Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Got most of my mods setup and working, except one... on the topic of hair replacers, I was trying to get this thing working:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12004

With the Salt and Sand retexture so it looks less anime. Only problem is, even with the base KS mod installed and this installed after, and the mods shoved way at the bottom of the load order, none of the hair actually shows up on NPCs. It shows up in the character creation as a billion extra hairdos for my character, but not on a single NPC. Can't figure out why, and the mods own thread no one seems to be having that problem. The alternate KS Lite one also doesn't work. Am I just fucktarded and not getting something? I'm running WICO, but this is below it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
KS Hairdos adds new hairs, it doesn't replace them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Red Metal posted:

KS Hairdos adds new hairs, it doesn't replace them.

Hence the linked mod, which turns it into a replacer?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

That mod doesn’t replace anything, if you actually bothered to read the description. It just removes certain goofy looking hairdos from the list of choices when you’re making a character. If you want to replace NPC hairs, go look up a god NPC overhaul. Hell, there’s already one linked on that page, in Distinct People.

NuclearPotato fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 23, 2019

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

Hence the linked mod, which turns it into a replacer?

It replaces the .esp fron KS Hairdos, not the hairstyles in Skyrim.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Fuzz posted:

Got most of my mods setup and working, except one... on the topic of hair replacers, I was trying to get this thing working:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12004

With the Salt and Sand retexture so it looks less anime. Only problem is, even with the base KS mod installed and this installed after, and the mods shoved way at the bottom of the load order, none of the hair actually shows up on NPCs. It shows up in the character creation as a billion extra hairdos for my character, but not on a single NPC. Can't figure out why, and the mods own thread no one seems to be having that problem. The alternate KS Lite one also doesn't work. Am I just fucktarded and not getting something? I'm running WICO, but this is below it.

None of the big hair collections or the one you linked will affect any NPC's hair. The one you linked literally just does

quote:

A simple .esp replacer for KS Hairdos to remove hairs that clip with breasts or otherwise feel out of place. There are still a lot of choices

The only solution I've seen is getting an NPC replacer like the Bijin ones, which will change the body and the hair. I don't think there's any mod that leaves the NPCs but just modifies hair.

I haven't used WICO in ages but last I heard it also fucks with a lot of other stuff.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 23, 2019

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you plan on using WICO I definitely recommend using the WICO cleanup script

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Has anyone actually tried this LC Citadel mod?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/27059

It looks nice, but from the little I played? Woof! The description of the mod says there's an introductory quest though the catacombs. Nobody in the castle will react to you in any meaningful sense except the guard to the catacomb. They won't say anything, or verbally respond to your response of which the only option your given is something to the effect of "What's wrong with the catacomb?" at which point they'll silently hand you a letter, full of very wildly mischaracterized Balgruf telling you to please clear the catacombs and there are two other people to help, waiting in the guards barracks. You go to get them, they're running the housecarl ai package, including calling you thane, and offering you dialogue options about your responsibilities as such. Remember, this is the first time you've set foot here. So, fine! You step down into the catacombs. Down a short set of stairs is a long wide corridor full of 12 "feral falmer" packed against each other. Such is life, you slay them. (This may be extremely difficult if you intended to start this early, since each individually is fairly strong and you'll encounter them twelve at a time) While you're killing however, you might notice the quest tracker updating to say "1/48 falmer killed"

Oh hell yeah I love it.

So you "killall" in the console a couple of times, reach the end of the first area and pass through to the second only to kill more falmer...

And see "1/48 falmer killed"

So I killalled them, made it through, and thought "man, this mod is just bad."

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Heads up for for anyone playing the mod VIGILANT (SE version) - if you go Imperial for the Civil War and complete that quest (or it could be conflicting with Skyrim Reputation idk) Jorleif obviously won't want to talk to you. Spamming the gently caress out of E eventually forces his dialogue box to appear and you can go on your merry way.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 24, 2019

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
For special edition has anyone tried using True Hybrid - Tainted Blood with Sacrosanct & Moonlight Tales for a while and can speak to the game stability with all that going on? Seems like the perfect recipe for a giant mess, but it's fun being a humanoid vampire and also have a fun transformation form (werewolf).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pyrotoad posted:

Heads up for for anyone playing the mod VIGILANT (SE version) - if you go Imperial for the Civil War and complete that quest (or it could be conflicting with Skyrim Reputation idk) Jorleif obviously won't want to talk to you. Spamming the gently caress out of E eventually forces his dialogue box to appear and you can go on your merry way.

Yeah but why would you ever play an Imperial you loving monster.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Fuzz posted:

Ulfric is a murderer and a racist.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fuzz posted:

Because the Nords are somehow stupider and more racist than going Imperial

If I'm an Argonian/Orc/Khajit/Elf/Breton/Redguard why in the gently caress would I side with people constantly saying poo poo like 'Skyrim for the Nords only' and calling me racial slurs.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fuzz posted:

Some people, like Quisling or the Vichy government, can't help but suck off their foreign masters.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fuzz posted:

In addition to what everyone else has said, the Thalmor are the real enemy and a united Empre, or as united as it can possibly be because lol Hammerfell, is needed to even have a hope of surviving the onslaught when the Aldmeri Dominion launches Great War II.

Also Ulfric is a double-blind Thalmor asset. They loving hate him, but they’re rooting for him to cause as much damage to Skyrim and the Empire as he can, win or lose, because that’s a fuckton less Nords that they have to kill if they’re already dead thanks to Ulfric’s dipshittery.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 24, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: tasteless

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Randaconda posted:

edit: tasteless

I mean, it wasn’t exactly wrong... but yeah.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The whole civil war quest in Skyrim is garbo and I'd like to slap both factions and the elves and call it a day. If you have to choose a side though, I think I'm going to hard-pass on the xenophobic kin-slaying rear end in a top hat faction.

its like the stormcloaks were created to make the imperials look good by comparison and its that one comic but 'wow cool vikings' instead of a robot for a lot of people

And that's being...somewhat charitable about what people are reading into the Stormcloaks. But yeah, at least the Imperials remaining in the region and allied is a slightly bigger middle finger to the elves, who are the biggest jerks of all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
When I’m out on the roads I let every Imperial and Stormcloak patrol go on their merry way, because you sort your own poo poo out, boys. But every Thalmor patrol I encounter, especially if they’re carting a prisoner somewhere, let’s just say they don’t make it to wherever they were going :getin:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

When I’m out on the roads I let every Imperial and Stormcloak patrol go on their merry way, because you sort your own poo poo out, boys. But every Thalmor patrol I encounter, especially if they’re carting a prisoner somewhere, let’s just say they don’t make it to wherever they were going :getin:

I like going to that Thalmor fort way up north and using Storm Call, after sneaking way up somewhere I can easily shoot them from.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Long run (medium run, even) the Thalmor are pretty irrelevant because their entire civilization is going to be swiftly converted into a giant smoking crater by the Last Dragonborn regardless of which side he chooses in the Skyrim Civil War.

It's kinda the other stupid thing about the whole civil war questline, that both factions treat the LDB like an errand boy when in fact he is going to rule whatever he wants to until he dies of old age.

The real pro move if the game allowed it would be to side with Ulfric, and the instant he's coronated High King say "hey Ulfric, I lay claim to the High Kingship and challenge you to personal combat for it, you would never disrespect the Ancient Nord Traditions right? :smuggo:"

e: the other thing that is stupidly never even a tiny bit addressed by the script is that the Emperor is an old guy with no obvious heir and the LDB has an extremely legitimate claim to the Imperial throne.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 24, 2019

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Imperials: "Okay, we signed this dumb treaty that was very obviously designed to cause infighting in the Empire. Everyone get's this right? No one is going to enforce all that dumb poo poo about the Talos ban though. So everyone be cool and just play pretend while we build up our armed forces to punch the loving elves' faces in."

Ulfric: "I'm very racist idiot who's hungry for power. Let's assassinate my king and pretend it was a duel. Brutally slaughter indigenous people to please my racist base. Also use the resentment over having to sign a humiliating treaty that ended the Great War to start a new war. ... What's a Hitler analogy?"

Edit: Let's respect that edit....

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: the other thing that is stupidly never even a tiny bit addressed by the script is that the Emperor is an old guy with no obvious heir and the LDB has an extremely legitimate claim to the Imperial throne.
Not really. Sure, they could take the throne by being the biggest badass around. But a Dragonborn Hero and the line of Dragonborn Emperors are two separate things.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 24, 2019

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Eric the Mauve posted:

Being Dragonborn doesn't actually make you a candidate for Emperor, it's the sort of thing that people who happen to also have a huge army and de facto control over multiple provinces use as a justification for rule.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wiegieman posted:

Being Dragonborn doesn't actually make you a candidate for Emperor, it's the sort of thing that people who happen to also have a huge army and de facto control over multiple provinces use as a justification for rule.

exactly the same justification as to why my dude should be king in CK2 most of the time

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Eric the Mauve posted:

Long run (medium run, even) the Thalmor are pretty irrelevant because their entire civilization is going to be swiftly converted into a giant smoking crater by the Last Dragonborn regardless of which side he chooses in the Skyrim Civil War.

It's kinda the other stupid thing about the whole civil war questline, that both factions treat the LDB like an errand boy when in fact he is going to rule whatever he wants to until he dies of old age.

The real pro move if the game allowed it would be to side with Ulfric, and the instant he's coronated High King say "hey Ulfric, I lay claim to the High Kingship and challenge you to personal combat for it, you would never disrespect the Ancient Nord Traditions right? :smuggo:"

tough to rule whatever you see as your domain when your soul is sorting out dewey decimal cards for Hermaeus Mora for eternity

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

tough to rule whatever you see as your domain when your soul is sorting out dewey decimal cards for Hermaeus Mora for eternity

That’s why you wait for Apotheosis to finally release so you can go be Oblivion and kill all the Daedric pricks who lay claim your soul. Old Hermy’s gonna have a hard time sending you to go track down an overdue copy of the Joy of Argonian Sex when he’s a green puddle of goo on the floor of his library :fuckoff:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

This is the correct way to play. :hmmyes:

I really do wish someone had modded in a third "Helios" style option for the Civil War plot... ideally with you basically kicking Ulfric's poo poo in in a duel, then taking over as Emperor and declaring Skyrim ostensibly free as long as they ally with the Empire against the Thalmor.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fuzz posted:

This is the correct way to play. :hmmyes:

I really do wish someone had modded in a third "Helios" style option for the Civil War plot... ideally with you basically kicking Ulfric's poo poo in in a duel, then taking over as Emperor and declaring Skyrim ostensibly free as long as they ally with the Empire against the Thalmor.

I think that's probably going to be the option Bethesda goes with ultimately for TES6's backstory. Ulfric himself doesn't win, because lol gently caress his racist rear end, but his ideas do, so Skyrim becomes Hammerfell 2, functionally independent but still in an alliance with Cyrodiil vs. Aldmeris.

Everyone wins! :buddy:

Except Ulfric and the Thalmor, but they all suck

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

It's hosed up that the civil war is the main plot of the game when fighting the Thalmor is a much more interesting and more pressing matter

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Especially since outside the main plot they do gently caress all with the Thalmor except for the Mages guild questlime. And there you're thwarting literally one dude and get an order of walking Deus Ex Machinas to hold your hand through it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I always play on the side of taking everybody's stuff and hoarding it in my improbable house.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I made a Redguard recently and was considering joining the Stormcloaks and coming at it from an anti-Empire angle, but you have to turn on your pals and be okay with Argonians living in poo poo conditions and that's just not acceptable .

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

docbeard posted:

I always play on the side of taking everybody's stuff and hoarding it in my improbable house.

If your bed isn't covered in a pile of slowly vibrating garnets and rubies, are you even really playing Skyrim?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rainbow Knight posted:

I made a Redguard recently and was considering joining the Stormcloaks and coming at it from an anti-Empire angle, but you have to turn on your pals and be okay with Argonians living in poo poo conditions and that's just not acceptable .

I've been playing a Redguard lately too and I like to imagine after I walk into Castle Dour to go tell Tullius some quest-related thing without joining the Legion and he's like "is there a jail cell I can help you find", my Dragonborn replies with the 2nd verse of 99 Problems only with the Second Treaty of Stros M'Kai in the place of the Constitution.

Because I can just hear Michael Hogan in my head bemusedly going "Are you some type of lawyer or something?"

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Fuzz posted:

Why do you hate Balgruuf you loving monster :colbert:

There's also the inherent stupidity of the Stormcloaks glorifying 'true nords' while at the same time revealing that the 'true nords' are just too good for something as lowly as bringing in imports from their major sea port so they make the argonians do it but also don't want to pay them a decent wage for their vital work and resent that they're even there... doing the hard work the 'true nords' are too whiny and pathetic to do...

It's like the idiots in Rapture who forgot that in an underwater city of only the best and brightest, somebody's still got to clean the bathrooms. The Stormcloaks all want to go to Sovngarde as GLORIOUS WARRIORS and they'll gently caress over any and everyone around them they view as lesser to get there - even including other nords who buy into their poo poo!

Bulfrek: "Skald, if you don't mind, sir, I have a request."
Skald: "You, have a request of me, Bulfrek? [laughter] This should be interesting."
Bulfrek: "Well, I was thinking, sir, with the war going on and all. Maybe, I could enlist? Fight the Imperials?"
Skald: "A servant? Enlisting in the Stormcloaks? [laughter] Ah, Bulfrek, that's why I like having you about. You're always good for a laugh."
Bulfrek: "Uh, yes sir. That's me. Your oafish servant."

Skald: "Bulfrek, I have an order of swords and armor from the local blacksmith coming here. I need every piece polished to a fine shine."
Bulfrek: "Yes, my Jarl. We could hardly waste anyone else's precious time on such a tedious task."
Skald: "Exactly, Bulfrek. You always know your place."

Also also their hatred and belittling of magic users when magic users are more than welcome in Sovngarde.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 25, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You know Hold Guards, Stormcloak Guards and Imperial Guards all share the same dialogue. The only difference is that there are a few specific extra lines.

Imperial Guards are programmed to call players of every race citizen.

Stormcloaks Guards are programmed to bust out specific racial slurs.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 25, 2019

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The stormfront rebellion is bad and people who join it should feel bad

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Applying real world logic to the civil war stuff is some star wars episode one poo poo. Yes trade embargos and treaties, very interesting but this is a series where reality shattering events are part of the canon and the dragonborn is very much a god.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I feel like the opening cutscene, aside from being a way for the game to continue the trend of "every mainline ES game has you start as a prisoner", is also a way to justify why anyone would ever play a Stormcloak. They try to make the imperials look as bad as they can out of the gate because the Stormcloaks spend the rest of the game being a bunch of hypocritical racist dumbasses and making themselves look as bad as possible. Especially at Windhelm, the seat of their power. The Empire ain't all roses and song either, but Ulfric looks kind of prophetic when you consider this game is from 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If they wanted me to consider going Stormcloak, they should have installed a couple Stormcloak jarls I would feel really bad about throwing out on their rear end. Instead there are only two cool and good jarls (Idgrod and Balgruuf) and they're both Imperial aligned, and the Stormcloaks get superstars like Skald and Laila. I hate being forced to put loving Maven on the throne when I should be crucifying her outside the city gate, but if I go Stormcloak I'm forced to do the same goddamn thing with the Silver-bloods.

Also I think Elisif is supposed to be portrayed as a hopeless total incompetent (we want to make her High Queen of Skyrim? Really??) but if that's what they were going for they should have made her more of an arrogant and stupid incompetent like Laila. Instead she's portrayed as a like 19 year old girl thrust simultaneously into widowhood and jarlship who's trying too hard because she's painfully aware she's faking it and has no idea what she's doing, so I just feel bad for her, and I feel like Skyrim's in pretty good hands with Falk and Tullius being its de facto civilian/military rulers. Much better than it would be with Ulfric anyway.

I actually think Elisif's characterization is well done by Skyrim standards. But it only makes the player even more inclined to go Imperial.