Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Schwarzwald posted:

Stuff like that gets real weird when you deal with gods and the souls of the dead and such. Her plan, while miserable for the dwarfs, is actually the less dangerous one for the mortals as a whole.

During the Godsmoot, Loki says that if the last gate falls, they have ten to fifteen minutes to pull the plug before the Snarl eats everything. If that's true, and that is what they intend to do, then Hel's plan is strictly worse than that because it leaves out the possibility of sealing the rifts with purple, or at least stopping Xykon.

Which reminds me, does Hel know about the purple quiddity? I read through it again and it doesn't say, unless I missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Raenir Salazar posted:

Because in theory you always need a god of the dead;

My previous Dungeon World campaign begs to disagree. A major plot point was that at some point Death had gotten eaten and the afterlife was now carved up between whoever has the force of arms to hold a bit of it. The souls of the dead just showed up randomly in the afterlife as refugees and got pressganged into slavery, forcibly conscripted, eaten, or made into jewellery depending on which rear end in a top hat owned the area they had the bad luck to land in.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Whybird posted:

My previous Dungeon World campaign begs to disagree. A major plot point was that at some point Death had gotten eaten and the afterlife was now carved up between whoever has the force of arms to hold a bit of it. The souls of the dead just showed up randomly in the afterlife as refugees and got pressganged into slavery, forcibly conscripted, eaten, or made into jewellery depending on which rear end in a top hat owned the area they had the bad luck to land in.

So... Wraith: the Oblivion, basically.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Whybird posted:

You're world isn't Rich's though. The death of a god could have profound cosmological effects beyond just making their next of kin sad.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

looks like the northern pantheon’s going to need a new sexy, shoeless, god of death then!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Soup du Jour posted:

looks like the northern pantheon’s going to need a new sexy, shoeless, god of death then!

Apotheosis seems like a cheap out for the prophecy also he's gunning for tyr's job

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think the most likely end for Belkar's arc really is ending up as a Chaotic Neutral Sexy Shoeless God of War. It would narratively satisfy his change in alignment while still keeping that identity he affirmed for himself way back when he was having the MoJ fever dream.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
See this is the problem of this slow rear end burn comic strip. I can't recall a single goddamn thing about why they're in dwarf lands or what Hel's plan is

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I was actually expecting Belkar to get vamped here to fulfill his prophecy.

Calaveron posted:

See this is the problem of this slow rear end burn comic strip. I can't recall a single goddamn thing about why they're in dwarf lands or what Hel's plan is

Hel wants the world destroyed so she can absorb a shitload of dorf souls and become the most powerful god of the yellow pantheon. All this poo poo in dorfland is because the vote to destroy the world ended up in an elaborate tie and the tiebreaker is the dorf council vote.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Calaveron posted:

they are up there because the last gate is in dwarf lands and also because they want to stop hels plan to subvert the godsmoot voting on wether or not the world will be destroyed. hel wants the world to be destroyed so she can harvest the energy of every dwarf who dies since they will not die in combat, giving her outsized influence in the next world

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Calaveron posted:

How? Hel wants the world to end, the gods were voting to end the world, there was a tie; so the tie breaker goes to the dwarven clans; the vampires went there to try to mind control them to voting to end the world; doing so serves Hel because it damns all Dwarves to a dishonourable death ergo giving her enough power to have a leg up over Loki and Thor in the next world; or perhaps potentially is needed to save her from possibly dying because Loki messed up.

The plot is actually pretty simple and I haven't reread Oots in over 6 years; just checking in this thread probably suffices.

e: The last gate being in Dwarven lands is the only pertinent detail I forgot about but was surely going to be reminded of when the comic swings back to Team Evil.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
When was the last time we saw Xykon and the others

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Your time has no value
Check archives
Get treat

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Calaveron posted:

When was the last time we saw Xykon and the others

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ikanreed posted:

Apotheosis seems like a cheap out for the prophecy also he's gunning for tyr's job

My personal crackpot ending theory is that everything the gods are planning* will fall apart and the world is headed for the brink of destruction, only for another god with their own quiddity to arise at around the same time. That's the only apotheosis ending I will accept for Belkar.

*At least Hel, The Dark One and Thor and friends. I'm pretty sure that Tiamat and the Fiends are scheming for the birth of another unsponsored god, though they probably don't have Belkar in mind.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Your time has no value
Check archives
Get treat
thread title

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

*At least Hel, The Dark One and Thor and friends. I'm pretty sure that Tiamat and the Fiends are scheming for the birth of another unsponsored god, though they probably don't have Belkar in mind.

Destructive, unnecessary conflict is both what they do AND what created The Dark One.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

PMush Perfect posted:

I think the most likely end for Belkar's arc really is ending up as a Chaotic Neutral Sexy Shoeless God of War. It would narratively satisfy his change in alignment while still keeping that identity he affirmed for himself way back when he was having the MoJ fever dream.

That would be a pretty huge swerve from the slow burning set-up we have now, where Belkar is slowly becoming a better person as he's also slowly inching towards death. Like I'm sure Burlew could find some way to make it satisfying, but as things stand it would just undermine the direction he's been taking Belkar this whole time for no particular reason.

(Also, like...why would becoming a god mean he couldn't have birthday cakes.)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

That would be a pretty huge swerve from the slow burning set-up we have now, where Belkar is slowly becoming a better person as he's also slowly inching towards death. Like I'm sure Burlew could find some way to make it satisfying, but as things stand it would just undermine the direction he's been taking Belkar this whole time for no particular reason.

Diagnosed with celiac disease and he just can't get any proper gluten free substitute :rip:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

As the sole god of a new pantheon, he will have no co-deities to buy him cake, and Belkar's not going to buy his own birthday cake.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

wdarkk posted:

Destructive, unnecessary conflict is both what they do AND what created The Dark One.

The Fiends having the arrangement they do would suggest that they're trying something like what the current gods do. They don't want another Snarl accidentally, so they've worked out a system that prevents conflict and are working to create a new quiddity. Having one would give them a huge bargaining chip in this world, or the next assuming they can make it there. It's just a guess, but it looks like it might be what they're doing.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Eifert Posting posted:

Your time has no value
Check archives
Get treat

I want it known that I just reread up to the part where Miko kills Shinjo and that it's still an amazing sequence

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doing an oots reread is always worthwhile

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Brainamp posted:

I want it known that I just reread up to the part where Miko kills Shinjo and that it's still an amazing sequence

That was the most current set of strips up when I became current on the comic, oh so long ago... I was forever hooked at that. I think the specific one i hit was when she breaks the gate and man, what a place to end up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My personal crackpot ending theory is that everything the gods are planning* will fall apart and the world is headed for the brink of destruction, only for another god with their own quiddity to arise at around the same time. That's the only apotheosis ending I will accept for Belkar.

Well, no, Banjo is the obvious choice there. One new god possessing the entire quiddity would be too unstable, you need a new pantheon. Luckily Banjo already has Giggles and Banjulhu so he's well on the way.

Odin like puppets.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Three: he's a puppet

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

I think that phrase might have been a "metaphor"!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Elan is really suggestible and also incredibly sincere. Tell him Banjo needs purple quiddity and he will believe it with all his heart. He's also charismatic and had no trouble recruiting those orcs to the church of Banjo & Giggles.

Banjo 2020

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I’m gonna do it guys
It’s gonna happen
I’m gonna reread the entire fucken thing

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Calaveron posted:

I’m gonna do it guys
It’s gonna happen

It goes quicker than you're thinking.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gally posted:

That was the most current set of strips up when I became current on the comic, oh so long ago... I was forever hooked at that. I think the specific one i hit was when she breaks the gate and man, what a place to end up.

Mine was a hex grid joke during the sidequest to repair the sword

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It goes quicker than you're thinking.

Right? I stopped reading early in the desert right after Elan met his dad and there really weren't all that many strips after that point when I picked the series back up in 2016. The newest one had Roy and Durkon fighting at the Gods Moot

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Calaveron posted:

I’m gonna do it guys
It’s gonna happen

Do it with the books if you've got them.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

sebmojo posted:

Doing an oots reread is always worthwhile

I reread all the books when I received 5, i'll reread it all again when I get 6.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

seaborgium posted:

The Fiends having the arrangement they do would suggest that they're trying something like what the current gods do. They don't want another Snarl accidentally, so they've worked out a system that prevents conflict and are working to create a new quiddity. Having one would give them a huge bargaining chip in this world, or the next assuming they can make it there. It's just a guess, but it looks like it might be what they're doing.

The Snarl comes from divine arguments, though. Fiends aren't divine - they don't have to worry about their conflicts causing another Snarl. (Also, the IFCC is just a pilot project, while the Blood War continues to rage. So if intra-fiend conflict caused a Snarl, it would have already happened.)

The other thing is, Thor said that after every world is destroyed, the gods go around and mind-wipe outsiders (like the fiends). So they wouldn't remember any of this stuff anyway, and the gods are prohibited from telling them unless they find out somehow. I don't think they knew about any of this until Sabine found out and then went and told them. (And then they immediately went and struck a deal with V, which seems clearly related.)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It'd be a tough spot if an outsider had a diary and maybe a distracted thor missed it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

reignofevil posted:

It'd be a tough spot if an outsider had a diary and maybe a distracted thor missed it.

Presumably when it's *all* the gods working together they have like a Mind Wiping Familicide like spell that takes care of it that affects all possessions and stuff.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Presumably when it's *all* the gods working together they have like a Mind Wiping Familicide like spell that takes care of it that affects all possessions and stuff.

Mandela's Greater Disjunction

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wonder how much the OoTS world is his campaign setting from that contest a decade ago

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Len posted:

I wonder how much the OoTS world is his campaign setting from that contest a decade ago
He's been pretty clear in the past that he can't use that campaign setting any more because of an NDA and signing away the rights for the contest, but I don't know how long that lasts for.

And it was almost 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Android Blues posted:

Mandela's Greater Disjunction

That's not what I remember that spell being called...