Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

axelord posted:

You might have a solution for cooling down your Metal Refinery in the first picture. As long as the ethanol is cool enough to not vaporize when it's used as coolant you can send it straight through the Metal Refinery and down to that Petrol Gen to be burned up.

Also you should be able to make ceramics in a Kiln. It has a 200+ temp property and can be used in pipes and making a Metal Refinery.

I'm pretty sure ethanol is not as good at heat transfer as water/polluted water though? Ethanol has a heat transfer capacity of 0.171, water is 0.580, doesn't that mean water will transfer a lot more heat per, uh, whatever unit of time/heat/mass?

Reaching that stage of "oh no I regret everything" - I passed up on slickster eggs/larva three times or so and really should have taken them, although I'm at the point I can just go down and trap some, I have everything needed to do that.

I'm about out of ethanol (can go harvest some more from various rust biome pockets) and power production is falling short now but I can go get some slicksters and bring up a second generator and more ethanol distillers, I finally figured out auto sweepers and rails so moving the lumber around is not as big deal any more although the poop dirt overruns my ability to compost it, I don't know how to clear it fast enough (was thinking of grabbing some pokeshells to just feed it to them).

Faldoncow posted:

For Lime which is the only real challenging material to get, the easiest thing I've found is just making a few Atmo suits and send some dupes into the oil biome to harvest Fossil. That can be pulverized into Lime and is often the easiest way early on to get some initial steel going.

I had no idea of this, thanks so much (need to just read a bit on the steel making process tbh).

e: here's most of the inner colony :unsmith:

note to self go exploit that nat gas vent

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Faldoncow posted:

Pre-space materials, the only thing I need high temp material for is Aquatuners, and even they benefit a lot from using steel over gold so skipping gold on Arboria hasn't hurt too much. I've built my smelter area in a cold biome, and just use the passive cold temp to keep the machinery cool while using polluted water as coolant fluid and dumping the 60 C + waste water into a insulated holding tank (No clue what I'll do with it, but whatever). This got me 2-3k steel and let me build my geothermal plant (needed 1x steel aquatuner, and a few steel bits like a water tank or gas pump). It's been a bit of a pain not having gold for just lazy 'high enough temp' machinery, but honestly just rushing a bit of steel on a crude setup isn't too difficult or worrisome. Once you can build a steel aquatuner, building a aquatuner + steam turbine cooling setup is easy enough, and can use that to cool your smelting facility and expand it as needed.

For getting the materials for steel, well iron is easy enough. Refined Carbon is easy to make from the Kiln, although you need a lot less of it then you might expect; a single craft makes 100kg and steel only takes 20k per. For Lime which is the only real challenging material to get, the easiest thing I've found is just making a few Atmo suits and send some dupes into the oil biome to harvest Fossil. That can be pulverized into Lime and is often the easiest way early on to get some initial steel going.

One possible use, if you take the P Water all the way up to Steam you get clean water and a small amount of dirt from it. Not sure you need either of those but it was one way people used to dirt farm back when it was a rarer resource on the regular map. Could use space heat to boil it off and shoot that poo poo off in steam rockets.

Also if you grow thimble reed somewhere cold or run a good coolant in pipes directly behind the plant thimble reed loving murders polluted water. I routed my cool slush line behind oxyferns while feeding them ~80C water.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 22, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Problem with grabbing slickster is they're in a hot biome and the trap is made of plastic. I frequently end up building walls behind them one tile at a time and forcing them somewhere the trap won't melt.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

you're much better off stealing their eggs, to be honest

this is why slickster eggs is one of the best things you can get from the printer

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah I usually set a storage with slickster eggs where I want them to go and hope my dudes scoop any up. Just keep an eye on critter egg in the storage overview, then once you have the eggs you can deselect the storage and they’ll drop out on the floor. This works for any critter assuming you don’t need them ASAP, all wild critters will lay an egg in their lifecycle if left alone in reasonable climate conditions.

Do note you need to let the eggs out before they crack open from lack of air in the storage, but a storage container in your kitchen holding all eggs you don’t want is an automatic egg cracker, so that has its positives. I set up incubators for each animal I care about, clock cycle to them to only be on 5%, then increment them all so my power draw for the whole stack is only 240w at any given time. I use that system to maintain my animal stock. Number of incubators varies per animal but usually just 1 per egg type and then stop giving a poo poo about counts. After a while the hatching cycle will line up with the death cycle.

Also for anyone who didn’t know you can click on items in the storage overview on the right and it’ll pan your camera, keep clicking for every separate instance. Note this only includes accessible items, so if you wall off an area or drop stuff into a pit your dupes can’t reach it won’t count those

The only exception is the critter inventory mod will count and pan to all wild critters that have been visible on screen at least once, which is a loving amazing mod and everyone should get it.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 22, 2019

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I need some help understanding the Automation thingy, or just pipe mechanics in general.

I don't understand this:

I set my stuff up so my rooms will get heated automatically as needed, by putting a sensor in the Cot area, connecting it to a Liquid shutoff with Automation wire so heated liquid does not enter unless needed, except my Shutoff is "disabled by automation grid" despite temperatures being appropriate, if I am reading it right my Sensor is sending BOTH a Red and Green signal. I don't get it. All other Pipeness seems to be in order.

I am also using way more Shutoff and Valves than seems warranted as the liquids and gases seem to want to go back the way they came whenever I set up pipe networks that diverge or reconnect at points, is there a trick to making pipes go the way you want beyond just spamming Shutoffs and Valves or pipe removing and re-building until it clicks?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is the wire under the thermo sensor actually constructed? It doesn't look like it's properly connected.

Pipe bridges are one way only, so if you want to stop backflow, just put a pipe bridge in.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Does the sensor require power?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I've occasionally run into a bug where a thermo sensor says it's sending a green signal but the wire is red. Try toggling to from Below to Above and back, see if that fixes it.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
The wire was connected and constructeed.

Triarii posted:

I've occasionally run into a bug where a thermo sensor says it's sending a green signal but the wire is red. Try toggling to from Below to Above and back, see if that fixes it.

This was it! Glad I had not fundamentally misunderstood how things work.

Thanks for the fast input guys

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mazz posted:

One possible use, if you take the P Water all the way up to Steam you get clean water and a small amount of dirt from it. Not sure you need either of those but it was one way people used to dirt farm back when it was a rarer resource on the regular map. Could use space heat to boil it off and shoot that poo poo off in steam rockets.

Also if you grow thimble reed somewhere cold or run a good coolant in pipes directly behind the plant thimble reed loving murders polluted water. I routed my cool slush line behind oxyferns while feeding them ~80C water.

Since you have no swamp/slime biome on arboria you have very little PH2O, and zero thimble reed seeds even if you do. Unless you are lucky with vent cool steam vent placement you have to either melt melt ice from frozen biomes, or desalinate salt water from tide pool biomes. The salt water is 35 or so degrees and I really don't have any idea how to cool things in the early game so I went with melting ice via tempshift plates. I'm not at the point where I can afford to grow thimble reed because I haven't collected a lot of polluted water, my only other source of it besides frozen biomes has been the single petrol generator that I'm now having a hard time fueling with our traditional ethanol, and dealing with oil will be a first time thing for me :shrug:

At worst though I can have everybody run mousewheels and it'll be ok :unsmith:

bird food bathtub posted:

Problem with grabbing slickster is they're in a hot biome and the trap is made of plastic. I frequently end up building walls behind them one tile at a time and forcing them somewhere the trap won't melt.

good tip, thanks!

Mazz posted:

The only exception is the critter inventory mod will count and pan to all wild critters that have been visible on screen at least once, which is a loving amazing mod and everyone should get it.

also a good tip, thanks!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 22, 2019

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Triarii posted:

Yeah this happens a lot. When an automated device isnt working just toggle it on and off once.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
So what's the best way to disinfect regular water? Google turns up multiple old methods that apparently no longer work according to responses from others.

e: Just noticed my clean water reservoir has something like 300k germs per block.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Sticking it in a liquid reservoir within a room full of chlorine until the germs die off. Siphon out and repeat until all clean.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
You can also heat it until they rapidly die off, unless that runs counter to your purposes (such as using it to water plants)

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm pretty sure ethanol is not as good at heat transfer as water/polluted water though? Ethanol has a heat transfer capacity of 0.171, water is 0.580, doesn't that mean water will transfer a lot more heat per, uh, whatever unit of time/heat/mass?

Due to the way radiant pipes work (they use average themal conductivity of the two substances rather than the lowest) the thermal conductivity of the fluid ends up being largely irrelevant. When I used metal refineries to boil petroleum it was advantageous to use naphtha (TC of 0.2) over petroleum (TC of 2.00) as the heat transfer fluid because of its slightly higher heat capacity despite having one tenth the thermal conductivity.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/ctt0dc/all_i_wanted_to_do_was_play_a_game_not_become_an/

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Smiling Demon posted:

Due to the way radiant pipes work (they use average themal conductivity of the two substances rather than the lowest) the thermal conductivity of the fluid ends up being largely irrelevant. When I used metal refineries to boil petroleum it was advantageous to use naphtha (TC of 0.2) over petroleum (TC of 2.00) as the heat transfer fluid because of its slightly higher heat capacity despite having one tenth the thermal conductivity.

Also, metal refineries are kind of magical in that they'll add a fixed amount of heat to their coolant (dependent on the metal you're refining) completely ignoring its thermal conductivity as far as I know. The only thing a low thermal conductivity means is that you'll need longer radiant pipes wherever you're exchanging the heat, which is usually no big deal.

Specific heat capacity is usually more relevant. It determines how much the temperature of the liquid rises when it receives a given amount of heat, and also determines how efficient an aquatuner is when cooling the liquid (since they lower the temperature by a fixed number of degrees, which translates to more heat for a higher specific heat capacity).

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Triarii posted:

Also, metal refineries are kind of magical in that they'll add a fixed amount of heat to their coolant (dependent on the metal you're refining) completely ignoring its thermal conductivity as far as I know. The only thing a low thermal conductivity means is that you'll need longer radiant pipes wherever you're exchanging the heat, which is usually no big deal.

Specific heat capacity is usually more relevant. It determines how much the temperature of the liquid rises when it receives a given amount of heat, and also determines how efficient an aquatuner is when cooling the liquid (since they lower the temperature by a fixed number of degrees, which translates to more heat for a higher specific heat capacity).

Yep. Another more extreme example I can give is using conveyor rails to transfer heat from magma. Ceramic (TC: 0.62 SHC: 0.84) beat diamond (TC: 80 SHC: 0.516) for heat transfer with a medium sized heat exchanger. Ingeous rock is even better, but can't handle magma temperatures without some intermediate contraption.

It is only on the conveyor rails though that you get materials for which thermal conductivity matters more. Abyssalite (TC: 0.00001 SHC: 4) is no good.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 23, 2019

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RandomBlue posted:

So what's the best way to disinfect regular water? Google turns up multiple old methods that apparently no longer work according to responses from others.

e: Just noticed my clean water reservoir has something like 300k germs per block.

Germy water comes in from the pipe on the right. Setup the bridge as pictured, with an element sensor placed where you see it. Then connect element sensor to valve on the left. Fill the atmosphere to the brim with chlorine and NOTHING ELSE.

Edit: I have both clean and pwater do this, since sometimes clean water gets germy. Also recommend that gets put in the OP or something because this question gets asked every other page. It might be handy.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also my tip with liquid tanks for water and pwater storage: with the slightest planning, you can make your initial water tank the right size to fit several stories of tanks and set up your loop so that everything ready to go out to your system is in tanks, but any overflow will just fill the room around the tanks. If that’s not pure it won’t matter, since it’ll have to siphon through several tanks (if set up correctly) before it gets out into your plumbing.

It might be kind of obvious but I had to make a logical jump from “area with chlorine that I pump to in order to purify water” to “just put an airlock on the water tank and pump it into tanks and fill it with chlorine.”

I put vent tiles between the P water and normal water too, so even my P water in tanks is germ free, if for some reason it matters.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Flesh Forge posted:

PH2O is better but the idea is to use a liquid you are already destroying as coolant. The liquid is heated up by the Metal Refinery and then the Heat is destroyed along with the liquid when it's used.

So the ethanol is used as a coolant and then destroyed in the Petrol Gen with all the heat from the Metal Refinery. Just an idea not sure if it will work. I've only had one successful colony so far.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I think that should work but that kind of setup makes me uneasy because I'm worried that my generators won't be running enough to eat up the ethanol, so I'll end up with a backup of scalding liquid. My preferred approach in my last colony (since I wasn't getting crazy with cooking crude oil or anything) was to use petroleum as the coolant and pipe it through a steam room with a couple of turbines. Nice and self-contained, and I think it might even be power-positive when you're refining steel.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

[quote="Smiling Demon" post="497719264"]
I'm a little wary of ethanol now for cooling the generator because it vaporizes at 78C, and the pisswater is doing completely great keeping it cool, it's actually been below 20C for a while now and I don't think it's quite bottomed out.

without really thinking it through I stabled a slickster there to eat up the CO2 but it died because it was too cold :(

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 23, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
lol, this does look a lot like some of my undergrad homework.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

axelord posted:

PH2O is better but the idea is to use a liquid you are already destroying as coolant. The liquid is heated up by the Metal Refinery and then the Heat is destroyed along with the liquid when it's used.

So the ethanol is used as a coolant and then destroyed in the Petrol Gen with all the heat from the Metal Refinery. Just an idea not sure if it will work. I've only had one successful colony so far.

This got nerfed, since a lot of machines now (as of launch) will output significantly hotter outputs or raise their own temperature with hot inputs. It's pretty much steam turbines or space now.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Triarii posted:

I think that should work but that kind of setup makes me uneasy because I'm worried that my generators won't be running enough to eat up the ethanol, so I'll end up with a backup of scalding liquid. My preferred approach in my last colony (since I wasn't getting crazy with cooking crude oil or anything) was to use petroleum as the coolant and pipe it through a steam room with a couple of turbines. Nice and self-contained, and I think it might even be power-positive when you're refining steel.

Not really a solution but what I did last time was only allow the oil refineries (or distillers) to run after I had processed/heated the crude oil . Basically I tied a sensor to the output of the metal refineries so when it was heated past a certain point a pipe temp sensor would kick it out of the loop and then a liquid sensor would trigger a shutoff to let more oil in from the input pipe. Because the liquid sensor works on the exact same flow rate as the input, you always had a balance of input to output, and then you can loop it easier. That output heated oil would then hit the oil refineries, get converted, and then stored for power or whatever.

For ethanol it would work a bit different, you'd have to set it up to trigger activation of the distillers and you'd probably need to add a buffer so dupes have time to get over there and do things. This doesn't solve the problem of not using the ethanol fast enough to process it out though, especially if you're onto solar as the main power generation. The oil system worked better in that the oil was the working fluid and destroyed right after by converting to petroleum.

You might be able to do something similar and tie it into your turbine thing, basically just making the ethanol/petro refining tied to your refining needs, only producing what you need to keep the system going.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 23, 2019

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I find myself using the reverse power transformer more and more these days. I just got done threading like 4000kg of conductive wire from the oil biome to my power plant so that I could run my petroleum generator next to my slickster farm. It's nice for the emergency hamster wheel too: you don't really want heavy wire next to your manual generators, so you can just plug them into a reverse power transformer to hook them up to your main power. This does mean they can't see how much power you have stored up in your main battery, uh, battery, but you can still control hamster wheels with smart batteries, so you can just use automation for that.

I just piped a bunch of oxygen into the big building on the surface, because I thought it would be cool if my dupes could just hang out there. And it is cool! Except it's actually incredibly hot, because it's in space... whoops.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

insta posted:

This got nerfed, since a lot of machines now (as of launch) will output significantly hotter outputs or raise their own temperature with hot inputs. It's pretty much steam turbines or space now.

Algae terrariums still delete a lot of heat if you feed them hot water. Doesn't scale well since it requires a lot of dupe interaction though.

insta posted:

The output p-water is the same temp as the input water, so that doesn't work anymore :(

Did that just get hotfixed? They definitely still create heat if you feed them cold water.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 23, 2019

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

nrook posted:

I find myself using the reverse power transformer more and more these days. I just got done threading like 4000kg of conductive wire from the oil biome to my power plant so that I could run my petroleum generator next to my slickster farm. It's nice for the emergency hamster wheel too: you don't really want heavy wire next to your manual generators, so you can just plug them into a reverse power transformer to hook them up to your main power. This does mean they can't see how much power you have stored up in your main battery, uh, battery, but you can still control hamster wheels with smart batteries, so you can just use automation for that.

Is the reverse power transformer a mod? Or a feature I missed?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
The output p-water is the same temp as the input water, so that doesn't work anymore :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Is the reverse power transformer a mod? Or a feature I missed?

I think they mean attaching a generator to a normal wire, then running it through a transformer to output into the heavy watt cable.

So it's a normal transformer, just being used backwards.

Or, uh, actually exactly how they're used IRL, stepping up the power from the power station onto the main grid, then down again at the other end to be used.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Basically what it allows you to do is put a hydrogen generator on the far-rear end corner of the map where your random hydrogen geyser is, run a bugfuck-long regular copper cable across the map back to your main base, and feed a reliable 800 watts back into the main grid. Without the transformer isolating the two, you'd end up having to either:

* Pipe the hydrogen all the way across the map to your power station
* Run heavy-watt wire all the way over to the generator

This isn't a new behavior of transformers, it's just becoming more popular lately. I think streamers have been focusing on it more and that makes it into general playstyles now.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I had no idea you could do that! I thought they were only one-way. Show me up for running heavi-watt wire half-way down the map to that steam geyser I'd set up a turbine on...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've done it before but was never quite sure whether it would work entirely reliably, does it literally just make the transformer function as a wattage output equivalent to whatever's going in the other end?

How does it handle batteries? Like if you have a battery on both sides of the transformer what is the, uh, transfer rate I guess, between them?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I've done it before but was never quite sure whether it would work entirely reliably, does it literally just make the transformer function as a wattage output equivalent to whatever's going in the other end?

How does it handle batteries? Like if you have a battery on both sides of the transformer what is the, uh, transfer rate I guess, between them?

It literally makes the transformer behave as a fixed-wattage output of the generator. It works intuitively enough, it's easy to play with. Try a small build and watch the "overproduction" reports to make sure you don't need automation somewhere.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Algae terrariums still delete a lot of heat if you feed them hot water. Doesn't scale well since it requires a lot of dupe interaction though.

You can automate every aspect of this except building them, even picking up the pisswater. Autosweeps can do every task except mining and gathering the algae, if you have the ins and outs it's just figuring out how to set it up. You don't have to manually water each algae farm, you can just semi submerge them in low water and that works too.

the only thing dupes have to do is put algae in the box, although if you had a rail setup you could drop it there but dupes will have to put algae in whatever feeds that so :shrug:
if you don't happen to have an open piss dump conveniently right next to your algae farm you could just drop it in a little 2x2 hole with a pump in it, none of this draws power until it's actually doing something. Autosweeps are really neat.

e: I take part of that back, the autosweeper isn't emptying them :(
yeah it won't do the emptying or bottle dumping job so don't bother with that but it definitely does the feeding part, and the standing water on the floor works fine.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 23, 2019

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Running plain wire across the map is way more feasible when your world has the “Metal Rich” trait.

I totally forgot about that aspect of transformers, though, time to make my power rooms decor positive again!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
That's weird, I thought that you couldn't do that anymore. They must have changed it back at some point.

Incidentally, Oxyferns (if you can get your hands on them) convert carbon dioxide into oxygen using only water and are more efficient than an oxyscrubber, but you need a lot of them because they are a bit slow. This can be good if you find you are running short on sources of algae and don't want to contribute to the heat death your base as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The duplicants need to pump them out and also empty out the piss bottles, from when I tried it, but you can automate supply of other resources.