Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Raenir Salazar posted:

That's never happening because otherwise you'll catch someone getting a blowjob.
Well they'll definitely be in self-driving taxis, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope DC follows suit, gently caress I hate these

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

That's never happening because otherwise you'll catch someone getting a blowjob.

an insurance company did this for ten years to offer discounts when insuring teens, they've since phased it out for an app

it will certainly come back into style once insurers have to determine if the driver or the vehicle manufacturer is at fault for any accidents that happen when using self driving

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

smh if you don't have your card in a sealed, PSA graded case.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mercury Ballistic posted:

My neighbor's 5 year old daughter got clobbered by a guy on a scooter the other day. Knocked out, ER trip, overnight hospital stay, etc. The guy was looking at his phone from what I heard.
I'm surprised the apps don't have a REPORT ACCIDENT tab that logs all the data in an attempt to toss the burden of the injury/lawsuit at the operator instead of the company.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Raenir Salazar posted:

How much of this do you think gets exacerbated by Musk insisting on reinventing the wheel when it comes to middle management and production operations practices?

A lot. from what I've read he just shows up on the line and tries to change dumb stuff, like the time he banged his head against a bumper because he wanted the line to move a lot faster.

He's basically trump in that regard, showing up and ruining functioning systems because he's too ignorant to understand the why's and is coddled for every dumb idea he has because he's a celeb. (see the hyperloop)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
How does the summon feature on these cars work security wise? Like is this going to be a whole new exciting world of car theft where you don't even have to get in the car? Petty assholes hitting the button and tossing the keys into a lake? The possibilities are endless...

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

How does the summon feature on these cars work security wise? Like is this going to be a whole new exciting world of car theft where you don't even have to get in the car? Petty assholes hitting the button and tossing the keys into a lake? The possibilities are endless...

Holy poo poo, this would be amazing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

It should work exactly like the scene in Batman 1989.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/robaeprice/status/1164718366730227712

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Context for this or do I need to wait for a summary by LegalEagle?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Raenir Salazar posted:

Context for this or do I need to wait for a summary by LegalEagle?

I have no idea it just looks wild.

Here's the main issue I think:

Reminds me of the We Company.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Man companies eating each other alive would be a lot more fun if the economy and us smucks well beings weren't on the line.

Not that tech loving up stock prices will lead to the next recession.... but it could. Ain't that the fun of it?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Man companies eating each other alive would be a lot more fun if the economy and us smucks well beings weren't on the line.

Not that tech loving up stock prices will lead to the next recession.... but it could. Ain't that the fun of it?

It'd be way more fun if their CEOs just duked it out in a steel cage lined with weapons, but who am I to say?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Oh I thought it would be something that mattered like the cards can be remote accessed or something, but lol nope it's cosmetic issues which says ever so much about people who buy Apple products.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ryonguy posted:

Oh I thought it would be something that mattered like the cards can be remote accessed or something, but lol nope it's cosmetic issues which says ever so much about people who buy Apple products.

Only store your Apple Mastercard in the finest Egyptian cotton bag as a backup in case your point of payment does not accept Apple Pay.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Apple should have just not said anything about it and laughed at people who whined about discoloured cards.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Missing the opportunity to sell branded $74.95 cloth bags.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

With a window for the Apple logo and you have to line it up every time

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
NetSuite is horrible loving garbage that I'm surprised anybody was willing to pay for.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

NetSuite is horrible loving garbage that I'm surprised anybody was willing to pay for.

It was a guy effectively paying himself for it, which is why Oracle's directors started a lawsuit.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ryonguy posted:

it speaks to apple's business model that they made a credit card which should not be placed directly in your wallet or pocket

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It would be hilarious if they end up selling all their Java rights to Google.

The real grift is all the tech lawyers Oracle has been subsidizing throughout the years.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

it speaks to apple's business model that they made a credit card which should not be placed directly in your wallet or pocket

We’ve hit “you’re holding it wrong”, part deux.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

less than three posted:

Only store your Apple Mastercard in the finest Egyptian cotton bag as a backup in case your point of payment does not accept Apple Pay.

Be sure to complain to everyone about how this store is using ancient technology and that they need to upgrade if they want to keep your buisness. After all, being an Apple customer sends an important message, and a buisness that doesn't do everything it can to serve those brilliant and influential clients deserves to go bankrupt.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ripoff posted:

We’ve hit “you’re holding it wrong”, part deux.

Why in the gently caress can't Apple build anything that is durable? Their cables trivially fray and "geniuses" blame customers for wrapping them up too tightly. Stuff scuffs and scratches too easily and then we get poo poo like this.

News flash - if everyone is doing something and it causes a problem, look at the process first rather than the people.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Konstantin posted:

Be sure to complain to everyone about how this store is using ancient technology and that they need to upgrade if they want to keep your buisness. After all, being an Apple customer sends an important message, and a buisness that doesn't do everything it can to serve those brilliant and influential clients deserves to go bankrupt.

It is peak tech to take a novel and useful new method/system and then proceed to Balkanize it so it takes forever to/never achieves widespread adoption.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
they could build durably if they wanted to, but they have a brand built on aesthetics and a user base who is willing to pay a premium for that. why make cables that don't fray if people are willing to buy replacement cables on a regular basis?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Solkanar512 posted:

Why in the gently caress can't Apple build anything that is durable? Their cables trivially fray and "geniuses" blame customers for wrapping them up too tightly.

Given how many years Mac charging cables have been an issue, I'm firmly convinced replacements are a profit center.

e:f,b

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1164909237849296897

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1164911399824314368

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

April 2015? I mean I could have told you that was bullshit when two years later we got the Uber Shooter, someone whose customer service score was low enough that he was supposed to be dropped from Uber completely was able to shoot people, do an Uber job, shoot more people, etc.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

April 2015? I mean I could have told you that was bullshit when two years later we got the Uber Shooter, someone whose customer service score was low enough that he was supposed to be dropped from Uber completely was able to shoot people, do an Uber job, shoot more people, etc.

:stare: Uh, can you link me to that one?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

:stare: Uh, can you link me to that one?

https://www.gq.com/story/the-uber-killer

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

When was Uber ever "swaggering"?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Schubalts posted:

When was Uber ever "swaggering"?
Wasn't their early bro-party culture notorious, or am I remembering 90% of all startups some other company?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wasn't their early bro-party culture notorious, or am I remembering 90% of all startups some other company?

No you're right they were definitely notorious for this and went through multiple shakeups at the top over it IIRC.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

it came out of JAMPAD

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I have no idea it just looks wild.

Here's the main issue I think:

Reminds me of the We Company.

This is how the founders at the big ed-tech co. I worked at from '94 to '99 cashed out, acquired their own company.

Clever trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That reminds me, there was another company with a sex culture so crazy they sent out emails telling employees to stop loving in the stairwells, anyone remember the name?

I believe they provided HR services to companies and got absolutely hosed by the state of California for having unlicensed employees selling insurance? Does this ring a bell for anyone?