Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Like things aren't totally better or anything, but holy poo poo is it nice to see her up and walking and talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
SHE WANTED TO SEE HIM AAAA
Guts...... :smith:

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

It's nice to see Casca regaining her self after all these years. It seems to have come at a cost though, which is not surprising tbh. I wonder how the group will be able to progress from here when the mere sight of Guts is such an issue. Can they even effectively travel together now?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zeruel posted:

SHE WANTED TO SEE HIM AAAA
Guts...... :smith:

It would’ve been less painful if she just didn’t want anything to do with him :smith:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't have much to say except that I loved this chapter, this is the happiest I've been with (and the most I've looked forward to more) Berserk in years.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Skull Knight in the background should have just been “I told you soooooooooo”

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe if Guts wears a mask it won't be so bad.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Haha all the self referential breaking of the fourth wall, everything short of an apology. :)

But yeah it seems like the choices are for Guts to take off his armor or leave... so what's gonna happen when the moon child shows up and turns into Griffith?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It seems sadly fitting that those two still have gut-wrenching nightmares separating them. At least the marbles are truly back.

So it's also been a year-ish since they gave her the makeover. Did the magic healing give her back all her muscle tone, or is it time for a Rocky montage where she punches meat and puck barks at her in a beanie?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
In before guts takes off on his own and the narrative switches to the gang tracking him down, leaving Casca as the new main character dealing with her emotional poo poo

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Casca is amazing and I love her and I'm both happy and sad for her and Guts and omg JUDEAU my darling 😭😭😭

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ok when can we get back to Griffith fighting fantasy monsters.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

In before guts takes off on his own and the narrative switches to the gang tracking him down, leaving Casca as the new main character dealing with her emotional poo poo

I’ve been plugging for a black swordswoman arc for years

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Must be weird for Casca to just perfectly remember her life as an adult baby.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Oh hey, it's Casca! :unsmith:

Oh.
... Oh, yeah... :smith:

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
I feel so old to have finally seen Casca speak again, litterly decades have gone by...this is probably what it feels like to have your child go off to collage.

Stand by for Crazy Theory time...

It seems to be that the going theory is that skull knight has been around so long because of his burning hatred of void, or his magic armor or some such thing. But what if, his longevity is due to elf island time fuckery?

If he spent a long time on the island between his stent as king Garic(sp?) and the contemporary events maybe he is living something approaching a human life span.

I mean I guess it could be both...

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Koalas March posted:

Casca is amazing and I love her and I'm both happy and sad for her and Guts and omg JUDEAU my darling 😭😭😭

Absolute same. It’s bittersweet but at least she’s back, and she can at least talk to Guts.

and yes omg JUDEAU 😭😭😭

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
He eats behelits without chewing and his eyes are reduced to glowing red beads that float in what seems to be a hollow suit of horrors and spiky bits. I'm not expecting more than a mummified skeleton with anger issues.

I do hope we get at least a passing explanation of what's in there if not a full on stripping of it off in an epic battle.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Casca's forest armour looks amazing, Isidro being hyped to train with her was great, Yoda Puck owns, but holy poo poo that punch to the stomach of what she's going through and Gut's reaction is really rough.

Feels so surreal being at this part of the story.

Also still love reading this manga, Miura's framing style and flow can be really easy to read, and panels are genuinely interesting to pour over.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 23, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I legit want to cry at this chapter.

Casca's back and then the ending is just intensely heart breaking. Guts' face...

Miura bro please relent even for one chapter

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
The story is in sort of an awkward place, because the narrative has confronted Casca's trauma but this is the first time she has herself, let alone had the chance to process it.

Meanwhile we've had like decades to do that as readers and we just want to see her get better. It's great how supportive of her everyone is though :unsmith:

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
I knew it was coming with Guts and Casca meeting again but that didn't make it any less of a gut punch. Jesus this chapter was so good.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm optimistic. Yeah it's heartbreaking to see Guts and Casca can't interact, but she's back! Her fighting skill is undiminished, she's getting along with everyone. She'll heal from her trauma as the Faire Queen said. In her own time.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Haha all the self referential breaking of the fourth wall, everything short of an apology. :)

But yeah it seems like the choices are for Guts to take off his armor or leave... so what's gonna happen when the moon child shows up and turns into Griffith?

Isn't Guts stuck in the armor forever due to the wound Slan give him? I'd be gobsmacked if he left again. His two worst mistakes were walking away from his friends. He might try and the group stops him, but I just can't see it happening for a third time.

Also my wild theory on Becchi is it's destined for Sonia. She'll sacrifice Mule to become an Apostle in a futile attempt to win Griffith's love.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

OhFunny posted:

Isn't Guts stuck in the armor forever due to the wound Slan give him?
He's taken it off a few times, though there may belong-term issues that we haven't seen.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I think that Skull Knight wears the beta version of Guts' armour, right? My theory is that he didn't have someone to pull him back from the edge when the helmet went on, where he got a skull instead of a dog head. The armour takes vitality from the wearer (isn't that why Guts has a dash of white hair?) , I assumed that if you keep fighting and don't take it off, it takes your life energy until you and the armour become one.

Also how many of those meta jokes are Miura and how many are translator?

Miura's anguished faces continue to improve. loving hell.

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 23, 2019

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Cavelcade posted:

Also how many of those meta jokes are Miura and how many are translator?

Those are 0% me and 100% Miura.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Casca :smith:

I agree with the general consensus that it's nice to see Casca is immediately ready for action even if it's kind of silly, but on the other hand is she really? It's not just Guts causing her trauma: the mere thought of Judeau caused her to go into a violent panic attack. I would assume then that the sight of any demon, let alone an apostle, would trigger a similar if not worse reaction, yes? Even if she still has all her fighting prowess it won't do her much good if she loses it the second she lays eyes on the enemy.

I'm kinda wondering how Miura is going to handle the whole Casca trauma angle without either a) it causing her to continue to be useless, or b) having it resolved too quickly. Ditto for the fact that as things stand she and Guts effectively can't travel together. Maybe Guts fucks off on his own again? That's never really worked out well for him though.

Cavelcade posted:

I think that Skull Knight wears the beta version of Guts' armour, right? My theory is that he didn't have someone to pull him back from the edge when the helmet went on, where he got a skull instead of a dog head. The armour takes vitality from the wearer (isn't that why Guts has a dash of white hair?) , I assumed that if you keep fighting and don't take it off, it takes your life energy until you and the armour become one.

He at one point wore Guts' exact armor for sure: there's a scene where Schierke tells a story about how her master used to fondly look at the armor and Skull Knight admits he used to wear it. There's also definitely a parasitic relationship between Guts and the armor, Skully flat out tells him that if he keeps drawing out the armor's power he's going to slowly lose himself to it - IIRC Guts is already dealing with blurry vision, loss of taste, and muscle atrophy in addition to his wicked white hair streak.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

LordMune posted:

Just :dudsmile:’d IRL when I read this

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I forgot to click send...?

The Behelit seems to respond most to despair and anguish. Simple loss may be sufficient, but historically it seems like a state of constant torture matters. Right now there appear to be two people who qualify: Guts and Casca.

Also remember that people have actually asked about the Behelits, what they are, and how they work. Almost as if they're planning to leverage it... :clint:

LordMune posted:

As always, many thanks. Does Azan really say "Let's roll!"? Seems a bit out of character, or I've forgotten his demeanor.

Edit: I humbly accept your explanation below. I knew there had to be some idiomatic speech happening, but I've indeed missed the bubble placement. As to the literal, quasi "let's get this show on the road"... :laugh:

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 24, 2019

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Casca sacrifices Guts and Guts goes with it so she can get retribution on Griffith
Black Swordswoman arc begins :black101:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

As always, many thanks. Does Azan really say "Let's roll!"? Seems a bit out of character, or I've forgotten his demeanor.

It's Isidro saying it, with unfortunate word balloon placement. He's using Japanese (internet) slang that means "let's get this shitshow on the shitroad" has no good English equivalent in context, to urge on/thank Casca.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

LordMune posted:

What a king.

Thanks for the awesome translation.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I'll be forever thankful that somehow, Isidro is immune to the utter horror that is the world of Berserk

Here comes idiot kid samurai, truckin' along, sailing right past trauma train

He's basically missed the memo and still thinks he's in a shonen manga

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I knew it was going to be heavy, but man...was not expecting a "Oh, I remember everything that happened, you guys are awesome! Oh! It's Guts! I like Guts! Let's go talk to Guts and...." *boom TRAUMA

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

I'll be forever thankful that somehow, Isidro is immune to the utter horror that is the world of Berserk

Here comes idiot kid samurai, truckin' along, sailing right past trauma train

He's basically missed the memo and still thinks he's in a shonen manga

e: wrong character lol

ee: rereading the chapter... even his voice sets her off...

:negative:

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 27, 2019

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Wait, the breakdown isn't caused by Guts specifically, right? It's just caused by anything related to the Eclipse, which Guts is a huge part of. Unless that's why she just started hyperventilating at the thought of Judeau but didn't collapse and start screaming till Guts talked.

Also, related:
https://twitter.com/gonshairline/status/1163937592917811200

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Wait, the breakdown isn't caused by Guts specifically, right? It's just caused by anything related to the Eclipse, which Guts is a huge part of. Unless that's why she just started hyperventilating at the thought of Judeau but didn't collapse and start screaming till Guts talked.

Also, related:
https://twitter.com/gonshairline/status/1163937592917811200

That look appears to have been started by Stanley Kubrick. It's in all of his movies when people are at their deepest into their psychotic break. It may have been seen earlier in film/art but from what I read he's the one who popularized it in his movies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Clockwork Orange the anime.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
That would be so awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t