Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
There was a series of books I read in the mid 90s, the student teacher loaned them to me, so they were older than the 90s. Fantasy setting, the characters cast magic by literally rolling dice. The number of sides determined what they did, d4 was fire, d8 was earth, or something. There was some meta setting where they realized they were in a role playing game, and tried to send a weapon "up" one level to the people playing the characters, and the last scene is some aliens rolling dice to see if the weapon explodes in boring America, and it closes with something like "roll the dice and let's see what happens"

Let me tell you, searching for magic dice is a right pain in the dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

An older song that goes "yippy ai oh ai eyyy" like the letters I O I A, trading back and forth with a main singer. I think that it may have been the exact same thing just from a deep voice. "YIPPY AI OH AI EYY" "yippy ai oh ai eyyy"

Are you thinking of the theme song from Hey Dude?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AaiQVAG0gQ&t=25s

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Long time ago, maybe around 2005-2010, in Bloomington Indiana I saw a tv ad for a "Wood Show." I think it was like a woodworking/carpentry expo/convention. Anyway, the narration for the ad had the sort of rhythms of one of those "Sunday Sunday SUNDAY!!!" monstertruck ads, but the guy reading the copy had an almost comically gentle good-natured voice. I don't think he actually had the Minnesota "O ya dontcha know" accent, but it was a very similar vibe. It was kinda funny and very charming. I was pretty young at the time, so for all I know it may have been done intentionally for laughs, but there wasn't any dead giveaway if it was.

Unfortunately I don't remember the name or location of the event or any other details. I'd love to see it again.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
For the goon that was asking about the Harry Cherry meme

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861354&pagenumber=784&perpage=40#post497350257

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Alarbus posted:

There was a series of books I read in the mid 90s, the student teacher loaned them to me, so they were older than the 90s. Fantasy setting, the characters cast magic by literally rolling dice. The number of sides determined what they did, d4 was fire, d8 was earth, or something. There was some meta setting where they realized they were in a role playing game, and tried to send a weapon "up" one level to the people playing the characters, and the last scene is some aliens rolling dice to see if the weapon explodes in boring America, and it closes with something like "roll the dice and let's see what happens"

That sounds really cool, in fact. I'm sort of wondering how the lol, actually aliens control everything deal fits in if this is a series with multiple books? Is that the payoff of some long series? That seems totally insane!

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

I remembered one that’s likely impossible: I saw an image a while ago (looked like it was from Tumblr, maybe) explaining the concept for a party game based on prohibition speakeasies. The basic idea was cops vs rumrunners, where partygoers had to smuggle in their own alcohol and try to hide it from the detectives (aka all the sober people) at the party. The image went into more detail about the consequences for getting caught, but I can’t remember them. I remember thinking it was a cool idea and I cannot for the life of me find it again.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Alarbus posted:

I remember something similar to this (maybe the same), where I think the characters were aware of their gods throwing dice for them and guiding their actions. One character had turned half robot or something at one point and was intermittently going blind for his actions as he had some condition that a certain roll would blind him. I think maybe another character was atheistic and made fun of one of the other characters for believing in his god-kid. Danged if I can remember anything else about it, including a title.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Some years ago I listened to a youtube lecture series by an astronomer or physics guy, he made a big playlist of topics he explained, it veered off into cultural stuff too like polynesian cargo cults and other crap, it was really interesting and not psuedosciency at all. I don't think he had a lot of views but it was a really good series, I forgot what it was called or what the guy's name was. Does this ring any bells?

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

Lindy Hopscotch posted:

Thanks for these, I've seen and love Watership Down, and I *think* Redwall might be it ... but I'm not entirely sure. I looked it up in Google images and it does have a tearful looking part with some mouse dying in anothers arms, but not the setting or exact characters I remember.

The style i remember was also way more cutesy than this, somehow. And I remember the dying rodent anthro thing was wearing an officers coat from like the 1700s.

I've just no idea !

I looked through and didn't see any mention of it, but was it Once Upon a Forest? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLKuBn7_Clw

There is a dying child mouse in it.

I'm off with the other details, but as a long shot!

Min_sora fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 23, 2019

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Lindy Hopscotch posted:

I got another one for you goons:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars ago, when I was probably closer to 10,11,12 years old (so somewhere in '97, '98 or '99) and my mom and I had black box cable and on one of the big "this isnt tv its (huffs farts)" movie channels there was some cartoon on that was like some furry poo poo with anthro characters (not just talking animals) and I remember it was so loving weird because it was trying to be extremely serious and dramatic while using chip n dale looking goofy-rear end characters.

I remember some male character was dying in a female characters arms and it was supposed to be very sad but all it did was confuse the hell out of me and it was so loving weird that I remember only that scene and nothing else. Oh Extra detail, it was like set on a ship or something so think of Colonial american times or British times or whatever the gently caress.

This mightve been Stars or HBO or Cinemax even idk wtf but all those channels were clustered together, so who knows !

Any chance it was Secret of NIMH? There's a drying mouse kid in it, but it lives.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Alarbus posted:

Pretty sure this is the "Guardians of the Flame" series of books by Joel Rosenberg.

There's a handicapped kid who plays a badass berserker, etc etc.

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 23, 2019

nut
Jul 30, 2019

when i was a kid there was a discovery kids (i think or a similar channel) show called operation junkyard where teams would build machines from scrap and stuff and there's a specific episode where they had to make a machine that makes pies and in that episode is the genesis of one of my friends' longest running inside jokes and i would kill for a way to get a copy of the episode, pay, whatever but i dunno anywhere it is available.

I even remember trying to email youtubers who had uploaded other episodes and the rights holders int he past

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Some years ago I listened to a youtube lecture series by an astronomer or physics guy, he made a big playlist of topics he explained, it veered off into cultural stuff too like polynesian cargo cults and other crap, it was really interesting and not psuedosciency at all. I don't think he had a lot of views but it was a really good series, I forgot what it was called or what the guy's name was. Does this ring any bells?

Shot in the dark, could it have been Buckminster Fuller? He's got a pretty distinctive voice, so you could probably tell one way or another pretty quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZB2La-oCVI

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I have one! It was an animated horror short, about some guy being paranoid about being dosed, or actually being dosed with some sort of drugs in tea. After he drank it, the faces of his friends became leering and monstrous.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

tight aspirations posted:

I have one! It was an animated horror short, about some guy being paranoid about being dosed, or actually being dosed with some sort of drugs in tea. After he drank it, the faces of his friends became leering and monstrous.

Smile?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT1Erm2C4iQ

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

tight aspirations posted:

Any rough idea on age, style, etc.?
E: dang, beaten by previous post, possibly...

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Pretty sure this is the "Guardians of the Flame" series of books by Joel Rosenberg.

There's a handicapped kid who plays a badass berserker, etc etc.

Maybe? I don't recall them being transported into the game though.

Oh, one other thing that came to me is that the world was a hexagon grid and they knew they could only move so many in a day.

I'll see about picking up the first Guardians of the Flame book and see if it rings any bells.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Holy poo poo, that was it, thanks! Less than five minutes, and with a crappy description to boot :golfclap:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Alarbus posted:

Oh, one other thing that came to me is that the world was a hexagon grid and they knew they could only move so many in a day.

I'll see about picking up the first Guardians of the Flame book and see if it rings any bells.

Oh poo poo, I definitely remember this too now. The dice thing sounded familiar but I explicitly remember the hex stuff.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Alarbus posted:

Maybe? I don't recall them being transported into the game though.

Oh, another possibility is the Gamearth series? Looks like it has the actual hex grid on the world, etc.
OH YEAH IT'S TOTALLY THIS!
Characters seeing the players as gods, developing giant weapons, etc.

There's also Quag Keep which has the dice literally attached to characters that spin when poo poo happens? (it's a super-early D&D novel from the 70s by Andre Norton)

Looks like there were tons of bizarre RPG-based books back in the day...

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 23, 2019

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

Another one:
A song from an old Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 custom ctf map (or just the map itself)

Two floating domes in the clouds, lots of glass tinted blue and red. Soundtrack was a very chilled out guitar loop.
I think the song was called 'Genesistheme' or something like that, i have no recollection of the mapname itself.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Galaxander posted:

Shot in the dark, could it have been Buckminster Fuller? He's got a pretty distinctive voice, so you could probably tell one way or another pretty quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZB2La-oCVI

Nah this was a very obscure youtuber, I can't for the life of me find the playlist again which might mean that he removed it.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Oh, another possibility is the Gamearth series? Looks like it has the actual hex grid on the world, etc.
OH YEAH IT'S TOTALLY THIS!
Characters seeing the players as gods, developing giant weapons, etc.

There's also Quag Keep which has the dice literally attached to characters that spin when poo poo happens? (it's a super-early D&D novel from the 70s by Andre Norton)

Looks like there were tons of bizarre RPG-based books back in the day...

Holy poo poo, it's Gamearth! :toot:

Amazing, it's a Kevin J Anderson series too. That's pretty funny.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Another one:
A song from an old Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 custom ctf map (or just the map itself)

Two floating domes in the clouds, lots of glass tinted blue and red. Soundtrack was a very chilled out guitar loop.
I think the song was called 'Genesistheme' or something like that, i have no recollection of the mapname itself.

Here ya go, my dude:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-tournament-2004/capture-the-flag/G/1/ctf-genesis_8dac2f87.html
Includes link to download the map, including "genesistheme.ogg," which seems to be an original composition by the creator.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ralph Hurley posted:

There was a punk rock zine back in the day that had a comic strip called Ferret that was a punk ferret character going to shows and making fun of scenesters iirc. I can’t remember the name of the artist or the name of the magazine. Google only turns up lovely web comics and lovely furry crap of course. This comic strip I’m looking for is also lovely but in a 80s hand drawn punk way. I vaguely remember liking the drawing style and it being sort of funny. I only saw it a couple times. I just want to confirm that the actual thing is as cool as my foggy memory of it.

Yeah, I've been trying, and it just isn't enough to go on. Was the zine actually from the 80s? Was it in black & white? Do you remember anything else about the zine? Was it a long-running, popular one, or something that lasted for six months in 1987 and only distributed around Milwaukee?
It's entirely possible literally zero copies have survived to be scanned into the internet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Billy Mays album a goon wrote for a mod challenge

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

can someone remind me what my avatar is from? i knew at one point but it has slipped my mind

Unless I missed someone else telling you, it's from the game Braindead 13.

One thing from the forums I'd love to have again is a photoshop from an old thread that was called something like Make Games for the Mentally Challenged. It was a NES cart that said Table or Dog? on it and my friend and I still reference it when we're talking about stupid people.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
Crosspost from the small questions thread.

Human Tornada posted:

I'm thinking of a somewhat famous album cover most likely from the 90's or early 00's that has a mosaic or patchwork look to it with a big heart off-center. Anybody know it?

Human Tornada posted:

So, uh, if anybody remembers this post, I never figured it out, but today I was driving and saw a spare tire cover (!) that had this very design printed on it. The word "lost" is there and it says "found" inside the heart, but I still wasn't able to come up with anything on Google. What is this thing?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
did anyone ever save or back up the high resolution version of Brokeback to the Future? pretty sure a goon actually made it (among others on a team) and there was a gbs thread but alas. somehow only lower res versions of it seemed to have spread

also whats the music used in it

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 24, 2019

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Here ya go, my dude:

Incredible, thank you so much !

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Pyroclastic posted:

Yeah, I've been trying, and it just isn't enough to go on. Was the zine actually from the 80s? Was it in black & white? Do you remember anything else about the zine? Was it a long-running, popular one, or something that lasted for six months in 1987 and only distributed around Milwaukee?
It's entirely possible literally zero copies have survived to be scanned into the internet.

I just asked my friend who originally showed me the magazine years ago because now it’s driving me nuts. It was called Black Market, from the mid/late 80s, think it was L.A. based. He said he would scan the ferret comics for me. I’m psyched. It certainly was a very underground publication and there’s not a whole lot of scans online.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
A song I've been looking for for years. Might have been on a punk-o-rama compilation but I've listened to most of them and couldn't find it. Kind of sunny undistorted guitar with a ridiculously gruff Oi guy singing. Probably 1997-2001??? I know that it's on some compilation. I can't remember any lyrics I just remember how funny I thought the juxtaposition of the music and guy's voice was.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Awful CompSloth posted:

A book that was a collection of creepy stories for kids that I read in elementary school so sometime in the mid to late 2000's. The only stories I remember from it are one about this kid who attends a school for wizards or something, and at the end he finds that when they graduate the creepy floating hand that's the principal of the school is going to snatch the last kid in line to keep forever. The kid solves this by telling the hand that there's one more kid behind him, and has the hand grab his shadow to keep forever. Another story is about someone who makes a violin or something out of a special wood and he becomes cursed and dies or something, I forgot.

I don't know if this was solved yet, but my mind immediately drifted to David Lubar's Weenies series, which I would have been reading at about that same time at roughly that age as well.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I had been searching for a particular recording of Beethoven's 9th symphony for years, and a week or so ago I finally found a copy for sale on Amazon and snapped it up. Took me well over a decade to find another copy of the drat thing.

E: It's the Choral edition conducted by Bernard Haitink with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, in case anyone was curious.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Might as well post a couple of my own white whales:

1. A collection of short comics in a large, black, hardcover book I used to borrow from the library all the time in middle school. I distinctly remember there were one or two page spreads that were mazes, with the paths composed of comics panels that told a story dependent on the path you chose, and each dead end was the character dying or being imprisoned or something like that. I distinctly remember one of the characters just being a ball with stick limbs and brown hair. As for the comics themselves, I only really remember two of them: one about a kid going to summer camp between middle school and high school, and the other about a frozen wasteland expedition I think? It's been at least a decade since I last saw it and that library doesn't have it anymore, but I'd love to see it again and get that nostalgia rush.

2. An indoor amusement place like Chuck E. Cheese, but far more elaborate: I can recall a pirate ship, a foam block pool, automated cars on a track that you could ride, and dressed-up mascots. This would have been around 2000 or 2001 in the eastern Pennsylvania/western New Jersey area most likely. I might have dreamed this one since I was quite young, but it feels far too vivid to just be a dream, and I've been tearing my hair out for at least a decade trying to figure it out.

3. On a plane ride to Florida when I was 14 (so circa summer 2011), they had internet radio, so I tuned into it and the station was playing a speed metal/thrash metal track that I thought was really cool. Unfortunately, the only thing I recall is the title of the song since it was just such a corny joke of a name: "Ride of Your Death."

Any help at all would be appreciated.

e: Oh yeah, and for something I know existed but can't find: there was a Beatles parody on 2008 YouTube titled "A Hard Day's Life" that featured a zombified version of the band stumbling after frantic fans and cutting into a brain with candles on it like a birthday cake. I'm pretty sure it was the first YouTube video I ever watched, and as far as I'm aware, it's been since deleted. C'est la vie.

symbolic fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 25, 2019

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Here ya go, my dude:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-tournament-2004/capture-the-flag/G/1/ctf-genesis_8dac2f87.html
Includes link to download the map, including "genesistheme.ogg," which seems to be an original composition by the creator.

what about the unreal tournament 2004 level that came on a pc gamer dvd and the map was a giant pc gamer office

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what about the time i told you i loved you and its all ok now

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

symbolic posted:

e: Oh yeah, and for something I know existed but can't find: there was a Beatles parody on 2008 YouTube titled "A Hard Day's Life" that featured a zombified version of the band stumbling after frantic fans and cutting into a brain with candles on it like a birthday cake. I'm pretty sure it was the first YouTube video I ever watched, and as far as I'm aware, it's been since deleted. C'est la vie.

Dude- come on!
I just googled: Zombie Beatles "Hard Day's Night"
And multiple copies of the video immediately came up, including on YouTube.

Enjoy:
https://youtu.be/jP6nYs9Il7c

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

symbolic posted:

2. An indoor amusement place like Chuck E. Cheese, but far more elaborate: I can recall a pirate ship, a foam block pool, automated cars on a track that you could ride, and dressed-up mascots. This would have been around 2000 or 2001 in the eastern Pennsylvania/western New Jersey area most likely. I might have dreamed this one since I was quite young, but it feels far too vivid to just be a dream, and I've been tearing my hair out for at least a decade trying to figure it out.

Was it Jungle Jim's Playland? I loved this place when I was a kid, and it was apparently a national chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
chuck e cheese is my favorite evidence of dystopia i've seen so far, well done thread