Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Deviant posted:

Any recommendations on a 19" tire for the 2016 Mk7 golf R? Clipped something and I figured I might replace the pair, or do all 4 and keep them as spares.

Edit: Florida. Snow is not a factor but wet can be.

Continental ExtremeContact Sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

pictured: a cool and good thing that happened to my FP8000s

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

willroc7 posted:

Continental ExtremeContact Sports.

Just get the Michelin PS4S

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

Any recommendations on a 19" tire for the 2016 Mk7 golf R? Clipped something and I figured I might replace the pair, or do all 4 and keep them as spares.

Edit: Florida. Snow is not a factor but wet can be.

I've always liked Continental Extremecontact DW (not the DWS which is dry-wet-snow).

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Sure if you hate money and want some frenchie surrender tires.

edit: the EC Sports replace the DW's

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Sure if you hate money and want some frenchie surrender tires.

edit: the EC Sports replace the DW's

Oh really? I didn't know about that. I'll need a new set next summer, thanks.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Yea buddy. Hopefully they improved the treadwear a bit as that was my only complaint on the DW's. I just put my first set of Sports on this summer so we'll see where the tread is at when I put my winter stuff on.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Yea buddy. Hopefully they improved the treadwear a bit as that was my only complaint on the DW's. I just put my first set of Sports on this summer so we'll see where the tread is at when I put my winter stuff on.

I had a track day in the wet when I first got them and the edge lugs on my fronts took a beating from understeer, still running them 3 years later so I guess I can't complain too much.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I was gonna get the PS4S's i think, but for now the other 3 fp8000s have too much tread to throw away. Got a new ohtsu for $90 shipped to call it a day.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 20, 2019

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Who looks at an S7 and is worried about fuel consumption? What’s the point

Official consumption is around 30mpg. I know official consumption figures are bullshit but actual consumption is around 20-23mpg from what I've read. 30 I could cope with, 20 is not gonna swing it for me as it's going to get quite a lot of miles.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
I have the Continental DWS06 and kind of dissappointed and wish I had gotten some Michelins. The Continentals aren't as quiet as I'd like and traction not that impressive. I can't remember but I may not have gotten the Pilots due to concerns about softer sidewalls. I will say I've blown up some pretty bad potholes and the Contis have held up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.fuelly.com/car/audi/s7/2013

lmao average for the 7 people tracking their fuel on their S7 is only 16mpg

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I mean, I got the Q7 TDI for the exact same reasons. Any improvement in Fuel Economy makes it worth while.

I average 25-27MPG where most are doing 19-20. Its a small gain, but a measureable one.

And it seems like the BiTDI is doing some cool performance stuff.

Also: Enjoy a tear wrenching Audi video for the RS6 Avant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8gw8B939Eo

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

okay okay i'll get em once i wear this set down closer to end of life

fuckin $250 a corner jfc

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

fuckin $250 a corner jfc

:allears:

God I wish the ones I'd just gotten were that cheap.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Deviant posted:

fuckin $250 a corner jfc

Counterpoint is taking 90 degree turns flat out like a go cart

BraveUlysses posted:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/audi/s7/2013

lmao average for the 7 people tracking their fuel on their S7 is only 16mpg

I don’t understand going to look at an s7 when you can’t live with it’s fuel consumption but I especially don’t understand the guys tracking this. Drive the nuts off this thing!!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Deviant posted:

fuckin $250 a corner jfc

I like bang for buck tires (19's are always going to be stupid expensive, but they were like $18X each on TRI think)and have heard good things about Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. Buddy put them on his GTI and really likes them.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Counterpoint is taking 90 degree turns flat out like a go cart

I knooooow. :swoon:

i'm gonna buy the PS4S's, but i still have a ton of tread left on these crappy ohtsu fp8000s, and can't really justify $1000+ to replace perfectly good tires.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Deviant posted:

I knooooow. :swoon:

i'm gonna buy the PS4S's, but i still have a ton of tread left on these crappy ohtsu fp8000s, and can't really justify $1000+ to replace perfectly good tires.

You need them for safety reasons. Better stopping distance. Buy now!!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

I don’t understand going to look at an s7 when you can’t live with it’s fuel consumption but I especially don’t understand the guys tracking this. Drive the nuts off this thing!!

Some people actually put lots of highway miles on theirs for job purposes and gas can really add up

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My S8 does 20mpg. If I wanted some econonobox I'd buy one.. or a diesel.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Some people actually put lots of highway miles on theirs for job purposes and gas can really add up

Expense that poo poo!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
TDI is great if you are doing a lot of highway miles.

That's the caveat: You NEED to be doing a lot of highway driving to really benefit. Also, to keep the DEF system clean and working, you also need to be doing a lot of hard driving.

Otherwise, if you are just doing around town, get something else.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Really no poo poo? My point is why are you wasting time to go look at a car that has MPG unacceptable to you

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a 2016 GLI that occasionally takes ~5 seconds to actually start. It cranks the whole time, just doesn't start. It's not throwing any codes and the battery has been tested. Any further suggestions?

It's still under warranty, but the dealer couldn't find a problem since it's intermittent.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Clogged fuel filter or some issue with the fuel pump not priming would be my uneducated guess

Unicom
Mar 29, 2006

Have a 2014 A4 6 speed. Have had no issues with it but over the last few months when I hit a decent sized bump in the road with a little acceleration the throttle seems to give for a split second. Is this normal or am I just paying more attention now?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My buddy with a GTI just sent me this. Affects both of our cars. :geno:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/23/vw-recall-rollaway-risk-679000-cars/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

quote:

For it to be included in the recall, the vehicle must be equipped with an automatic transmission

Well, there's your problem.

I drive an auto, now. :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://jalopnik.com/cheating-volkswagen-diesels-have-become-a-hot-commodity-1837505697

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

My buddy with a GTI just sent me this. Affects both of our cars. :geno:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/23/vw-recall-rollaway-risk-679000-cars/

i thought you had a sport trim model?

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Deviant posted:

fuckin $250 a corner jfc

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 are actually p good

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Can confirm. My wife does a lot of highway driving and the fuel economy is baller. For family trips we can easily go 500 miles on one tank.

I wanted to buy a second one but we need to wait, financially. I eyeball them every day though because it's amazing the price.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 24, 2019

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Are these tdi's reliable? I have been eyeing a sport wagon.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Elephanthead posted:

My husband bought one about a year ago, a 2014 in stick, it's been pretty great so far.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
They are reliable, but to keep the AdBlue system healthy you need to be doing some highway time on average.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

They are reliable, but to keep the AdBlue system healthy you need to be doing some highway time on average.

The only TDIs using AdBlue are the Passat iirc.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elephanthead posted:

I'm wondering how they'd be after sitting in some giant parking lot unused for two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The only TDIs using AdBlue are the Passat iirc.

Later model Jetta's did have them, granted it was the 2015 model year, so yeah your correct.

However, the caveat does remain: TDIs shine best on long highway commutes rather than around town.

Residency Evil posted:

I'm wondering how they'd be after sitting in some giant parking lot unused for two years.

Honestly? The only issue I've seen with the Audi Q7 TDIs that sat is the harmonic balancers might be dry rotted and prematurely fail. Mine has not had this issue yet.

I did notice that someone mounted a hose clip upside down on my Q7, probably during the fix, and it caused it to wear a hole into the boost hose on the driver side.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 24, 2019