Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
So China is hosting a negotiation talk between Korea and Japan in Beijing. I wonder if China will give Korea the home-field advantage in the umpire role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1164471126967365632?s=19

Japan-South Korean relations not improving.

so why the gently caress are the feuding so bad right now. like i get it, hellworld and everyone is trying to go nationalist while america shits itself and giggles in the corner. i know abe is a nationalist and SK and japan dislike each other because of the last 100 or years plus. is this because trump blew up that asian trade deal?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so why the gently caress are the feuding so bad right now. like i get it, hellworld and everyone is trying to go nationalist while america shits itself and giggles in the corner. i know abe is a nationalist and SK and japan dislike each other because of the last 100 or years plus. is this because trump blew up that asian trade deal?

The spark was Japan prohibiting exports of components to South Korea in response to a South Korean court saying Japan owed money despite a (bullshit) settlement in the 1960s under General Park that paid some compensation.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Dapper_Swindler posted:

genuinely I think the major factor in bringing these situations about is that as weird as south korea often is, the japanese right wing continues to be helmed by a wide base of people who are just really still an extremely insufferable group of insane culture purists and turbonationalistic misogynists who act like it would literally kill them to do anything like admit that the occupation of korea was bad and they did many imperial atrocities, and perhaps let's not be assholes about it, or take situations regarding that and make OTHER things, like simple defense pacts, and make that poo poo awkward as well.

any dealings with japan, even regarding extremely concerning potential instabilities emerging from whatever's going on in the DPRK at any point in time, are bathed in the background radiation of that kind of crap. it is very hard to just

not care, and go along with it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Horseshoe theory posted:

The spark was Japan prohibiting exports of components to South Korea in response to a South Korean court saying Japan owed money despite a (bullshit) settlement in the 1960s under General Park that paid some compensation.

Not even Japan itself. Japanese companies that profited from the labor which have since set up offices with seizable assets in South Korea. That's why no one much likes talking about the actual origin of the dispute because Abe's actions are completely indefensible once you realize he's white-knighting for literal war profiteers. Even Japanese people can smell the horseshit in that.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-49408555

An interesting and very sad article that stands out for being a mainstream news piece that is vaguely positive about North Korea (while throwing in some unexplained guff about a mysterious prison in NK).

The case of the NK emigrant dying of starvation in SK really highlights the breathtaking cynicism of capitalism. We're gungho about placing massive sanctions on countries we know are facing huge issues with food production and supply while letting our own poor die of starvation. Who are supposed to be the good guys again?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Flayer posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-49408555

An interesting and very sad article that stands out for being a mainstream news piece that is vaguely positive about North Korea (while throwing in some unexplained guff about a mysterious prison in NK).

The case of the NK emigrant dying of starvation in SK really highlights the breathtaking cynicism of capitalism. We're gungho about placing massive sanctions on countries we know are facing huge issues with food production and supply while letting our own poor die of starvation. Who are supposed to be the good guys again?

Yep, it's the peak of hypocrisy that only really came about with the collapse of the Soviet Union - once you no longer had to win a PR war against communism, capitalism could go back to gleefully letting the poor die without even the mildest sop of a benefits safety net.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
The son too... Sigh.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

tino posted:

Why bother,? Just hand it to Black Water/Xi/Vought America to handle them.

Assuming you are being just the least bit serious: Letting the worlds least competent mercenary force who the USCMJ does not apply to, and who are run by literal fundie vampires, is a so fundamentally bad idea that I don't know where to start. Maybe check out their track record in other countries?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The question is not whether it's a good idea but what we'd actually do in such a situation. I think current leadership would rather lose a war with contractors than win one with a draft. Assuming such a war is winnable at all. It probably isn't.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tias posted:

Assuming you are being just the least bit serious: Letting the worlds least competent mercenary force who the USCMJ does not apply to, and who are run by literal fundie vampires, is a so fundamentally bad idea that I don't know where to start. Maybe check out their track record in other countries?
What if the point is to suck taxpayers dry, shock the public into accepting privatized war as normal, and create a lawless zone where they can test the methods they'll use to control their own citizens under ongoing climate catastrophe?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Halloween Jack posted:

What if the point is to suck taxpayers dry, shock the public into accepting privatized war as normal, and create a lawless zone where they can test the methods they'll use to control their own citizens under ongoing climate catastrophe?
If you want to see what mercenaries fighting an army looks like check out what happened to Wagner at Deir al-Zour.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 23, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If you want to see what mercenaries fighting an army looks like check out what happened to Wagner at Deir al-Zour.

I think the idea goes countries stop fighting each other or form some supranational new world order superstate and then turn their armies into domestic security forces.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

To what extent does this thread think that Korean public opinion, or at least the Left segment of that public opinion, would accept alliance/alignment with Japan in the best case scenario? Because if you reran the last 30 years, the best case scenario I think would be something like

1. Marginally clearer and more explicit apologies

2. Agreement to pay reparations to forced labor through private firms

3. The Ruling Party and/or the LDP, manages to mostly refrain from Racist Goofs and Gaffes on the part of its official senior leadership, maybe excepting some no-name backbenchers, but not counting various other right-wing institutions like the Sankei Shimbun or the Ishin no Kai or weird Shinto groups or whatever. In other words no Abe 2006 or Aso administrations I guess

4. Some more Depoliticized, Decontextualized Facts (which is how everything is presented in Japanese history textbooks) about Japan's occupation of Korea 1910-1945 are added to the history textbooks and stay there for the whole period and beyond

My understanding is that this wouldn't ultimately have helped that much. I think you can say for sure that this would not have meaningfully changed Japanese mass public opinion/self-conception of who Japan is as a nation and what their modern history means to include victimization of Korea on a level remotely comparable to the role of the Holocaust in postwar liberal German identity. My understanding of the Korean Nationalist-Left is that this would not really satisfy them and they would still want a more fundamental decoupling from Japan politically/socially/economically. Maybe the specific flareups would have been less bad but you still would not have had a stable bipartisan consensus accepting a pro-Japan alignment in the ROK nor a social consensus in Japan granting Korea a unique victim status in Japan's history. Is this too cynical or unfair a view?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 23, 2019

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Japan would have to go back to the 60s to never sign the Treat of Mutual Cooperation of Defense with the US in order to have a true independent foreign policy and be a true sovereign nation. Japan's military hardware is just a vertical component of the US defense in Asia, it's quite useless without being part of the US fleet. As such, Japan have never developed a meaningful left. (I am not blaming this to the US, this is still Japan's own decision and responsibility)

As for taking responsibility of the war crimes and such, they can start with doing what Germany have done.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

To what extent does this thread think that Korean public opinion, or at least the Left segment of that public opinion, would accept alliance/alignment with Japan in the best case scenario? Because if you reran the last 30 years, the best case scenario I think would be something like

One thing you fail to understand is that this isn't a left or right position. My parents who are hard rear end conservatives loathe the Japanese for the inaction, the lies and the constant aggression from them on various social issues ranging from claiming dokdo is their territory to asking us to stop creating comfort women statues.

Our right wing soulless conservative politicians tends to be the one sucking up to Japan for the money and because of various connections so I can see why you would make that mistake since they were in power before and made those loving awful deals with Japan

The liberals tends to want the most basic things done by Japan essentially. Something along the line which Germany has done.

Anyway all is moot considering Japan keeps voting in the far right nationalists which keeps on making the situation worse so they can burn so all I care. Hopefully the tourism boycott lasts for a long time

boredsatellite fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 24, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comfort women issues have not historically been brought up by the South Korean government at all. Those comfort women statues are the result of grassroots feminist activism. The South Korean government right now is the most left-wing this country has ever had and even they've expressed a willingness to back down on the trade issues if Japan does the same.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

Comfort women issues have not historically been brought up by the South Korean government at all. Those comfort women statues are the result of grassroots feminist activism.

And still they complained to us about how they must be taken down. They keep on doing that to countries and areas that put up memorials for comfort woman. Their behavior is disappointing but expected

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/joshjonsmith/status/1165458151983976448?s=19

More drills, but this time it's Japan pissed at South Korea.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

OhFunny posted:

North Korea is developing nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles completely unhindered but yeah let's fight over some useless islands.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The urgency of the current drills is mainly thanks to Russia buzzing South Korean airspace last month. The drills are supposed to happen every two years and up until that happened South Korea had actually been pushing them back specifically to avoid aggravating the situation with Japan.

Dumb as petty as these incidents might be I like how they demonstrate that other countries are really inconsistent when announcing their military drills in advance and also that announcing military drills in advance tends not to make other countries less angry anyway. Useful thoughts to keep in mind when contemplating how North Korea could make more friends if they made a point of testing their missiles more politely.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

OhFunny posted:

I visited Dokdo in June and they were building a naval base on the nearby large ilsand of Ullengdo specifically to counter any attempt by Japan to seize the island.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Aren't there massive gas and mineral reserves under the seas around the islands?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

North Korea is developing nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles completely unhindered but yeah let's fight over some useless islands.

Not to say that I agree they're working but would you consider the economic sanctions against North Korea completely unhindered? Isn't part of their delay that they can't openly obtain Chinese/Russian computer equipment that would vastly accelerate this process? I'm aware they receive such things anyway, but to my knowledge the power of sanctions slowed such acquisition down to a trickle in order to mostly-avoid international monitors.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Not to say that I agree they're working but would you consider the economic sanctions against North Korea completely unhindered? Isn't part of their delay that they can't openly obtain Chinese/Russian computer equipment that would vastly accelerate this process? I'm aware they receive such things anyway, but to my knowledge the power of sanctions slowed such acquisition down to a trickle in order to mostly-avoid international monitors.

Maybe? They have been getting large technology transfers to move the rocket program along since its inception. The first big leap in tech was simply buying Scuds from Egypt after the Soviets refused to sell to them, which is how you got 25 years of Scuds, upscaled Scuds, Scuds stacked on top of upscaled Scuds, and Scuds stacked on top of upscaled Scuds stacked on top of clusters of Scuds. The Soviets trusted governments like those of Saddam Hussein and Ghaddafi more than they trusted the DPRK when it came to weapon exports so it was Korbal Scud Program until the dissolution of the USSR. The second big leap to true IRBMs that appeared in the 2010's and surprised everyone by not being Scud-tech was made by producing a copy of a 1960's Soviet SLBM, the Zyb. It was accomplished by contracting the Makeyev Design Bureau in the 90's to send over a team of scientists and engineers to the DPRK to set up domestic production of the missile (seemingly without approval of the Russian government who arrested a bunch of the engineers as they attempted to leave for the DPRK). This was also followed by a generation of derivatives of that missile which all tended to blow up a lot because well... it's a copy of 1960's tech. The last big leap to ICBMs (and the current generation of rockets) just flat out use purchased Soviet/Ukrainian RD-250 boosters or an exact clone thereof - these are failing less often and in less spectacular fashion because it's now mostly the upper stages tacked on there having problems rather than the primary booster.

So I mean sanctions slowed down the rocket program in that they couldn't as easily buy some commercial rockets or Russian missiles to stick warheads on, but in the end it didn't prevent the program from buying the necessary rockets and technology transfers. Even during the famine they found the funds to throw at rockets and nukes. The better example would probably be the armed forces as a whole, which largely haven't been able to modernize or maintain a lot of the logistics and support capabilities necessary for an invasion due to the lack of purchasing power and presumably sanctions. They've still been given some big infusions of technology but don't have the resources to do much with it. Building a few ICBMs with nukes on them changes a lot while building a few modern-ish MBT clones or equipping a few platoons with newer rifles doesn't really change anything. That's a big deal and one of the reasons things cooled down so much on the peninsula - the DPRK can still kill an awful lot of people by attacking the South but it's now in a pretty weak position to actually win a war even if the US doesn't show up.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 30, 2019

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

i just read that the ballistic missile sub they're working on is basically what NATO called a Soviet "Romeo" class. Soviet Union started building those in about 1957.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MrMojok posted:

i just read that the ballistic missile sub they're working on is basically what NATO called a Soviet "Romeo" class. Soviet Union started building those in about 1957.

Probably have some modernizations and improvements, but it's still a drastically needed capability to add resiliency to their deterrence; sub launched ICBMs that are safe-ish in their own waters means a First Strike if off the table.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

In non-nukes NK news, Kim Jong-Un wrote Juche out of the constitution, in a move sure to deeply wound some of the worst twitter accounts in existence. Written in is a passage explicitly declaring Kim Jong-Un, by name, as the head of state, and one naming "the Great Kimilsungism-Kimjongilism" as the nation's guiding ideology. Give him five more years and he'll be rolling up to photoshoots at the Pukchong County #3 Beet Factory with a crown and scepter.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, this is sure to excite the people who think everything that baffles us about the DPRK is down to some mysterious ineffable Confucianism.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fallen Hamprince posted:

In non-nukes NK news, Kim Jong-Un wrote Juche out of the constitution, in a move sure to deeply wound some of the worst twitter accounts in existence. Written in is a passage explicitly declaring Kim Jong-Un, by name, as the head of state, and one naming "the Great Kimilsungism-Kimjongilism" as the nation's guiding ideology. Give him five more years and he'll be rolling up to photoshoots at the Pukchong County #3 Beet Factory with a crown and scepter.

this is gonna genuinely baffle like 90% of the western 'Korea experts' when NK doesn't crumble without the mystic force of Juche binding them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Speaking of, though. The "North Korea is an opium empire" myth is still...not dead I guess. No one gives a poo poo but they're still trying it.

https://twitter.com/The_Daily_NK/status/1167272641553502208

mystes
May 31, 2006

I wish that I also lived in a world where the educational value of middle school field trips was my biggest concern about North Korea.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i wish i lived in a country where the biggest concern about opium and middle schoolers was them harvesting it on field trips.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/chadocl/status/1169020969706500096

Can somebody remind this dude that this poo poo NEVER went away?

He doesn't even elaborate WHERE or WHEN these posters were put up in NK.

What the gently caress is wrong with North Korean news on Twitter? You ask for clarification on issues, and you get jack poo poo from them

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 4, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/chadocl/status/1169020969706500096

Can somebody remind this dude that this poo poo NEVER went away?

He doesn't even elaborate WHERE or WHEN these posters were put up in NK.

What the gently caress is wrong with North Korean news on Twitter? You ask for clarification on issues, and you get jack poo poo from them

I see it more as a sign that Chad is a fan of vintage and retro propaganda. I bet his personal fav is the one with three soldiers on it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Willo567 posted:

it's because they don't know. nobody on twitter knows because reliable sources aren't on twitter. all they have is this weird orientalist poo poo.

RandomPauI posted:

I bet his personal fav is the one with three soldiers on it.
isn't is yours? the rocket one is a solid second, though!

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Fallen Hamprince posted:

In non-nukes NK news, Kim Jong-Un wrote Juche out of the constitution, in a move sure to deeply wound some of the worst twitter accounts in existence.

Friendship with Juche, a hypernationalist screed irrelevant to the actual structures of power in the militant, authoritarian dictatorship is ended.

Now Great Kimilsungism-Kimjongilism, a hypernationalist screed irrelevant to the actual structures of power in the militant, authoritarian dictatorship is my best friend.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

this came up in my recommendations this channel usually does apolitical cute animal stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDrMBL_HFig

e: theyve disabled off site viewing you'll have to watch it on youtube: Even This Dog Knows That Dokdo Island Belongs To..

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/DavidNakamura/status/1169959736034377730?s=20

Who Could Have Predicted This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1170346208537141250

I hate nuclear experts so much