Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Fart of Presto posted:

There was an article on Ars some weeks ago about this problem.

It apparently also affects the Nine email app and the learning part of SwiftKey.

I use SwiftKey. I take it the learning process is a one and done thing, and if I've already done it this won't be a problem going forward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Wow I hate the new swipe on video in the YouTube app to go to the next video. I keep doing it by accident.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

SkyTube, YouTube Vanced, NewPipe...

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I want to know what dipshit decided that Spotify should get rid of is Android widget.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Montalvo posted:

I want to know what dipshit decided that Spotify should get rid of is Android widget.

I never understood the point of that widget. Why not just use the controls in the notification area?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Montalvo posted:

probably the same dipshit who disabled the landscape view for the now playing screen

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Maps is constantly popping up with "loading stopped check your internet connection," except, it's not stopping, that I can tell anyway. It's been doing this for a long time, through many versions and on more than one phone. According to my google-fu, I am one of two people on the planet who is getting this, and the other person didn't get any answers.
This is hardly a "problem" since as I said it's working fine. Just curious if anyone has any ideas.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I get that every once in a while and it's annoying as hell
Force closing does nothing to help, and it usually happens in the middle of a trip where I actually need the navigation

e: this has only ever happened to me on my pixel 2

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

So your loading does actually stop, or...?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Yes, usually after a few hours. Yours is all the time, every time?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there a list anywhere of what voice commands Android Auto can understand while offline? I have the world's worst data plan, so I only use AA in offline mode to play music from my SD card. I'll say "Hey Google, shuffle music" and it works perfectly, but sometimes I say "Hey Google, play [Artist]" and it'll start giving me the whole spiel about being offline. This is just using AA on the phone itself, not through a head unit or anything.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Try telling it specifically to play from your library?

It kept bitching at me that it couldn't play an album that I bought through Google Play Music because I didn't have a subscription until I told it specifically to look at my library.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Stevie Lee posted:

Yes, usually after a few hours. Yours is all the time, every time?

I think you misread my post. I keep getting the toast, but loading not actually stopping. Everything continues working fine.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Something weird happened. I hope this is the right thread and you guys and gals can help me, because I'm no good with android.

The play store disappeared from my phone.

It's not just gone from my home screen, it's not disabled, it's just... gone. This morning it showed the default (?) android icon on my homescreen instead of the play store icon, and when I tapped it I got an error:

quote:

com.google.android.finsky.application.ClassicProdApplication keeps stopping
Part of that was cut off, don't know what it said completely.
I then restarted my phone, hoping that it would fix it, and since then it seems to have disappeared from my phone. It's not under settings > apps, not disabled, not hidden as a system app, nothing. Just gone.
How do I fix this? Googling doesn't really help. I think because it's always preinstalled in supported devices, they don't offer an easy link to just redownload the app.

I'm on a samsung SM-J710FN, android 8.1.0

Thanks in advance. I'd like to avoid the hassle of a factory reset, but if all else fails...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Maybe install the APK? https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-store/

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Thanks, I'm wary of downloading and installing APKs not from the play store for obvious reasons, but that seems legit. It keeps crashing though.

e:
Uninstalling and it asks if I want to replace it with the factory version, but then it doesn't do anything. Still gone. I'll just do a factory reset this evening, I guess.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 21, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taeke posted:

Thanks, I'm wary of downloading and installing APKs not from the play store for obvious reasons, but that seems legit. It keeps crashing though.

e:
Uninstalling and it asks if I want to replace it with the factory version, but then it doesn't do anything. Still gone. I'll just do a factory reset this evening, I guess.

In Googling I did find others with your problem but no resolution. I'd factory reset but obviously this shouldn't happen and I do worry you might have failing storage. I'd make sure you're as backed up as you can be.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think maybe they just did an update to the Play store. I could've sworn it suddenly looked slightly different at some point yesterday, but I'm not 100% sure. I also had a random install of Play Services or something like that out of the blue yesterday while I was trying to do something else.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Taeke posted:

Something weird happened. I hope this is the right thread and you guys and gals can help me, because I'm no good with android.

The play store disappeared from my phone.

It's not just gone from my home screen, it's not disabled, it's just... gone. This morning it showed the default (?) android icon on my homescreen instead of the play store icon, and when I tapped it I got an error:

Part of that was cut off, don't know what it said completely.
I then restarted my phone, hoping that it would fix it, and since then it seems to have disappeared from my phone. It's not under settings > apps, not disabled, not hidden as a system app, nothing. Just gone.
How do I fix this? Googling doesn't really help. I think because it's always preinstalled in supported devices, they don't offer an easy link to just redownload the app.

I'm on a samsung SM-J710FN, android 8.1.0

Thanks in advance. I'd like to avoid the hassle of a factory reset, but if all else fails...

I've had that happen for apps that are installed to my SD card, but I don't remember it happening to the Play Store*. Sometimes, I just have to wait, and they come back after about 5-10 mins. Other times, I have to power off the phone, then take the SD card out and put it back in, power up, and wait about 10-15 mins. for them to come back.

Do you have Google Play Services showing in your Settings > Apps list?

Taeke posted:

e:

APKMirror is hosted by AndroidPolice. It's a very trustworthy site. They'll never have any cracked/hacked/etc. APKs on there.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Google Play services is fine, as is everything else as far as I can tell.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

I never understood the point of that widget. Why not just use the controls in the notification area?

The controls in the notification area aren't always there; say if you're going to start a listening session, or if you've had Spotify paused for a while and disconnected your headphones / started listening on a different device. Rather than being able to control the app through the widget and just start listening again, I now have to open it up entirely. I also don't understand the reasoning behind removing an optional feature that probably does not cost a significant amount of time and resources to maintain.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taeke posted:

samsung SM-J710FN

No offense intended, but that's an old garbage phone that was a subpar option when it was brand new. I wouldn't put it past that you might have some kind of storage failure that is causing issues.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

No offense intended, but that's an old garbage phone that was a subpar option when it was brand new. I wouldn't put it past that you might have some kind of storage failure that is causing issues.

None taken, I'm quite aware. It's served me well over the last couple years, all I need it for is calling, texting, awful app and youtube, but I was thinking of upgrading anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Haha, Hangouts dying has been kicked even farther down the road. How are they so bad at this?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The team in charge of shutting down Google services has done some amazing shutdowns over the years, but sadly the time has come to ....

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

While I understand that's a joke (and a funny one), it got me to thinking about whether the Google Shutdown Team actually has done any "amazing shutdowns". Has there ever been a service they've killed in order to replace it with a new service that actually did so well?

The closest I can think of is Picasa > Google Photos but was that really a shutdown if it's desktop software?

Talk > Hangouts actually still hasn't happened as I think there's a way to still be using Talk, at least there was up until a couple years ago because I knew someone who refused to move on.

Maybe I'm insane but wouldn't the proper way to do this be making the replacement then announcing the change and making it available all at once? What is the logic to announcing you're discontinuing something a year or two before you do it while simultaneously having the replacement available immediately but in a completely unsuitable state to serve the purpose you've announced? I generally feel I have a good handle on Google's internal logic and motivations but they've done this enough that I'm genuinely curious what they're thinking.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Didn't get around to do a factory reset last night but did find out that youtube, twitch and gmail no longer work because google play services is 'not supported', so there's definitely something fucky that goes deeper than just the play store being gone.

Whatever, ordered a new phone this morning that should arrive this evening. Samsung galaxy a10, cheap but good reviews.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What's the go to messaging app that will grant me some creative license with its presentation?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

codo27 posted:

What's the go to messaging app that will grant me some creative license with its presentation?

WhatsApp and Telegram both support backgrounds if that's what you mean?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want more than just changing backgrounds

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

codo27 posted:

I want more than just changing backgrounds

Just say you want to draw happy faces on your weiner, dude.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Medullah posted:

Just say you want to draw happy faces on your weiner, dude.

Oh, good, now I'm imagining an app that let's you automate this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggg3C87UVCY

Can I get some VC money?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

At a minimum, I just wanna be able to change the background, bubble colors, maybe fonts as well. Not a whole lot here. All that should be baked into the default sms app but google wants everything on your phone to be as bland as possible, in order to remain in line with iOS

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I use Mood Messenger for that exact reason. I don't use some of them, but you can do per-contact backgrounds, bubbles, and tones. Doesn't do fonts, as far as I can tell, though.

I like it a lot and had a friend convert over to it once I showed them. I like the way the quick reply popup works, too.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 23, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh yeah. Thats what I was looking for.

You can change fonts too! I may piss my google survey money into them for the premium lifetime pass.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh, yeah, you can do it on an app level, just not a per-contact level.

I don't know what the premium offers, honestly. I've never felt like I needed it, but it does look like it's on sale or something.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Textra is what I use. You can customize all kinds of stuff on a per contact basis. Colors, text sound, LED blink color, vibrate patterns…

Also, they offer different emjoi packs

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 23, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I used that for a period as well, not sure why I stopped really. Maybe in transition from phone to phone?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I used to love Textra, but once Messages for web came out and Pushbullet became nearly unusable without a subscription, the benefit of texting from my PC outweighed the cosmetic appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Medullah posted:

I used to love Textra, but once Messages for web came out and Pushbullet became nearly unusable without a subscription, the benefit of texting from my PC outweighed the cosmetic appeal.

Same.