Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1144030/Pesterquest/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oh my God, is this going to be the "befriend Earth teens" equivalent of Friendsim?

Can't believe we're getting a sequel this soon. Cool!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Looks dope

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So since it says

quote:

Timelines collide in the next chapter of the Friendsim story! Pesterquest is the latest visual novel in the Homestuck universe; discover all-new stories about Homestuck’s classic cast of characters.

I assume we're going to have Friendsim type stuff but with the actual Homestuck characters this time? Which is way more interesting to me than Friendsim was. I couldn't get interested enough in more random trolls to pick that up.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

Looks dope

It's (technically) a continuation of the epilogues.

Plom Bar. The time has come.

Make the omelette.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Lol, the MSPA reader gets fed up with the non-answers of the epilogue, stumbles into retcon powers, forgets everything, and ends up bouncing through time, befriending the kids and trolls all willy-nilly.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Make the omelette.

Words to thrill the soul.

[S] Omelette.

Also, hmmm

https://twitter.com/traceExcalibur/status/1164574723432300544

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 22, 2019

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This game can only end one way.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait a minute...14 releases, two paths each...that's twenty eight routes.

There are 8 kids and 12 trolls, that leaves 8 open spots. If we get routes for both Cherubs that still leaves six, wonder who's going to fill them?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Self-insert versions of the top posters in this thread.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Self-insert versions of the top posters in this thread.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
this was aranea's plan all along

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Wait a minute...14 releases, two paths each...that's twenty eight routes.

There are 8 kids and 12 trolls, that leaves 8 open spots. If we get routes for both Cherubs that still leaves six, wonder who's going to fill them?

- Return of popular friendsim trolls?
- Joey?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

lol if you didn’t consider a route with fedorafreak

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I might get this is it has real characters rather then some fantrolls. Boom went there.

But I do kinda hope this doesn't require having played friendsim to be enjoyable? I just kinda didn't feel much appeal in a whole bunch of new troll characters. I just kinda feel burnt out on trolls and troll culture after like, 26 of them?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It feels like it doesn’t require Friendsim knowledge. I mean the trailer shows you the pertinent parts of Friendsim to understand the premise of the new game.

But who knows, maybe Doc Scratch won’t let you play until you prove you know every Trolls’ classpect.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Make the omelette.

I do not like seeing the reader with defined shoulders. Not Canon

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
gently caress yes, friendsim was the best homestuck content of the last few years, this is the ambrosia that I need

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I’m hype.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Excited for Homestuck as a service.
Go to Homestuck 30330.
Homestuck Onlyfans

Ten year season pass.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Make the omelette.

I will make the omelette and I will choose as my movie Deep Impact starring Morgan Freeman as The Black President

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

I will make the omelette and I will choose as my movie Deep Impact starring Morgan Freeman as The Black President

Excellent, you are a person of honor and distinction. Also, you technically only need to do one of those things to satisfy the terms of the bet, but if you wanna do both I fully support you. Post your omelette picture and recipe and movie review whenever, no rush.

Still can't believe I won, and so quickly! Props to WhatPumpkin for getting organized and releasing things in a timely fashion.

Anyway, I've heard that the first two routes are John and Rose which would make sense, but I can't find a source so I may be misinformed.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Homestuck as a webcomic that was continued by official fan-fiction that was continued by a visual novel where a reader personification unsatisfied with the fan-fiction enters the story to mess around with it is... well, it's on brand.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/roberteggpen/status/1164875589590892549

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is that

Is that Sans’ jacket

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

No, it's MSPA Reader's troll bathrobe that they've been wearing forever.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

They ditched the bathrobe at some point for a dress that they wore to Chixie's performance, and at some point that got traded for Mallek's Hoodie

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

They ditched the bathrobe at some point for a dress that they wore to Chixie's performance, and at some point that got traded for Mallek's Hoodie

Whoops. I'm only up to Volume 12, and I'd forgotten about the dress.

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
The Hussman himself dropped a little bit of commentary on the nature of the Epilogues, here is the transcription:
https://old.reddit.com/r/homestuck/comments/cuywff/the_homestuck_epilogues_bridges_and_offramps_new/

I think it is pretty neat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Some bits of it are neat and interesting. Here, though:

> . Wherever the most conscientious and invested members of fandom want to drive this universe,

I am unhappy that an overall statement so self-referential and ironic can coexist with an abstract determination of "conscientious". Like Act Omega is invested as hell, because of the time and media commitment, but does that mean it should be driving the universe? "Interesting" or even "deep" would be one thing, but "conscientious" and "invested" are explicitly value judgments of the quality of the fans themselves. Like, yes, shitposts and poo poo fic/art/music abound. But how, once we've thrown out 99% of the stuff, do we (or rather Hussie) determine who's conscientious enough?

> And I think this can only happen if now and then fandoms are seriously challenged, by being encouraged to think about complex ideas, and made to feel difficult emotions. I believe when art creates certain kinds of negative feelings in people, it can lead to some of the most transformative experiences art has to offer. But it helps to be receptive to this idea for these experiences to have a positive net effect on your life, and your relationship with art.

And this just makes me feel flat-out condescended to. I mean, dude, I read all of Thomas Hardy in a month once. (Do not recommend.) I know how to deal with challenging and painful art. The assumption that fans need to cope with difficult subject matter to experience the transformative nature of art overlooks that many fans deal with that subject matter elsewhere, in other canons and indeed in real life.

It's Hussie, who knows how much of that is seriously meant.

Here is the thing, though. Oscar Wilde and P.G. Wodehouse are both as exquisitely constructed and carefully thought out as Thomas Hardy and Algernon Swinburne. Joy in the midst of sorrow is just as transformative as sorrow in the midst of joy.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

In this sense, I think it's heavily implied to be a piece of bridge-media, which is clearly detached from the previous narrative, and conceptually "optional" by its presentation, which allows it to also function as an off-ramp for those inclined to believe the first seven acts of Homestuck were perfectly sufficient
(emphasis mine)

Oh boy.

"oh im not announcing anything" Oh you've announced plenty.

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 24, 2019

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

(emphasis mine)

Oh boy.

"oh im not announcing anything" Oh you've announced plenty.

welp

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
as a wise man once said, "It's all gone pear-shaped. I'm afraid there's no way around it, you have to cut my head off."

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Moreover, there's parts of this that are interesting, and there are parts of this that I kind of roll my eyes at. On the whole, this confirms a lot of my interpretation of Act 7/Homestuck as a self-contained narrative, and of the nature of epilogues' canonicity, but it's also a lot of stuff I feel is better left unsaid, left to interpretation.

I'm validated, but I don't necessarily like it.

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 28, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

He's definitely hinting that we should be wondering who the narrator of Candy is.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, it's kind of a shame What Pumpkin became so much of a business, because I'm getting the impression that Hussie is this close to just declaring Homestuck public domain and saying anyone's fanfiction is just as real as anything he might write.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Tenebrais posted:

You know, it's kind of a shame What Pumpkin became so much of a business, because I'm getting the impression that Hussie is this close to just declaring Homestuck public domain and saying anyone's fanfiction is just as real as anything he might write.

yeah but saying it doesn't deal with the issue of conflicting fan-canons

that's the entire reason, a need for a coherent and cohesive baseline to start from, for a canon to matter outside of literally just religion and intellectual property laws

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

saying anyone's fanfiction is just as real as anything he might write.
I thought he explicitly did that in the Epilogue? Not declare it public domain, but this.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Andrew Hussie posted:

Was it pure horseplay and trickery? Actually, yes, sort of.
:rolleyes: Always with the horses, huh?

I like reading this thread because I read that whole spiel and think "This is good and makes sense." and then come here and read about how it's actually bad and come to understand that I have a lot to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

life_source posted:

:rolleyes: Always with the horses, huh?

I like reading this thread because I read that whole spiel and think "This is good and makes sense." and then come here and read about how it's actually bad and come to understand that I have a lot to learn.
I dunno, the response to the epilogues in this thread were positive if not without flaws.