Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
"Hey guys, we're just totally legitimate and absolutely normal game development studio Cloud Imperium just kinda 'checking out' the Corsair booth, just like all you other regular guys! How do you do, fellow game developers? Just 'checking out' your booth! Oh, I didn't see you standing there! I have some Star Citizen 'swag' here in this bag, I'm sure the fine Corsair people won't mind if I just... Hey... OK, OK, wait a minute, we have just as much right to 'check out' your booth as anyone els... OUCH OK, OK fine, we're moving, we're moving..."

"Hey guys, we're just totally legitimate and absolutely normal game development studio Cloud Imperium just playing Space Invaders at the next hall over! We have some swag to give away... poo poo, they see us. Move, move, send a new tweet as soon as the new FOB is established!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
CIG at GamesCom

(actual footage)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's probably because of citizencon, they didn't see the point of putting in all the effort the make a booth (and ANOTHER demo) at a show where they'd get a lukewarm reception at best when they have their own event filled only with adoring fans. So it's easier to just have some devs attend the show and post on social media - that takes a minuscule amount of work in comparison.

So what you're saying is because of their glacial pace of game development, and that anything they show has to be hand crafted, doing two conventions is impossible because they can't possibly be tasked with making two fake demos to show how far along they are from last years fake demo?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

The 'Gamescom' logo in the lower left of each picture is what makes it so sad, they want so much to be linked to the event, or to be seen as actual 'devs of a product', but deep down they know that Carl from security is watching them, and positioning other guards in such a fashion as to expedite CI(not G)'s departure from the event as quickly and fuss free as possible.

I just wish I was at that event, purely to approach the reps and enquire about their completed product and ask if they have any merch at their stall. I'm a big meanie like that. :D

Seriously and without any ill will, I wonder if there are any other 'games devs' doing what the CI(not G) peeps are doing there?

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 22, 2019

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sabreseven posted:

The 'Gamescom' logo in the lower left of each picture is what makes it so sad, they want so much to be linked to the event, or to be seen as actual 'devs of a product', but deep down they know that Carl from security is watching them, and positioning other guards in such a fashion as to expedite CI(not G)'s departure from the event as quickly and fuss free as possible.

I just wish I was at that event, purely to approach the reps and enquire about their completed product and ask if they have any merch at their stall. I'm a big meanie like that. :D

That has always irked me about them. I imagine you need to actually be able to participate with the event and pay them to have permission to use their logo as a marketing tool. I may be wrong, but it's just one more scummy tactic they do to look legitimate without actually being legitimate.

It's like passing off "look at our fake alien language" as progress on a video games codebase instead of making actual progress. Or "remember when" twitter posts like their game not only came out, but can be referenced as a classic that had big events people can remember fondly.

Your dumb jank filled game hasn't even come out yet. There is no "remember when" unless it's about the slow pace of making a game over the course of a decade and having virtually nothing still at the end of that time.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Did Chris ask Mr Calders if they can have a booth and he said no they can't have one get on with the loving game.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The Titanic posted:

That has always irked me about them. I imagine you need to actually be able to participate with the event and pay them to have permission to use their logo as a marketing tool. I may be wrong, but it's just one more scummy tactic they do to look legitimate without actually being legitimate.

It's like passing off "look at our fake alien language" as progress on a video games codebase instead of making actual progress. Or "remember when" twitter posts like their game not only came out, but can be referenced as a classic that had big events people can remember fondly.

Your dumb jank filled game hasn't even come out yet. There is no "remember when" unless it's about the slow pace of making a game over the course of a decade and having virtually nothing still at the end of that time.

The big reveal at Citcon will be the announcement of Star Citizen Classic, to revitalize interest in the brand.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Or if you prefer; the unified Toerag

Edit: These are kinda handy to find out what he's not mad about. At all.

Where do you make these, anyway? I might have asked in a previous thread, but I forgot

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Golli posted:

The big reveal at Citcon will be the announcement of Star Citizen Classic, to revitalize interest in the brand.

Star Citizen: Royale Marine

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Personally, I think its very weird that a company receives $46 million dollars for marketing and doesn't get a booth at Gamescom.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

There's more games about me on steam than you can imagine. Feel free to buy one and walk down my bare naked insides. :sureboat:

I don't really feel like we have that kind of relationship, so I will take the gentlemanly route and decline.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

It doesn't get any more ironic than tailgaiting a convention to plug your dumpster fire game while wearing shirts promoting your totally dead module in said game.

Why not send them in Squadron 42 shirts Chris? That one's coming up quick right? Riiiiiiiight?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's bonkers that SQ42 has a hard deadline release next year and they still don't have enough to actually show anything at a major games convention. I mean of course they don't have anything to show, but the fact that Citizens don't see how that's a pretty huge red flag is something else.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bofast posted:

Where do you make these, anyway? I might have asked in a previous thread, but I forgot

I lashed together something that acts as a repo for interesting blobs of text and use https://pypi.org/project/wordcloud/ for the actual production.

The sentiment analysis works off the same repo of fun, but it stopped working recently, and I have deadlines. I'll fix it sometime in the next week, because it's an interesting use of google compute.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Personally, I think its very weird that a company receives $46 million dollars for marketing and doesn't get a booth at Gamescom.

They're doing a more organic and synergistic marketing path than the old corporate route that most of the older and monolithic games industry has gone down. It'll probably involve stickers, because who the gently caress doesn't like stickers.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

FailureToReport posted:

It doesn't get any more ironic than tailgaiting a convention to plug your dumpster fire game while wearing shirts promoting your totally dead module in said game.

Why not send them in Squadron 42 shirts Chris? That one's coming up quick right? Riiiiiiiight?

Squadron 42 shirts or anything with the Star Citizen logo will get them looks and laughs, Arena Commander is so unpopular that nobody will give it a second look. They'll just assume it's some free to play mobile game that nobody has ever heard of.

The proper outfit would be trench coats so they can open them up and whisper to passerbys "hey kid, want some free pins? We just need your credit card information..."

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Scruffpuff posted:

"Hey guys, we're just totally legitimate and absolutely normal game development studio Cloud Imperium just kinda 'checking out' the Corsair booth, just like all you other regular guys! How do you do, fellow game developers? Just 'checking out' your booth! Oh, I didn't see you standing there! I have some Star Citizen 'swag' here in this bag, I'm sure the fine Corsair people won't mind if I just... Hey... OK, OK, wait a minute, we have just as much right to 'check out' your booth as anyone els... OUCH OK, OK fine, we're moving, we're moving..."

"Hey guys, we're just totally legitimate and absolutely normal game development studio Cloud Imperium just playing Space Invaders at the next hall over! We have some swag to give away... poo poo, they see us. Move, move, send a new tweet as soon as the new FOB is established!"

After security clears away the CIG "reps" one of the booth workers notice a note on the floor:

HELP! Please I'm trapped at CIG and need to get out!

P.S. Are you hiring?

P.P.S I've attached my Resume

P.P.P.S Here is my LinkedIn

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Strangler 42 posted:

Squadron 42 shirts or anything with the Star Citizen logo will get them looks and laughs, Arena Commander is so unpopular that nobody will give it a second look.

Hypothetical question: What's our highest resolution oldman_parp?

If I'm going to be accused of being some form of vidya-game fifth column, I demand a T-shirt.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Yeah, didn't manage to find any CInotG employees whilst in Gamescom. I was at the business area (where they would definitely not be) most of the time because there was free beer and spirits and the amount of people was manageable. The normal area was just jam packed with huge masses of people, so after taking a good look on the all the entertaiment areas the first day, I just retreated to business area. The Planet Zoo "booth" was p. awesome though.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hazamuth posted:

most of the time because there was free beer and spirits

_priorities_.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Quavers posted:

This is just getting sadder and sadder :saddowns:

The Space Invaders one actually made me visit twitter to confirm you FUDsters were not making poo poo up. And drat, that poo poo is sad.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
so my brother comes in
he: “did you hear about this ai that
me: “is it talktotransformer?“
he: “yes“

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
One of our deep cover goons needs to post a question on why the CIG "reps" were wearing Arena shirts from half a decade ago and not Squadron 42 shirts.

I mean as the greatest marketing genius, surely building excitement about the first AAAA game in history would be a home run?

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Hav posted:

_priorities_.

Yeah, I was more excited before we left but somehow I just couldn't get my hype up. Bannerlord was probably the only thing I was eager to try, but even for that I didn't have the time. Otherwise it was just gameplay videos and trailers which I can see at my own convenience once I get back or the possibility of waiting an hour to play something I would play when it comes out, so ehh I can wait. Was a good trip businesswise though so I am elated about that.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

I lashed together something that acts as a repo for interesting blobs of text and use https://pypi.org/project/wordcloud/ for the actual production.

The sentiment analysis works off the same repo of fun, but it stopped working recently, and I have deadlines. I'll fix it sometime in the next week, because it's an interesting use of google compute.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1164627910600224768

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 22, 2019

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNNj97HznUU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:monocle:

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

I knew his hair reminded me of someone:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
back in the days ci wanted to sweep the floor with other “so-so“ game studios
EXCEPT maybe Rockstar
but gamedev is haaard...
now they play space invaders at gamescom (and would be happy to be on par with the others)
thats just crazy!

Sectopod posted:

I knew his hair reminded me of someone:

drat thats spot on! i had the same feeling but couldnt quite nail it down.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 22, 2019

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

wow i wonder if the ships will actually go inside the carrier

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Quavers posted:

Star Citizen: Royale Marine

100 dollars jump out of the wallet

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Oh, I like the detail of landing pads lowering when they spacejump, that's nice. This will work nicely with the podcast-background game that Elite is, seeing how slow the ship moves. So now that's 3 big space games with carriers, Elite, NMS and EVE.
Meanwhile Star Citizen still making land based vehicles, drat.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

It's bonkers that SQ42 has a hard deadline release next year and they still don't have enough to actually show anything at a major games convention. I mean of course they don't have anything to show, but the fact that Citizens don't see how that's a pretty huge red flag is something else.

Pssst... they deadline is for the "beta". Everything is fine. Buy more ships.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So... Frontier's financials are public, right? How much money have those losers made since the release of E:D using their stupid strategy of making and then releasing games?

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity

e: nevermind. this citizen is wrong. this says october 2010. likely to be just incorrect server time

Awesome Fidelity fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 22, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

trucutru posted:

Pssst... they deadline is for the "beta". Everything is fine. Buy more ships.

Beta means feature complete testing. So unless CIG twists the meaning of Beta a LOT, that would indeed be a very big milestone for SQ42 - the game would essentially have to be mostly finished.

Although to be fair they're already stretching the definition of "Alpha" by letting customers playtest it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

...that's 2010, not 2018, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Beta means feature complete testing. So unless CIG twists the meaning of Beta

And Chris has already said that SC will never be "complete" so its Beta cannot be (by definition) feature complete. You obviously know nothing of software development. You're dismissed.