Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

SuperKlaus posted:

The new Crab cards look atrocious. I'm sticking to the Scorpion side of arthropod supremacy for the foreseeable future (still pouring out that saké for Spyglass).

FFG always seems to do a very different theme with their clan packs. I always expect "more of the same but better" and end up with an entirely new theme that usually doesn't seem to be quite as good and never gets fully fleshed out.

There are a few exceptions where the new theme is viable but the meta doesn't always embrace it even when it happens.

The Crab stuff is interesting though. Not sure how good it will be, the Stronghold is very non-meta in terms of economic tempo from passing so it's probably going to take a bit for it to breakthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Actually, I want to say I think the Kaiu daimyo is great. Tutor for Karada District and Storehouses and whatnot. The stronghold trying to get around having too many holdings by fishing for guys in a deck that's defined as having too many holdings...iunno.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

SuperKlaus posted:

Actually, I want to say I think the Kaiu daimyo is great. Tutor for Karada District and Storehouses and whatnot. The stronghold trying to get around having too many holdings by fishing for guys in a deck that's defined as having too many holdings...iunno.

For sure, tutoring effects are great even if what you tutor for isn't. Unfortunately, as seen with the Poisoner, having it on a dynasty character is a bit slow. I think this mechanic will work good for Crab though as you can keep her around long enough to get good use out of that effect.

One thing I miss about AEG's card design is that they really did crazy poo poo with their strongholds that felt quite different. I know old players will remember how busted Khol Wall was drat if that wasn't wildly different from everything else going on. This is different but still reigned in a bit too much.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Shihobu is insane

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Which one is that? I'm drawing a blank.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lol and here I was just talking about her.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

wanna see the consistency maximization deck where you put 30 holdings in your deck just so you can remove them

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
How do I get good at the card game, I keep getting owned when I play

Sir Mopalot
Jun 8, 2014
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/8/16/path-of-the-waves/

New sourcebook is going to focus on ronin, peasants, and gaijin. I'm hoping that it's not Kolat heavy.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

How do I get good at the card game, I keep getting owned when I play

Play more and do some reading. Not getting owned boils down to knowing what you’re capable of and more importantly knowing what your opponent is capable of. For example: Don’t leave just one expensive character on your side of the table vs crab because of Way of the Crab. Know what the requirements for the various cancels are.

That said, what are you playing as? What are you losing to?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Also don't play bottom tier if you're bad. If you're new to the game I recommend Dragon. They're very straight forward, strong and will give you a good grasp of how to value characters. They play very well with a Crab splash as The Mountain Does Not Fall and Reprieve are both great inclusions. They can also run out of Keeper of Water which makes Fight On a strong inclusion as well.

Unicorn and Scorpion are both a bit tricky to learn when you're just starting out, Crane is pretty straightfoward with bully duels these days but there's some control elements that are tough to know how to us. Phoenix has a strong deck that's going to get nerfed to hell very soon so I don't recommend picking up a decklist of theirs right now. Lion is...bad.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

PaybackJack posted:

Also don't play bottom tier if you're bad. If you're new to the game I recommend Dragon.

Dragon is currently the bottom tier, so this is contradictory. But there isn't really a "beginner" clan, just play what you want to focus on and get good with it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Kaza42 posted:

Dragon is currently the bottom tier, so this is contradictory. But there isn't really a "beginner" clan, just play what you want to focus on and get good with it.

Crane and Phoenix are top 2 but Dragon isn't doing too badly. There was a Dragon in the top 8 at Gencon and a bunch of their hatamotos were playing Phoenix. Dragon, Crab, Scorpion and Unicorn are all pretty equal I think. And with the nerfs that are coming I don't think Dragon will be doing bad at all. Lion still needs a ton of help, so they're definitely the bottom which their clan pack doesn't look like it will change.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sir Mopalot posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/8/16/path-of-the-waves/

New sourcebook is going to focus on ronin, peasants, and gaijin. I'm hoping that it's not Kolat heavy.

Oh that’s cool. I’ve been recently working through Clavell’s Asian cycle and was contemplating running a game in a Rokugan more in line with Japan’s unique feudalism and societal pressures. Plus peasants and foreigners are an area typically underserved in previous editions.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am super glad the lower classes and foreigners are the focus of the next book. The fact that there are more than like two foreigners in the empire is one of the things I like the most about the new edition.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah, having more explicitly foreign (non-Japanese) influences is a good thing, within reason. It's cool to have support for weirder character options, and if you're super groggy and don't like those weirder options then you can just not allow them in your game. Problem solved.

On a vaguely related note, I still think that giving your fantasy-Japan setting's Satan a Chinese name has really bad optics, but I understand that's 90s AEG's fault not FFG's, and I also am very well aware that RPG nerds lose their loving minds when you start changing or removing sacred cows, even ones that are in desperate need of culling (see: D&D 4E).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It definitely is bad optics, but yeah, there's really not a lot to be done about that. (Or some of the other really dumb holdovers.)

I am looking forward to the game letting me play Toku his own self, tho, given the direction the plot is heading.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
How many other prominent characters had Chinese names, or just non-Japanese names besides Unicorns and actual foreigners? The only other Chinese named characters I can think of are the smith who forged the celestial swords and his son, and I'm not sure how "prominent" that even counts as.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 19, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mors Rattus posted:

It definitely is bad optics, but yeah, there's really not a lot to be done about that. (Or some of the other really dumb holdovers.)

I am looking forward to the game letting me play Toku his own self, tho, given the direction the plot is heading.

Well there the whole thing about Heimin too, it's not a great look to use a word that's modern derogatory slang for a class of people in your game and then miss-translate the word and make it even more insulting.

Then there were the Yobanjin, who started out as a representation of the indigenous peoples of Hokkaido and Okinawa but randomly became Korean at some point.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am super glad the lower classes and foreigners are the focus of the next book. The fact that there are more than like two foreigners in the empire is one of the things I like the most about the new edition.

From the mouth of Wick all of the shadowlands were supposed to represent corrupting Western influence.

Not the best or most nuanced take, but it helps to understand the original intent.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PJOmega posted:

From the mouth of Wick all of the shadowlands were supposed to represent corrupting Western influence.

Not the best or most nuanced take, but it helps to understand the original intent.

That doesn't even make sense! The corrupting western influence of eating people and blood magic?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
"Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood" sounds like something a Western missionary would say. :goonsay:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

PJOmega posted:

Blockhouse posted:

That doesn't even make sense! The corrupting western influence of eating people and blood magic?

I can think of at least 3 ways that doesn’t make any sense and know barely anything about l5r

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

also, y'know, the creatures of the Shadowlands are led by the oni and their dark lord with the one Chinese name in the setting's major characters

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Mors Rattus posted:

also, y'know, the creatures of the Shadowlands are led by the oni and their dark lord with the one Chinese name in the setting's major characters

China IS west of Japan, after all.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The latest story is pretty crazy. It's too bad they don't put out the fiction a bit quicker, feels like the Emperor has been dead for months and we're still dealing with the night of it happening. I didn't like it though in the sense that Kachiko would have let the prince roam around unattended, let alone commit seppuku; he's her meal ticket so she'd people watching him. Even though it feels like they're leaving some out for the Scorpion to not look like blunderers, there's still a few too many mistakes.

I did like that they kind of showed Daisetsu as being a bit of a dick, and possibly corrupt. The Yogo twist is a neat call back as well, I don't remember if that was mentioned before or not.

SpaceViking posted:

China IS west of Japan, after all.

Since this game is born of weeaboo fantasy it's not particularly surprising that not-Japan Asia is poorly represented.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 22, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
China is just kind of not even present, going west you just sort of jump straight into the Not-Gobi Desert, Not- Mongolia and then the ...Not-Middle East? Where you meet the...checks papers... Not-Egyptians and Not-Romans?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

China is just kind of not even present, going west you just sort of jump straight into the Not-Gobi Desert, Not- Mongolia and then the ...Not-Middle East? Where you meet the...checks papers... Not-Egyptians and Not-Romans?

No, the not-egyptians and not-romans are on the other side of the not-middle east. The not-middle east is the caliphate, currently ruled by an immortal sorcerer queen, unless that's been changed. Also if you take a left turn just after not mongolia you end up in not-india.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The status of the Immortal Caliph is currently unknown. We know the city/nation's name got changed, tho.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Littlefinger posted:

"Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood" sounds like something a Western missionary would say. :goonsay:

Fu Leng be with you.

And also with you.

Sir Mopalot
Jun 8, 2014

WerrWaaa posted:

Fu Leng be with you.

And also with you.

No, since Day of Thunder 2 it's "And with your spirit"

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Sir Mopalot posted:

No, since Day of Thunder 2 it's "And with your spirit"

Sorry I'm a Hanteisedavancantist

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Someone on reddit posted the reference sheets they made for their playgroup. It includes a streamlined table of general uses for opportunity

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-1LBhOoFqXAYkpnqCPMMnUKaOLz42hEn/view

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 24, 2019

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

PJOmega posted:

That's real stupid and yet it makes me feel good about revising the Crab in my home games to be 75% about repelling gaijin and only 25% forever war with hell.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Echo Birb is the terror of the meta for the moment and it seems half the field has gone Earth role to get Earth Becomes Sky - think it's Yogo Kikuyo the spell-hatin' Scorpion's time to shine?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Every week Courts of Stone fails to be released in PDF I put on my kimono, go out into my garden, and scream at the uncaring sky.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Every week Courts of Stone fails to be released in PDF I put on my kimono, go out into my garden, and scream at the uncaring sky.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

SuperKlaus posted:

Echo Birb is the terror of the meta for the moment and it seems half the field has gone Earth role to get Earth Becomes Sky - think it's Yogo Kikuyo the spell-hatin' Scorpion's time to shine?

Echo Birb did well at Gencon, and then the meta adjusted and they fell flat at Krakow. EBS is the new hotness, but Kikuyo is a poor answer to it. She only works during conflicts, and EBS shines during Regroup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ohhh nuts I forgot she can't answer it during regroup. What are the counters to Echo Birb?