Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's just planned obsolescence. It's precision engineered to last 800-1000 revolutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tools! - A saw that saws itself

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Sgt Fox posted:

Did they update it or something? Last I heard the saw guides would let the blade cut into the saw itself...

I've heard that too, but I think it was a problem with the older one, not the newer Bauer brand that came out in the last 3-4 years. We've got two at work that have been reliable.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sgt Fox posted:

Did they update it or something? Last I heard the saw guides would let the blade cut into the saw itself...

lol those stupid fuckers let the same thing happen on the belt sander, it has no protection to stop the belt just eating into the body on one side

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
A good jigsaw will do a pretty decent job cutting metal too. I use my Dewalt one all the time on mild steel and aluminum. I put the regular Bosch metal cutting blades in there and use WD-40 as a quick lubricant. I've gone up to 1/4" on mild steel. Wear earplugs though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Quickjacks are back on sale at Home Depot. My store matches the current Menards 11% rebate, so I’m thinking about ordering the 7000 at customer service and hoping for a $100 giftcard back.

It’s technically for “in stock, in store purchases,” but I got the 11% on delivered appliances before.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Was in my costco in :canada: today and they have the 7000SLX quickjack on sale. First time I've seen that one. $1400 :canada:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of Quickjacks- I'm still very happy with my Quickjack. I've been doing brakework, cam belt, suspension, etc and can't imagine how annoying it would have been without the Quickjack.

Best thing is that I can work outside on gravel with some thick plywood under the Quickjacks and it's stable. I put some plastic sheets between the car and the jacks to protect the plywood from rain which has worked great.

In conclusion - get one.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

How heavy is each side of a QuickJack? the 5000lb-rated one says it's 238lbs. So each side is half that minus the power unit? That seems like it'd be difficult to move around.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Is it annoying not having side access? I keep wanting to get them but I'd hate to have to come in from behind the car when I'm getting underneath for trans/motor/subframe/etc work when there's a jack supporting the motor or something.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Fifty Three posted:

How heavy is each side of a QuickJack? the 5000lb-rated one says it's 238lbs. So each side is half that minus the power unit? That seems like it'd be difficult to move around.
That sounds about right, maybe a bit heavy but not grotesquely off. I'd guess 80-90lbs per side. I sort of touched on that in my earlier talk about the pros/cons. They are certainly moveable and have wheels on the bottom for ease of it, but they are not something your 10 year old son is going to be bringing out for you. I just leave them more or less in place on the one side of my garage and park the 911 over top of them when not in use.

Hypnolobster posted:

Is it annoying not having side access? I keep wanting to get them but I'd hate to have to come in from behind the car when I'm getting underneath for trans/motor/subframe/etc work when there's a jack supporting the motor or something.
I've never had an issue at all. I can't say it never wouldn't be, but I haven't done anything where it's a bother yet.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So it's time for a new roller cabinet. Probably gonna spend about a grand. Should I just get the big US general, used craigslist box, or follow the snap-on guy around till something falls off his truck?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Yerok posted:

So it's time for a new roller cabinet. Probably gonna spend about a grand. Should I just get the big US general, used craigslist box, or follow the snap-on guy around till something falls off his truck?

I’ve got the HF Series2 44” top, bottom and side locker. I like them a lot, but when I bought earlier this year, I think I paid $329 with coupon for the bottom.

Now it’s listed for $489 and HFQPDB doesn’t show a new coupon since March.

The HF reddit blames tariffs and steel prices. Maybe cross your fingers for better international relations?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Depending what you are looking for, SnapOn industrial brands sometimes has some great sales on chests and they are exactly the same as snap-on units, might just have the Williams name on them (they make Snap-ons branded chests).

Usually new sales every qtr and you'll have to find an industrial distributor but you might be able to find their promo deal online.

https://snaponindustrialbrands.com/cat-19-1-32-0/tool-storage.htm

e: Costco sometimes has some shockingly nice chests. At least up here in :canada: they do from time to time.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Fifty Three posted:

It's manageable, but I've also been ill just around the time of buying them and was pretty weak at the time. Now that my strength is coming back I'm finding it less heavy to carry. The worst thing about carrying them is that you can't really get a real good grip. I have mine on plywood, so it's a bit easier to move them into position when on the ground (and the finish gets scratched easily by the concrete floor).

Hypnolobster posted:

I've never needed side access from behind the front wheel. Depending on the length of you car there will me more/less room as well. I did have a big rear end jack supporting my engine while doing mounts/cam belt (need to remove mount) and had plenty of room.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've been using a Harbor Freight tool set for a while and the screwdrivers are pretty much done on them. I know some of them come with a warranty but I'd like to buy something a little nicer but not toooooo expensive since I am somewhat on a budget.

Is Craftsman still an okay buy? I know they're not Made In Amurrrrica anymore so I'm not sure how good the new stuff is. This thread seems to be big on Wera stuff as well. Otherwise I know Home Depot/Lowes have their in house brands but I'm sure how much of a step up from HF they would be.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Just get the Weras. They aren’t crazy expensive, and they’re really good.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Frank Dillinger posted:

Just get the Weras. They aren’t crazy expensive, and they’re really good.

Seconded. Some tools are just "buy once, cry once", and having bought the Weras after using Craftsman and worse for years, I'd definitely put screwdrivers into that category. If you're only going to get one set, keep the HF drivers for rough work and get the lasertips.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I put up a couple of light fixtures and the Weras are able to hold brass screws that are a little stripped while I put them in overhead. Like load onto screwdriver tip with one hand while holding the fixture and raise it up then tilt it horizontal into the hole without losing it. And by stripped I mean this was the display fixture and this was at least the third time it's been put up and the first two didn't go so well.

There's no cheaper option.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea if you can go up in budget, Wera is the best option for the money at any price range.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Start with the green Weras, IMO, then splurge on the yellow/black ones to beat on.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

eddiewalker posted:

Start with the green Weras, IMO, then splurge on the yellow/black ones to beat on.

Seconded... just bought them. Green handled are amazing. I also got the green wera micro screwdrivers, but I don’t think they’re laser tips like the larger set

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I sent my M12 Fuel hammer drill in to get repaired under warranty a few weeks ago. Something had burned out so it wouldn't go forward and would only go in reverse. So today I received a brand new hammer drill that is also the latest version, pretty happy about it. Now to find stuff to test it out on.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I bought that small shop vac with the wall bracket, and decided to do something different with it-

Y'all will probably say that's dumb, should have just gotten one on wheels, but I really didn't want something else to add clutter on the floor, that's why I wanted the wall hanger to start with. I always have my shop cart when working on something, and a lot of the time I want a vacuum (clean crap that was under engine cover, etc). If it doesn't work out, it was only 10 minutes wasted but I think it's pretty sweet.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

F the haters, round shopvacs on wheels are terrible, that setup looks awesome.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There is nothing wrong with that setup man. Good idea.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
:agreed: That's a really good idea.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
I really like that.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I’m very likely going to steal your awesome idea and not credit you for it so I don’t have to explain this Internet forum to my coworkers.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
That idea really sucks.

:laugh:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I had one of the giant round shop vacs and it was usually in my way when I wasn't using it and it was always in my way when I was using it. Mounting one to something else that's movable is brilliant.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

mod sassinator posted:

That idea really sucks.

:laugh:

You suck making that bad dad joke before I could make it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I love that idea as well. My shopvac is now part of a dust collection system, but I put that on wheels too.
Mine is more used for woodworking than anything else.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Frank Dillinger posted:

I’m very likely going to steal your awesome idea and not credit you for it so I don’t have to explain this Internet forum to my coworkers.

:same:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lol yeah imagine explaining that av

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I love that idea as well. My shopvac is now part of a dust collection system, but I put that on wheels too.
Mine is more used for woodworking than anything else.

Just tell them you’re part of a group of wera-hot air balloon enthusiasts.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

angryrobots posted:

I bought that small shop vac with the wall bracket, and decided to do something different with it-

Y'all will probably say that's dumb, should have just gotten one on wheels, but I really didn't want something else to add clutter on the floor, that's why I wanted the wall hanger to start with. I always have my shop cart when working on something, and a lot of the time I want a vacuum (clean crap that was under engine cover, etc). If it doesn't work out, it was only 10 minutes wasted but I think it's pretty sweet.

That is a great idea.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Does anyone have experience with industrial label makers like Dymo?

I’ve only ever used cheap P-Touch stuff, but it just came to my attention that knockoff Dymo printable heatshrink label cassettes aren’t that expensive.

I can’t really figure out the difference between the 5200 and the 4000 other than “heat transfer” versus “pressure transfer” and I don’t know if that matters at home. The 6000 is definitely overkill for me.

I also don’t know what vinyl and nylon label tape are. Is vinyl like printable electrical tape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I jokingly put a p-touch label on my differential cover with no prep about ten years ago and it's still attached and legible. What are you intending to do with these labels that you need to greatly exceed that performance?