers, sucking dry nature's teat in a bid to prolong their unnatural existence on this peninsula. Every drop of water drunk in this city has traveled hundreds of miles, pulled from the great mountains to the east. And, starting tomorrow, that water will cease to flow. That data I pulled from Aztechnology reveals every detail of the Hetch Hetchy water system: its pipelines, its defenses, its schedules. We will slice the artery and see the city bleed. San Francisco will no longer support life.

Yeah, I mean, I figured my idea of organizing an armed revolt centered around a guerilla warfare militia and organizing the populace to impede the occupation forces at every opportunity was going to get a lot of people killed, but this is nuts.

But the corps will just leave! Only the poor metahumans will die!
Do not underestimate the impact of fear. The next would-be tyrant will think long before persecuting metahumans.

OK, yeah, we can't have this happening. This is less scorched earth, more cutting off your nose to spite your face.

So, we have another fight on our hands.

Turns out that that Tir mage next to Shavarus is protecting him, so you can't deal any damage to him as long as the mage is alive. "Always geek the mage first" turns out to be a good rule of thumb once more.

However, once we do that...

Defend my exit, elves! We will rendezvous in the Mission when this is done!

And he bails. You can knock him down to 1 HP, but that's it, he becomes invincible afterwards. That's some bad GMing - I've got your villain dead to rights, don't just bullshit something up so he can escape. Oh well.

In the ensuing battle, Kami gets into a bit of trouble again with HP, but nothing we can't handle. It's just carving up and putting holes in elves.

Eventually, Shavarus makes his escape...

...and after beating down the last few elves, so do we.

And that'll be it for this run, and this update. Next time, we regroup and rethink our strategy, try to figure out how we can take down this guy before he turns San Francisco into a desert.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Josh is a character on The West Wing

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ooh, i guess a trip to yosemite is too much to ask for but it's cool that they worked hetch hetchy in

there's probably enough storage on the peninsula to weather an outage just from earthquake planning but i might be overthinking it

that brings me to a question - are there any big earthquakes in shadowrun lore? can i be a san andreas fault shaman?

edit: i was thinking of writing a deep dive on SF's water system because i'm weird like that but instead i'll just share links
-a map
-info on the volumes of reservoirs on the san francisco peninsula
-an interesting paper about the consequences of restoring hetch hetchy to its natural status as a valley

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 29, 2019

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Oh, I like the idea of dropping 4 different semi-obscure hints for a puzzle that all lead to the same answer. That is pretty neat design.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

oystertoadfish posted:

that brings me to a question - are there any big earthquakes in shadowrun lore? can i be a san andreas fault shaman?

You probably can't do it alone, but there was the Great Ghost Dance, where a bunch of Native American Nations shamans got together and made Mts. Hood, Rainier, St. Helens, and Adams erupt simultaneously to tell the USA and Canada to gently caress off. It succeeded!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

TheMcD posted:

You probably can't do it alone, but there was the Great Ghost Dance, where a bunch of Native American Nations shamans got together and made Mts. Hood, Rainier, St. Helens, and Adams erupt simultaneously to tell the USA and Canada to gently caress off. It succeeded!

They could have just summoned some really big spirits and told them to wipe out a bunch of cities so they were actually being restrained.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

oystertoadfish posted:

There was a quake in 2005 that leveled Manhattan, and when the federal government didn’t have the money to rebuild it, the corps came in and bought the island. So now Manhattan is owned by the Manhattan Development Corporation, which has a bunch of corps including Sony and NYPD, Inc among the megas owning it’s shares, and they have their HQ in a tower built where Gracie Mansion, the formal home of the Mayor of NYC, used to be.

They basically built a new Manhattan over the ruins of the old, with Central Park being several meters below the current street level. The terrestrial offices of the Corporate Court are in a skyraker located at the site of the World Trade Center (9/11 never happened in Shadowrun history), and is one of the most protected locations in an already surveillance heavy island. The Stock Exchange moved to Boston for a couple of decades (it moved back following Crash 2.0 in the late 2060s), Harlem was bulldozed and remade into “Newtown” save for the Apollo Theater and the land owned by Columbia University. loving Azzies made a “rare” PR oopsie by buying the Manhattan Bridge and renaming it, even though most people in the area still use its original name.

Oh, and Lung waking up on Mount Tai in China set off a series of earthquakes that buried major portions of the Chinese nuclear stockpile, leading to the eventual Balkanization and breakup of the country into the mini states that they currently are.

Later on in the Shadowrun timeline, in the mid 2060s, you have The Twins, a pair of massive earthquakes that wreck LA and leads CalFree to wash it’s hands of it (again, it was too expensive to rebuild), leading to the city’s whose remaining corporate interests primarily in the entertainment industry to consolidate into Horizon, the newest member of the Big Ten in Fifth Edition, and manage to invite the Pueblo Corporate Council to take over control of the city before the Azzies’ QRF in San Diego can do so instead. LA is flooded, the wall that CalFree built to cordon off the poor people in their equivalent of the Barrens districts known as El Infierno was destroyed, and magic lacunae have opened up in portions of the flooded area.

Also, in the late 2060s, possibly as a result of Halley’s Comet leaving, the Ring of Fire basically exploded, wrecking large portions of Japan and killing the current Emperor as he was in Nagasaki. The Twins might have been part of the same system. I think Yokohama came off pretty badly as well, and led to it’s consolidation under the new Emperor into Neo-Tokyo. Said new Emperor ordered most of the Imperial Japanese Marines home in order to help with the rebuilding, but General Saito and his forces were one of the major groups that refused to follow the order, staying where they were, continuing to warlord it up over the Bay Area as shown in this thread.

The Philippines were also pretty badly hit due to the Ring of Fire event, and along with the Japanese Marines there pulling out (and the new Emperor rescinding the Yomi Island decree, which exiled all Japanese metavariants to said island in the Philippines, and allowing them to actually leave, possibly because said Emperor had half sibling bodyguards who are oni, a Japanese troll metavariant), led to them being able to formally declare independence from Japan once again.

Also the Great Ghost Dance, but that was more volcanoes than earthquakes.

TheMcD posted:

Don’t forget setting off Redondo Peak as well to bury Los Alamos National Laboratory. That specific act inspired the creation of Alamos 20k (20k was the estimated population of the area who were killed by the explosion), one of the bigger Human supremacist terrorist groups of the Sixth World. Responsible for blowing up the Sears Tower, turning the Chicago Loop into the Barrens district known as the Shattergraves after all killed by the raining glass, amongst other atrocities.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 29, 2019

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The world of Shadowrun is really quite hosed, isn't it?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Quackles posted:

The world of Shadowrun is really quite hosed, isn't it?

Eeeyup.
Even if a bunch of stuff is excuses to thin down population numbers a bit. :v:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

That's not even mentioning that Chicago is literally filled with ghost bugs, and then Chicago also got nuked after getting blown up several times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Update VIII - The Mission Mission

Alright, we're back in Eclipse, and we're in a hurry.

Here's all the discretionary cash I have left. Hire a runner, equip yourself, and get out of here!

And with that, we get 1500 nuyen.

Have you had any luck f‌inding more help?
I'm still working my way up the chains of command. No corp wants to make the f‌irst move, in case this turns out to be a trap. It will take time to convince them that they face a true city-wide threat, and I'm not sure how much time we have.

Now, let's chat everybody up.

Are you okay?
I'm... f‌ine. Mostly. I'm worried about my friends, my family, my city. I don't know what's going to happen, but this whole place feels like Mount Diablo in the middle of summer. All it would take is a single spark to set the whole thing up in flames. It just feels like nothing good can come of this, right? I mean, in the best case, the bad guy dies before he does too much more harm. But that's it. No hope of getting rid of Saito, or making a decent life for the metahumans here. I dunno. If we succeed. I want my next job to be something that actually builds people up instead of blowing them apart.

What do you know about the Mission District?
Well, you've been there before. It's actually a pretty cool place, if for no other reason than because the marines typically stay far away. Of course, today that will actually be a bad thing. You'll probably need to enter in around 16th street, where the old BART station used to be. Make your way north from there. Shavarus must be hiding out in the abandoned Armory: that place was literally built as a fortress, and it's the only reason I can think of why they would be meeting in the district. I used to visit the Armory to, ah, take in the sights. It has a... complicated history. Be ready to see some nasty stuff inside.

Sounds fun.

I met a man named Emperor Norton in Colma.

[Necalli listens intently, never blinking while you describe your strange experiences in the Colma cemetery.]

How utterly fascinating. The original Emperor Norton was a madman, but a madman who was beloved by this city and left a lasting mark on culture around the world. I wonder if this new Norton is seeking to imitate his predecessor, or if some spirit was responsible for both of their missions? Such intervention was not unheard of during the f‌ifth world. We should keep a careful eye on your friend. I sense he has a larger role to play in all of this than we can see yet.

I need help taking down a rogue metahuman named Shavarus.
I believe I can help with that. Don't look shocked: I wouldn't have survived as long as I have without acquiring a vast network of contacts from all walks of life. I'll use my channels to f‌ind others who have been wronged by Shavarus. It will take some time, but with luck allies will arrive before you confront Shavarus.

That'll probably come in handy.

What's up?

The city is doomed!
Whoa, that sounds heavy! You're going to save us, right? Nothing against your skills, but I'm sure you could use some help. I think there are still a couple of runners around who could pitch in. Also, if you've made any friends, you might want to put out a call for assistance. It takes a village to kill a villain, right?

Typically we'd wait until the end of the month to pay out royalties. However, since I didn't pay you an advance to start, and, frankly, there's a good chance you'll be dead by tomorrow, I wanted to pay you now.

And we get a whopping 2500 nuyen. Nice.

In the unlikely event that you make it out of this alive, come look me up. We have a great shot at putting together an entire album.

Sure, why not? There are worse ways to become a revolutionary icon than by becoming a celebrity first. Got to reach people first before you radicalize them.

That sounds fun!
I'm shutting down Antumbra until this all blows over. Our mission is to provide distractions, and I won't want to distract anyone from f‌ighting the threat this city faces. Ganbatte kudasai. We're all counting on you.

Basically, this just means "the upper levels are off limits, everybody is downstairs instead".

What do you think about everything that's been happening recently?
I will not claim a perfect understanding of all events that have transpired, and certainly not the motivations of the individuals who have promulgated this particular strain of violent rebellion. However, the broad strokes are instantly recognizable to any student of history. Any time when a small and powerful minority holds dominion over a large and poor majority, revolution inevitably follows. The degree of suffering may vary, but cannot be avoided. Were I in Shavarus's position, I would undoubtedly have followed a different course. Cloaking oneself in schemes and conspiracies merely complicates operations, and makes it more diff‌icult to spread the message about your aims. And make no mistake: the ultimate purpose will be to convince all metahumans to follow in his path.

What's the word on the street?
General distress. Very few people know the details of Shavarus and his operations, but news of a schism in Emperor Norton's organization are spreading rapidly. Metahumans are rightfully fearful that any violence, regardless of the instigator, will prompt a widespread crackdown even more severe than what they have already experienced. A day of general expulsion may not be too far off.

Well, let's see what happens when we also hit the streets.

If you ever need to visit the Embarcadero again, and want some more assistance, just contact me. I know a lot of guards in that area who will look the other way for a small fee, or watch your back for a larger charge. Can I get you anything?

Any advice for invading the Mission District?
Wow. Well, if your quarry knows the territory, he's probably holed up inside the Armory. You can't miss it, it's the huge brick fortress at the corner of 14th and Mission. That place is probably the most defensible spot in the city, and because it's in the middle of a metahuman slum, Saito and the megacorps never bothered occupying it.

You'd better contact your lawyers, because I'm going to sue you for copyright infringement on the new hot chromatic metal star, Revolutionary Hero Kaminari.

What can Dalmin do for you today?

How is the shaman life treating you?
Not too shabbily. Supporting shamans are all the rage these days, so I f‌ind I've been able to command a higher premium. Which, in turn, helps fund what I hope will one day be my opulent lifestyle. Until then, though, I need to keep in shape and keep my skills sharp. It helps to keep on warm terms with good old Coyote, and I like to let the elements know that they're appreciated. Nothing's worse than summoning a being of pure f‌ire in the heat of battle, only to have it turn around and burn all your friends. I don't want to make that mistake again!

So, now we need to figure out how to prepare. As for the runner we're taking, Orion and Hailey both want 750 nuyen, while Dalmin wants 1200, which, uh, no. We probably also need to get some gear of some kind.

First, spending some Karma. We get Chi Casting up to 4 so we can equip Stride, which boosts our movement passively, boost Melee Weapons to 3 so we hit better, and boost Dodge to 3 to get hit less. Of course, we also go and buy Stride. Would be pretty dumb if we didn't! Now, we still have about 4000 nuyen left over, which means it's time to splurge on something special.

Cyberware! Now, since you lose Essence for getting chromed up, it's a bit of a balancing act for a PhysAd, but I think that it's definitely possible to get some and still be perfectly fine on the magic side. In fact, my previous PhysAd that I played through the Dragonfall campaign with, Enflamme, ended up with a grand total of 1 Essence. She was chromed to the gills and still an absolute murdering machine. Now, here, we're getting something absolutely great - Ares Dermal Plating. At the cost of 1.5 Essence and 2500 nuyen, it gives us a flat +2 to Armor, meaning Kami now has 8 Armor out of a maximum of 10. Kami is going to be a loving *tank*, which is good for someone who regularly just storms into enemy fire to slash the poo poo out of them.

Also, we're going to hire Orion again. He and Kami made a great team last time, and their character philosophies gel more than with Hailey. Let's head out!

So, we basically show up where we left the Mission district the last time, and we're going to go in reverse now.

We quickly run into marines, and Kami shows that that new armor was worth it, taking a grand total of 4 HP in damage from a direct hit from a shotgun blast. Pistol and assault rifle shots just straight ping off of her right now. It's fantastic.

And on our turn, she basically just splats one enemy every round if one is in range like an unflinching machine of death.

Like, just look at this!

Some metahuman gangers ambush us along the way. They, uh, don't fare well.

Same goes for this other group of gangers, though one actually manages to get lucky and score some crits on Kami.

These Tir guys that show up are also kind of tricky, since they manage to stun Kami for a round, but we get out of it without using any more resources.

And that brings us to the Armory.

I know what you're asking. Yes, the historic San Francisco Armory was indeed used as a BDSM focused porn studio. For twelve whole years, in fact.

Not everyone in the Mission is under Shavarus's thumb, you know. Plenty of us remain loyal to Emperor Norton. Shavarus has it all wrong. We metas need to show the breeders that we're better than them, not that we'll stoop to their level. We're building a better society, in Orkland and in Halferville and all around their privileged little city. Heh, it feels good to be launching a raid on this place. And, who knows, we might be able to f‌ind some supplies or munitions along the way. All the better to prepare for a hopeless battle, eh?

I mean, I'm not sure how I feel about this "show them we're better than them" thing, I most definitely wouldn't be opposed to fighting dirty in a conflict like this, but whatever, we'll take the help.

I am glad to have your help.
Now, let's go save their sorry skins! Ha, won't that embarrass the corps!

So, this adds somebody with a shotgun and a hellhound to our roster. We're lopsided as gently caress, but whatever, who cares.

The next room holds four Tir enemies, and we basically just storm in and attack.

Also, the room holds some supplies for us, which is very welcomed. There's also a jack-in spot we could've used if we had a decker, but meh, I don't think it's that important.

Next up, we see a lot of medical beds that seem to have seen better days, but nothing else here.

And in the next room, ZOMBIES!

Now, the gimmick of this fight is that there are crystals to smash. Every crystal that is not smashed will summon a new ghoul every round.

I figured I was done after cleaning out the last room, but alas, I was wrong. Turns out there were two more crystals in the previous room to smash.

The last one in particular had a bit of a buildup, given that it took me a while to get there. Thankfully, these ghouls don't deal a lot of damage to Kami, so she can just run in and smash the crystal, then take her time carving up everybody.

Once we destroy the last crystal, the door to the next area unlocks.

In that area, we get to deal with some more Tir, but then, our greatest foe yet emerges:

THE BRIDGE! I'm not kidding, by the way. This thing cost me more time than any combat here. Why is it such a problem? Well, it has a security feature.

If you step on specific tiles, you get shoved back and lose 2 HP. You basically have no recourse but trial and error to figure this out. Thankfully, the damage taken is pretty limited, and the steps you need to take aren't that complicated.

And the first one that gets across can disable the system, so everybody else can just run across.

In a quiet moment, Orion has some hard hitting questions for us. Let's get rabbinical in this and just return the question with a question of our own. I read The Shivah, I know how this works.

How about you, Orion? You've killed plenty of metas yourself.
Given the choice, I prefer killing humans, but it hardly matters in the big scheme of things. A hundred years from now, there will be no more humans, and only metas left to kill. We need to get used to it now because it will be the way of the future. I appreciate your insight. Now, the time for conversation is at an end. Let us turn to action!

That's a philosophical way of looking at it.

Pretty soon after this, we're hit with a loading screen, even though we didn't hit any transition point - we were just in the middle of a hallway. Oh well.

I get the feeling we're not going to make friends with whoever is past this bridge.

Looks like we interrupted a conversation in progress.

Of COURSE I do! Do you think your lives have any meaning compared to the thousands, the millions, that will be lost should Saito decide to march north? Are you really so petty, so selfish, as to think that living a few measly more years would be worth dooming your entire nation?
Certainly not, but the waste...
Silence! I see we have visitors. Ah, Kami. I thought I heard a rat scurrying through these tunnels. I've been planning how to best dispose of you for some time now. As soon as our work here is done, perhaps we can retire to the facilities together. I could learn a great deal from your innards. Well, hero? Any valiant last words?

Well, first of all, we can notice something because we're smart.

(Etiquette: Academic) Are you trying to turn water elementals against this city?
Not trying. Succeeding. Mission Creek is the oldest waterway still f‌lowing in the city. It's long been buried and forgotten, but here in this place, near the graves of Mission Dolores and under the extreme agonies and ecstacies of the Armory, it is imbued with a most potent power. From this spot, and with the help of my allies, we will be able to reach a limitless number of water elementals. We merely need describe the contours of the Hetch Hetchy water system to them, and they will gladly wreak havoc upon it. No more water will be unnaturally conveyed to San Francisco ever again. This city will die of thirst, or be abandoned. Regardless, it will serve as an eternal rebuke and warning: those who cross us will lose all they treasure, even the most basic gifts of life itself.

Why are you doing this?
Must you really ask? Are you blind? Have you noticed nothing during your time here in this city? This place is poison. Mankind has proven themselves to be intolerable. We must cleanse the poison, by removing humanity from this wound of a city. Yes, many more will die. So be it. All will learn to respect the metas, and so we will come into our own power, free from fear.

Alas, we could've been comrades in arms, but this is just going too far.

We could have been friends, Shavarus.
I f‌ind that hard to believe. Trolls like me have no friends. Only allies and enemies, and I don't think you have the stomach to do what needs to be done. Enough talk! You will witness our triumph, or you will die.

And we have ourselves a fight. Now, here's the gimmick for this fight. There are three enemy classes - there is Shavarus himself, there's two Tir mages, and then there's the rest of the Tir grunts. You can't harm Shavarus if the mages are alive, and you can't harm the mages if the rest of the grunts are alive. So you have to take the enemies out in order.

So we take out the grunts...

...then the mages fall, leaving Shavarus vulnerable. And at that point, he can't put up much of a fight, with focused fire from Kami and Orion taking him out.

Just... stop. I beg of you. Do not kill me.

Don't think you can trick me.
The summoning is in motion. Even as we speak, the elementals are gathering their power to strike. If you kill me now, they will f‌inish their appointed task. Spare me, and I swear to you in the name of all metahumans, I will call them off.

I don't trust you.
Were our roles reversed, I would feel mistrustful as well. I know not how I can prove my f‌idelity. Simply ask yourself: is the life of one troll, even one you hate, worth the lives of everyone in this city?

So, we need to make a decision. Do we let Shavarus live, believing him when he says he'll stop the summoning? Or do we just kill him? Well, I gave it a think, and I came to the decision that Kami would probably take the chance in letting him live, because you can't really take the gamble that he's not bluffing and causing San Francisco to get deserted, literally. Besides, it's going to come out that he was behind this poo poo, and that means everybody that has a vested interest in San Francisco will be trying to kill him anyway - both corps and Saito. And if he's bullshitting, he knows drat well we'd be going after him again. So let's let him go and hope for the best.

Very well. Leave, and stop them.
I... I must admit to feeling surprise. You have shown such tenacity to pursue me here, I did not think that you would give up at the last moment. I am good to my word, and will call off the elementals. Do not mistake this for an act of alliance, however. If we meet again, I swear, I will kill you.

I mean, the feeling is mutual. So, Shavarus casts some sort of spell and runs off...

...and *finally*, we can grab what we've been trying to get all this time.

And with the Azzie paydata secured, it's time to head back to Eclipse and hope like hell we didn't gently caress up.

This job ended up being more than I'd bargained for.
It turned out bigger than any of us had thought. I'm wearing two hats today, Kami. First, let me put on my Mr. Johnson hat and congratulate you on a job well done. We pay for results, not for efforts, and your efforts in pursuit of this result were truly extraordinary. Any corp would be lucky to have your services, and I imagine you'll be seeing a lot more work in the future. But I'd also like to speak to you as a San Franciscan. While this city is all about money and power, it's made out ofpeople and dreams. Saito and the corps don't understand that, but they would have found out very quickly if you hadn't managed to interrupt Shavarus when you did. This has always been a city for the free, the wild, the crazy, the ambitious, the creators. That energy still pulses now, even under the heel of Saito's boot. One day, that boot will be removed, and decades' worth of pent-up spirit will pour out. I hope you like creative accolades, because I think you'll receive many once the citizens realize what you've done. So, from the bottom of my heart, and from the bottom of my employer's bank accounts: thank you. We are in your debt.

Well, looks like we didn't gently caress up. Now, we get to chat with everybody else and wrap this job up, so let's roll.

Looks like I saved the day again.
And made me even richer than before. I understand that I have you to thank for Eclipse's newfound independence. Saito is incensed by Shavarus's escape. He's marshaled every marine under his command and ordered them to drop everything until they apprehend him. Saito wants to capture Shavarus for a public execution, to demonstrate the price of rebellion. With all of that activity, he is far too busy to worry about my little operation here. That means a freer hand for me to expand Eclipse, and, incidentally, my benefactor's operations. So! What can I do for the woman of the hour?

Let's get some updates.

How are the corps reacting?
They're trying to hide their embarrassment. Combined, Mitsuhama, Renraku, Fuchi and Shiawase control an absolute majority of the planet's wealth and power. Despite that, their crown jewel of a city was nearly destroyed from underneath them. As you might expect, they're busily trying to shift the blame onto one another or to Saito. There will probably be some major turnover on the corporate boards before this all blows over. And, of course, turnover always creates opportunities for the ambitious.

How is my chromatic metal track doing?
It was doing well before. Now that you have a front-page story to attach to it... well, the sky's the limit. You'll need to hire a manager just to handle all the endorsement deals. Stick with me, Kami. and you might become more famous as a musician than a shadowrunner. That is, if that's the life you want.

Now, we can ask for one of three things from Kali. Another song, some cash, or for her to just leave us alone. And I'm definitely on the train to turn Kami into a superstar, so let's continue that collaboration.

How about a song?
You got it! It feels good to perform again. I'm looking forward to sharing this with a friend.

[Shake his hand]

[Unsurprisingly, Orion's grasp is f‌irm and unhesitating.]

And so the time has come to part ways.

Where are you going?
My monograph is complete, backed by primary sources from the recent conflict here in San Francisco. I plan to embark on a grand tour of the Bay Area metahuman communities: Orkland, Halferville, any place where my brothers and sisters are gathering to escape the oppression of their human overseers.

What will you do next?
Witnessing Shavarus's quest has proven most instructive. One cannot simply embark on such an ambitious venture with nothing but passion and powerful allies. No: it will take an entire movement, with not just the f‌ighters and the mages, but fathers and daughters, shopkeepers and scholars, all rising up in unison to overthrow their oppressors.

And that's what we'll be trying to build.

Goodbye, Orion.
Even so. Knowing you has proven most instructive. I wish you good fortune in your future ventures.

Jealous?
Exhausted, more like. Just the thought of all that activity makes my head spin.

You just can't hang with the *real* runners.

I'm amazed that you survived all of that. Hey, if you ever need a shaman, don't hesitate to give me a buzz. I like runners who know how to stay alive. It greatly increases my own chances of living, and I've discovered that I quite enjoy this life.

Yeah, I think we'll pass on that. We know a better Shaman now.

Any last words?

That sounds morbid, Dalmin.
You're right, it does. Then again, we're in a morbid line of work, are we not? I hope you live to a ripe old age, Kami, and I suggest you develop a healthy paranoia if you want to reach it.

Are you going somewhere?
Indeed I am. Back to Seattle I go! This has been quite an adventure, and the pay is nothing to sneeze at, but oddly enough I f‌ind myself missing the rain. And, I never would have thought I'd be saying this, but after spending so much time under the boot of the Imperial Marines, I'm f‌inding our old-fashioned Lone Star police positively friendly.

Well, so long.

[Dalmin embraces you in a brief hug.]

Take care of yourself, Kami. I have a feeling that life is only going to grow more interesting for you.

I'm proud of you!

What will you do now?
I'm going to visit my family. I haven't seen them in a while, and after all that's happened, I think we have a lot to catch up on. Mom and Dad have never really accepted the emergence of metahumans, and I've realized that if we want to make real changes in the city, we'll need to win over the quiet people like them, not just oppose the loud bullies like Saito.

Any more plans for decking?
It's funny you would ask... I just found a node for the Sacramento government. Most matrix security focuses on keeping data from leaving, so I'm going to shove as much data in there as I can. More specif‌ically, I want to upload every detail I can about how Saito and Shavarus came close to destroying San Francisco. With any luck, that will shame the Governor into revoking his invitation, and we can properly rejoin CalFree again.

Have you heard from Tarne?
Yes! Thanks again for your help with that. We had a long chat and... well, I'm not going to travel to Tir Tairngire, you know? But we're staying friends. Everything's f‌ine.

Well, that's good to hear.

Goodbye, Hailey.
Oh, don't worry, Kami. I'm not going too far. This place is my home, and I intend to stay and make it an even better place.

Anybody else here?

You have earned yourself a boon, good ma'am. What would you have of us?

We'll be picking that in a bit, but first, some questions.

What does the Emperor plan next?
Why, to consolidate our empire, of course! We have already dispatched twenty imperial decrees since returning to San Francisco, and have been pleased to note that the local merchants and functionaries have immediately honored them. Most of all, we intend to improve the lives of all our subjects. The naked oppression shown to metahumans is simply disgraceful, and we shall remedy their condition with all tools at our disposal. Fortunately, more and more loyal subjects stand ready to do our bidding every day.

What will you do about Saito?
Saito himself shall be banished. As for his marines, we intend to display our gracious nature. Should any individual renounce their allegiance to Saito and pledge him or herself to the betterment of California, we shall welcome them as one of our own. In time, we shall integrate them with the rest of our people, building a stronger empire for all.

Alright, now, for our boon, we get a choice between cash, a title, or taking nothing and calling him a crazy old man. And since it seems Norton's got quite some clout with San Franciscans, it would probably do our quest to become a revolutionary icon good to be bestowed a title by him.

I wish a title, your majesty.
You well deserve it! Very well. You may kneel.
[You kneel.]
By the power invested in us by... ourself, we hereby grant Kami the title Lady of the Mission, with all rights and responsibilities thereunto. From this day forth you shall hold responsibility for her people, and shall share in their triumphs. Now rise, Lady Kami! Your subjects await! Fare thee well!

I'm not sure accepting a title of nobility is entirely in character for somebody who walks around with a baseball cap with the anarchist symbol on it, but I think out of all the imperialist systems that exist in this world, Norton's empire is probably one of the most benign out there, and hey, the world of Shadowrun makes strange bedfellows of people.

Now, let's finish this section.

Yes.

[Saito's already-notorious paranoia increases yet further as he begins to see plots and schemes in every gathering of metahumans. Civil war appears inevitable. The only question remaining is which side will strike f‌irst. However, news quietly spreads of a runner whose quick actions and wise decisions helped prevent an even worse fate. By dealing with the devil at the last moment, the runner saved the life of the city and all those living within it. Who was this runner? The orks and dwarves of the city speak warmly of an ally, one who stood by their side even when the odds looked grim, someone who was willing to risk their own safety on behalf of the disenfranchised. In a time when few individuals of any race dared to question Saito, this shadowrunner proved that resistance was not merely possible, but laudable. Word of the runner spreads from San Francisco to CalFree and beyond. The world's most powerful megacorporations and militaries had seemed helpless to prevent a terrorist strike at the heart of their empire, but this runner succeeded where they failed, acting swiftly and decisively. Their fame continued to spread as countless corps and other groups sought them. Fame does not suit one who runs in the shadows, though, and so the shadowrunner ran. and ran, and ran...]

And with this, we finished the second section of three - "Eclipse". You might think this means we're going to be done with this mod soon, but not quite so quick - the third section, "Corona", is definitely the longest, which makes sense for somebody who has been continually improving while creating these sections.

So, next time, we begin the final chapter, and things are going to escalate quite a bit.