Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Should've gone with Punch Rockgroin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The MSJ posted:

Too bad his mom was holding him by the balls when dipping him in the river.

this is just a standard baptism :confused:

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

The MSJ posted:

Too bad his mom was holding him by the balls when dipping him in the river.

Ah yes, the legend of Bophadese.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

drat that's some really effective camouflage

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BattleMaster posted:

drat that's some really effective camouflage

Alas, he can only do this trick once.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Marcade posted:

:bravo: unironically

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1163907336206999552?s=19

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Marcade posted:

:master:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They're 4 "F", I mean "L"!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"They're not swastikas, they're clearly two S's"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Brewery recalls beer, says it’s ‘completely safe to drink,’ except it might explode

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This basically means it's still fermenting and they can't guarantee the alcohol content of the beer so it may be stronger than labelled as.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Not exactly a headline, but my town's alert system sent out the ominous-sounding "Wormwood situation resolved. Safe to return home," yesterday. Sounds apocalyptic, but it was fortunately a peacefully resolved standoff on Wormwood Road.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Inceltown posted:

This basically means it's still fermenting and they can't guarantee the alcohol content of the beer so it may be stronger than labelled as.

Or the higher-than-planned pressure might make the bottle burst in a flurry of glass shards, forcing you to scrub the kitchen at 3am before a cat got into it or anything can stained.

Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Inceltown posted:

Yeah it makes sense (not to deny how funny the headline is). Nothing actually harmful about the beer itself, but just be careful with the bottle.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Inceltown posted:

Should have been Steele Testicles instead.

Sidetesticles

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.kgw.com/article/news/lo...59-bb05179701fd

man stuck in septic tank for multiple days :randno:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

quote:

Estacada Rural Fire District No. 69.

:nice:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GWBBQ posted:

Not exactly a headline, but my town's alert system sent out the ominous-sounding "Wormwood situation resolved. Safe to return home," yesterday. Sounds apocalyptic, but it was fortunately a peacefully resolved standoff on Wormwood Road.
Forgive me if I don't take the word of someone living on or near "Wormwood Road".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

How much xp did you get for the quest

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

lovely website posted:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/clackamas-county/firefighters-rescue-person-stuck-in-septic-tank-for-days/283-ae247009-b96f-4dde-b559-bb05179701fd" on this server.
Reference #18.6202655f.1566549551.d3a266b

I feel like I get the grasp of the situation from your description but if there's any particularly good details post em in the thread?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

jojoinnit posted:

I feel like I get the grasp of the situation from your description but if there's any particularly good details post em in the thread?
Firefighters rescue person stuck in septic tank for days
The person was working on the septic tank when they fell into it, according to Estacada fire officials.
Author: Nate Hanson
Published: 3:01 PM PDT August 22, 2019
Updated: 3:21 PM PDT August 22, 2019
ESTACADA, Ore. — Firefighters earlier this week rescued a person who was stuck in a septic tank for multiple days in Estacada.

The person was working on the septic tank when they fell into it, according to Estacada Rural Fire District No. 69.

Firefighters responded to a confined space rescue call on Tuesday to help the person out. Estacada firefighters were assisted by Clackamas Fire.

The person was flown to a hospital for treatment. Their condition was not released.

app-facebook
Estacada Rural Fire District No. 69
on Wednesday
Yesterday our crews responded to a confined space rescue call where an individual fell into a septic tank they were working on and had been in multiple days. Our crews were assisted by the Technical Rescue Team along with Engine 318 from Clackamas Fire. Once extricated the patient was transported to the hospital by Lifeflight.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

GWBBQ posted:

I kinda want to reread Home Delivery now.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

aardwolf posted:

I kinda want to reread Home Delivery now.

That story owned.

Say what you want about his books, but King is loving great at writing short stories

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/rprose/status/1164890325481074689

Sure.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Blaming the radiation from your current nuclear disaster on your old nuclear disaster

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Aug 23, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-49425794

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Uranus is hiding 13 invisible rings. These images captured their warm glow for the first time.

(This makes up for all the times people forgot to put the ring in those goatse references. :v: )

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Goku: uranus... how–how many rings!!
Vegeta: at least 12 --- invisible :hehe:
Mr huge: aaaaaa
Goku: aaaa

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krankenstyle posted:

Goku: uranus... how–how many rings!!
Vegeta: at least 12 --- invisible :hehe:
Mr huge: aaaaaa
Goku: aaaa

i don't get it

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Randaconda posted:

i don't get it

I'd explain but first I need to shake and wobble while yelling incoherently for the next 20 minutes to kill time before the episode break.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/CatkinsLap/status/1165039403464560640
https://twitter.com/CatkinsLap/status/1165039406677446658

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CRIIIIIIME IIIIIIIN SPAAAAAAAAAACE

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CRIIIIIIMES WIIIIIIITH CAAAAAAAAATS

https://twitter.com/npr/status/1164915246768807937?s=21

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

From comments on lesbian space crime,

https://twitter.com/engineer_cat/status/1165214854287900672

a Space Mutiny, if you will

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
what about that weird drill hole someone took multiple tries to do on the iss a while back?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1165138017251680256

That paywall is killing me

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nestled in the Indian Himalayas, some 16,500 feet above sea level, sits Roopkund Lake. One hundred and thirty feet wide, it is frozen for much of the year, a frosty pond in a lonely, snowbound valley. But on warmer days, it delivers a macabre performance, as hundreds of human skeletons, some with flesh still attached, emerge from what has become known as Skeleton Lake.

Who were these individuals, and what befell them? One leading idea was that they died simultaneously in a catastrophic event more than 1,000 years ago. An unpublished anthropological survey from several years ago studied five skeletons and estimated they were 1,200 years old.

But a new genetic analysis carried out by scientists in India, America and Germany has upended that theory. The study, which examined DNA from 38 remains, indicates that there wasn’t just one mass dumping of the dead, but several, spread over a millennium.

The report, published Tuesday in Nature Communications, has led to a “far richer view into the possible histories of this site” than previous efforts provided, said Jennifer Raff, a geneticist and anthropologist at the University of Kansas who was not involved with the work.

Anthropologists have known about Roopkund Lake for several decades, but little was known about the provenance of its skeletons. Rockslides, migrating ice and even human visitors have disturbed and moved the remains, making it difficult to decipher when and how the individuals were buried, much less who they were. “In a case like this, that becomes impossible,” said Cat Jarman, a bioarchaeologist at the University of Bristol in England who was not part of the research team.

Genetic analysis has helped make some sense of the jumble of bones. The researchers, led in part by Niraj Rai, an expert in ancient DNA at the Birbal Sahni Institute of Palaeosciences in India, and David Reich, a geneticist at Harvard University, extracted DNA from the remains of dozens of skeletal samples, and managed to identify 23 males and 15 females.

Based on populations living today, these individuals fit into three distinct genetic groups. Twenty-three, including males and females, had ancestries typical of contemporary South Asians; their remains were deposited at the lake between the 7th and 10th centuries, and not all at once. Some skeletons were more ancient than others, suggesting that many were interred at the lake lifetimes apart.

Then, perhaps 1,000 years or so later, sometime between the 17th and 20th centuries, two more genetic groups suddenly appeared within the lake: one individual of East Asian-related ancestry and, curiously, 14 people of eastern Mediterranean ancestry.

How all these individuals met their end is anyone’s guess. There’s no evidence of bacterial infections, so an epidemic was probably not to blame. Perhaps the challenging high-altitude environment proved fatal.

The earlier study, of five skeletal samples, found three with unhealed compression fractures, perhaps inflicted by huge hailstones, although that conclusion is open to debate. In any case, across a range of centuries “it’s hard to believe that each individual died in exactly the same way,” said Éadaoin Harney, a doctoral student at Harvard and the lead author on the study.

The individuals included children and elderly adults, but none were family relatives. Chemical signatures from the skeletons indicate that the individuals had significantly different diets, adding support to the notion that several distinct population groups are represented.

If accounts of their journeys exist somewhere, none have been uncovered so far. “We have searched all the archives, but no such records were found,” said Dr. Rai.

The researchers note that Roopkund Lake is situated on a route known to modern-day Hindu pilgrims, so perhaps some of the South Asian individuals died while taking part. But that is less likely to explain the presence of individuals from the distant eastern Mediterranean.

Perhaps they weren’t actually Mediterranean migrants, Dr. Jarman said. Their genetic ancestry resembles that of present-day people from Greece or Crete, but current distribution may not apply to ancient populations. Regardless, this group came from somewhere far from Roopkund Lake, for reasons unknown.

Maybe the site held significance for groups with various religious beliefs, said Dr. Jarman. Maybe some of the skeletons were brought for burial, possibly to be left in the lake. Or maybe there were ill-fated explorers — driven by a desire to see a spectacular mountain range, killed by their own curiosity.

A few answers have begun to emerge, at least. Archaeology is full of such enigmatic sites, Dr. Reich said, and when science comes along and digs in, “it enriches the story in immeasurable ways.”

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Skelake

edit: Skelaketon

Samuringa has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Skeletarn