Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
20. For Women's Ears Only (featuring Ophilia, Tressa, Primrose, and H'aanit)

Don't you?
Aye. 'Tis as if fate hath drawn us together.
I look forward to hearing everyone's stories.
As do I. Everyone, no matter how grand or humble, has their own story to tell.

Well, I always tell visitors to try our winter vegetable soup.
Ooh, that sounds delicious. I love vegetables!
It's probably good for your skin, too.
And just one sip will warm you right up.
How about you, H'aanit? What's the food back home like?
It is good. But in my village, there is an inn that serveth wild boar roasted over an open fire. Truth be told, it is the finest food I have ever tasted.
Roasted boar? Gosh...

Hm?
R-romantic!? You mean like...
Sharing a delicious meal with a special someone? Right...?

I see I have a lot of explaining to do. It's like this...
Ooooooh... Primrose, you have to tell us more!
Yes, please! Impart us with your wisdom!
I, too, have some interest in what you knowest.

...!
H'aanit, you first. What's your type?
Me? Well, er, I have not thought upon it, truth be told...

Eh? But...
If such men exist, they must be ever so rare!
Thinkest thou so?
Oh, I wouldn't say rare, exactly. But...not common, either.

Oooh! I could listen to you talk about this all day, Primrose. You know everything!
Hehe. Thank you.
So, Ophilia? What kind of man do you like?
I was raised in the church, so I haven't had much opportunity to compare...

Aw, how sweet.
Oh, come on. Try to be more specific! Narrow it down a little.
Indeed. What dost thou desiren, in thine heart?
Desire!? Well, there's no room in my heart for such a thing...
There most certainly is! So tell us. We're waiting!

I want a man who's compassionate, caring, thoughtful, and upright. He has to be able to handle a sword, but also be clever. Like a scholar. Someone who's hard on himself, but forgiving of others. Oh, and taller than me, of course. And broad-minded and tolerant. And generally wonderful.

You see? I knew I shouldn't have told you... This is so embarrassing.
Ophilia, let me give you one piece of advice.

Ooooooh! How do you know so much, Primrose? It's amazing!
It all comes down to experience, ladies.
Gosh, I'm learning so much!

What? Oh, haha! You don't really want to hear about my type...do you?
Tressa...
We're waiting!
W-well then, if you insist...

Primrose, hast thou advice?
Tressa... You need to forget about trading for a bit.

Oooooooooh!
I'll take that lesson to heart!
As will I. We've learned so much from your experiences, Primrose!

Me? Well, that's easy. See, what I like in a man is...
...!

It's been fun, ladies. Let's chat again soon.

Our final tavern banter is the most involved of all, and also one of the goofiest since it's Primrose playing to a captive audience and the women sharing their sometimes-bizarre preferences. Still worth it for Tressa's taste in men.

And that's all the tavern banters! Hope you all got a kick outta them! Next time we'll go back to side stories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mega64 posted:

It all comes down to experience, ladies.

Is that actually H'aanit's line? It doesn't sound like her.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'd guess that was supposed to be attributed to Primrose but got messed up. It stuck out for me too when transcribing this one.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Seems to me Ophelia just wants to find a nice blacksmith lesbian

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That depends. How tall is Cyrus and how good is he with a sword?

Also, Tressa. And Ophilia's reaction. :allears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Music: A Sea Breeze Blows

I'm now back and ready to finish this LP! Let's take on another side story to kick things off.

Pray do not tell anyone of my identity. It would not do for anyone to know that the crown princess of Atlasdam is abroad like this.

Professor Paul has been traveling around an island nation off the mainland, for the sake of his research. It's been a decade since he left these shores. But today at last, the ship bearing him is due at this harbor...

SILENCE

We'll need every boat we've got to help the people! They won't make it long among those waves!

No, it cannot be... Forgive me, but I must go find out more!

So of course, there's a complication in this upcoming reunion between teacher and pupil.

Professor Paul... Please be all right...

Naturally, Cyrus is not one to let a fellow scholar and educator languish in danger.

Mary herself is pretty much as studious as she appears in Cyrus's story. She's also still the only royalty that shows up besides King Khalim and Princess Gloria of Marsalim.

There's probably a NPC that tells us where he went, but I think I missed them, so pretend I talked to that NPC and didn't just remember to go here instead.

This is the optional dungeon for this area of the Coastlands, and yes, this is a Level 45 dungeon in a Chapter 1 area.

Music: Dark Caverns

Otherwise, it's your bog-standard underwatern cavern, and rather boring by those standards. Though it does have a couple details that make it stand out.

First, whatever the hell sea mammal has such massive teeth.

I assume this inflicts a status effect since it dealt no damage, but it dealt no status effect either. I blame the giant teeth distracting it.

Otherwise, there is a mysterious figure over here. Could this be Professor Paul...?

In fact, this is Vanessa Hysel, the boss from Alfyn's Chapter 2. Seems she's at least chilled considerably since Alfyn beat her up and haunted her nightmares.

She also holds the strongest dagger in the game, the Battle-tested Dagger. That PhysAtk is a huge boost over the second-best dagger, and it has a nifty debuff that pairs well with its massive Evasion boost. Really great grab.

Anyway I decide to have her tag along because, well, why not. She's probably lonely living in this cave by herself.

Also she has drugs, and drugs in RPGs are always good.

Eventually, I do find the actual Professor Paul.

And worst of all...I have no idea where I am any longer!

He's certainly a professor, alright.

Sadly, we have to take Professor Paul with us to complete this side story, and I only bothered to bring Ophilia along. Have fun being alone in a dark wet cave!

Music: A Sea Breeze Blows

Now to hurry him back to Princess Mary before he gives us a lecture.

Yes? Who might you... No... Your Highness!?
Yes, it is me! Mary! I am so relieved to find you alive and well!
What a shock! My goodness, I should hardly have recognized you! Even in my dreams, I could not have imagined you would grow into such a fine lady!

I have never felt more keenly the ten years that have passed since I left this continent until this moment. Such a long time it does feel like now!

Of course I remember it.
I had only meant to play a prank. I had hidden that precious tome of yours in one of the palace's chimneys...

It was spring and so I hadn't thought there was any chance that anyone would set a fire. And still, the book ended up so awfully coated with soot that it could never be read again... But when I tried to apologize to you, you told me this...

"But I hope you will promise me two things. The first, that you will never do such a thing again... And the second...that you will take this empty tome and fill it with your own words. Write down all that you learn from this day onward. And when you have filled this entire volume, return it to me."

Yet it was more than ten years ago now... How the time does fly...
I have kept both of my promises, Professor Paul. And this belongs to you...

...You have learned a great deal in these ten years. Now I understand very well the grace and wisdom in your eyes. And looking at the worn pages of this volume, I can tell exactly how hard it is that you've been working all this time.
Everything that I am today is thanks to the wonderful tutors I have had--like you, Professor Paul.

I am so glad that I was able to see my promise fulfilled...

Everyone has that one teacher that changed their entire view on life. For Princess Mary, this was more than just reuniting with a teacher that gave her new perspective, this was about keeping a promise ten years in the making.

But all of that is irrelevant to us. All we care about is this staff, which has mediocre ElemAtk for a end-game staff but makes up for it with an ice boost. It's nice when paired with another weapon we'll get later that also boosts ice as well as another weapon with high ElemAtk like the Rune Glaive. So it takes a bit of work to make this weapon shine, but it's definitely a solid option!

Someday I will be queen and must dedicate my life to the betterment of my people... That is why I will never stop trying to learn all I can to prepare myself to support my people.

I have no doubt she will be a great queen someday. I greatly look forward to seeing the day when that happens.

At any rate, it seems the future looks bright in Atlasdam, as great professors such as Paul and Cyrus have ensured the kingdom will be in great hands for the next generations.

Next time, we beat up regrets.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Having Ophilia guide Vanessa makes me realize it was probably a missed opportunity to not let her have a Chapter boss that she guides while trying to redeem them.

Also, according to the wiki, she might have a thing for Primrose if that Allure dialogue is anything to go by.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 22, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Princess Mary? More like Princess Fuckin' Nerd

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Princess Mary? More like Princess Fuckin' Nerd

Look, we've already established that was just a rumor being spread to get Cyrus in trouble.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Music: Flamesgrace, Guiding Light

We've got another twofer today, though since it's more about Lianna I'm having Ophilia as lead.

And I'm partly to blame for that. I helped lead them into madness, together with that man who called himself a savior. I know that so many people are trying to recover from that experience and rebuild their lives...

I think I have to go back to Wispermill. Maybe...maybe if I do, then...

Unsurprisingly, Lianna still harbors a lot of guilt for helping the Savior, which almost resulted in the entire village being sacrificed. She wants to make amends in any way she can.

Which means we'll also be heading to Wispermill.

Music: Gazing Over the Great Plain

And there's Lianna, chatting up with another familiar face...

They did. It is most vexsome.

Her father once headed the Knights Ardante.
Pray don't mention it, Lianna! His achievements are not my own.
We came here to try to find out more about the ruins where that altar lay...

Well, if we all know one another, that makes things even easier. Never mind the niceties. The point is this...

Yes. We had even gathered together a goodly number of people to aid us in this venture...
But someone doesn't want us to. Our provisions have been ransacked, and we meet with obstacles every step we take.
We've made no progress at all, as a result. It is truly a bother.

Naturally, that's where we come in.

And the villagers who had been willing to help us are now growing wary. Do you think you could help us unravel this mystery?

There's a neat detail about how she's lost the trust of those who followed her due to her actions, something that probably could've been played up a bit more to really sink in how low Lianna must be feeling, and why she's so invested in making things right.

The Bishop's Staff has the second-highest ElemAtk of any staff, and the light boost is pretty nifty as well. Expensive, but worth the money. Or rather, it would be if you didn't get a free one just for completing this side story.

There have been rumors that some followers of the dark flame are still among us, though they hide their identities. Word has it the thieves' den is deep in the Forest of Purgation. I wonder if we might find something there.

With the whole Redeye business wrapped up, Eliza's able to help out with the aftermath of this cult. And by that, I mean she's having us do it for her.

At least she's willing to cheer us on! Though I pass on the offer since I'm worried bringing her with us will break the side story.

The Forest of Purgation has a hefty level recommendation of L58, which I'm nowhere near with my characters around the low 50's.

Music: The Trees Have Eyes

That said, it's not really that bad. At least for this side story. We'll be back here in the future, and it will not be a pleasant experience...

But the actual encounters here aren't that bad. At least, the couple I faced weren't.

I also spent far too much time trying to capture a foe since I didn't bother bringing Olberic along like an idiot. This foe caps out at 20%, but having it broken raises this to 40%. Of course, good luck breaking a foe if it's at 1HP without it dying. But I also found out inflicting a status effect on a foe also raises the catch rate, which is handy...except the only skill that inflicts a status effect is Empoison, which is not great for purposes of raising the chances of catching a foe. Fortunately, that's what those items that inflict status effects are good for.

In the northwest corner of the forest is this suspicious-looking man...

We may have lost our savior, but the accurst flame will not be extinguished!

You know, I get the feeling this guy may be associated with Mattias's cult.

This fellow uses a variety of magic, including a couple of two-hit and even three-hit spells.

He's still no match for H'aanit, even if it takes awhile.

After we knock him out, the game immediately switches to cutscene mode, with the fellow completely gone for whatever reason.

The culprit truly was a follower of Mattias, that madman who called himself the Savior.

I worked at Mattias's side, leading such people down a path of darkness...

...That is true. I can understand why your heart and your conscience pain you so.

They have turned their eyes to the future. They smile and they laugh and they live every day as a new day.

Allowing yourself to drown in guilt is not atonement. Both you and the people of this village have suffered the same wounds. Yet they have remembered how to smile again. I do so wish that you would as well, Lianna.
Eliza...

Now that we've unearthed the villains who were hindering our efforts, we can look into those ruins at last.

And so we get ourselves a second Bishop's Staff, which should be handy to have.

Now Eliza and I can finally begin our investigation...and start moving forward. The people of the village have not been defeated by their past. They are living each day to the fullest. I'll do the same. I'll keep on smiling.

There may still be more of them out there than we even realize. We mustn't let our guard down yet.

With that twerp out of the way, Lianna and Eliza are now better equipped to learn more about the cult Mattias led and perhaps end it once and for all. And hopefully now Lianna has the strength to move on and try to find happiness once again.

Next time, we'll take another trip around the world as we revisit the towns from the mid-game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Think I'm looking at 18 more updates at this rate until the LP is done, for those curious.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Should run less than a year then!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
For anyone who doesn't know, Eliza is probably one of the best Guide/Allure NPCs you can get. "Hearty Encouragement" is Physical/Elemental Attack/Defense Up for three turns.

On the entire team.

Lianna, sadly, is not quite as spectacular, but I dragged her along anyway.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't think I ever used Guide or Allure for battle purposes. Does Boost affect the summoned character?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nah, summoning someone can’t be boosted.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Today we'll be revisiting the second tier of towns, the ones we visited during Chapters 2 and 3. Once again, we'll start in the Frostlands and go clockwise, which means we'll start in Stillsnow.

That said, all there is of interest is the Forbidden Dagger. You have a 0% chance of stealing the Forbidden gear, so I'm stuck buying them. This entire update is watching my massive bank account go down the drain as I stock up on gear.

Weirdly, there are three Forbidden Daggers in the game, two of which are in side dungeons. It has the third-highest PhysAtk of any dagger and mediocre ElemAtk. The Fire/Dark hit is easy to plan around, but even then it's not really worth using over the Battle-tested Dagger or the three Viper Daggers you can obtain. If it had another bonus stat, maybe, but every character should have an ElemAtk weapon of choice at this point, so the dagger's mediocre stat makes it pointless, especially since it lowers effectiveness of two elements.

Anyway, on to Noblecourt.

Here's yet another of the tournament participants from Olberic's Chapter 2.

The Master's Spear has the second-highest PhysAtk of any polearm and a near-identical Crit bonus to the first-highest polearm, the Battle-tested Spear. It's a fantastic second choice for your physical attackers and a worthwhile grab.

This is Revello's son, and the mysterious man that Primrose's tale ended on. The game's clearly trying to set him up with Primrose, though of course since our characters' tales have all been resolved there's gonna be no resolution to this in this game.

Also I'm guessing he meant "ordeal". Can't catch every typo!

The Crystal Vest isn't flashy (well, I guess it kinda is since it's a crystal vest and all), but it has really solid stats and is the best armor if you want balance. And even if you don't, it has the fourth-highest PhysDef (with the top three all lacking ElemDef completely) and the third-highest ElemDef. Really good general-purpose armor piece.

I can't believe it's been ten years since Geoffrey died...

We'll meet Revello again in a future side story.

We're done here. On to Goldshore!

The Dragon's Vest is just a step down from the Crystal Vest. Its advantage is being available early, but it'll probably not make it into your final party. But since we'll have to use all eight characters and there's only two Crystal Vests, I'm sure I'll have someone wearing this.

Ellen and Flynn are back at it, gathering seashells for cash. Gotta admire their hustle.

Ellen's Inquire text is unchanged from Alfyn's Chapter 2.

Solid PhysAtk and Crit, though the side effect can be annoying. That said, that "downside" is irrelevant for boss battles, and in fact if you grind for the final boss the increased encounters ends up being handy. One of the better Forbidden weapons, just don't use it for randoms.

Also here we learn the insidious truth about Goldshore's massive seashell market.

Can seashells truly buy happiness?

Obviously!

A great man, he was. Set out across the sea and discovered a new continent. Just before he left, he declared...

I want to hear this guy's story. Maybe we'll hear it in the prequel game...

Only a 15% chance to steal these still. Eesh.

Honestly, I didn't really need to buy a second Wizard's Rod. I don't know why I chose to do so.

We have learned too much. Now we must make our escape before we pay the price. For now, let's lay low in Stonegard.

The only other Forbidden weapon with multiple copies. Third-best PhysAtk of any sword, a nice speed bonus, but it has a chance to buff the enemy's PhysAtk upon hit. Risk-reward, though it's more risk this late in the game.

Archibold didn't take his loss in the arena too badly, as he's already back to training to regain his title.

This is a weird weapon that attacks twice and has a ridiculously high Accuracy stat (the highest stat boost of any tertiary stat besides MaxHP), though the PhysAtk is low. A nice gimmick weapon if you can find a way to work with it. Might be good for breaking axe weaknesses, I guess? No clue how boosting affects the number of hits, nor whether it'd proc runes twice (I doubt it though).

There's still characters Olberic can't beat up. I may revisit this jerk with H'aanit later, or after I level Olberic up a bit, but for now this is my one piece of unfinished business.

How is mediocre equipment still this hard to steal?

Not much else to talk about here. Now that we're halfway done, let's dive into Wellspring.

Erhardt is just chilling with the rest of the guard. This is where he calls home now, after all.

Tied for highest PhysAtk in the game, a huge Crit boost, and buffs physical abilities. It seems to be different than a simple PhysAtk buff since I don't see the buff when I use this blade with Olberic, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Not that it matters, its huge PhysAtk and Crit make it worth using alone.

I do not mean it to be so, but the greatest burden of the work always seems to fall upon him. I know it cannot continue on in this way... I know it, and yet it's so hard to change things.

Also I apparently missed this NPC earlier.

Which is a shame, as his Purchase text is great.

The Forbidden Axe has a massive PhysAtk value and a decent speed boost, but its drawback is an Accuracy penalty. Lower accuracy is a big deal, but it's also a relatively small loss. It may be a factor depending on circumstances, but this one still seems to be very much worth using.

Onward to Saintsbridge.

His father was murdered, he nearly died of poisoning, he got kidnapped and injured...this kid has had a rough life already, but despite all that has a really positive attitude. Hopefully that'll carry him far.

Debuffs Crit and PhysAtk. Honestly those are irrelevant for most staff users, but the problem is that the ElemAtk is low besides that, and there's no extra bonus like an elemental buff. Even in Chapter 2 or so it's competing with the Wizard's Rod and a few other ElemAtk-focused weapons. Meh.

Bishop Bartolo's up for chatting.

The Battle-tested Staff has the highest ElemAtk in the game, and boosts a solid PhysAtk stat too (second-highest of all staves, as much as that matters) and a slow debuff. It's hard to go wrong with the Battle-tested gear!

Two locations left! Let's stop by Quarrycrest.

I finally got around to equipping Unsurpassed Power on Olberic so I can end these duels quickly. This is one of the few door-blocking NPCs I hadn't beaten up yet, at least until now.

Turns out he's guarding this old loud woman.

The Speed hit is pretty nasty, but this is also the only weapon where both attacks are above 300. If you have a character who needs strength in both, the Forbidden Spear is solid in that regard, and even beyond that it's the third-highest PhysAtk of any polearm. It's worth taking the speed hit, I'd wager.

The blazestone is keepin' the egg warm, and she and the egg are as hale as can be. The wisest dragons oft leave their young in the care of humans. That dragon chose Kaia for a reason, you can be sure of that.

Finally, we get a bit of closure on Kaia's quest. I'm sure there's a bright future ahead with her and her dragon. Probably. Hopefully.

...To Victor's Hollow!

Somehow you can't Purchase or Steal from this merchant.

Highest ElemDef of any body armor. MaxSP is a good bonus as well. I love it.

Cecily's still looking to expand her own business. You know, we do know an expert hunter with an affinity for taming beasts...

The game constantly says Ned's in pretty poor shape due to his various wounds.

But even with all that, he's still on par with everyone that entered the tournament besides Olberic and maybe Gustav. When Ned heals, he may very well be able to win the whole thing himself.

Finally, in addition to the second Crystal Vest, he holds the Battle-tested Axe. This is the only of these weapons to not be the strongest in its respective stat, but instead opts for flexibility, giving great PhysAtk and decent ElemAtk, but also boosting two elements on top of that. It's a solid enough option, though not as flashy as the raw stats of its brethren.

And that's it for our second town recap! Next time, we'll be diving back into side stories involving familiar faces!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

If nothing else, that Double Tomahawk is useful for a particular fight in the future; I’ll have to remember to link the video I’m thinking of when it comes up.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
The Double Tomahawk does two attacks per point of boost on the Attack command. It's still only one Rune, but a full boost is eight axe hits and that's obviously useful.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the best weapons in the game not being legendary magical artifacts, but instead just well made weapons is something i like.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Music: Oasis in the Sparkling Sands

So many familiar faces to catch up with. Here's another for today!

Gods' teeth, man... Would you insist that I don't even greet a former comrade? There is still such a thing as common decency!
I'm very sorry, but the captain is a frightfully busy man.

I mean, he's the captain, why doesn't he just tell his subordinate to shut up?

Time is meaningless to us however, so we wait for the captain's shift of "sitting at the desk doing nothing" to end so we can start this side story proper.

I've not heard any word from him of late, though... At first I was not concerned, but he has always been regular in his correspondence. Until now...

Simple enough task. We just need to make sure Donovan's fine.

And he is!

It's gotten to the point that I don't even have time for personal correspondence. Even penning a letter takes more time than I have at my disposal. But I do wish I could at least let my friend know that I am well, if far too busy...

Yes, we're basically a walking telephone for two men too busy to write letters.

Well, let's share the news with Bale.

Music: Enveloped in Kindness

I did not realize that a bishop's work could leave him so busy. But then Donovan was always a single-minded man.

I was a mercenary in those days, wandering various lands in search of work. I met Donovan only a short time after he met his wife.

And I was captured by the Knights Ardante, who had mistaken me for the villain responsible. I was nothing but a wandering vagrant. I had no one to vouch for me, no way to prove my innocence. I thought I would be hanged till dead.

It was only thanks to their firm belief that the true criminal was found at last.

I certainly never would have imagined then that I might one day be standing here in such a position of authority. I may miss the freedom at times, but I do feel that the work I am doing now is worth doing. But still...that does not mean that I never look back to the past and long for those days.

So some insight into Bale's past, which is perhaps why he was so welcoming of a lost and disillusioned Erhardt when he wandered into Wellspring. That or his uncanny skill with a blade in a town regularly accosted by lizardmen.

The Captain's Badge is an accessory that boost EXPs gain. I'll need to do some light grinding before the final boss, so this will be handy for that!

I would like to meet my old friends and perhaps raise a glass together. Then I will return to this town and continue to do the work that needs to be done here.

Indeed it is. Bale's still fond of his old friends and adventures, but he has a good life in Wellspring, so might as well stick with it.

We continue with the familiar faces next time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Another side story where we have two key characters from two different stories interacting with each other. Let's jump in!

SILENCE

I must. For Geoffrey's sake.

Did you think I would simply vanish? I may be old, but I am no ghost yet.
Older, but none the wiser. It seems like you still haven't learned how to take a joke.
I did not come all this way for jokes, Odette. I trust you understand that.
But of course. I just can't believe it's that time again. Time sure flies.

He took great care of you in your youth when you had no one else.
I know that better than anyone. It's thanks to you both that I'm where I am today. Not a day goes by that I don't remember that.

I'm certain Geoffrey would like to see your face from time to time.

No matter how many times you come here, my answer will never change. I have research to do.
...I see.

Your stubbornness never ceases to amaze me... Very well. I shall take my leave.

So there we go. Odette refuses to visit Geoffrey's grave, but why?

Naturally, only a skilled observer of people like Cyrus can discern why this is so.

...though it takes a few attempts to do so.

It seems we have our answer. Granted, we don't know the answer, but we have the answer.

Let's head back to Noblecourt and tell Revello what we (don't) know.

I cannot fathom why...

Now for the truth.

-----

He was always saying, "faith shall be your shield."

"If I die, do not come to my grave. Do not waste your time on the dead. Simply do what you must while you are alive."

But looking back at it, I think he had already realized what would happen to him.

And after ten years, I'm finally enjoying the fruits of my labor.

It looks like I can finally take a small break from work.

So yeah, it's nothing really that shocking. Geoffrey simply wanted Odette to pour all her focus on her research so she didn't waste time worrying about his death. It may also have been part to protect her from the group that killed him.

SILENCE

I see she had her reasons.

That certainly seems like something Geoffrey would say. Haha. Perhaps I shall ask him of the truth myself...

My apologies, Revello. But better late than never, am I right? I finally found some time to step away from my books and see Geoffrey.
I'm sure it has kept you very busy.

-----

I remember coming to your rescue often back in those days.
If he were still here, I'm sure he would have something to say about this.

I'm certain Geoffrey is smiling, having seen you once more.
Do you think so?

If nothing else, it's a good excuse to revisit fond memories and pay respects to someone that really helped you become who you are today. I think Geoffrey wouldn't mind Odette visiting after all this time.

Though Revello is probably a little too obsessed with everyone visiting Geoffrey's grave.

This helm's alright if you want to prioritize PhysDef without sacrificing ElemDef, and Dark's not a bad element to resist, but I still feel underwhelmed by it. It'll probably go on someone for the final battle though.

I'm certain of it.

Once in ten years works just fine for me.

At any rate, Odette is glad she got to revisit someone who helped her achieve her dreams, and Revello is glad he met his weekly quota of people that visit Geoffrey's grave. It's good to make people glad.

Next time, we dive into full-on buffoonery.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Y’know, there’s been a lot of times that the way Octopath ignores the party in side quests has been weird, but I think it’s peaked. Just, wow.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I never expected Primrose's switch to Cleric leading her to take a Vow of Silence. Interesting direction for her character to go in.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It’s worth it for the bonus to her WIS modifier.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Finally up to current!

I agree that this one is particularly odd since it's so close to Primrose. Also weird that Primrose/Odette wouldn't have interacted before this given how close Odette was with Geoffrey.

Looking back at the thread, I'm kinda surprised that there wasn't more than light flirting in the banters given what everyone was saying about the CATPHOTOs being so horny all the time. Just didn't come through in my reading of the banters. The only pair that really seemed blatantly interested in eachother is H'aanit and Ophelia.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's all more one-sided horniness. H'aanit is horny for Ophilia, Ophilia is horny for Therion, Olberic is kinda horny for Primrose, Alfyn is horny for Ophilia and Primrose, Primrose is horny for Cyrus, and Cyrus is horny for knowledge.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Therion is horny for solitude

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Tressa is horny for money.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So Barham and Orlick from Therion's Chapter 2 are back and apparently getting along again, so that's nice.

Also I probably should've had Tressa as the lead for this one instead of Therion, but eh, I'm too lazy to redo it so we're rolling with this.

We be here on official business. Got a delivery for you from the cap'n.

Took you long enough, didn't it?
Ain't no controlling the tides, now is there?

Research is a battlefield. And in it, we scholars are constantly fighting to conquer more territory. I requested the materials that I need for my research from you, to aid me in this war. But it seems you fail to realize the urgency of the matter.

What!? Yer yankin' me chain, ain't ye, matey!?
If it had only been a matter of punctuality, that would have been one thing...

...Ye got a problem with the cap'n now?
Indeed. That brute Leon... We know all about him.

Quit yer filthy lies!
And if you dare deny him, he runs you right through with his great poleaxe! To think we were doing business with such a villain...

Everyone's heard the news by now. How Captain Leon gave up on merchantry and returned to his old pirating ways.
The cap'n would never!
That's right! He told us he'd changed his ways!
Make all the excuses you want! It doesn't change the fact that we won't be asking your company for so much as another pebble!
We don't have to take that kin'a abuse from the likes of you!

What was that!?

Our pebbles're too good for ye anyway!

...Well, that got out of hand quickly.

Let's talk to all involved parties and see if we can get to the root of this big misunderstanding.

This is why I never trust others...

Orlick does have another Sorcerer's Robe, which I truly appreciate.

Unless my eyes were deceiving me, that man was surely the infamous Captain Leon.

Barham is convinced he saw Leon committing acts of piracy, but that doesn't seem like the Leon we know...

The cap'n would never do a thing like that... Grrr! Just wonderin' about it won't get us nowhere!

Here we come outta our way to bring 'em the things they wanted, and that's how they treat us! We don't need the custom of crud buckets like that!

And you better believe Mikk and Makk would know their own cap'n better than anyone! So if they don't think Leon is capable of such things, then who could it be...?

Fortunately, Captain Leon happens to be right in Noblecourt, so who better to clear all this up than the source?

I'm the great pirate, Leon Bastralle! Bahahaha!

...Um.

Leon certainly looks...less impressive than the last time we've seen him.

Somehow he doesn't fight in the manner that a fearsome pirate captain would.

SILENCE

Yes, that's him all right. The filthy thief!
C-Cap'n...? Say it ain't so...
B-but we all swore... We all swore we'd gone over to the straight an' narrow...

What do you mean by that!?
He does look an awful lot like the cap'n, I give ye that... But ye can't fool us that easy!

What...do you mean? I am the one, the only... The pirate captain Leon Bastralle...
Ye don't know, do ye? Cap'n Leon's piratin' days are over!
If yer gonna impersonate someone, at least do yer drat research!

You know, it's funny watching Mikk and Makk chastise someone for following Leon's footsteps while being ignorant of his new calling, when the same exact thing happened with them...

Got that right! It makes me blood boil, seein' someone sullyin' the cap'n's good name like that!

Yes, quite thoroughly...

That's right. It's that sorry sea snake who's to blame here!

Fortunately, Barham's wise enough to swallow his pride when he's wrong, and Mikk and Makk are laid back enough to let it all slide. Looks like business is back on!

Yeah, ye were a true aid to us. Trusty as the north star!

The defenses are nothing special, but this is one of three shields that actually increases Evasion, and it's a massive one at that! If you're eyeing an evasion build, you definitely want this shield.

I only started acting and dressing like Captain Leon because he was my hero... I don't know where I went wrong...

It seems the wannabe pirate has learned his lesson through the educational act of violence, so all is well. Probably. Let's just assume it is.

Mikk and Makk are happy, of course.

You're curious about my studies? I'm afraid they're not for the likes of you...

I should be able to make some good progress. After all, I know just who I can count on to get me all the materials I should ever need to order in.

Orlick and Barham are also happy, even if they don't really show it. They are stuffy scholars, after all!

We're not quite done yet, though. After doing this side story, the real Leon Bastralle now shows up in Rippletide.

He's pretty much the same as he's always been.

But he has the Battle-tested Spear, which of course has the highest PhysAtk of any polearm and a hefty Crit stat as well as a chance to inflict Blind. Yet another fantastic grab.

Next time, we keep on doing what we've been doing.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I honestly can't get over the water effects. This game is gorgeous

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Music: Victors Hollow, Jewel of the Forest

Once again, revisiting another familiar face, this time from H'aanit's Chapter 3.

A-Alaic... Please forgive me!

I was supposed to deliver them to Susanna, too...

So I'm assuming we're gonna have to help out with this little bandit problem.

Susanna gets ill from time to time, and those were the ingredients for her medicine. I need to get them back right away.

Alaic's pretty protective of Susanna, so he's interested in getting these ingredients back.

I wanted to fight back, but I didn't stand a chance against all those bandits...

Susanna really gets around as far as helping random people.

Music: The Trees Have Eyes

I don't know where, if anywhere, the game tells you this, but the bandit leader in question is hiding in the Forest of No Return, the optional dungeon right outside of town.

What's this now?

Well, he's called a bandit leader, but it's arguable whether he's really a leader of bandits. I guess he's a leader of the sole bandit of himself?

He has another Viper Dagger, which is handy. Of course, I don't actually buy it.

That said, we can't Challenge/Provoke the bandit. This is a bit unconventional, but...

First we need to bring Alaic along with us.

Next I enjoy the lawless nature of the great outdoors and spam Steal until the 8% chance lands.

The actual way to resolve this side story occurs when talking to the bandit leader with Alaic in tow.

Let me guess, yer with that merchant from earlier. Well, you've got perfect timin', friend! I was just lookin' for someone with somethin' good to steal.

Music: Battle II

We have a regular old full-party battle with this one bandit leader.

He's not very threatening.

So I use it as an excuse to play with a couple things I never bothered with before. The first, Nightmare Chimera. This is what it did with one of the weakest weapons I had, unboosted, which...really doesn't tell me much. Neat to try it out, I guess.

I also try out Olberic's talent, which is boosting his Defend command. This lets him take physical attacks in place of other characters, great if he has Sidestep stacks.

I even let Alaic join in the fun!

Olberic blocks an attack thanks to boosted Defend, and he happens to kill the bandit leader with a counter.

Can I tell you something?

She was targeted by an organization known as the Obsidians.

My entire existence revolved around the deaths of others. I never once felt guilty for taking a life. I was a heartless killer, and good at it too.

Only death awaits an assassin who fails to eliminate his target. So, as were my orders, I drank the vial of poison in my pocket.

When I could find the words, I asked her...

Do you know what she said?

It was then I realized that she was right. I was nothing but a child. No, I wasn't even human. I was just a failure. I was nothing. I finally understood that then. And Susanna helped me see it.

I'm not yet done repaying that debt. I want to see her live a long and healthy life.

So yeah, Susanna was indeed a famous scholar (and the author of a work that was a great inspiration to Cyrus!), and ended up targeted by that one organization that's had some shady dealings in quote a few of our characters' own stories. Alaic may have failed his assassination and subsequent suicide attempt, but the mercy of Susanna led him to discover and live a new life, which is why he's so protective of Susanna.

But again, none of that matters because our real prize is this bow with a hefty ElemAtk stat and a boost to wind damage. This stacks with the wind boost from the Tradewinds Spear, and it so happens both weapons are equippable by a Merchant, who has wind magic. Or rather, you can give both to Runelord Tressa, throw on a Wind Rune, and watch her rip things apart.

This is a fantastic find and I look very forward to watching Tressa pair this with the Tradewinds Spear.

I pity any bandit who tries to take from me now! Haha!

Our merchant friend at least feels a bit better now that he can better defend himself. Alaic of course has gone back to Stillsnow.

Music: Town Veiled in White

And now Susanna shows up there as well.

I'm sure you can find a better way to spend your time than worrying over an old woman like me. I don't know why you're even here in the first place...

I'm sure she knows exactly why he's there.

Nothing exciting to buy, but still some fun text.

Next time, another two-parter consolidated to one update.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Can't imagine why anyone regards her as a soothsayer. I can totally understand her chagrin!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You know the drill, though this time we've got another two-parter! This is the last of 'em, though.

SILENCE

I have my freedom now. No longer am I bound to sell my body to pay my way in the world. But no matter who I ask, I've found no decent work...

And this place is colder than any other... I'm sick of it...

Everywhere I went, all I found were cold hearts and miserable work...

Arianna's having trouble finding a new job after we murdered her boss. It'll be nice if we helped her out here, especially after how she helped out Primrose before.

The question is, do we know of a caring master who has a job available?

Once again, we do, but I don't know where in the game it tells you this, if anywhere! Our goal here is Stonegard.

Music: Among Stately Peaks

Natalia was in H'aanit's Chapter 2, you may remember, and it just so happens she has problems of her own...

If only I could find a lady's maid who I could trust... I would hire such a loyal woman in a heartbeat!

Hmmm... I think we may know the person for her.

Let's bring the two together and hope they're agreeable to each other.

There must be such loyal creatures somewhere in this world. Good and true servants who only wish to work under the roof of a good mistress.

...Pardon?
You may call me Arianna, if it pleases you, my lady. And I would gladly serve you till my last day, if you would but let me.
Oh! What a lovely way ye have with words! That calm grace, that poise, and those manners... Yes, I think we could get on very well. Would ye truly like to work as my lady's maid?
I swear that nothing could please me more in this world, my lady.

Now there's only one more thing I need...

Do ye happen to know any coachman seekin' new employment?

Oh! That does sound promisin'! It's as though the stars've aligned for me!
Only...I am afraid that his manners can be a bit curt. I cannot say for sure what you might think of him, if he should even be willing to come here to work.

At any rate, Arianna has an honest job with a caring master, and Natalia has a trusted maid to keep her company, so this turned out a success.

That said, we're not quite done yet. We've already helped one job seeker out, why not another?

Oren now shows up in Stillsnow, and it just so happens he's also looking for new employment...

Surely folks must need a good coachman. But I can't find no work since my last job dried up...

Well, if it worked once before...

Let's see if we've found our new calling as headhunters!

How glad I am that fate has brought us together. Would ye care to come work in my household? My name is Natalia, and I promise ye I do well by my servants.

I know you're trustworthy. We're going to have such a better life here.
...Hrmm. Could be. I've gotta admit...this place does seem pretty lush. Clean air. Nice folks. And...

I know just what you mean, Oren. It is indeed warm here. In so many ways. I've spent so many years, struggling to find work and barely keeping afloat... Now at last I feel like I've found a place where I can settle down and truly live.

I should quite like to go into town for a bit of shoppin'. Arianna, would ye accompany me?

It seems even Oren is starting to warm up to this place. Everyone seems happy, and all the better for it.

Our reward is a dagger that seems tailor-made for Primrose. Unfortunately, it's dwarfed in stats by Heathcote's Dagger, which boosts fire instead, except there's a sword that also boosts fire damage, while this is the only weapon that boosts Dark damage. Since you'll likely want Primrose in a casting job anyway, this ends up not really worth using since there are a variety of better weapons and options available.

Oren's proud to have a job once again.

I never feel lonely anymore, with my loyal Arianna and steady Oren.

Natalia is happy to not be lonely anymore, with loyal servants that are always there for her.

I think I've finally found my place in the world.

And Natalia finally has a stable job and a place to call home. Happy endings for everyone.

Next time, kid problems.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

On the one hand, it's nice that they took the time to flesh out the world like this. On the other, they did that instead of putting together much of a plot. Oh well.

This page is getting pretty image-heavy. Shall we see if we can get to a new page before the next update?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Probably a good idea, so let me ask this.

Which non-playable character did you all like the most?

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Mega64 posted:

Probably a good idea, so let me ask this.

Which non-playable character did you all like the most?

How could it not be the magnificent Marlene?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Heathcote, pretty much. Though old butler badass is something I like in principle.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I dunno, it makes me feel like some of the Dragon Quest games, that are more like, short stories strung together as your characters wander around, and only until the very end does the villain finally reveal himself and you go to defeat him. I think there's a charm to that, honestly, and while I'm not sure I always prefer it, I am enjoying just having a world that I can explore at my pace and have fun with rather than have some life changing, destiny defying, prophesy plot all the time.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

JamMasterJim posted:

Heathcote, pretty much. Though old butler badass is something I like in principle.

Seconded. Heathcote is just too cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I think Heathcote is my favorite of the NPCs who aren't villains, but picking a favorite villain seems a bit harder.