Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Also, any goon Steam friends want to run on this sucker. My handle's Memnaelar if so. Sadly few of my rl friends seem to be interested in this game's pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

big nipples big life posted:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

they're creepy looking little shits and pretty neat as trash mobs, but when you're fighting a one-shotting charging melee boss in a constricted arena, :mad:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I had -14 rot resist in that fight ama :eng99:

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Help I just arrived at the swamp area and no primary gun seems as awesome as the Coach Gun

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You're doing it right. Did you get the root shotgun yet?

(I love a Ruin and the beam rifle though, mmmmm)

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Having fun with the game playing with my roommate but I crash all the time on ps4 and he only has once. 7 times so far me

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

just did the horde defense 'boss' to protect the two liz characters and one died and the other doesn't want to talk to me and i assume i missed out on the chance to get a key to access a weapon behind a door in the boss arena because the other liz doesn't want anything to do with me

not really sure i'm a fan of that, especially when the ai for npcs seems to be janky as poo poo at times and there was basically nothing i could do to prevent it. and there's no redoing it, either. :smith:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Baller Time posted:

Help I just arrived at the swamp area and no primary gun seems as awesome as the Coach Gun

I hated the coach gun actually. I’m rolling with the hunting rifle and I’m sad the assault rifle dungeon didn’t roll on my earth instance.

Also, the spitfire flamethrower mode is super loving powerful. On the Shatter and Shade fight one full burst of flames took down half of one of the bosses’ health for me.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 23, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm doing nightmare and I'm still using the shotgun, you can pry it from my cold, dead hands (that should be easy I spend a lot of time dead)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Coach Gun was alright until I got the assault rifle. This game seems to share a problem with Dark Souls, at least for my preferences, that the boss weapon's I've got on my play through haven't really impressed me compared to the standard stuff.

Coach gun feels great though, also really like the repeater pistol. Pretty satisfying unloading a clip as fast as you can hit the trigger.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Gorefist is this game's Capra Demon. I'd fight him over Ixillis any time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gently caress, how was i supposed to know that singe's tail was its weak point to break for an extra drop and not its chest which literally had a giant glowing spot

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

Coach Gun was alright until I got the assault rifle. This game seems to share a problem with Dark Souls, at least for my preferences, that the boss weapon's I've got on my play through haven't really impressed me compared to the standard stuff.

Coach gun feels great though, also really like the repeater pistol. Pretty satisfying unloading a clip as fast as you can hit the trigger.

Yeah, most of the starter weapons are useful in basically every situation whereas a majority of the boss weapons are only useful in very specific situations. My favorite of the starters is the hunting rifle. I will say that the Devastator crossbow is pretty incredible for most situations if you have maxed the reload speed trait and wear the artifact that gives you faster reload speed, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

gently caress, how was i supposed to know that singe's tail was its weak point to break for an extra drop and not its chest which literally had a giant glowing spot

If it's makes you feel better it's not an extra drop, it's an either or situation. The game is stacked deep on rerolling that campaign, or doing the adventure mode they are working on.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

How long does it take to beat the game? Is there a lot of replayability?

Orv
May 4, 2011

ketchup vs catsup posted:

How long does it take to beat the game? Is there a lot of replayability?

If you went straight through and did the absolute minimum to beat the game - no optional dungeons, etc - I'd say you're looking at 8-10 hours, maybe a little less if you're Good At Vidgumes. If you do everything in your campaign you're looking at more like 12-15, maybe a little more.

Realistically the replay value is determinate on how much you like playing the game at a base level. The replay value is in rerolling your campaign to get new dungeons/setpieces and new weapons, armor and mods thereby. Each world, of which there are four, currently has two possible end bosses, four possible mid-bosses, a variety of dungeon end bosses and somewhere around 10 dungeons each. Since it's randomized you're not going to get everything in three runs of the game so the replay value is there if you want it, but it's not necessarily inherent.

For my money I only just beat the game for the first time last night after 24 hours played, because I'm the sort of brain case that likes unraveling game mechanics and secrets and loving with stuff like this. It doesn't hurt that the basic gameplay is extremely solid.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Orv posted:

If you went straight through and did the absolute minimum to beat the game - no optional dungeons, etc - I'd say you're looking at 8-10 hours, maybe a little less if you're Good At Vidgumes. If you do everything in your campaign you're looking at more like 12-15, maybe a little more.

Realistically the replay value is determinate on how much you like playing the game at a base level. The replay value is in rerolling your campaign to get new dungeons/setpieces and new weapons, armor and mods thereby. Each world, of which there are four, currently has two possible end bosses, four possible mid-bosses, a variety of dungeon end bosses and somewhere around 10 dungeons each. Since it's randomized you're not going to get everything in three runs of the game so the replay value is there if you want it, but it's not necessarily inherent.

For my money I only just beat the game for the first time last night after 24 hours played, because I'm the sort of brain case that likes unraveling game mechanics and secrets and loving with stuff like this. It doesn't hurt that the basic gameplay is extremely solid.

I'm already 40 hours deep with 2 completions and an absurd amount of Earth and Rhom runs from playing in friends' games. Game is good.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Orv posted:

on both of my earth runthroughs there were exactly two dungeons, two mid bosses, one real boss and one earth mother. the bosses were identical. the gameplay is fine but the randomization aspect of this game kinda sucks rear end

Orv
May 4, 2011

Verviticus posted:

on both of my earth runthroughs there were exactly two dungeons, two mid bosses, one real boss and one earth mother. the bosses were identical. the gameplay is fine but the randomization aspect of this game kinda sucks rear end

You missed at minimum two dungeons, there's three in each of the two sections before and after the church (though I think it's possible for the map to disallow that). But yeah, an unfortunate part of it being a 50/50 chance for the world boss and a 1/4 for the mid-bosses means you have a pretty good chance of just getting the same again. Though I will note that mid-bosses (Gorefist, Shroud, The Unclean One, Claviger) are distinct from dungeon events of which there are quite a few per planet.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 23, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Orv posted:

If it's makes you feel better it's not an extra drop, it's an either or situation. The game is stacked deep on rerolling that campaign, or doing the adventure mode they are working on.

wait, seriously? i assumed it was an extra thing on top of the normal drop. weird.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

wait, seriously? i assumed it was an extra thing on top of the normal drop. weird.

Yeah, if you kill Singed without breaking his tail you get Spitfire, an SMG. If you break his tail and then kill him you get Smolder, a sword. Many world bosses have this setup and quite a few of the mid-bosses do as well, though some either don't or haven't been discovered yet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm still salty about probably being locked out of the assault rifle on my world but i guess i feel better about it if boss drops just work like that instead of me missing something else. i know i can co-op in random worlds for stuff but it's a crapshoot either way. ran into the ent in someone else's world and uhhhh we couldn't take down that fucker. that boss kind of sucks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The AR is neat but I almost immediately went back to the Hunting Rifle, like I have done with every single other primary.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Don't sweat not getting something in your world; the default starting weapons are absolutely fine to the very end, and you're going to want to mess around with more than one runthrough anyway because the game is not insanely long and there's a lot of cool stuff you probably haven't seen since it didn't pop in your first world.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Orv posted:

Thanks for the writeup, this sounds like extremely my poo poo.

How’s the loot progression? Is there enough variety that you can try multiple approaches?

Orv
May 4, 2011

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Thanks for the writeup, this sounds like extremely my poo poo.

How’s the loot progression? Is there enough variety that you can try multiple approaches?

Loot is all hand built. These numbers are semi-asspulls and also I just have a bad memory but they're in the ballpark;

• 12 primaries
  • 8 secondaries
  • 10 melee
  • 15 rings (two slots)
  • 10 amulets
  • 10 armor sets
  • 15 mods

All gained through various methods and all of which do fairly different things. There's definitely room and variation to find a loadout you like but it's not ARPG loot.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 23, 2019

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Orv posted:

The AR is neat but I almost immediately went back to the Hunting Rifle, like I have done with every single other primary.

Hunting rifle best primary. I’d use the sniper rifle more to hit those weak points but you can do that about 90% as efficiently with the hunting rifle without any of the sniper limitations.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Orv posted:

I’ve tried every gun I’ve come across so far and the hunting rifle / revolver combo are my favourite so far.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Diephoon posted:

Gorefist is this game's Capra Demon. I'd fight him over Ixillis any time.

I just fought Ixillis and I still died way more to Gorefist. Granted, I was still trying to get used to the game and by the time I got to Ixillis I had several of the 60 minute buffs I could use. Ixillis did pretty much the same pattern every time, once I got the pattern it wasn't too bad.

I just unlocked the +Crit% trait, wish I had some of these points I threw into whatever back :smith:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

clone on the phone posted:

I’ve tried every gun I’ve come across so far and the hunting rifle / revolver combo are my favourite so far.

Have you heard the good word of Ruin, the best rifle in the game? Undying is super handy at all stages of the game and player count, and the rifle handles like a dream.

Did I mention that it also has a scope?

The revolver is pretty much the best in slot for secondaries.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

Have you heard the good word of Ruin, the best rifle in the game? Undying is super handy at all stages of the game and player count, and the rifle handles like a dream.

Ruin plus rattleweed makes you completely unkillable.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So I'm at a point in the game where two npcs want a thing and I've given it to one. Do I have to go back and kill the other to progress the story or is there something I'm missing? Because killing him may take some grind...

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Welp, my second play through might not happen because I don't think I can beat the final boss solo. Has anyone in here done it? Is it even possible to dodge his first attack in the 2nd phase without extra players? Tried probably 10 times and can't out run or dodge it and it's enough damage that it just one shots me.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Memnaelar posted:

So I'm at a point in the game where two npcs want a thing and I've given it to one. Do I have to go back and kill the other to progress the story or is there something I'm missing? Because killing him may take some grind...

Either that or restart your world, yes.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

katkillad2 posted:

Welp, my second play through might not happen because I don't think I can beat the final boss solo. Has anyone in here done it? Is it even possible to dodge his first attack in the 2nd phase without extra players? Tried probably 10 times and can't out run or dodge it and it's enough damage that it just one shots me.

I did him solo. If you can't outsprint that attack it means you're in heavy or worse armor weight tier. At medium or light you a sprint will result in 0 damage, without any timing or effort needed whatsoever. Put on some lighter armor or the armor weight reduction amulet and you'll be fine.

It's actually kinda annoying, because it makes the heavier armor unusable without that amulet, so what's even the point of having the higher-than-medium weight classes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my boss drop woes were a moot point anyways since i tagged along with my friend in co-op who also had singe and he wanted the tail drop so we got that. now that we're on the brink of going to other worlds, does the game really start to open up in terms of build and whatever at that point? i'm digging it already but having a lot to look forward to would be dope.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Been playing this for an hour or so and I've got real difficulty getting into the right rhythm. Playing it like a Souls game doesn't work but trying to play it like a regular shooter also doesn't really work. I've been getting some good result so far trying to treat this like Resident Evil 4 - don't move a lot, use shot to stagger, that kind of thing.

What's everyone's take on that so far?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Cardiovorax posted:

Been playing this for an hour or so and I've got real difficulty getting into the right rhythm. Playing it like a Souls game doesn't work but trying to play it like a regular shooter also doesn't really work. I've been getting some good result so far trying to treat this like Resident Evil 4 - don't move a lot, use shot to stagger, that kind of thing.

What's everyone's take on that so far?

In my head it feels like I'm playing something between a Souls game and Diablo. Unforgiving enemies like a Souls game, but a lot of quick positioning and target switching like Diablo - at least with the ex cultist starting load out (which I have not seen fit to change).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, another hour later, the whole "pretend like it's RE4" approach has definitely been working out for me. It might look like it's trying to be a Soulslike, but it really doesn't play like one at all. Lots and lots of enemies that are easily staggered with the occasional big one that you really have to unload into.

I'm honestly not really having fun, though. I don't think I'm keeping this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Drewjitsu posted:

Can I kill the dude who drops Ruin after I already talked to him and accepted his quest?