Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Picked up the airbrush tonight after a LONG drought of creative blocks/sadbrains, but it felt real good. Got down some base colors on a Space Marine, a Hill Giant, and another larger secret garage kit.

That one will be something cool... just hope he doesn't try to get snack after midnight.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I like the Egg Kit idea for a group build seeing as everyone could pick up whichever one is easily accessible for their particular region.

Otherwise, for a group build, perhaps instead of a specific model or range, what if we chose a theme or style to apply? Like "Parade Float", "Colour Wheel Roulette", or "The Crapkit of Dr. Moreau".

My day job is almost slowing down to the point where I can accomplish more on models than simply thousand yard stare at half finished kits.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My bench is still covered with tiny shipping container stacks and I suffer from some pretty bad project fatigue. Otherwise I’d be down.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Picked up the airbrush tonight after a LONG drought of creative blocks/sadbrains, but it felt real good. Got down some base colors on a Space Marine, a Hill Giant, and another larger secret garage kit.

That one will be something cool... just hope he doesn't try to get snack after midnight.....

Looking forward to it!

Ok, I kinda screwed up with the exhaust stains. I was initially going for a lean mix exhaust, tried to freehand it with the airbrush but it kinda went on too opaque. Cleaned it up a bit and went with a dirtier look to hide my crimes. Not really happy with the way it turned out, but at this point I kinda want to just complete this kit.

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 18, 2019

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Alright, calling it done:

Eduard 1/72 Spitfire F Mk IX

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’ve had some odd issues with Tamiya’s semi gloss black lately. The last two pots I’ve purchased have been closer to what I’d think a gloss black would look like and was confirmed with the finish that their spray produces. Has anyone seen this before?
My fix was to mix up flat and the gloss black in an old pot cause I go through a decent amount of semi gloss painting cars and stuff.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Thought that was 48th from the pictures, nice job.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Unkempt posted:

Thought that was 48th from the pictures, nice job.

Thanks! I think after I finish my last two WWII 1/72 kits I'm gonna pick up a 1/48.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Looks real good, but I totally empathize with the "thank god I'm done" feeling.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Is this the place for wargaming figuring painting? I'm more of a scale model guy but a friend of mine gave me a few Warhammer figurines that I'm going to take a crack at.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Is this the place for wargaming figuring painting? I'm more of a scale model guy but a friend of mine gave me a few Warhammer figurines that I'm going to take a crack at.

Check out the Miniatures Painting Thread.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Goons would have really let me down if there wasn't a dedicated thread to miniature painting. Thanks!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Goons would have really let me down if there wasn't a dedicated thread to miniature painting. Thanks!

There’s actually three, but the other two threads are best not mentioned.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

Contrast the thread and see for yourself.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

What are the other two?

e: let me guess - one is a hentai thing?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SkunkDuster posted:

What are the other two?

e: let me guess - one is a hentai thing?

The Unspiration Thread is one, but madness this way lies

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Kick rear end, well done!

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm thinking about doing a kitbashed technical and putting a rojava ypg flag on the side

also considering doing a scratch built spanish civil war cnt-fai improvised armored car. is there any good way to add lines of rivets along the edges of a styrene sheet?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Styrene rod, cut into little sections. Use poly cement where you want them to stick, and tweeze them gently into place. Should give you enough play to get them to look decent.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
For smaller scales you can use something like this and there's also decal-type things like this though I've never tried them.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

If you want cheap raised rivets, you can always roll out a sheet of kneadatite and poke a mechanical pencil into it. If you retract the lead, it'll give you a little cavity to use as a press mold; advance the lead to pop your rivet back out. It's ugly and slow, but for an improvised armored car, that seems like an asset.

Also, extremely excited to see anything from the Spanish Civil War.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Archer decals make some good rivets.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
fyi, meng makes technical kits! i built this one, and had a good time, though it got lost in a move: http://www.meng-model.com/en/contents/67/94.html

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
So here's something I doubt many of you will have encountered in your scale modeling careers:

This is a model 81-717 subway train of the Kiev Metro. The Kiev Metro is something I cannot gush about enough, its gorgeous stations and vivid atmosphere is proof that public transport can be not just a way to get from point A to B but like, an aesthetic experience. Having been born in Kiev but not living there for many years, during my last visit I was inspired to make an HO scale model of one of the trains to display as a small reminder of my roots.

Unfortunately, this being kind of a specific modeling niche, kits of the 81-717 are not readily available and I ended up having to commission a made-to-order kit from a chap in St. Petersburg whose website seems to be some kind of strange time capsule from the 90s. The process was... Annoying, but now it's finally here.

The pieces are mostly resin. Detail is really nice and crisp with no visible imperfections, just a lot of flash. They're quite true to life with a few... Odd exceptions, like the bogeys being far too wide, the linkages being completely wrong and missing the pieces needed to actually fix them to the wagons(???) and the interiors being more of a vague suggestion than anything. It'll be a fair amount of work to get them to look like I want them to.

Here's the first wagon cleaned up and dry fit, minus windows or linkages. Once I have everything else cleaned, first order of business will be to fix the bogeys, then I can turn to the interior, because of course I want a fully accurate and detailed interior that will be hardly visible in the end... Though I do hope to add lighting, if I can figure out electronics...

This is certainly going to take a while.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have a lot of love and nostalgia for Kiev metro. My grandparent's station was Arsenalna.

I've always wanted a model of a Prague metro train but could never find one. It looks to be the same or very similar model to Kiev though?
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/67e52a65684307222c193d0b6a69d7b3/Prague-metro-train?hl=en

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 22, 2019

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
That's the same rolling stock as is currently used for the Sofia metro here in Bulgaria (along with the newer 81-740). Opalchenska is the coolest looking metro station here, although Lavov Most also has its charm.

I've occasionally thought about seeing if I could find a kit of either model of train sometime, just because they look neat and I spent two and a half years riding the metro to work and back before moving out of the city, but I never really put any effort into it.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

fyi, meng makes technical kits! i built this one, and had a good time, though it got lost in a move: http://www.meng-model.com/en/contents/67/94.html

oh that's neat, but i want to do it for the fun of kitbashing. im going to try to find a few dshks somewhere and then get a decent toyota pickup model at the same scale of the gun, and then use styrene to build a mount that looks like it was welded together into a dual dshk frankenstein

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The hard part is getting guns in truck scale, or vice versa.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Baronjutter posted:

I have a lot of love and nostalgia for Kiev metro. My grandparent's station was Arsenalna.

I've always wanted a model of a Prague metro train but could never find one. It looks to be the same or very similar model to Kiev though?
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/67e52a65684307222c193d0b6a69d7b3/Prague-metro-train?hl=en
That's neat! Mine was Chervonoarmiiska, or Palats Ukraina as it's called now that soviet names aren't kosher anymore.

Looks like a minor modification of the 81-717 yea, which doesn't surprise me since that model was used in pretty much the entire sphere of soviet influence starting in the early 80s. You could easily build this from an 81-717 kit buuut I had to look long and hard to even find that; If you or Smoke really would like to invest the effort I can link you the dude's page but I do have to warn you, this kit cost me a lot of money. As far as I can tell it's the only option.

Speaking of: I've built the first linkage bit from plastic plates + rod!

The black bit on the left is what the kit came with. It's not perfect, but I'm pretty proud of myself considering the scale of it... And I'll have plenty opportunity to improve, considering I need to build 9 more of these.
Test fit on the train:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
This is a fascinating build, please keep us updated!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

good posting lately. Train stuff was getting sparse around here.

speaking of which, anyone doing boats right now?

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Are there any other good brands for cars besides Tamiya and Revell? I last built a Chevy Chevelle from Revell and am currently working on a McLaren MP4/8 from Tamiya. I don't really know what I want for my next build so I've been scrolling through what Tamiya has, but what other companies are out there that make quality car models I should know about (very new to scale models)?

Also, any tips to getting a flat finish while painting? Switching from acrylic to enamel seemed to help a lot but my paint jobs still look amateur as hell. Any way to get a smooth finish besides making the leap to an airbrush?

Immolat1on fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 27, 2019

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Immolat1on posted:

Are there any other good brands for cars besides Tamiya and Revell? I last built a Chevy Chevelle from Revell and am currently working on a McLaren MP4/8 from Tamiya. I don't really know what I want for my next build so I've been scrolling through what Tamiya has, but what other companies are out there that make quality car models I should know about (very new to scale models)?

Also, any tips to getting a flat finish while painting? Switching from acrylic to enamel seemed to help a lot but my paint jobs still look amateur as hell. Any way to get a smooth finish besides making the leap to an airbrush?

Fujimi and Aoshima are both very good. Hasegawa isn’t bad, but they don’t seem to release many newly tooled kits. All of these manufacturers make very few US automaker kits, however.

I’ve never built these personally, but Italeri and Heller are generally considered hit or miss. The 1/12th Italeri kits are awesome though. The Mefistofele is on my bucket list.

If you have money to burn(like, a lot of money), there’s lots of good multimedia kits, chiefly Model Factory Hiro. Their line is almost entirely motorsports, however. Profil24 is also well regarded, but with the same caveat.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Salon interior! I was originally going to just modify the original bits, but the proportions were just off enough that it would be more hindrance than help. I was worried my hard work would be totally invisible in the end, and while it's indeed impossible to take a good photo with the interior installed, actually turning the model in my hands I find it adds a great sense of depth which makes me happy. A photo for reference:

A note on this photo: I chose the mid-2000s as my era to model, which is a notable time in the history of the kiev metro only in that it's just before they started covering every available centimeter with ads. (I get *really* mad about those ads, but that's a rant for another time.) Beyond that and 2 changes to the exterior paint scheme the appearance of the basic 81-717 has not changed an iota since its introduction in 1980, only internal bits have been modernised. In fact, the metro still runs rolling stock originally from 1964 to this day right alongside the shiny new all-Ukrainian 2013 model, which is a major contributor to the historic atmosphere.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Brushing light colours on a black background is hell.

Just needed to vent

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jonny Nox posted:

speaking of which, anyone doing boats right now?

I have three boats started, but haven't actually done anything for months. Really need to get back to it, but just seem to always not have the time due to many things going on in life now, or I'm focused on other stuff (I tend to go in binges - whether it's modelling, reading books, or playing games).

Someday I will get back to it for sure, just don't know when!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Molentik posted:

Brushing light colours on a black background is hell.

Just needed to vent
Depending on what you're doing, working up in tones is viable. I paint a lot of things various shades of brown before I put down some white and then a light colour when painting by hand.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

I made a thing then photographed it with a sophisticated 5 camera array to get max detail then applied a filter that masks most of the fine details so it looks like I did a fine job on this build.

Maybe the panel lines got a little out of control. Maybe I'm into it.

Arii 1/32 Honda S600.

https://imgur.com/gallery/lp75exS

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I love any tiny Honda. How'd you like the build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I had to put the body in brake fluid to reset the paint job I ruined with incompatible clear coat. And the pieces, especially clear, are molded disastrously.

But it was a quick build and came out ok.