Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Xander77 posted:

What did you want to see? What did you feel was missing from the ending?

As with every game, New Vegas ending slides. So, yes, your explanation but more detailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

i would pay good money for a game where tracer tong and myron got into a knife fight over nanojet

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I need to know what happened to the "I speel my drink" guy. And Miguel.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think Deus Ex actually has the best ending of any game in which you choose how things go down and that's largely due to the fact that it doesn't show you what happens afterwards. It's basically asking the player what they think of the world after experiencing it. Do you think the status quo is worth maintaining and that Bob Page's conspiracy was just an anomaly? Do you believe that technology itself can reshape society into a utopia? Or has society become so broken that it needs to reset and get another chance? It's a cool and unusual way of ending that I prefer over the common method of "here's the choice of good ending, evil ending, and comedy ending" or ending slides that tell the player whether they picked the correct or incorrect choice in each situation. I also heavily disagree that the term "cliffhanger" applies to Deus Ex because not only does it not tease the audience with a sequel, it doesn't really leave itself open to a sequel at all (which is part of why Invisible War sucks in a very fundamental fashion).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Party gurl ending was the best ending of any video game ever created.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gobblecoque posted:

I think Deus Ex actually has the best ending of any game in which you choose how things go down and that's largely due to the fact that it doesn't show you what happens afterwards. It's basically asking the player what they think of the world after experiencing it. Do you think the status quo is worth maintaining and that Bob Page's conspiracy was just an anomaly? Do you believe that technology itself can reshape society into a utopia? Or has society become so broken that it needs to reset and get another chance? It's a cool and unusual way of ending that I prefer over the common method of "here's the choice of good ending, evil ending, and comedy ending" or ending slides that tell the player whether they picked the correct or incorrect choice in each situation. I also heavily disagree that the term "cliffhanger" applies to Deus Ex because not only does it not tease the audience with a sequel, it doesn't really leave itself open to a sequel at all (which is part of why Invisible War sucks in a very fundamental fashion).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd also like a post-game segment where I walk around and talk to the various characters that I've met throughout my adventure.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

im just surprised jc made it to hong kong after jock drank all those warm 40s

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Zaphod42 posted:

Ironic because of all the sunglasses! :cheeky:

Yeah its a little odd. Noir is just best at night, and in the rain.

Course, there are Noire movies which break that convention, and the new Cyberpunk game is doing daytime and looks like they're pulling it off.

I'm modding that poo poo so that in day time it's permanently overcast or raining. You do see the occasional sunshine noir - the movie Drive jumps to mind - but cyberpunk, with all the bright lights and dark colours, seems more suited to darker conditions.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

goatsestretchgoals posted:

im just surprised jc made it to hong kong after jock drank all those warm 40s

You can’t fly those birds all wound up...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oh yes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I know it works but it needs to be acknowledged that it really shouldn't because the voice acting in Deus Ex is objectively terrible for the most part, particularly for JC through no fault of the actor because his instructions were 'oh poo poo we don't know what the player is going to be feeling at this point and we can't branch dialogue to account for that so just deadpan everything'.

It just so happens that deadpanning everything results in a protagonist who takes no poo poo and isn't fazed by anything, which is perfect for a game where every conspiracy imaginable is thrown at you as true.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Thanks to the incredible Duckfeed network of podcasts, I have been made aware that Paul and JC are voiced by the same actor. Considering the former is a good character, it's obvious that any fault in the latter is a matter of direction.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

feelix posted:

Thanks to the incredible Duckfeed network of podcasts, I have been made aware that Paul and JC are voiced by the same actor. Considering the former is a good character, it's obvious that any fault in the latter is a matter of direction.

I don't think it's a fault in this particular context. Ordinarily, yes, it'd be a sign of something badly made, but in this context it was humorous and felt like a bit of a nod and a wink to the fact that the game was tied to a lot of schlock culture.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xander77 posted:

because a script bug doesn't account for that.

If they specifically put that part in the epilogue, I'm sold.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

feelix posted:

Yeah, they've stated as such. JC is supposed to be a blank canvas for the player (you occasionally see him with personality, like his interaction with Reyes), but Paul is directed as being more outgoing and big in how he's played.

They sort of did the same thing with Jensen. Toufexis was directed to be more flat in HR and in MD he was like "dudes I got this character now, let me do my thing" and they let him, which is why he has so much more personality.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Rhetoric? And you believe it?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Helianthus Annuus posted:

has anyone tried this "community update" for GMDX?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx-v10-community-update

Woah woah woah what:

quote:

Liberty Island (Chapter 1):
Made the false floor in Filben's room less obvious.

Is that a GMDX addition? Cause if not :eyepop:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Is that a GMDX addition? Cause if not :eyepop:

yes, i actually never found it until after reading about it there

i love this about gmdx, there are tons of little secrets like this added into every map

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

yes, i actually never found it until after reading about it there

i love this about gmdx, there are tons of little secrets like this added into every map

I didn't catch that. I always climb up the backside of the pedestal to get in, but I usually head over to the other dock to get into the sunken barge.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Look what I found in my parents attic

Worth a play?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

This is why GMDX is better than Revision. GMDX acknowledges that the original level designs are masterpieces and doesn't gently caress with them, it just adds little things to them. Revision just changes everything and never asks if the change is necessary.

Speaking of which I've been playing GMDX v10. If I remember correctly the big issue from before was the extremely hardcore difficulty? If that's the case then v10 is definitely toned down. I just finished up the first visit to Hell's Kitchen non-lethally and I am just sailing through it, only died a handful of times.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

jojoinnit posted:

Worth a play?

What a stupid question

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

jojoinnit posted:

Worth a play?

While a lot of its fans are heavily influenced by nostalgia in their estimations, it is a genuinely good game at its core, and worth playing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Butterfly Valley posted:

What a stupid question

I still have my disc copy as well, but I will never play it again is it's too much of a PitA to update. Digital it is

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You can probably assume that the person with four pages of posts in the Deus Ex thread is not seriously asking if Deus Ex is worth playing. :v:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

i like how it says that locations are recreated from detailed maps, blueprints, and photographs

just some very minor differences lol

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

i like how it says that locations are recreated from detailed maps, blueprints, and photographs

just some very minor differences lol
Someone posted a photo comparison of their liberty island tour... here?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Liberty Island and Battery Park are reasonable, but then there's the rest of the game.

New York and Hong Kong both capture a vibe, at least. And Tonnochi Road looks like a lot of streets in Kowloon.

HK sets my sperg off. It's supposed to be on Hong Kong island, then you go into the Versalife building and look out the window and you're several kilometers north of the island looking back towards Wan Chai so that's one hell of an elevator. And I dunno if GMDX did this but there are so, so many Chinese text textures that are backwards or sideways.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

HK sets my sperg off.
Did you ever end up playing Sleeping Dogs?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Lemon-Lime posted:

You can probably assume that the person with four pages of posts in the Deus Ex thread is not seriously asking if Deus Ex is worth playing. :v:

Jesus Christ Denton, we've been posting in this thread for 8 years. I saw one of your first posts shortly after mine. I even enjoyed reading the old discussion on this game and now I really wish we had someone going through it for the first time and live-posting as they go cause that was a magical time in this thread.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
So, I've been trying to play Deus Ex again, and I'm on my third 'getting into Unatco for the first time' checkpoint out of my three attempts thus far. My first almost ten years ago, and my second and (this) third in the past few weeks, with the first being pure non-lethal, and I got across the river and talked to the kid about a soda machine, and my second I got all the way through Unatco and played a more indoctrinated pragmatic JC who shot a fair number of NSF in the head with his 10mm, and my third, just a few days ago (current) who was completely baton and prod (with a hint of pepper) spray based and non-lethal, putting all my skills in low-tech.

It's a fun game. I see why so many people enshrine it the way they do! I just...pphhbt, lose steam.

I've been playing it without any mods, other than fixer to get it to run at all. Should I actually be using biomod, or should I go full vanilla? Back in my STALKER days, I always advised going vanilla (or rather, ZRP fixes-only vanilla) for a first runthrough, and that's how I play pretty much all my games, but I've seen some people who seriously claim that you absolutely shouldn't play DE (1) without biomod, or shifter, to a lesser extent.

Anyone have opinions?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

So, I've been trying to play Deus Ex again, and I'm on my third 'getting into Unatco for the first time' checkpoint out of my three attempts thus far. My first almost ten years ago, and my second and (this) third in the past few weeks, with the first being pure non-lethal, and I got across the river and talked to the kid about a soda machine, and my second I got all the way through Unatco and played a more indoctrinated pragmatic JC who shot a fair number of NSF in the head with his 10mm, and my third, just a few days ago (current) who was completely baton and prod (with a hint of pepper) spray based and non-lethal, putting all my skills in low-tech.

It's a fun game. I see why so many people enshrine it the way they do! I just...pphhbt, lose steam.

I've been playing it without any mods, other than fixer to get it to run at all. Should I actually be using biomod, or should I go full vanilla? Back in my STALKER days, I always advised going vanilla (or rather, ZRP fixes-only vanilla) for a first runthrough, and that's how I play pretty much all my games, but I've seen some people who seriously claim that you absolutely shouldn't play DE (1) without biomod, or shifter, to a lesser extent.

Anyone have opinions?

Yeah I'd start with vanilla.

Also, I've played the first hour of DX like 30 times, and I've beaten it exactly once. I think there's something about highly-lethal detail oriented FPSRPGs that does that to you, I kinda get the same thing in New Vegas. And its not good! The best part of these games is not painstakingly dealing with the combat system and fighting against limited saves! Its exploring, and roleplaying, and seeing the story.

So my advise is save-scum like a loving madman, who cares, mash that quicksave button.

And second, (this may be controversial) cheat like crazy if you die more than a couple times in the same zone! You gotta see the rest of the game.
gently caress it who cares if you die more than a few times turn on godmode and get to the next level, then turn it off and save.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I would start vanilla too but on a replay oh man. The addition of mantling alone makes GMDX worth it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I would start vanilla too but on a replay oh man. The addition of mantling alone makes GMDX worth it.
This guy gets it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like that it makes subtle changes without being in your face like Revision. I'm in Paris now and ready to declare GMDX is officially Good.

E: Goddamn everything Chad has to say is so well thought out and relevant today, makes all of IW look like dogshit compared to just those barks.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 22, 2019

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
It's worth remembering that Deus Ex was still in the X-Files era, where you could still get grainy, out-of-focus pictures & video of so called UFOs. I distinctly remember a popular morning breakfast show that had a story about an 'alien autopsy' video, only a few years before Deus Ex being released. All that kind of stuff was super popular and the game reflected a lot of it.

Been playing Mankind Divided and it's pretty decent. I feel that the earlier game was better though.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I'm playing MD too and I think it's my favorite Deus Ex game since the first one. HR was more polished and finished, but I really like how MD has a lot of bonus story/atmosphere/flavor. Like equivalents of Jock's apartment. In HR, all of that stuff was explicitly telegraphed and explicitly acknowledged when you found it, which cheapened it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I have a lot of free time at home coming up in the next couple weeks and an unfinished Mankind Divided that's calling me. I'll probably continue from where I left off, which was somewhere around Prague getting dark, unless I'm totally lost. I downloaded the DLC when it was steeply discounted recently, is it accessible from within the game or from a separate menu? When should I jump into it?

Also I bought Prey for £4, excited to try it after all the high praise it's got itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
All the MD DLC is outside of the main game. Accessed through the menu.