Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

DancingShade posted:

I wonder if the XMPP removal is being done for another reason. Perhaps they want to un-link STO and champions online so they can finally sunset the latter.

There is some speculation that Neverwinter is the real cause since it has no LTS:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/ct9gof/xmpp_is_being_removed_from_all_cryptic_titles_and/

As far as sunsetting Champs, they actually just started adding new content again. Since Cryptic owns the IP and the game has lockboxes, it probably generates enough money to keep it running indefinitely if just a few whales play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Upgrade weekend starts tomorrow but I bet you anything there will be a ship sale or something like that during it. They don't want the dilithium exchange to drop below 400 ever.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
There's no reason to speculate on the reasons for them taking away xmpp, its because they are lazy shiftless talentless hacks, you redditor

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 21, 2019

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I keep finding references to characters or quests that aren't in the game anymore. I get this can happen sometimes but the frequency is making this game look way more sloppy than it would need to.

Meanwhile, I hit level 65 on my Fed char and that unlocks like a dozen quests?? Uh, great pacing there, game?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Probably terrified of Hong Kongers using xmpp to spread pro-democracy messages :china:

E:^^ there used to be a whole mission about halfway through the game where the floor ceased to exist 4 years ago

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sad current players will never get to experience the wonders and joys of that fire cave mission which was mostly walkways over death lava.

It had absolutely zero pathfinding baked in which meant your entire away team would commit suicide by falling into lava or simply get stuck on everything. You had to solo the whole map, which back then was a lot easier said than done.

Got you a sweet not-a-stargate floor trophy though.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
Neverwinter online does have a pretty big gold seller spam thing going on but i'd lean towards "end-of-life'ing a tech we have no idea how to operate anymore". occam's razor

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ritznit posted:

I keep finding references to characters or quests that aren't in the game anymore. I get this can happen sometimes but the frequency is making this game look way more sloppy than it would need to.

Meanwhile, I hit level 65 on my Fed char and that unlocks like a dozen quests?? Uh, great pacing there, game?
Before the big quest change, there was a huge long line of quests that had to be done in order, one after another. You could skip a lot of them, but not all of them, and some earlier quest rearrangements had left things in a confusing and brittle state, where sometimes you couldn't progress until you went back and played an earlier mission that the game allowed you to skip earlier. It was a real pain for long-time players - I once spent hours trying to get a new alt (that I leveled up the fast way) to the point that they could start one of the later missions to get the rewards for it.

The new method of forcing you to accept a dozen quests all at once isn't that much of an improvement. It's faster to get to the missions you want to run on alts, but you end up with a horribly messy quest log.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

There is an option somewhere that stops the quest spam from everything that's available.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

:abrathink:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I tried neverwinter during the closed beta. It was incredibly boring and played like poo poo. Somehow worse than STO.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

New Kelvin Lockbox incoming in September. It will have a Kelvin Timeline Heavy Destroyer and D7 variant.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

timjin posted:

New Kelvin Lockbox incoming in September. It will have a Kelvin Timeline Heavy Destroyer and D7 variant.

If we're getting reliable leaks again, the least you can do is put them in the Wiki so that pubbies can get mad about it again.

Also, some interesting notes from the weekly stream:

In a few days there'll be announcement regarding romulan ships and allowing non-roms to fly them.
Cooperative is likely to be new faction, but not soon.
Setting to reduce space visual effects clutter is possible. He wanted to announce it last week when power went out.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Next up they're gonna "sunset" the LTS zen stipend

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
If anyone cares the Colony 5 job for SFD just kicked off. 10.5 days runtime ! :woop:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Coq au Nandos posted:

In a few days there'll be announcement regarding romulan ships and allowing non-roms to fly them.

That's a surprisngly player friendly move to make. Suppose it makes sense since it's already the other way around.

MREBoy posted:

If anyone cares the Colony 5 job for SFD just kicked off. 10.5 days runtime ! :woop:

Does it unlock anything interesting?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Does it unlock anything interesting?

Some colony visuals, some invasion simulation junk, and the privilege of possibly buying the Lukari Space Boomerang for 5 FSMs & 20k fleet credits. Note that the sorta freebie FSMs you get from tier 6 reps work for this.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Lukari_Dranuur_Scout_Ship

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
kentari boff is the main thing right?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

hakimashou posted:

kentari boff is the main thing right?

Buying those guys was unlocked when Morale Center V was completed.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Coq au Nandos posted:

If we're getting reliable leaks again, the least you can do is put them in the Wiki so that pubbies can get mad about it again.

Where on the wiki would you want them? Also, what did I miss about pubbies getting mad over leaks? Who the gently caress gets mad about future content?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

timjin posted:

Where on the wiki would you want them? Also, what did I miss about pubbies getting mad over leaks? Who the gently caress gets mad about future content?

It was a thing, years ago. They were mad that we had a few devs. It was nice knowing when to sell off all the old bugships two weeks before the T6 bugship was announced

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Looks like the creators of Mount and Blade unbanned me from their servers. Maybe it's time, PWE, I have served my time and request a pardon.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11237543-test-your-ship-builds-on-tribble%21

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's been a long time since I thought of myself as a competent player. (maybe Delta Rising, all the players love it?) I'm almost afraid to see how badly I'll parse.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Coq au Nandos posted:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11240193

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
Changes to events

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11240253-get-event-rewards-quicker%21

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Still waiting for wiki access, name there is Ritznit.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://twitter.com/CaptainGeko/status/1166479363266596864

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lol that reads like a Trump tweet.

Amazing story. Great features. Top quality. Can’t wait!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Bigly features. The mostest features.

Rahhmi
Aug 18, 2015

GO WEEDJI!

[05/28/2016 12:40:42 AM] Pulse: don't stir up my
personal drama, please
I want to see what my quote is to steal it and i'm too lazy to figure out some other way

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rahhmi posted:

I want to see what my quote is to steal it and i'm too lazy to figure out some other way

Was it on SA? Search is barely functional so probably best to give it up as lost.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

PWE is having a 15% buy Zen bonus + sales for stuff in all their titles until 9/3 apparently. STO got a 20% ship sale. Lovely timing as I have both the T6 freebie token and 3k zen laying around but I don't have any free ship slots but now I can buy slots AND ships :woop: .

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11242933-2019-end-of-summer-bonus-currency-sale

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

The "please don't forget about us" sale to compete with WoW Classic's release.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Fired up the launcher, this is one of the adverts in rotation, clicking it gives a 404 on the Arc site:

No idea if the word order is intentional or a case of Engrish :crossarms: .

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

MREBoy posted:

Fired up the launcher, this is one of the adverts in rotation, clicking it gives a 404 on the Arc site:

No idea if the word order is intentional or a case of Engrish :crossarms: .

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11243763-new-patrol%3A-rescue-and-search%21

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They're going to post a blog for each of the new patrols because the next season doesn't have much else to talk about.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Any word on when we're going to get STO Classic?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nipponophile posted:

Can't you still roll a TOS-era character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nipponophile posted:

Playing classic launch era STO sounds like a terrible idea. I remember the nightmare of facing double romulan medics in an eternal mutual ressurrection loop.