Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

For context, Hanif Bali, right-wing politician of Iranian heritage and alt-light twitter phenomenon, has spent years building up a fan base of edgelords by making quasi-racist bullshit posts and generally being an rear end in a top hat online. His party (the Moderates, historically the Big Right Wing Party in Swedish politics) has turned a blind eye since he has a vocal fanclub and riles up the left.
He has now decided to very publicly have a no hold barred go at Carl Bildt (old right-wing political icon and the only person ever to be Assigned Cop At Birth) for his subservient attitude towards the Iranian regime. This is essentially biting the hand that feeds him, and the party has immediately
1. called him in for a stern talking to and
2. started talking about having party reps stay off twitter (they, there's always Gab, right?)

I wonder if Bali falls back in line or if he really is looking to start a fight with the old guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Bali is going to do whatever it takes to get in the moneypower. He's a populist who cares naught for others.

My guess is he will fall in line for the time being and try to get attention some other way, and bide his time until he can take revenge on the olds. A dangerous man.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 21, 2019

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
yes yes thats all well and good but gently caress carl bildt

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Beeswax posted:

For context, Hanif Bali, right-wing politician of Iranian heritage and alt-light twitter phenomenon, has spent years building up a fan base of edgelords by making quasi-racist bullshit posts and generally being an rear end in a top hat online. His party (the Moderates, historically the Big Right Wing Party in Swedish politics) has turned a blind eye since he has a vocal fanclub and riles up the left.
He has now decided to very publicly have a no hold barred go at Carl Bildt (old right-wing political icon and the only person ever to be Assigned Cop At Birth) for his subservient attitude towards the Iranian regime. This is essentially biting the hand that feeds him, and the party has immediately
1. called him in for a stern talking to and
2. started talking about having party reps stay off twitter (they, there's always Gab, right?)

I wonder if Bali falls back in line or if he really is looking to start a fight with the old guard.

Tldr:

https://twitter.com/rymdadel/status/1164223420785188864

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

yes yes thats all well and good but gently caress carl bildt

Well, Bali wasn’t wrong about Bildt though.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Cardiac posted:

Well, Bali wasn’t wrong about Bildt though.

Broken clock etc. gently caress both of them forever.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Är det så konstigt att en iranier som bor här är uttalad om sin politiska åsikt och kritisk mot regimen?
Ja han tjänar ju uppenbarligen på att jävlas med bildt .. men han förtjänar kritik

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The problem here as far as M views it is not that he made an anti-iran statement, they could give less of a gently caress. The problem is that when you come at the king, you best not miss. Ulf is only leader because Bildt didn't want it. If he'd challenge him, he'd be out.

I think some of you would be surprised if you'd ever encounter how culty some of the upper echelon of the moderates in Stockholm are. Bali is part of a faction (spearheaded by Wykman) which are not part of that power circle.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 21, 2019

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

i can appreciate trying to clean out the old guard, although it is stupid of him to do it so openly

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Reminder that Bali came to Sweden as a refugee child with his parents either being dead or drones for literal proscribed pseudo-marxist terror cult Mojahedin-e-Khalq

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/caseytolan/status/1164352917056323584

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Greenland is 88% inuit and votes overwhelmingly left. Make them a state.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Eschenique posted:

Greenland is 88% inuit and votes overwhelmingly left. Make them a state.

have you taken into account the fact that the Greenlanders don't want to be a US state

besides, would 55k people even make a difference in any US vote?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Winklebottom posted:

have you taken into account the fact that the Greenlanders don't want to be a US state

senate

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Winklebottom posted:

No, because they’d likely go into weird protectorate limbo and have no actual say. Wyoming has 570k approx and has like 3 EC votes.

They’d never get statehood, because they’re too “”””””ethnic””””””, and the whole “colonialism speedrun” of this hairbrained media stunt/expression of severely deteriorating mental illness.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Winklebottom posted:

It'd have put Gore in the White House.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Retarded Goatee posted:

Reminder that Bali came to Sweden as a refugee child with his parents either being dead or drones for literal proscribed pseudo-marxist terror cult Mojahedin-e-Khalq

This is probably the main reason for it, things with Iran seems to be personal to him for pretty apparent reasons.
Haven't he also been punished for voting against the party line with respect to the Armenian genocide?
Which is further indications of personal issues trumping politics in a certain area.
Also, having his car tires slashed in an obviously dangerous way puts some stress on you, I would say.

The penalty for the whole DN/Oksanen thing was pretty much overblown, since as far as I have seen, zero evidence have been presented showing Russian interference.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
It really is hilarious that he is getting taken down for pretty much the only correct thing he has ever written.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

:lol: they'd never get statehood. It's be unincorporated territory all the way.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Even if Greenland did somehow become a state only 56k people live there so by the time statehood had been achieved the US military would be permanently stationing 100k+ plus soldiers in Greenland for the on-going cold war with Russia about arctic resources. 2 Republican senators every time!

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

:lol: they'd never get statehood. It's be unincorporated territory all the way.

Be fair. They'd become a state the moment the Inuit population had been thoroughly genocided and the US had moved enough psychotic republican voters there.

e: Jammen for fanden. Seriøst? På samme tid?

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 22, 2019

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TLM3101 posted:

Be fair. They'd become a state the moment the Inuit population had been thoroughly genocided and the US had moved enough psychotic republican voters there.

Flayer posted:

Even if Greenland did somehow become a state only 56k people live there so by the time statehood had been achieved the US military would be permanently stationing 100k+ plus soldiers in Greenland for the on-going cold war with Russia about arctic resources. 2 Republican senators every time!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Can't be, doesn't matter if they station 200k US troops there since convicted criminals aren't allowed to vote

:agesilaus:

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srIN7nlNuQ0

That's one of the worst things I've ever seen. What language is that even supposed to be? It sounds like some Swedish attempt at high British but not even well educated fancy rich people talk like that. He sounds like chuds do when they rant on Flashback

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Henrik Jönsson is one of the dumbest people on Twitter.

Take a moment and realize how much that says about him.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Retarded Goatee posted:

It really is hilarious that he is getting taken down for pretty much the only correct thing he has ever written.
:same:

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Can't be, doesn't matter if they station 200k US troops there since convicted criminals aren't allowed to vote

:agesilaus:
my dude the only thing us armed forces personel are getting convicted of is DUI's.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

:same:

my dude the only thing us armed forces personel are getting convicted of is DUI's.

T'was a bad joke about how american soldiers can only be recruited by judges threatening the convicted with prison otherwise. And that Florida takes away the democratic right to vote from minoritiescrimina...

... :aaa: they gonna convict the Greenlanders aren't they :aaaaa:

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
i cant wait to live under the automotive rule of the peoples front against more toll payments. they have one sentence about wanting to cancel a toll station in 2022 as their program in my county. and you bet they have a whole bunch of candidates running. they are polling 15% in some places :piss:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I suspect there will be a lot of right and center-right aligned one issue parties in the coming future. It correctly identifies non-voters as the most important voting block, and is a really good way to counter left-wing populism.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

they're irascible and mostly eating frp-ers and h-voters

in bergen, they seem to have lost the bourgeois parties the election unless they can pull off a pretty peculiar coalition (they'd have to get both De Kristne and KrF, and there's tons of bad blood there + KrF are committed to bybanen). it would not surprise me if this is also the case in other cities

single issue right-wing parties are OK by me. it fragments the right-wing bloc vote and weakens the ghouls in favour of weird factionalism

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i hate trym aafløy, but the dude is terrorising the government and making them look incredibly weak atm. the core ideological project of the right-wing parties just isn't that popular and the single-issuers really help expose that

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

my new dog posted:

i cant wait to live under the automotive rule of the peoples front against more toll payments. they have one sentence about wanting to cancel a toll station in 2022 as their program in my county. and you bet they have a whole bunch of candidates running. they are polling 15% in some places :piss:

Welcome to Gothenburg politics for most of my lifetime.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

V. Illych L. posted:

single issue right-wing parties are OK by me. it fragments the right-wing bloc vote and weakens the ghouls in favour of weird factionalism

my faith that fragmenting the right-wing actually does anything has been thoroughly destroyed by venstre, krf and frp propping up Erna for so many years

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the right today have basically two (2) sane core arguments that rational, socially-minded people might accept:

(1): "freedom of choice", a commitment to leaving people alone to live their lives without too much interference

(2): cost efficiency, a commitment to getting the most out of each krone

out of these two, the second is enormously much more powerful and difficult to deal with. basically one has to manage to deal with the base assumption that's popularised where private ownership is somehow more democratic than state ownership. this is on its way out anyway, but we really do need to engage with it

and that's it! they have nothing else. they've got base xenophobia to rile up the racists, and they've got snobbish condescension which helps the petit-bourgeois swine imagine that they're somehow competent. they've also got issues like anti-politics (good luck keeping those fucks while in government) and toll roads and whatnot, but all of these things are basically accidental to their core project, and they're what actually gets them votes. steal that poo poo, and the bourgeois parties are as good as dead

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

thotsky posted:

my faith that fragmenting the right-wing actually does anything has been thoroughly destroyed by venstre, krf and frp propping up Erna for so many years

V and Krf are dying, though, and at least V is going to die specifically because of this stupid loving government

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

(2): cost efficiency, a commitment to getting the most out of each krone

I just can't wrap my head around the argument that commercial kindergartens are more cost efficient when it's just a way to subsidize millionaires.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Alhazred posted:

I just can't wrap my head around the argument that commercial kindergartens are more cost efficient when it's just a way to subsidize millionaires.

the idea is that the anbud is at least as cheap as administering the service publically. this is a strong argument that can and does sway reasonable people. it's also trivially true, but it obfuscates a lot of poo poo like service quality, the cost of the anbudsprosess itself, working conditions and the enormous loss of democratic control. the trick is to illustrate the drawbacks, because the basic argument in favour of competition really does hold up and is difficult to counter in the current ideological climate

re: freedom of choice, i should probably rather say "a right to an easy life", because the main actual appeal of this policy is that all this stuff around me basically works and i don't rely too much on it, so surely we don't need *these rules*, *this red tape* etc. this is the segment which are literally willing to see people die so long as they can buy their liquorice pipes in shops so long as you don't phrase it in those terms

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Alhazred posted:

It's not just a way to subsidize millionaires. It does cut public spending, at least in the short term, because running it like a business (and maximizing profit) means a priority is to keep costs low. Sure, this will affect the quality of the service, but rich people should of course be free to pay more for better service for their own kids, just look at how lovely it is, and gently caress the proles.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 27, 2019