Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

someone pointed out in Enter the Florpus: GIR started out the series singing the Doom Song, and ended it singing Peace Is Nice. kinda appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ariza posted:

Rocko's Modern Life recap:

Made it about a minute or two in until guy's big weird nipples shoot out and twist around then had to turn it off. Will try again another day.
He's Really Really Big Man and those are his Nipples of the Future.

I'd say it gets better, but after the "hey here's how the world is 20 years later" part it's kind of forgettable.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Ariza posted:

Made it about a minute or two in until guy's big weird nipples shoot out and twist around then had to turn it off. Will try again another day.

This was my reaction as well. I ended up watching the full movie eventually but it was just kind of okay.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am enjoying how much more Psychotic Adorabat seems to get every other episode.

I love that the first episode fools you into thinking Adorabat's the odd one out in the valley, but nope! Every one of the Sweetypies is either super intense, a mischievous jerk, or both. Like half the poo poo Mao Mao has to deal with on his job has to do with the Sweetypies causing trouble.

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 19, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A good example of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHi4myFStHY

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh my god Enter The Florpus was fantastic. I didn't realise it was out until someone told me and I was already halfway through rewatching Zim in preparation for it.

I absolutely adore the tweaked artstyle, animation and colour palette. When I saw stills of it I wasn't fully convinced but it pops so wonderfully and it was so much fun. I'd watch more in this style and I'm glad they didn't make it more "adult" - if anything it's definitely softer than the original series but also felt sharper in terms of writing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hee hee, GAZMAT. Y'know, Professor Membrane is definitely the type to give his kids personalised HAZMAT suits.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like when Dib first leaves his room and Gaz is just like "No, Dib... please... take a shower first... you stink... please.... NOOOOOOOOO!" as the suit fails.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dibnobyle

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Someone over on /co/ made a very apt observation, these days in animation Wholesomeness is the new Edginess in terms of how refreshing it can feel

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Ariza posted:

No one tell this dude bout Powdered Toast Man and his Vitamin F

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

drrockso20 posted:

Someone over on /co/ made a very apt observation, these days in animation Wholesomeness is the new Edginess in terms of how refreshing it can feel

That’s so true and also I love the fact that therapy (or at least components of therapy) are getting talked up/utilized in a lot of shows. There was a whole drat song about DBT in Steven Universe and they show Mao Mao going to therapy to work out his issues. Granted, I am a social worker so I’m definitely biased, but yes please more trauma-informed cartoons.

Same goes for a lot of the villains these days being shown to be people stuck in cycles of trauma and distorted thinking instead of just waking up and being all “hmm I’m gonna commit genocide today.”

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

drrockso20 posted:

I remember being very surprised that for all his stock "egotistical sociopath hero" qualities, Mao Mao is more often than not genuinely supportive of Adorabat's efforts.
I feel like I've gotten used to "cool" heroes treating their kid sidekicks like unwanted burdens, but Mao Mao takes her seriously in a way that suggests he wants to do better by her than his dad did by him.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Morbi posted:

I remember being very surprised that for all his stock "egotistical sociopath hero" qualities, Mao Mao is more often than not genuinely supportive of Adorabat's efforts.
I feel like I've gotten used to "cool" heroes treating their kid sidekicks like unwanted burdens, but Mao Mao takes her seriously in a way that suggests he wants to do better by her than his dad did by him.

Mao Mao is the inversion of Adorabat. If you took Adorabat's psychoticness with Mao Mao's hard and egotistical exterior, it's basically the generic ultraviolent hero pastiche.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Labes for days posted:

That’s so true and also I love the fact that therapy (or at least components of therapy) are getting talked up/utilized in a lot of shows. There was a whole drat song about DBT in Steven Universe and they show Mao Mao going to therapy to work out his issues. Granted, I am a social worker so I’m definitely biased, but yes please more trauma-informed cartoons.

Same goes for a lot of the villains these days being shown to be people stuck in cycles of trauma and distorted thinking instead of just waking up and being all “hmm I’m gonna commit genocide today.”

Even Venture Bros goes to an effort to show that both the 'heroes' and villains are primarily driven by various degrees of trauma and madness rather than, well, that.

Invader Zim special makes me notice that Zim gets his best results out of GIR when he orders them to do plans as stupid as GIR is.

After watching it, I wonder; was FLCL an inspiration for Invader Zim?

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 20, 2019

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
It's not surprising that Venture Bros comes to mind, considering a lot of the up and coming names in this newer batch of CN shows cut their teeth working on it.
Mao Mao even has Christopher McCulloch doing some rare non-Adult Swim voicework, you can occasionally hear him slipping hard into the Hank Venture voice as Boss Hosstrich.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Invader Zim and FLCL were originally produced at more or less the same time, so probably not.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Started watching Mao Mao because of this thread.

What I like:

Mao Mao is essentially a more coordinated version of Darkwing Duck

Everything about Adorabat

The lion king

What I don’t like:

Badgerclops.

Orangusnake is kind of meh as a villain

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Applewhite posted:

Started watching Mao Mao because of this thread.

What I like:

Mao Mao is essentially a more coordinated version of Darkwing Duck

Everything about Adorabat

The lion king

What I don’t like:

Badgerclops.

Orangusnake is kind of meh as a villain

Bagerclops gets better I would say as the show goes on. Though I agree with you that he is my least favorite of the three heroes.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like Badgerclops. Despite Mao Mao saying he's a sidekick, he's actually competent enough to be his co-hero. He took one look at Mao Mao and saw someone lonely and became his friend. And the show never dwells on it, but it's implied he lost his arm at some point and he made that cool cyborg arm for himself.

Morbi posted:

Their relationship has a pretty good give and take too. Mao Mao teaches Adorabat how to be a hero, while he learns how to become a better person/hero from mentoring Adorabat.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even Venture Bros goes to an effort to show that both the 'heroes' and villains are primarily driven by various degrees of trauma and madness rather than, well, that.

Invader Zim special makes me notice that Zim gets his best results out of GIR when he orders them to do plans as stupid as GIR is.

It checks out, GIR is actuallly really quite capable, he's just impossible to control in any real capacity. It's noteworthy that in the episode where Zim fixes GIR, the actual level of capability doesn't change, no additional abilities/parts are added, GIR just loses the personality flaws, and it turns out that without them GIR is hypercompetent to the point of hating Zim for being so ridiculously unreliable himself.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So is Florpus the end of Zim, or is it a possible jumping off point for more new Zim?

Because that special made me really want that loving show back for real. Jhonen's clearly matured in ways that improved the hell out of the writing; it's still cynical, but it's cynicism with a heart rather than "EVERYTHING SUCKS AND IS ALWAYS BAD GRR ARGH" like the original tended towards.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It seems like it could go either way, and that might have been the point.

It ends with a different status quo set up but still similar enough they could stick to the same formula even with the more modern style of ongoing continuity. Possibly building up to the Irken Armada emerging on the other side of the Warp- er, the Florpus in some new horrifying twisted form and hell-bent for revenge on Zim.

Funny thing is my guess for the ending would be Zim having to give up on the Tallest and ending up moving in with the Membranes like some twisted version of Alf. Him and Dib are basically already quarrelling brothers. I suppose I wasn't that far off the mark, kinda?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
As much as I'd like to see more Zim (and I'd REALLY like to see more Zim) I'm actually ready to see something new from Jhonnen. Let the man try some other random idea, he's earned it.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 22, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

readingatwork posted:

As much as I'd like to see more Zim (and I'd REALLY like to see more Zim) I'm actually ready to see something new from Jhonnen. Let the man try some other random idea, he's earned it.

yea I wouldn't say no to more Zim after Florpus but I'd kinda rather see what new ideas Jhonnen has if he gets another go.

I absolutely would also be down for Zim as the Membranes' ALF too, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do like the continued theme that while Gaz is correct in that Zim is incredibly bad at doing what he sets out to do, he's more than dangerous enough to cause a hell of a lot of damage trying, and Dib has genuinely saved the world a bunch of times even when Zim's plans usually go wrong on their own accord. That and Zim has an incredible knack for surviving against ridiculous odds, though no one else in his vicinity besides Gir is likely to.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Damnit Zim did you eat the neighbor’s cat again!?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

readingatwork posted:

Wouldn't have Zim and Gir shouting

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^Let’s compromise. We make a new show but in the bottom corner we’ll have a little box with Zim and Gir screaming the whole time.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do like the continued theme that while Gaz is correct in that Zim is incredibly bad at doing what he sets out to do, he's more than dangerous enough to cause a hell of a lot of damage trying, and Dib has genuinely saved the world a bunch of times even when Zim's plans usually go wrong on their own accord. That and Zim has an incredible knack for surviving against ridiculous odds, though no one else in his vicinity besides Gir is likely to.

I like that underneath it all Zim is a stone cold sociopath and would be legitimately terrifying if he were even slightly more competent.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 22, 2019

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

readingatwork posted:

I like that underneath it all Zim is a stone cold sociopath and would be legitimately terrifying if he were even slightly more competent.

Zim isn't a sociopath. He just doesn't think that humans are people.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Zim isn't a sociopath. He just doesn't think that humans are people.

But he’s blown up plenty of Irkens and other species as well. So uh...yeah I’m pretty sure Zim is a sociopath.

And I love him. :kimchi:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zim is insane by Irken standards as well as human but it's pretty clear his upbringing made him a monster as Irkens have little to no regard for each other anyway. He has shown empathy and emotional attachment to Gir and the giant unfeeling robot arm.

The Tallest are definitely sociopaths.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sexpig by night posted:

yea I wouldn't say no to more Zim after Florpus but I'd kinda rather see what new ideas Jhonnen has if he gets another go.

The thing is, though, I'm not really sure that's what Jhonen wants.

Like, if you look at his combined works, the Zim comics and Florpus are the only things he's done in the past 8 years that aren't based on someone else's existing IP (12 years if you don't count Randy Cunningham, 9th Grade Ninja, due to him only doing character design work on that and using a pseudonym). It kind of seems like he's just... done venting his brain to us, and aside from a personal affinity for Zim he'd rather just play in other people's toyboxes.

Which is, of course, fine, especially for someone like him who's done loving plenty already. Hell, that TMNT short he did with the Workaholics cast is loving hilarious. But it makes me pretty sure we're not going to see a new IP from him anytime soon, and that we're probably not going to see Nny, Squee or Devi anywhere either. More Zim seems like the best we can hope for, since he clearly enjoys going back to that well more than his others and probably won't dig any new ones.

e: in case anyone hasn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQNZcBTOgt8

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

(12 years if you don't count Randy Cunningham, 9th Grade Ninja, due to him only doing character design work on that and using a pseudonym).

Holy poo poo he totally did! It’s really obvious now.

Also he DID try to do something new with A Very Important House a while back, so he’s clearly got SOME new ideas in him.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Jhonen did have a pilot for a show that was put in some sort of purgatory if I remember correctly. Some of it was posted in here and it looked good.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
yeah it was animated at titmouse, and some of the people involved (like Tyson Hesse and Jenny Goldberg) would later be involved in Into the Florpus. Alas, it's trapped in the disney vault

Speaking of Tyson Hesse:
https://twitter.com/tyson_hesse/status/1164290114358407169
https://twitter.com/tyson_hesse/status/1164298757615173633

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Huh, I wonder if that means the Squee project at Titmouse is 100% dead. I heard about that a few years ago and was kinda curious, though ambivalent (Squee gets fuuuuuucked up and I'm not really super sure I wanna revisit it nowadays).

e: given the course-corrections Florpus made to Dib's family, I have a suspicion that that's why that Squee project died, actually. Like, I feel like JV's specifically very done with turbo-dark poo poo, probably because his mental state's a lot better than it was in the late 90s.

e2: I say this, and yet Nny's character twitter... not only apparently exists, but just got a new post a couple weeks ago about weird poo poo growing in his garden. :psyduck: Okay now I'm just loving confused and I suspect this was the intention.

(in case anyone's curious; it could just be a very persistent and weird fan, but the website is Jhonen's and the tweets have the character's voice down)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 22, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you want more Zim, there's been a comic running for 4 years now...so, you could get those.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

readingatwork posted:

Quote from an interview with him about what he was doing before Florpus

quote:

My mind was on other matters, really! In the recent years leading up to production on the Zim movie I was elsewhere developing other things that just didn’t fly. Heartbreaking stuff sinking years of your life into something people will never see and then seeing generic stuff churned out in place of what you were trying to do. Those years are just sorta buried with no real proof of your existence

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really wanted to see Very Important House. Disney sucks a big ol poo poo for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
In other news, reviews for The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance are starting to come out. Looks like the series fully lives up to the movie, including being able to traumatize a new generation of children.