Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I created a home Depot online account and when I used my credit card they tied it to all my in-store transactions and put them on my account and now I can see how much I've spent there :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

So our Home Depot is about two miles from our house, and after I start my new job, it will be two blocks from my office. It’s the original urban Home Depot and is very conveniently located. In addition to being the other place I live, it will also become the place where I spend all my lunch breaks and where I always swing by after work. Should I be feeling excitement or dread?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That sounds pretty god drat awesome to me.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there much difference among types of french doors on how much light you can easily block on them?

We've got a sliding glass door in our bedroom I'd like to replace with french doors and attempting to fully block the light while also leaving them usable (most blackout panels aren't easily moved) is a pain. If there's a type of french door that makes this easier I'd definitely prefer to buy it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paint the glass!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Queen Victorian posted:

So our Home Depot is about two miles from our house, and after I start my new job, it will be two blocks from my office. It’s the original urban Home Depot and is very conveniently located. In addition to being the other place I live, it will also become the place where I spend all my lunch breaks and where I always swing by after work. Should I be feeling excitement or dread?

This post makes me think Home Depot needs to start selling beer you can drink while wandering around the store ala all the upscale grocery stores these days.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

This post makes me think Home Depot needs to start selling beer you can drink while wandering around the store ala all the upscale grocery stores these days.

If you don't come to home depot with a tall boy of coors light from the gas station in the parking lot are you even doing home improvement?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Medullah posted:

Have you gone there 3 times in one day yet?

My deepest failure was shopping for a copper pipe to repair a broken section, picking up parts for some other little jobs around the house and forgetting the pipe in my cart when I left. So I got to drive back and buy the same piece a second time while never really taking possession of it a first time.

Second place was buying all the parts for an electrical job that I already had as leftovers from another time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is there much difference among types of french doors on how much light you can easily block on them?

We've got a sliding glass door in our bedroom I'd like to replace with french doors and attempting to fully block the light while also leaving them usable (most blackout panels aren't easily moved) is a pain. If there's a type of french door that makes this easier I'd definitely prefer to buy it.

There are several varieties of French door that have built in blinds. I'm sure they suck at blocking the light as well as a blackout panel, but it's a start.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

StormDrain posted:

My deepest failure was shopping for a copper pipe to repair a broken section, picking up parts for some other little jobs around the house and forgetting the pipe in my cart when I left. So I got to drive back and buy the same piece a second time while never really taking possession of it a first time.

Second place was buying all the parts for an electrical job that I already had as leftovers from another time.

How else do you plan to acquire random piles of parts haphazardly shoved into a toolbox door?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

howdoesishotweb posted:

How else do you plan to acquire random piles of parts haphazardly shoved into a toolbox door?

Also remember that you need to have one drawer completely dedicated to screwdrivers.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Medullah posted:

Also remember that you need to have one drawer completely dedicated to screwdrivers.

What about 10 drawers with one screwdriver each? :ohdear:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gotta have those dull Phillips head drivers for all the screws that refuse to accept a nice sharp head

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Me on my first month of home ownership: Little ticked that the flooring estimate was off by a couple thousand dollars

Me today: lol new roof for $30k who even gives a gently caress

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fallom posted:

Gotta have those dull Phillips head drivers for all the screws that refuse to accept a nice sharp head

You mean JIS? or Pozi? :suicide:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Me on my first month of home ownership: Little ticked that the flooring estimate was off by a couple thousand dollars

Home equity loan, reno-budgeted loan, or just rich?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've just mentally resigned myself to a fate of constant home improvement expenses :negative:

Something new seems to break every week

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm a year into ownership and it's the truth. I've got 4 projects going on at the moment and a long list of things to start on after them already.

I procrastinate on the big projects by doing small one-day projects though, so at least progress is being made somewhere.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If your hose is still the 1400sf you said previously... Uhh I'd shop around. Idk what the market is where you are but I had to also pay to put sheathing on my roof along with that and asphalt shingles for... Much less. Under 10, might have been 8, on a 1020 sf home.

Edit:garage too I forgot so add another 150sf,with gutters included on both.

He saw the M2 in he driveway and realized you are a rube.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 21, 2019

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

its gonna be weird moving to an area where you don't just get insurance to replace the roof due to "hail damage" every ~10 years

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
How many boxes of screws and nails do you guys have? I'm at probably 20 boxes now I think. Everything from framing and structural stuff to small cabinet and moulding things. I always think I have everything I'll ever need but then I find something I need another size or type for.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Like maybe 5? I will happily use outdoor nails on indoor stuff.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I probably have five of screws and two of nails after being in the house a year. My Dad really only ends up buying something when he needs a full multi pound box fr something like deck construction, he probably has 90% of the available sizes on the market on hand. That said, he does just about everything, and his hobby is woodworking.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I started getting water in my finished basement, and I'm pretty sure I understand where it's coming from. In Philly, the gutters and outside drains drain into your houses sewer line. I have an egress well in the front of my house with a drain, and there's a pipe that comes into the sewer line, which runs behind the wall. I can see all of this through a little utility door in my wall, and I can feel the water under the pipe. Anyway, I'm not entirely sure who the best person to contact for this would be. The wall is going to have to get cracked open in order to fix the pipes, so I'm thinking a general contractor? Or would it be a regular plumber? I figure the plumber would handle the pipes, but with needing to (very likely) tear through dry wall to do so, I'm unsure. This is the first kinda major repair I haven't been able to handle myself, I'm a little lost.

Sidebar, is this the kind of thing I could submit an insurance claim for?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hack through the drywall yourself? It's not rocket appliances. Pound a Monster energy drink and punch thru it. Pick up a drywaller later to patch and tape it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Get the gently caress outta my lawn !!!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

drat, he even got a two-fer on one of those traps!

Having a dog is like having mole police.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Hack through the drywall yourself? It's not rocket appliances. Pound a Monster energy drink and punch thru it. Pick up a drywaller later to patch and tape it.

Make sure you know where your studs are or the nearest urgent care who can set a boxers fracture.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Get rid of the grubs in your lawn, then you won't have any moles or skunks that need catchin'.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sirotan posted:

Get rid of the grubs in your lawn, then you won't have any moles or skunks that need catchin'.

Dude I'll be honest, I am early in my lawnkeeping career and I suck at it. Strands just wispy as hell, yellow as can be, thatch like you wouldn't believe

Moss and broadleaf weeds far as the eye can see!

Tons of clover but I like it because the bees and baby rabbits are drawn to it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Grass sucks imho, clover is cool and good. I also honestly really love the look of moss.

Pro tip tho: buy a broadcast spreader. It's going to become extremely helpful for putting down poo poo like the aformentioned grub killer (something like https://www.scotts.com/en-us/products/insect-grub-disease-control/scotts-grubex1, etc, not an endorsement of this product), fertilizer, weed killer, etc. The moles will keep coming back if they have yummy grubs to munch on.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Sirotan posted:

Grass sucks imho, clover is cool and good. I also honestly really love the look of moss.

I don't get the moisture for moss but I really wish I had more clover. Do they make mixes of clover to help diversify a lawn?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Blindeye posted:

I don't get the moisture for moss but I really wish I had more clover. Do they make mixes of clover to help diversify a lawn?

Yup.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MasterGreen-3-lb-Sun-and-Shade-North-Grass-Seed-with-Micro-Clover-HDSSN003/204144472 (This is just a random one I found.)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Looks like you can just go full clover too:

https://www.amazon.com/White-Dutch-Clover-Grass-Seed/dp/B01DM2B0HY
https://cloverlawn.org/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm bad at lawns too, and I'm in a house where it sort of matters. Anyone have a "here's the basics of lawn care" website or something? I already let the lawn get nuked in the heat so 30% of it is brown, so I'm expecting it's done for the summer and I should focus on Fall prep

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Medullah posted:

I'm bad at lawns too, and I'm in a house where it sort of matters. Anyone have a "here's the basics of lawn care" website or something? I already let the lawn get nuked in the heat so 30% of it is brown, so I'm expecting it's done for the summer and I should focus on Fall prep

BROTHER

Same boat here. I was about to throw in the towel and just pay TruGreen $1,000 a year to keep it pristine, but I'd rather save money and do some learning

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

BROTHER

Same boat here. I was about to throw in the towel and just pay TruGreen $1,000 a year to keep it pristine, but I'd rather save money and do some learning

I'm helping my father in law out by producing some internet videos for his garden and feed store. So far we've done clips on lawn fungus, moles, grubs & mole crickets and azalea problems. Most garden centers stock the same stuff he carries. Obviously a majority of lawn and garden problems are regional (we're in the Southeast, if you notice the accent) but he's been in business for 30+ years and is pretty knowledgeable about most yard and plant things.

Our Youtube playlist...maybe some of these will be useful to you guys.

Also a fun fact, in the first video about lawn fungus we're using my yard as the example. :smith:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Whattup my dead grass comrades. I bought a house that had a pristine lawn back when there were weekly rains and mild spring weather, but now the rain is gone and it’s 100+ degrees every day. Most of my lawn is in good condition, but I’d like to learn more about rehabbing the burnt sections and prepping for fall/winter.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

TheWevel posted:

I'm helping my father in law out by producing some internet videos for his garden and feed store. So far we've done clips on lawn fungus, moles, grubs & mole crickets and azalea problems. Most garden centers stock the same stuff he carries. Obviously a majority of lawn and garden problems are regional (we're in the Southeast, if you notice the accent) but he's been in business for 30+ years and is pretty knowledgeable about most yard and plant things.

Our Youtube playlist...maybe some of these will be useful to you guys.

Also a fun fact, in the first video about lawn fungus we're using my yard as the example. :smith:

This owns and I'm officially taking a "Before" picture

Will post an update after a couple weeks of following your tips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Your before is even better than my year after :negative: