Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Tsed posted:

Who knows what "a lot of credits" means for these things, ofc.

It means they haven't decided yet and are going to see how much players grind in anticipation of buying one when they release.

e:

One in the Bum fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Good to know Star Citizen is still in a neck and neck battle against what is now effectively an old game, where even the original studio that built it has already built two other whole, entire, award winning games.

Uh... good job guys. I bet Star Citizen is totally gonna come out and really show Elite Dangerous who's boss, 6 or so years later.

I for one can't wait to experience their whole 2 or 3 star systems or something eventually?

I think it will be Frontier's 4th released game after ED. There's Planet Coaster, the Jurassic World Evolution, some Lost Winds platforming game from 2016 (though I had never heard of that last one until now) and soon that Planet Zoo thing.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Bofast posted:

I think it will be Frontier's 4th released game after ED. There's Planet Coaster, the Jurassic World Evolution, some Lost Winds platforming game from 2016 (though I had never heard of that last one until now) and soon that Planet Zoo thing.

Not to mention future unannounced titles Elite Dangerous 2: The Dangerring, Game Dev Simulator: a VR Experience with expansions No There's Actually Not That Much to Understand and Fidelity

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I have been worried about that very thing myself. Sadly, this was the fate of SOTA. That said, there are some things that might help keep this just on the side of funny:

1) Garriott was a beloved icon and actually did the work he claims credit for, and gives credit to people who did the work he didn't. I was lucky enough to meet and talk with him about this and that, and I still consider it a privilege despite the recent turn to ... whatever happened. He's always been gracious (although let's say eccentric) and he still is. He deserves the credit for his successes and he keeps that distinction no matter what's happened since then. That makes this sad.

2) Chris is an arrogant blowhard whose ideas are, on the surface, absolutely idiotic. They're idiotic under the surface, too. He took full credit for absolutely everything done in a 5-mile radius of his body, and has obfuscated his actual functions so completely that decades later nobody is really sure who made Wing Commander outside of the cutscene dialog and that one blue pixel. He fucks over everyone he works with, and with such regularity even Metamucil has cause to be jealous. That makes his failure funny.

3) The backers are where we have a tie. There's a mix of that Kazans and such that deserve everything they're getting and so much more, but sprinkled among them are people who genuinely appear to have deep-seated issues and will be very considerably and directly hurt by what's coming. Being too stupid to avoid being scammed doesn't mean they deserve to be scammed - intelligence isn't always a virtue, I know lots of kind dumb people. I'll take them as friends over a smart prick any day. That makes Star Citizen funny AND sad.

I think the Hollywood term for what's coming is "bittersweet."

At some point ending this project really will be a kind of mercy, even if it's only for the poor devs who keep having to make and remake things because they happened to apply for a job under Chris Roberts.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The FIRST thing they absolutely have to get right in a space combat game, the combat, is completely broken and getting worse, yet people continue to throw money at CIG. I just. Don't. Get. It.

But.... you can walk around!!!!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Carriers are coming!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNNj97HznUU
(In Elite: Dangerous.)
(Derek's valor; found this on his forum.)

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Elite Dangerous built its game and universe from the bottom up, and are expanding and polishing it into an actual somewhat enjoyable game. They're putting out a massive multiplayer carrier, and they're releasing it to people who own the base game. They're not even trying to milk expansion purchases out of it. It's amazing what a company can do when it has a healthy revenue stream and a realistic business model.

This is being announced alongside of Star Citizen's 1000$ "carrier" that doesn't even have a functional hangar that is being implemented in a game with one star system devoid of any meaningful gameplay.

Good job, Frontier.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 23, 2019

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Idris and Bengal carriers finally in game. About time CIG.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

MedicineHut posted:

Idris and Bengal carriers finally in game. About time CIG.

Massive FUD Surge Detected.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Someone should do a janky shot-by-shot recreation of that trailer using an 890. I know someone in this thread owns one "ironically."

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
NMS added wavy hands for station crew.

Also NPCs seem to be conversing in alien languages.

Thread intern, best not to tell Chris :ohdear:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Krycek posted:

Elite Dangerous will have carriers earned via gameplay before Star Citizen's $1000+ macro-transaction mega chariots are even seen in the gamemodelviewer.

Elite Dangerous will have *bigger* carriers.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Massive FUD Surge Detected.

Worthy of thread title, Shirley

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

Worthy of thread title, Shirley

And i was going to suggest Star Citizen: pick a pocket or two.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Krycek posted:

"beta" could be as little as only a few missions. They'd be able to say "we don't want to spoil the ending for you so the last half of the missions won't be included." The backers will cheer for "no spoilz" and Chris doesn't have to finish the game.

And it's going to be really boring missions, full of pointless steps like going to a station, talking to one person, going to another station, talking to another person and then flying to to some asteroid and killing 4 pirates. And the backers are going to assume this is the least detailed mission and how it's good for a tier zero and just imagine the real missions. Then as more missions enter the beta there is a slowly creeping cloud of dread when it becomes blindly obvious that the first mission released was the mission CIG spent the most time with and every mission just has less details and objectives and everything is downhill from here.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The FIRST thing they absolutely have to get right in a space combat game, the combat, is completely broken and getting worse, yet people continue to throw money at CIG. I just. Don't. Get. It.

Reminded me of this, from 2014...

Vanduul Swarm; V09.1 w/ Mouse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3ZvnUnUkU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Even loving Space Engineers are making more progress than Star Citizen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz9JdUfmQO4

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

AlbieQuirky posted:

I’m paper books being used in space. In 2948. Because that makes a whole pile of sense.

To be fair, it matches the character of the kind of person who owns a fancy space chariot. Rich future morons will absolutely fill their spaceships with their own time's stupid obsolete hipster poo poo.

We'll all be dead before that ever happens for real though, and also before it ever happens in SC

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Maltloaf posted:

Don't know if you all missed this from the interior 890 screenshots a few pages back, but those book titles man, someone is on point.

EASY MARK :laffo:

So, english is not my first language, and I didn't know what Disaproa meant. So I googled it, and ... it's a typo?

A 900$ typo, apparently. :negative:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1164860324668944385

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:ironicat:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

And i was going to suggest Star Citizen: pick a pocket or two.

I'm seeing Crobblers as the Artful Dodgy

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

jfc

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yes, try to wave hello as all 4 run past you in different directions followed by rent-a-cops.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

rePool posted:

Any tips? I haven't played ED in a long while and 200m\h sounds drat good. I stopped playing due to the hours upon hours getting no money and found passengers to be more of a steady income but boring.

I'd start here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteMiners/wiki/index

For core mining, you're looking for a void opal hotspot, and you'll be cracking open asteroids to collect a cargo full of void opals. You then head to:

https://inara.cz/goods/10250/

And hit "best sell" to find a place near you buying them for 1.6m. Rinse, repeat. This method requires some new modules that the link above should cover ( https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteMiners/comments/a6ls9t/cmdr_madprophets_guide_to_core_mining/ )

Painite/Low Temp Diamond mining is more like what you might've seen before where you point a laser at a rock and collect the bits with limpets -- the difference is that Frontier added "hotspots" that increase the rate at which you find certain types of minerals. These hotspots can overlap to increase that rate even further, and people have documented them. Head to:

http://edtools.ddns.net/miner

Pick a reference system, pick painite or LTDs. The system will tell you where to find a overlapping hotspots, and where to sell.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

AlbieQuirky posted:

I’m paper books being used in space. In 2948. Because that makes a whole pile of sense.

I'm the mutiple copies of the same book sitting side by side on the shelf.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes, try to wave hello as all 4 run past you in different directions followed by rent-a-cops.

As "yakety sax" plays in the background.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Star Citizen's PTU has 500 players at most (4m43s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUDqtO0Lzqs&t=283s

Isn't there something like 3000 people in Evocati alone?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

loving :lol:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
"Come see us, CIG, completely legitimate game development studio, but you gotta act fast!"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

As "yakety sax" plays in the background.

Orchestrated by Pedro Comacho and on the official soundtrack promised by the kickstarter.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Krycek posted:

"beta" could be as little as only a few missions. They'd be able to say "we don't want to spoil the ending for you so the last half of the missions won't be included." The backers will cheer for "no spoilz" and Chris doesn't have to finish the game.

Yeah, that's what I suspect they are going to do, but the roadmap seems to suggest they're working on EVERY chapter at once in some capacity. So if they're doing it that way, it's going to be a number of disconnected chapters, story-wise.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I think a question to ask if Roberts is actually still alive as the 1/4 billion dollar project careens back and forth on the rails into history and oblivion.

Bring back that 10ftc crap.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Orchestrated by Pedro Comacho and on the official soundtrack promised by the kickstarter.

Actually orchestrated by the Portsmouth Sinfonia tho

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:lol:

peter gabriel