Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just Offscreen posted:

Fun fact: that place really exists- minus the holograms. It's The Old Faithful Visitor Education Center in Yellowstone.

Most major locations and buildings in Horizon are directly based off a real world counterpart...with some distances compressed.

That's exactly what makes it one of my favorite game worlds, it's like a toybox version of the intermountain west with all sorts of places I've been IRL. I fell in love with the game when I randomly found a place I'd worked at in CO repurposed into a bandit settlement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Just Offscreen posted:

...with some distances compressed.

videogames.txt

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lobok posted:

videogames.txt

I mean there's a reason game map size stopped being a selling point and that's because people finally started to catch on that the important thing regarding fun was the density of interesting things and not 'it'd take hours realtime to get from one corner to the other'

compressing distances to turn a bunch of real-world places into a manageable series of setpieces is very videogamey but it sure isn't a bad thing

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flatluigi posted:

I mean there's a reason game map size stopped being a selling point and that's because people finally started to catch on that the important thing regarding fun was the density of interesting things and not 'it'd take hours realtime to get from one corner to the other'

compressing distances to turn a bunch of real-world places into a manageable series of setpieces is very videogamey but it sure isn't a bad thing

Totally agree. I think it was the Odyssey thread where I was talking about open worlds and another poster mentioned the need for some empty space but obviously there's a balance and it's not fun or a good use of resources to have a whole bunch of nothing even if it's accurate to a real world.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

flatluigi posted:

Hadn't thought about it, but you're right. That must have happened this console generation, every game can do a big world now, and you can always get some height and scale way back and see a shitload of it. It's pretty amazing to compare something like the deus ex 1 port to the ps2 and how they chopped those levels into teeny little loading zone areas, and then play something perfectly average like Mad Max on the ps4, and take a hot air balloon way up into the sky and see roads and camps and cars going for miles in every direction.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There was some Battle Royale game that was cancelled mid-development because they wanted 1000 players per round in a map with realistic distances. Some stupid poo poo.

I wish AC Odyssey, like Origins, hadn't felt the need to recreate Greece in it's entirety. By doing so they just made the copy-pasting more obvious. Please stick to multiple regions. The Witcher 3 didn't contrive to stick every region together so they could show off.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

flatluigi posted:

I believe at some point someone mathed out that the original two continents in WoW combined would be, at human scale, about the size of Manhattan. Even the biggest open world games compress space by several orders of magnitude because real life is filled with a whole bunch of nothing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Daggerfall's scale was an amusing novelty, precisely once

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There was some Battle Royale game that was cancelled mid-development because they wanted 1000 players per round in a map with realistic distances. Some stupid poo poo.

I wish AC Odyssey, like Origins, hadn't felt the need to recreate Greece in it's entirety. By doing so they just made the copy-pasting more obvious. Please stick to multiple regions. The Witcher 3 didn't contrive to stick every region together so they could show off.

Well Skellige was pretty uninteresting. Most of the islands had one or two quests and a lot of copy-pasted uninteresting and unrewarding points of interesting. There was some great stuff in The Witcher but I still think its open world was way too big and frankly not as grounded as people think it is.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Skellige has the weakness of having a 100 useless POIs dotting the map. It's also very odd in that it looks huge but you can scale the mountains in less than 30 seconds. The entire place is an optical-illusion.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I really loved the map in Spiderman on PS4. You can tell where you are on the map pretty reliably by the architecture and the NYC landmarks, and it's so much fun to traverse. It's one of only two games I've ever gone for 100% of collectibles - entirely because it was genuinely fun to get them. The other was Saints Row 4, for the exact same reason.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

I believe at some point someone mathed out that the original two continents in WoW combined would be, at human scale, about the size of Manhattan. Even the biggest open world games compress space by several orders of magnitude because real life is filled with a whole bunch of nothing.

I always liked the old Alfred Hitchcock quote of "What is drama but life with the dull bits cut out?" I feel like that applies to games too; as cool as an enormous game world is from a purely technical standpoint games really should follow that same thing. I feel like a lot of games with huge worlds end up making you spend most of your time just getting from place to place. That's boring as hell and is why they always end up putting in some way to teleport.

Wandering around Morrowind was fun the first time but the snag came in when you realized just how freaking much time you ended up spending just walking. When I went back to replay the game the first mod I installed was a mod that let you have multiple marks because gently caress all that drat time spent walking.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I really loved the map in Spiderman on PS4. You can tell where you are on the map pretty reliably by the architecture and the NYC landmarks, and it's so much fun to traverse. It's one of only two games I've ever gone for 100% of collectibles - entirely because it was genuinely fun to get them. The other was Saints Row 4, for the exact same reason.

It helps to have a moveset which lets you dash at super-speed, run up buildings, and fly. Collecting 500 frog-scrotums is a lot more painful when you're controlling a realistic, grounded character.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This conversation about map size reminds me of this story on Kojima's Death Stranding.

quote:

...we also get to see just how big the open world in this game is, spanning the entirety of the USA. There is, bizarrely (or not, considering horse poop in MGSV), an option to urinate on the ground. Kojima says that the mushroom that appears on the ground represents where many players have peed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I couldn't find much info on that, do we know if it's an HZD-esque "sort of the full US" map or if it's a crazy full-on giant map for Kojima reasons?

vvv Yeah I meant a variation on their compressed, tiny version of real places applied to the full US, but I guess it was ambiguous.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Aug 20, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I couldn't find much info on that, do we know if it's an HZD-esque "sort of the full US" map or if it's a crazy full-on giant map for Kojima reasons?

Isn't HZD just the Rocky Mountains?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

This is more about technology than any one particular game but the stuff that’s possible with face-capture technology these days is really incredible. I was just watching Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II, a movie from 1993–almost as old as I am and older than some of my friends and coworkers. One of the characters, a general in the war room scenes, looked super familiar, I knew I recognized him from somewhere but couldn’t quite place where. I’ve been watching a lot of Japanese movies lately so I thought it was a just another film I saw recently and looked him up on IMDB—it was the guy who played Genda, one of your allies in Judgment. The faces in that game are so lifelike that I recognized the actor despite a 25-year age difference.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It helps to have a moveset which lets you dash at super-speed, run up buildings, and fly. Collecting 500 frog-scrotums is a lot more painful when you're controlling a realistic, grounded character.

I'm fine with collecting stuff as a realistic character if the game makes it more inviting in other ways or helps out with the process. Vice City still has one of my favourite collectibles systems because you recieve tiers of rewards along the way so you want to find three or four more to get the next cool thing. It's not an all-or-nothing collection.

Or if the game helps with tracking. I wish more games avoided that situation where you collect 99 thingamajigs out of 100 and even if you have a list/map to assist with the last one it still means potentially revisiting the 99 locations because you're not sure which one remains.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

This is more about technology than any one particular game but the stuff that’s possible with face-capture technology these days is really incredible. I was just watching Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II, a movie from 1993–almost as old as I am and older than some of my friends and coworkers. One of the characters, a general in the war room scenes, looked super familiar, I knew I recognized him from somewhere but couldn’t quite place where. I’ve been watching a lot of Japanese movies lately so I thought it was a just another film I saw recently and looked him up on IMDB—it was the guy who played Genda, one of your allies in Judgment. The faces in that game are so lifelike that I recognized the actor despite a 25-year age difference.

I dunno man, as early as 1987 I recognized the likeness of the guy they used for the final boxer in Punch-Out!!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

REmake 2 had the map-feature where rooms are colour-coded to tell you if cleared out the area of resources. It's a simple feature that works better than the HUD piping up saying you've collected 60% of the sheep-spleens like Ubisoft fare.

Video-games are always getting more complex visually but this clashes with the need to be straightforward. This is why Batman has detective-vision, Deus Ex has the piss-filter outlines, and Geralt can uses his super-senses to find a ladder lying on the ground. So inevitably all the pretty-texture ends up as background-noise.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RE2make had a great map interface. Now just combine that with the RE4 inventory and we're golden.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

marshmallow creep posted:

This conversation about map size reminds me of this story on Kojima's Death Stranding.

Give it a week after launch and there'll be a Reddit group devoutly dedicated to making a large mushroom patch in one specific stupid place on the map.

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Aug 20, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

An unbounded, crowdsourced megashroom would be one of the all-time great achievements in gaming.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give it a week after launch and there'll be a Reddit group devoutly dedicated to making a large mushroom patch in one specific stupid place on the map.

The most important question: will it be in the shape of a dick or a swastika?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Afriscipio posted:

The most important question: will it be in the shape of a dick or a swastika?

Just lol if you don't instinctively know that each arm of the swastika will be a dick

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

become the piss wizard and grow your own telvanni tower at last

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

REmake 2 had the map-feature where rooms are colour-coded to tell you if cleared out the area of resources. It's a simple feature that works better than the HUD piping up saying you've collected 60% of the sheep-spleens like Ubisoft fare.

Video-games are always getting more complex visually but this clashes with the need to be straightforward. This is why Batman has detective-vision, Deus Ex has the piss-filter outlines, and Geralt can uses his super-senses to find a ladder lying on the ground. So inevitably all the pretty-texture ends up as background-noise.

This reminds me of Examina. The premise is that it's an isometric ARPG with a physics based combat system in which you try to escape a dungeon. I found something new in it in every run...because it's near impossible to see a brown sledgehammer on a brown wooden shelf against a greyish brown floor. It's the sole reason I like detective vision and glowing outline filters.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I always liked the old Alfred Hitchcock quote of "What is drama but life with the dull bits cut out?" I feel like that applies to games too; as cool as an enormous game world is from a purely technical standpoint games really should follow that same thing. I feel like a lot of games with huge worlds end up making you spend most of your time just getting from place to place. That's boring as hell and is why they always end up putting in some way to teleport.

Wandering around Morrowind was fun the first time but the snag came in when you realized just how freaking much time you ended up spending just walking. When I went back to replay the game the first mod I installed was a mod that let you have multiple marks because gently caress all that drat time spent walking.

I'm of two minds when it comes to this kind of stuff. On the one hand, a lot of developers clearly design their worlds as a series of interesting locations and then pad out everything else as a necessary evil. This is lame, and the player shouldn't be expected to trudge between pieces of the actual game just for the sake of realism or whatever. Make traversal more involved, make navigation more of a thing (see: Breath of the Wild), make the in-between spaces themselves as much of the game as the rest of it, or, as said, just do away with the meaningless spaces in favor of something else. (This is why I loving hate space games, because almost all of them involve pointing your ship at a marker and then going to make a sandwich while nothing happens for several minutes.)

But on the other hand, those empty spaces can do a lot for a game under the right circumstances. They can help pace the game out, they can show off aspects of the game that the player wouldn't otherwise be focused on (I have a weakness for games that let me get lost in the prettiness of the outdoors now and again), they can flesh out the world differently than Content can, they can set mood, or, for better or worse, ground the world via some degree of realism.

I think a more apt point is that a lot of games take place in open worlds they don't know what to do with. GTA and its ilk are especially guilty of this.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Nier Automata's world could have been half as big and I would not have complained. BOTW didn't feel too big because they managed to pack so many incredible and unique biomes and landmarks into it that the exploration didn't get old. Unless, of course, you wanted an equal diversity of tangible rewards to go along with it.

In fact, I'd like to see more tightly designed, densely packed open worlds like, say, Yakuza or um... the hub areas in Deus Ex?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
That's precisely why I like the 'inmersive sim' genre, or whatever genre Prey is part of. Just a big densely packed area full of stuff to root through.

Also the Yakuza games. A few city blocks but there are stores, mini games, restaurants, sidequests, etc crammed in that area.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Age of wonders planetfall lets you upgrade units with mods that improve their stats, add new abilities and so on. Independent monsters automatically get these mods as the game goes on to keep them competitive. After awhile the game loves to give monsters this one biochemical mod that makes them explode a poisonous status effect in an AOE around them after each turn. For whatever reason the game's camera always thinks this is very important and will delay your turn to dramatically zoom in on the monster farting. This basically never amounts to anything since you're normally only taking safe battles and killing them before they can get close, but it does mean that every fight with independents in the second half of the game will be periodically interrupted to let you know that pterodactyl over there just let one rip.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yakuza's lucky in that its whole setting is very suited to having a super densely-packed world, because it's set in a bustling district of Tokyo where things actually would be really condensed like that. It works great, but not many games can do it that organically.

Somewhat unrelated, but it's also had the strength where most of the games have been set in the same area, so you can see how this specific little bit of Tokyo handles through the years, in economic booms and busts. That might also help how dense they can make the world--they've done these exact streets enough times that they've got some groundwork to work with--but mostly I just like how it makes the world feel more real and lived-in. When people talk about media where 'the city is like a character itself' I mostly don't get it, but I do feel that way about Kamurocho.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I was just gonna mention how Morrowind did this right, with the boots of blinding speed, various ways of getting to move hella fast (levitate, jumping or spells) and so many different ways of fast traveling: the two temple teleport spells, mark and recall, boats, the insect busses, mages guild and even the ancient temple teleporters

All of that made the times where you actually had to gently caress off into the wilderness that much more desolate and empty and made you kinda realize it was gently caress off nowhere in a way that the rest wasnt

Though, again, pity the fool that didn't grab the boots of blinding speed and up their gamma after robbing the Redoran vault

Cleretic posted:

Yakuza's lucky in that its whole setting is very suited to having a super densely-packed world, because it's set in a bustling district of Tokyo where things actually would be really condensed like that. It works great, but not many games can do it that organically.

Somewhat unrelated, but it's also had the strength where most of the games have been set in the same area, so you can see how this specific little bit of Tokyo handles through the years, in economic booms and busts. That might also help how dense they can make the world--they've done these exact streets enough times that they've got some groundwork to work with--but mostly I just like how it makes the world feel more real and lived-in. When people talk about media where 'the city is like a character itself' I mostly don't get it, but I do feel that way about Kamurocho.
Kamurocho is a character as much as Kiryu is and the two reflect on one another really well

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I've talked about it before but I love how Mortal Kombat puts classic horror villains in their DLCs

https://twitter.com/MortalKombat/status/1164160723846516736

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That is the yuppiest joker ever made wow

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I've talked about it before but I love how Mortal Kombat puts classic horror villains in their DLCs

https://twitter.com/MortalKombat/status/1164160723846516736

Your post made me expect Pinhead when I saw the chains.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Star Control: Origins has a planet called Myanus. it's covered in useless minerals.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
In the game Satisfactory (basically a modern FPS Factorio), anything you recycle for materials gives you exactly the same amount of parts you used to create it. It's such a little thing, but it's great that I don't have to worry about carrying 30-50% more of {thing} because you need to move something.

Hell, it ties into the theme of the game, told to you a few minutes in by your AI: We do not waste.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

MisterBibs posted:

In the game Satisfactory (basically a modern FPS Factorio), anything you recycle for materials gives you exactly the same amount of parts you used to create it. It's such a little thing, but it's great that I don't have to worry about carrying 30-50% more of {thing} because you need to move something.

Hell, it ties into the theme of the game, told to you a few minutes in by your AI: We do not waste.

I tried that in early access and had some fun with it but there really wasn't enough there to hold me. Have they put a little more meat on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

At this point I unironically have a favourite restaurant in a fictional city.