Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

John Murdoch posted:

...log in for five minutes to make yet another dumb joke character and then immediately log back out...

Yesterday I built Battlechimp Potemkin. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I brought it up before, but any goons too lazy to make your own base or set it up with Teleporters are more than welcome to use mine.
It also has handy crafting, tailor, buff station and quartermaster. It also works for either side.
And now new and improved thanks to Sufficient is a handy macro.

/macroimage Veteran_TeleportBase "BaseTP" "enterbasefrompasscode sa-906"

Just pop that in your chat and you'll not only get a nifty icon that will teleport you to my base from pretty much anywhere, but it unlike the one you buy or even the ouro portal it is instant and also works while flying.

e: of course you can also change this to work with your own if you want, but whatever, its there to use.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 17, 2019

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
Like Ognar said, the best part of it is that it’s instant! Also, no need to worry about zones you can’t teleport to through Ouroboros because all his portals are set up brain dead enough for even me to figure out!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Speaking of Ouroboros, if you find yourself doing the Citadel Task Force for some godforsaken reason, Citadel pretty much bounces from Talos to IP and sends you off to the rear end-end of both often enough that you should probably just hop on your time snake from inside the mission to save time coming out and realizing you need it anyway.

Doon
May 4, 2005
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

OgNar posted:

I brought it up before, but any goons too lazy to make your own base or set it up with Teleporters are more than welcome to use mine.
It also has handy crafting, tailor, buff station and quartermaster. It also works for either side.
And now new and improved thanks to Sufficient is a handy macro.

/macroimage Veteran_TeleportBase "BaseTP" "enterbasefrompasscode sa-906"

Just pop that in your chat and you'll not only get a nifty icon that will teleport you to my base from pretty much anywhere, but it unlike the one you buy or even the ouro portal it is instant and also works while flying.

e: of course you can also change this to work with your own if you want, but whatever, its there to use.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/cr2x7x/psa_no_cooldown_instant_base_teleporter_via_base/ex4oqtx/?context=3

quote:

Don't get used to it, this command is not supposed to be enabled for players, only for GMs. It will be removed in a future patch. I'm not rushing to get rid of it right this second, other things have priority, but it'll happen eventually.
:mad:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

That just makes me wonder what other "GM Only" commands they might've hosed up the permissions on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
bug tho it may be, seems like nice QoL thing that doesnt really need patching out

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I can see why maybe they don't want people to have an instant teleport, with no cooldown, that can be used in combat, from anywhere including inside other bases and inside missions.

There's already a few easy ways to get a power that teleports you to your base, even if it does have a super long cooldown that maybe they could reduce a bit.

What I want to know is if the command could actually work to teleport you to other zones too if you just knew the right code to put in, because I'm not sure why the GMs would need an instant transmission that only takes them to supergroup bases. What are you hiding, GMs? What are the bases! I knew that "Suprano's Pizza" place was shifty looking!

VoidTek fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 20, 2019

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The teleport to base power from P2W should:

1) Have a cooldown of about 5 minutes.

or

2) Be upgradeable by buying more of it (similar to how you can buy extra hours of xp boost) to get it down to around there.

Same goes for the other powers actually, teleport team to mission, recall team, etc.

It would be something to spend all your extra influence on.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Spanish Matlock posted:

Who has extra influence??
I still have 2 more tabs of alts to enhance.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

The teleport to base power from P2W should:

1) Have a cooldown of about 5 minutes.

or

2) Be upgradeable by buying more of it (similar to how you can buy extra hours of xp boost) to get it down to around there.

Same goes for the other powers actually, teleport team to mission, recall team, etc.

hasten and recharge works on it so it only has like a 10 minute cd

also the real problem with that poo poo is its long-rear end "animation"

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Ali Aces posted:

That just makes me wonder what other "GM Only" commands they might've hosed up the permissions on.

I remember at the live game’s shutdown there was a GM command that could take you to any zone in the game, even the weird blank ones left over by mistake.

The reason I remember this is because I used it to go to Vinceland, a map that then spammed the whole server about an error in Vinceland. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Judgement posted:

I can see why maybe they don't want people to have an instant teleport, with no cooldown, that can be used in combat, from anywhere including inside other bases and inside missions.

This. Also probably works in PVP.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I remember at the live game’s shutdown there was a GM command that could take you to any zone in the game, even the weird blank ones left over by mistake.

The reason I remember this is because I used it to go to Vinceland, a map that then spammed the whole server about an error in Vinceland. :v:

Is Vinceland the one that's just a big square of grass with a single pre-fab building surrounded by war walls or I am thinking of a different test/whatever map?

Still would love to see them go back and clean up and re-release the weird jumping puzzle map that I think was used like, once, at an E3 or something, and then never seen again.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Not really a GM command. You used a long range teleporter, then when the prompt is on screen, type a command into the chatbar. I'll see if I can dig it up. You can use this to teleport to any map that exists, including abandoned ones like the real Galaxy City.

A dude posted:

Still would love to see them go back and clean up and re-release the weird jumping puzzle map that I think was used like, once, at an E3 or something, and then never seen again.

Huh?

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Gynovore posted:

Not really a GM command. You used a long range teleporter, then when the prompt is on screen, type a command into the chatbar. I'll see if I can dig it up. You can use this to teleport to any map that exists, including abandoned ones like the real Galaxy City.

Yeah, I did this near the shutdown and took a bunch of pictures of every zone people knew of at the time. The original RWZ was maybe the most interesting zone, and even that was pretty boring overall.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

It's basically a big Shadow Shard-esque void dotted with tech lab platforms precariously placed in a roughly linear path. If I'm remembering it right, it was used as some kind of contest at cons for a brief time; clear the obstacle course win a prize type stuff.

Edit: Doesn't seem to be readily referenced in the files anymore, much like Vinceland. It was just called something like Jump_01.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 21, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Got my dead wine god Water Blaster past 32. Wow am I leaning heavy on that primary, even more so than other blasters. No complaints, though.

Also, in case you didn't know, if you run weekly strike targets and you're less than 50, you get like three-fourths of a level of XP as a bonus for finishing it, in addition to the double merits.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm bored, ask me lore questions or IDK whatever.

My brain woke up wanting to post angry screeds about how Elec Blast doesn't give up damage for its endurance drain and how Dark Armor isn't actually an endurance sink even though nobody was talking about them at all.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
new patch adds controller support :monocle:

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

My brain woke up wanting to post angry screeds about how Elec Blast doesn't give up damage for its endurance drain and how Dark Armor isn't actually an endurance sink even though nobody was talking about them at all.

post the dark armor one bc every time i try to make one i get owned by end

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

site posted:

new patch adds controller support :monocle:

What the hell HOW

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

hup posted:

What the hell HOW

From a technical standpoint, they're just buttons. You just gotta add them to the Keybind settings and it'll save 'em in the config file.

I had CoH setup with controller support during the original run using a combination of custom keybinds and a controller mapper.

If I recall, I had all 4 face buttons and all 4 D Pad controls set to 1-8, the joypads set to move and camera, L1 and R1 set to target next/target last, and L2 and R2 were set to cycle the Action Bar up or down. So 8 buttons + 9 actions bars = 72 possible actions.

If I recall, I ended up setting 1-3 the same on most/all bars so I would also have my basic attack chain, and could just cycle through the rest. It worked pretty well with Mastermind once I got the macros all setup.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The only part of Dark Armor that's an actual endurance black hole is Dark Regeneration. After that it comes down to running too many toggles and also Cloak of Fear being complete garbage.

Dark Regen can be fixed with enhancements. Basic ones alone can blunt the massive end cost (and in fairness it's in exchange for one of, if not the most powerful heals in the game) though what really helps is Theft of Essence: Chance for +Endurance. The beauty of the Theft of Essence proc is that since Dark Regen is an AoE you get multiple chances to proc it if you're in the middle of a huge mob. If you get enough procs, you can get your spent endurance refunded completely. The only downside is that since it's a proc, it's never a guarantee. But on the other hand, once your build is stable enough (ie, not level 12 getting chunked by literally every other mob) you won't be popping it all that often anyway.

As for Cloak of Fear, it's one of the few powers I would insist you should never, ever take, left over from the bad old days of power design in a set that's really one big mess of bad old power design. I still have no idea why people are obsessed with it so much.

Cloak of Fear vs. Oppressive Gloom:
0.52 end/s VS 0.08 end/s
50% acc VS 75% acc (base)
7.5s Mag 2 Fear VS 7.2s Mag 2 Stun
Bonus -5% ToHit VS 6 self damage every 2 seconds!!!!!

Note that damage (like say, from the set's own damage aura) lets feared enemies make a check to counter-attack whereas stunned enemies are just stunned. So basically you're paying an insane amount of extra endurance to get a worse CC effect, that hits less often, requires more enhancement slots to make not suck, BUT APPLIES -5% TOHIT SOFTCAP HERE I COME :woop: Or you could just pay an almost free amount of endurance and a tickle of HP loss to get the same basic effect, but more reliable, and doesn't need extra slots. Oppressive Gloom's only downside is that it's stuck all the way at tier 8 vs. Cloak of Fear's tier 7. Cloak of Fear's one single saving grace is that if you're pairing Dark Armor with Dark Melee, you can use it in tandem with Touch of Fear to fear bosses (and Dark Melee also has Dark Consumption to offset all the endurance you're burning through). But on the other hand, Oppressive Gloom can do the same thing with any other primary set that has a stun, and stuns from teammates are also generally more common than extra fears so....

As for running too many toggles, there's two key stumbling points with Dark Armor. One is really a universal rule for any set with a damage aura: Ignore it for 20~ levels. Death Shroud has that same 0.52/s cost like Cloak of Fear does so running it before you've got Stamina slotted out and Dark Regen under control is just going to ruin you. Damage auras need SOs/equivalent to shine (I usually go 2 end/1 acc and then way later 3 dmg) and they also scale by feeding them huge ridiculous mobs of enemies, which you're not going to ever be fighting at level 6 unless something's gone horribly wrong.

The other stumbling point is Cloak of Darkness. People default to running it at all times, but its only benefits beyond the actual stealth component are 1) immobilize protection - this is vital if you're fighting certain enemies, but immobilize is not actually that common so you can leave it off most of the time (or just outright replace it with Combat Jumping) and 2) the standard teeny tiny defense bonus that all stealth powers get that might mean something if it nudges you up to the softcap but otherwise isn't so important that you're dying without it.

Beyond that, there's just the usual tip of loading up Health and Stamina with all of the different procs that give +Recovery or +End. Assuming you're running a more normal set (vs. a total end hog like Spines with its own damage aura or something like Mace or Titan Weapons) it probably won't take much to get your endurance economy into a reasonable spot.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Assuming you're running a more normal set (vs. a total end hog like Spines with its own damage aura or something like Mace or Titan Weapons) it probably won't take much to get your endurance economy into a reasonable spot.

oh. rip my edgy dark knights thank u for identifying the problem

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I AM THE MOON posted:

oh. rip my edgy dark knights thank u for identifying the problem

It's still doable, you just gotta put more work into it. My Dark Armor is character is Spines/ so I've been down that road. :v: I've also played Mace a fair bit with non-DA secondaries and had similar end problems.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 22, 2019

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I've run a dm/da scrapper and a da/dm tank to 50 on live and they're in the 30s on HC. Also am running a mace/da brute on HC, level 46, and had a db/da scrapper in the 30s on live. So I've spent some time with DA, and I have a somewhat different approach. One man's poorly designed armor set from the bad old days is another man's favorite armor set, because it's different and interesting.

Dark Regen:
Yes, Theft of Essence is key. I do six slot this and use it often. I generally frankenslot this with a couple acc/end/rech, the theft proc, and then end/rech out of other heal sets. Might be able to drop a couple end/rech for heal/end/rech around 50 when all that combined end and rech start hitting ED. Wouldn't slot for heal otherwise unless you were really interested in tanking and healing off an AV with it, and you didn't have something like Siphon Life.

Cloak of Fear:
Requires a lot of slots. I understand not taking it, for sure, but personally I've taken it on all of mine. Takes about three acc/end from different sets plus an optional stun proc, which isn't essential but would stack with Oppressive Gloom. I don't always run it, but an advantage it has over OG is that mobs don't wander off. It's kind of a harsh power out of the box but the control auras are part of why I like DA so much, so I find it worth taking and slotting. It's probably not worth much if you're steamrolling, though. I generally keep it on with my Dark Melee characters to stack fear, and often turn it off on the mace/da, but when I do use it on her, I notice it helps survivability some.

Death Shroud:
I ran this on all of mine early. Specifically the brute ran around taking on big groups of blue and green guys in the Hollows, smacking the bosses and lts with the mace and letting DS take care of the minions. Worked pretty well. To me, an armor set with a damage aura is a reason to take on big groups, because it's good at that. Just have to keep the levels down a bit or team up. More fun for me than ignoring it and taking on the exact same stuff I'd take on without a damage aura. To me, they can be efficient.

Cloak of Darkness:
I use it, but whatever. It's part of the set, and I tend not to skip powers in any of the armor sets I play (inv, wp, fire, dark). Eventually endurance becomes less of an issue. I do tend to take the epics with end management tools though. It's a little weird having stealth on the tank, but sometimes it's handy and it's never an issue. Maybe I'd drop it on the tank if I didn't have DM's end recovery aoe.

I'm not saying John Murdoch's approach won't work, just that I've gone a different route and had results I'm happy with.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 22, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/JeffAHamilton/status/1164413262126993409
https://twitter.com/JeffAHamilton/status/1164413954447118336

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gorgar posted:

I've run a dm/da scrapper and a da/dm tank to 50 on live and they're in the 30s on HC. Also am running a mace/da brute on HC, level 46, and had a db/da scrapper in the 30s on live. So I've spent some time with DA, and I have a somewhat different approach. One man's poorly designed armor set from the bad old days is another man's favorite armor set, because it's different and interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate DA! But it was undeniably created in the era where you could only run 1 defensive toggle at a time and the developers didn't have a strong handle on power design and balance. (For instance, worth remembering that before Terrorize was a thing, fear powers straight-up made enemies run away from you so consider Cloak of Fear in THAT context for fun.) The fact that the final three powers in the set are a CC aura, a CC aura that does almost the same thing, and a self-rez is....less than ideal IMO. Especially compared to later sets where powers tended to be more universally applicable or less constrained by endurance management, for better or worse.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 22, 2019

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

John Murdoch posted:

1) Why are there TWO arcs based around bullying Aurora Borealis in Nerva, right after each other?

2) What does a normal earth military look like in comparison to paramilitary organizations like The Council, 5th Collumn, Vanguard, Sky Raiders, Arachnos, Malta and Longbow? Are they also impervium-clad, super-soldier-serum swigging, minigun-toting weirdos? The game talks up Penumbra council troops as being Navy-SEAL level skilled before they get pumped full of gallons of supersoldier drug which makes it sounds like these are exceptions rather than the rule.

3) Which Praetorians are still alive post Magisterium Trial?

4) Does the Cabal recruit from Salamanca or are they ALL 400+ years old sorceresses trapped in the spirit realm from Roanoke Colony?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Any mac users may have trouble with new update, or may not.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/8763-patch-notes-for-august-22nd-2019/

Because attention seekers weren't happy enough with the Helper/Help Me flag to make their name special they get a new one

Added a roleplaying tag which will flag yourself as currently RPing.
This will change your character name to appear in purple as well as adding a "Roleplaying" title.
Use /roleplaying to toggle the flag on and off, or use the dropdown in the helper window (H by default).

Turns out the purple on a dark background just makes their name unreadable LOL.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 22, 2019

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Crasical posted:

I think I can answer this one.

Tyrant is depowered and being held by Vanguard, awaiting trial for war crimes. Dominatrix is also in custody for the same reasons but may be granted leniency.

Shadow Hunter was taken over by the Praetorian Hamidon and presumably still roams that earth.

Bobcat escaped the end of the Tin Mage Task Force with her boyfriend Neuron, but when poo poo hit the fan she off-screen gutted him after he tried to abandon her to the invading Devouring Earth in Praetoria. She gets broken out of Vanguard custody by a villain and there's a whole crime spree involved. She, uh, makes suggestions on things to do and lazes around.

Pendragon and Aurora Pena (the Praetorian Aurora Borealis, who retook her body after Mother Mayhem snuffed it in the Minds of Mayhem trial) edit: and Marauder formed The New Praetorians in Brickstown and helped take down a Council-allied Praetorian Calvin Scott.

Infernal is completely MIA, although his axe is found in a forest invested by Preatorian Devouring Earth.

S.D. fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 22, 2019

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

S.D. posted:

Council-allied Praetorian Calvin Scott

God dammit Scott.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's a bit of an ask to expect the Praetorians to trust anybody who looks like, or takes orders from someone who looks like, a Praetor. Which is all the Center really needs, since he doesn't so much have an inner circle as a bunch of people whose chaos he can point away from himself.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Crasical posted:

1) Why are there TWO arcs based around bullying Aurora Borealis in Nerva, right after each other?

2) What does a normal earth military look like in comparison to paramilitary organizations like The Council, 5th Collumn, Vanguard, Sky Raiders, Arachnos, Malta and Longbow? Are they also impervium-clad, super-soldier-serum swigging, minigun-toting weirdos? The game talks up Penumbra council troops as being Navy-SEAL level skilled before they get pumped full of gallons of supersoldier drug which makes it sounds like these are exceptions rather than the rule.

4) Does the Cabal recruit from Salamanca or are they ALL 400+ years old sorceresses trapped in the spirit realm from Roanoke Colony?

I'm not that guy but:

2) There's a regular-ish US military force in firebase zero and they seem to just be dudes with M16s and tanks; it's not unreasonable to assume they have ways of holding their own but god knows what they are.

4) Yep, Katie Hannon is the youngest and she's like two hundred and something.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I remember some incidental dialogue and I think a mission or two that indicated the Cabal are looking for hapless men to give them their next generation.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Glazius posted:

It's a bit of an ask to expect the Praetorians to trust anybody who looks like, or takes orders from someone who looks like, a Praetor. Which is all the Center really needs, since he doesn't so much have an inner circle as a bunch of people whose chaos he can point away from himself.

Also, the Center has Super Charisma, which makes him extremely convincing to people - you see him use it in a Personal Mission at the end of the new Brickstown arcs.

quote:

The Center called in one of his newly recruited scientists; a man named Doctor Arvin. Several undercover Council agents had recovered Doctor Arvin from Praetoria after hearing that the man was a renowned scientist. The Center used his super-powered charisma to convince Arvin to work for the Council, specifically on a back up plan during the War Walker and Scott project.

[...]

"You should be proud of your work, Dr. Arvin. You've done more than I imagined."
"Thank you, Mr. Tirelli. I assume from the reports that I will be at the head of this project, now that Nosferatu has been captured. We'll all look forward to his return, of course."

The Center was forced to hide a smile. His charisma had turned this good doctor into someone who actually was looking forward to the return of a scientist who looked like a vampire!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crasical posted:

Almost any question about City of Villains writing boils down to the game being a mess of cobbled together story ideas that were hastily rewritten or edited down or just leftover from development but put in the game anyway to fill stuff out. This is only an educated guess on my part, but I think it was originally supposed to be Ms. Liberty you beat up at the end of Darla Mavis' arc. Since she's the leader of Longbow and Darla Mavis hates Longbow and all. (This is further supported by the only vaguely distinct dialogue surrounding Aurora's presence in that arc being the clue that says she's coming to Agincourt to address the troops. Why would Aurora be doing that?) However, Ms. Liberty seemingly didn't have an in-mission combat-capable version available at that point - she first appears in missions starting in I7 - so in goes whatever heroine NPC they had lying around I guess? The rest of the dialogue is so generic that I could fully believe Aurora was meant as a placeholder but then they didn't finish coding Ms. Liberty in time so it just shipped like that, not realizing that somebody else had just put together an arc that also used Aurora (in a much more sensible role).

Crasical posted:

So the weird thing is, you can see the normal earth military in action in the Shadow Shard. All of the installations there are staffed/defended by them. Just normal dudes with normal guns, really. After the Rikti War poo poo was pretty hosed and a lot of the remaining best of the best jumped ship to become the Sky Raiders. So my extrapolation is that the military is left in an awkward position of existing more or less as it does in our world, but with the UN having greater oversight and with resources starved by constant threats and funds being diverted to more impressive (and arguably important) operations like Vanguard. You could probably do a really kick rear end story about them in the vein of the Imperial Guard.

Crasical posted:

God dammit Scott.

It turns out that the unsubtle foreshadowing they gave in the beginnings of Going Rogue, that Scott was just some crazy dude in the asylum who latched onto Aurora and thought she was his wife before being consumed by Mother Mayhem, was true. Also, he is very clearly still crazy and homicidal and 800% more Crusader than Warden. So in the end he finally realizes that Councils made him tricked, bro and blows himself up to take out a bunch of Council robots except that clearly didn't do anything (see: Boomtown) and even if it did the coda is The Center's personal mission where he basically just gloats that even without those robots the Council still won because now they can make super super soldiers thanks to the events of the arc. It's ok though, the freedom fighting terrorist leader was actually a mentally ill rear end in a top hat but one of Cole's cronies who led his military operations and also led the Destroyers, a gang who, surprise, likes to just destroy poo poo, nah he's actually a really great guy! Not a spoiler: I loving hate all of this. An awful lot of the post-Praetoria stuff is full of these kinds of unfortunate implications.

Crasical posted:

I don't think they recruit, no. It seems preposterous that the whole colony was A) that big and B) nothing but witches (clearly they were drawing from more than just the Roanoke story there), but I think an acceptable head canon is that you're never arresting anything in Croatoa. Instead it just fades away to rejoin the eternal war. So instead of hundreds upon hundreds witches you're actually fighting a lot of the same ones over and over.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 22, 2019

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

John Murdoch posted:

I don't think they recruit, no. It seems preposterous that the whole colony was A) that big and B) nothing but witches (clearly they were drawing from more than just the Roanoke story there), but I think an acceptable head canon is that you're never arresting anything in Croatoa. Instead it just fades away to rejoin the eternal war. So instead of hundreds upon hundreds witches you're actually fighting a lot of the same ones over and over.

I thought it was 0% witches and Magic was something they picked up in their 400 years trapped in the Spirit Realm so they could fight back against the Red Caps (Which doesn't explain Katie Hannon being only 200 years old unless this is like Changeling: The Lost and sometimes people just fall into The Hedge/spirit realm and get picked up and trained by the Cabal.

EDIT:

Also honestly, I would not have enjoyed a Scott redemption arc? He's always been WAAAAY more Crusader than Warden, and I totally would see him attaching himself to some villain group or other post-praetoria just on the grounds that he's basically a terrorist and the poster boy for taking poo poo Too Far. The Council is just the worst for him to fall in with because they're fascists, and he JUST toppled a totalitarian regime.

Should have made him join the Freakshow or something, poo poo.

Crasical fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 23, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crasical posted:

I thought it was 0% witches and Magic was something they picked up in their 400 years trapped in the Spirit Realm so they could fight back against the Red Caps (Which doesn't explain Katie Hannon being only 200 years old unless this is like Changeling: The Lost and sometimes people just fall into The Hedge/spirit realm and get picked up and trained by the Cabal.

TBH I don't fully remember a lot of the finer details and finding concrete info on ParagonWiki has been a pain. That said:

Gordon Bower posted:

The Cabal hasn't bothered Salamanca -- at least not much. Sometimes they'll find a lone man to harass on the streets at night. Come to think of it, I've never seen a male member of the Cabal. I wonder what happened to them?
(The Red Caps killed them all...but for some reason I'm having trouble even finding a clear reference to that. Oh, that's part of the problem, the Katie Hannon TF page is separate from Katie Hannon for pretty much no reason.)

Katie Hannon posted:

Hi! I guess you know by now that we sorceresses have been fighting with the Red Caps for a long time. A long, long time. Ever since they came to our settlement in Roanoke, back in 1588. That was shortly after the Fir Bolg came to our lands. They were running away from their enemies in Ireland, the Tuatha de Dannan. We formed a cautious friendship, but we had no idea that the Red Caps had followed them all the way across the sea!

They trapped us here, killed all the men, and watched our suffering for the last four hundred years! And we finally found a way to get rid of them!

So the part of her bio that says she's lived in Croatoa for more than two centuries is either a simple error or maybe borne of some confusion about how long the Roanoke colony has been missing VS how long the Cabal has been living in Croatoa itself, which maybe wasn't always the same thing...though it clearly is here. Of course, 400 years is technically more than two centuries, too. :v:

Crasical posted:

EDIT:

Also honestly, I would not have enjoyed a Scott redemption arc? He's always been WAAAAY more Crusader than Warden, and I totally would see him attaching himself to some villain group or other post-praetoria just on the grounds that he's basically a terrorist and the poster boy for taking poo poo Too Far. The Council is just the worst for him to fall in with because they're fascists, and he JUST toppled a totalitarian regime.

Should have made him join the Freakshow or something, poo poo.

I think it's less that I wanted a redemption arc, just that like you said the Council is a terrible choice (regardless of The Center's vaguely-defined super persuasion) and it's a terrible and rushed conclusion for a character that could've lingered a bit longer. It's also less that I think Calvin Scott is a great guy, but offing him after thoroughly laying out that he's a terrible piece of poo poo in tandem with elevating members of Cole's inner circle as good guys and even planning to redeem Cole himself...fuuuuuuck that.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Crasical posted:

The 5C/column lore reveals that for the past ~10 years they have been basically Shanghai-ing people off the street and brainwashing them. I think we can assume that only a tiny fraction of their forces are SEAL-ish super soldiers, most being just random schlubs.