Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

dog nougat posted:

Tried again at a level.

Icy Cave Mountain Climb
BM1-M3B-CJG

I really like the weird, unconventional paths you set up. They make it feel like a very weird traditional Mario level, because despite the path being different you can still easily follow where you're supposed to be going. I did stupidly think I was right above the stage end when I came out of your bonus room and tried to float over it, only to gently not have enough time to get back to solid land which was funny. That's on me though, this was good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live in 10 minutes if you want to see some goon -made Mario levels!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Race to the Bottom
By: Timotheous Venture BHR-1VK-P1H

2. Basicman Castle Stage
By: Sneaky Wombat JLY-SQT-1KG

3. High/Lo Evening Jaunt
By: Timotheous Venture 8D2-W2M-BNF

4. Boom-Boom Doom Room
By: Gnome Enthusiast 821-3W4-0LF

5. POWered Progression
By: Sam Faust DG8-V6G-M0G

6. Hanging Pipegardens
By: Phantasium S6C-M40-H8G

7. Dog Nougat's Stage
By: dog nougat N4K-43X-XFG

8. Spelunk 'n' Splash
By: In Training 8DS-8HT-VKG

9. Extremebuff's level
By: Extremebuff VWK-WH8-1YF

10. Mario's Time Machine
By: Suspicious Cook 42Q-91S-LVG

=Random Acts of Mario=

#1108 Find the Fireflower!
By: Gandor SMT-7H4-6GG

#88 The Wetland Warlords
By: ThisIsACoolGuy MSQ-4PQ-T1H

#270 Switching it Up, Mario Style
By: Lugaloco TYW-G34-WVF

#560 Low Gravity Level
By: Girl Drink Drunk YHH-QNX-WJG

#111 Please Learn How to Play Mario
By: J-Spot 1TF-C8F-YWG

#862 Duality of Choice - Part I
By: Nick Soapdish KDW-P9R-8WG

#559 Let's Talk About Hex, Baby
By: guppy Q3M-JWJ-4SG

#720 Grand Theft Clowncar
By: Antizorn BW6-B30-3HF

#145 Dismal Dawn
By: Random Stranger 5P4-6YJ-FVG

#868 Ghosts n' Secrets
By: Tirux WPP-W8P-BNF

#973 Floating Away, Fluffy and Free
By: Sam Faust CWJ-778-PQG

#97 Pirahna Forest 7QQ-YGB-PGF

#455 Palace of the Para-Beetle
By: ThisIsACoolGuy PQH-PF3-70H

#783 SMV 3-B Boiling Point Bastion
By: DarkLich NJ0-W1S-FPG

#555 Cloud Paradise
By: Movie Majick B15-NHP-2KG

#380 2-4 Race Space
By: Pixeltendo M8X-14B-V6G

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
Just another new level. Decided to try out some new mechanics with the superball flower.

30-50 Feral Hogs
ID: XD9-HKK-5LF

Just pretend the Monty Moles are hogs

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And that's a stream! ...It was incredibly long, my longest one yet! End of the VOD has some pretty interesting levels that I would recommend checking out. I'll probably go through the VOD tomorrow and pick out some of favorites (some good tough but fair stages.)

Link to the VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/471007247

See my post above for levels played

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks for playing my level (Let's Talk About Hex, Baby)! It is actually not a multiplayer versus level, although maybe it's better as one; that and the Auto-Mario tag were not the ones I set. I think I originally listed it as Short And Sweet and Speedrun, and it was designed with speedrunning in mind. The tags were changed by users. I've never locked my tags, but for some reason that's the only one people have changed. I think the level is maybe too short and easy -- I prefer my speedrun levels to be short, generally -- but you also missed a secret or two and didn't go for some of the optional coin bonuses, so it's even shorter. The second half was definitely inspired by that similar SMW castle level as you mentioned.

guppy fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 23, 2019

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

OneMoreTime posted:

And that's a stream! ...It was incredibly long, my longest one yet! End of the VOD has some pretty interesting levels that I would recommend checking out. I'll probably go through the VOD tomorrow and pick out some of favorites (some good tough but fair stages.)

Link to the VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/471007247

See my post above for levels played

hey I watched you play my level in the vod, you did it pretty quickly! thanks for streamin.

all my levels are pure platforming and speed lol none are as extreme as this one, I like making levels that look like something ninty would make, but I gotta make something sadistic now and then

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Internet Kraken posted:

Challenging and frustrating aren't the same thing. I love challenging courses, but a lot of courses that are meant to be hard are just bad.

If you want to make hard levels that people enjoy, the most important thing you need to establish is trust. A good level that is difficult is still a level where the player feels they can trust the game to be designed properly. Obstacles placed in a player's path should be clear in how they work, or give them ample time to figure them out. The player should feel like every death is a result of their own failures, not something they had no control over. That's the difference between a challenge and frustration.

Its really easy to violate the player's trust in Mario Maker with frustrating obstacles. Invisible blocks over a pit? That's not a challenge, that's just a cruel trick. Stuff like that, where you kill a player with a "gotcha!" trap that they had no way to know about, is just bad design. It can be funny in some context, but if you're making a level that random people will play you should avoid it at all costs. All you're gonna do is piss people off and make them skip your level.

A really good level in Mario Maker is one where I can play through it and not ever have to think "is this designed properly?". I can just play the game and put my faith in the designer to have done things well.

Some excellent advice here, I just wanted to add that everything is about context and you can play with some wrong/unfair ideas in a way that makes them work. Like, if you want to have a stage where invisible blocks over a pit is a game play element but aren't necessarily trying to make a super frustrating experience, make sure the first time it happens (or maybe the first few times) isn't an instant death - put a floor at the bottom of the pit or some springboards or a door to get out or something, so the player can learn that this is something that's at play without losing a life. Then when you move into lethal traps, make sure the player can see there's lava or no floor or whatever. Just thinking about this now, I'm actually kind of inspired to make a level where you think you're at the end and you jump for the flagpole, get invisible blocked and fall in a pit, but it's a fakeout and the path to the rest of the level is at the bottom of the pit.

Instant death doors and pipes would be very difficult to implement in a fair way, but you can tease those ideas. I like to occasionally have a door that drops someone in space and they think it's instant death but there's a floor at the very bottom. Bonus points if you use the airship theme, since the screen bobs up and down and they might not see the ground at all until they land on it.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 23, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

*watches VOD*

how in the everloving gently caress did that goombrat get there, i explicitly remember deleting him for the exact reason you thought he was annoying before uploading the level, drat it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://twitter.com/insanelybuff/status/1164291251547492352

heres a vid of the level being cleared in one shot. another thing that helps with speed at the start is sneaking between buzzsaws on the second falling platform instead of jumping over, saves over a second

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Perry Normal posted:

Some excellent advice here, I just wanted to add that everything is about context and you can play with some wrong/unfair ideas in a way that makes them work. Like, if you want to have a stage where invisible blocks over a pit is a game play element but aren't necessarily trying to make a super frustrating experience, make sure the first time it happens (or maybe the first few times) isn't an instant death - put a floor at the bottom of the pit or some springboards or a door to get out or something, so the player can learn that this is something that's at play without losing a life. Then when you move into lethal traps, make sure the player can see there's lava or no floor or whatever. Just thinking about this now, I'm actually kind of inspired to make a level where you think you're at the end and you jump for the flagpole, get invisible blocked and fall in a pit, but it's a fakeout and the path to the rest of t he level is at the bottom of the pit.

Instant death doors and pipes would be very difficult to implement in a fair way, but you can tease those ideas. I like to occasionally have a door that drops someone in space and they think it's instant death but there's a floor at the very bottom. Bonus points if you use the airship theme, since the screen bobs up and down and they might not see the ground at all until they land on it.

Yeah, that's kinda what I want to do with my levels. Want to make them somewhat maze-like, with the actual goal not apparent. Considering that I've only made 2 levels total I'm still learning what works and what doesn't. Makes me feel like I'm 12 again thinking about designing SMW levels. Should probably branch out and try some of the other games as well at some point.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Phantasium posted:

*watches VOD*

how in the everloving gently caress did that goombrat get there, i explicitly remember deleting him for the exact reason you thought he was annoying before uploading the level, drat it

Ha! I felt he was unintended. Maybe there was more than one? I didn't impact my enjoyment of the stage thankfully, what with the abundance of powerups.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Wanted to report back on my first few days of using my new 8bitdo SN30 Pro with Mario Maker. It's been pretty fantastic, and getting frustrated by controller responsiveness or issues with the joycon analog controls is a complete thing of the past. Though I havent tested it with any other non-MM2 games yet, I dont really foresee anything but awesome gaming with it.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
http://twitch.tv/zfleeman

Going to be trying to beat a cool level I saw on poo bear's stream.

The Thrice Sickle Icicle Bicycle
Y7D-DPC-HXF

Kid woke up from a nap screaming. Killed the stream.

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 23, 2019

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
The Destroyed World - 8B1-3V5-TGG - This went through a ton of work, a lot of which got thrown out because it didn't "click" but you can still see if you check the map thingie that appears when you click "more info." Anyway, it's a ghost house. Enjoy!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Timotheous Venture posted:

I made my first level using every new-creator's favorite gimmick, the red/blue on/off switches. Give that beetle shell a kick and then race him to the bottom of the course! (I admit there's definitely some jankiness to it. Will I do better next time? Who knows!)

Race to the Bottom: BHR-1VK-P1H

I submitted it to the Google doc and managed to mess that up, too: it uses the SMB3 theme, not SMB1.

Heh, I posted a level with the same name and a similar concept a while back. Yours is a bit more complex than mine but I liked it! Anyway here’s mine if you want to check it out:

0RW-8R9-9PG

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Okay, here's the first pass on the style guide:

Bridge Out Bayou

General Guidelines, for all worlds we create:
The style of all courses should be traditional Mario courses with light individual gimmicks as in SMB3 or SMW. Do not create puzzle courses (except for in fortress courses).
You can always use coins, 1-up mushrooms, and super stars as desired.
Try to have a total of 3-4 gainable lives in a course.
Each course should have a checkpoint flag.
Do not use clear conditions.
No naked pipes. (Or unconnected mushroom platform bottoms)
You can use ground, slopes*, pipes, brick blocks, and question blocks.
*(Note that in SMB style here, Mario cannot slide. Slopes still help with kicking shells though.)
Powerups should be progressive unless the gimmick of the course requires them.
Powerups should only come out of pipes if they are part of the course gimmick, otherwise all powerups should be in question blocks.
Enemies should not come out of question blocks, if enemies (or pirana plants) come out of pipes this should be signposted early in the level.

Story:
The bridge spanning over the Bayou has been ruined down by rampant kudzu. It's up to Mario to stem the green tide and defeat the piranha plants at fault.

Course Types:
All levels should be in SMB game theme.
Course difficulty should be moderate.
Courses (other than fortress) should focus on challenges one area rather than fill both the main and sub area with content.
The primary course type should be forest theme, day or night. You can choose whether the water is a major theme of the course or not.
Courses that do not use water as a major theme should restrict their height to a single screen. (Athletic courses are an exception.)
Subareas should usually be underground, but forest is also acceptable. These should mostly be restricted to single screen bonus areas using scroll stopping.
Secondary course types may be underground or underwater, and should start and end with small forest main areas. (Like level 2s of each world in SMB)
(You can make an exception from the theme types above if you want your level to be set in a vertical subarea.)
Athletic course types should be forest night theme. They can use the full vertical area of the map.
Fortress courses should be ghost house with forest subareas if they are used.
Courses in the second half of the world, after the (first?) fortress should be more likely to be forest night, or feature water level changes.
Castle courses should be castle themed with underground subareas.

Object guidelines:
All courses,
Use bridges and/or Mushroom Platforms in place of semisolid platforms.
Use munchers in place of spikes.
All pipes should be vertical (up or down).
Use coins in horizontal groupings, either in the air or on the ground. You should (usually) be able to collect all the coins in a grouping in one jump.
You can use super mushrooms, mega mushrooms, and dry bones shells*.
*(Note that the dry bones shell, in addition to allowing you to float on water also gives you the empowered stomp ability of the goomba shoe.)
You can use vines and P-switches.
The main enemies should be goombrat, buzzy beetle, and piranha plant.
You can also use goomba, cheep cheep, chain chomp, wiggler, hammer bro, and muncher.

Athletic courses,
You can use donut blocks.
You can use lifts, seesaws, and tracks.
You can use flying dry bones.

Fort (i.e. Ghost House) courses,
You can use hard blocks.
You can use doors, keys, and lava lifts.
You can use conveyors, grinders, and on/off switches.
You can use boo, dry bones, thwomp, bob-omb and Boom Boom.

Castle courses,
You can use hard blocks.
You can use conveyors, grinders, and on/off switches.
You can use burners.
You can use boos, dry bones, thwomps, bob-omb, and Bowser Jr.

Ask any questions/make any requests you have now and I'll put the finalized version up Sunday evening.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 24, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Not gonna lie a image would be a lot easier to digest than a block of words. Easier to remember what elements are greenlit and what aren't.

Also why are mushroom platforms banned? I figured they'd kind of be perfect for the aesthetic (unless it's just "don't have them floating in mid air")

That aside I'll go ahead and do a fort. Should there be a naming convention for these?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd like to do a ghost house but some of those restrictions seem odd to me.

Like why should subplatforms have to always be mushrooms/bridges when subplatforms can be use decoratively? Why restrict pipes to verticla placement? I'm not sure I understand.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I think some of those guidelines should be guidelines rather than requirements i m o

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not gonna lie a image would be a lot easier to digest than a block of words. Easier to remember what elements are greenlit and what aren't.

Also why are mushroom platforms banned? I figured they'd kind of be perfect for the aesthetic (unless it's just "don't have them floating in mid air")

That aside I'll go ahead and do a fort. Should there be a naming convention for these?

I intend to use screenshots alongside the final version, yes.

Mushroom platforms are recommended, they just need to be connected at the bottom. I'll try to clarify that.

I haven't come up with a naming convention yet. I'm open to suggestions, probably a label at the beginning of the level name? The position of levels in the world will be fluid until they're all in.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd like to do a ghost house but some of those restrictions seem odd to me.

Like why should subplatforms have to always be mushrooms/bridges when subplatforms can be use decoratively? Why restrict pipes to verticla placement? I'm not sure I understand.

The goal was to create a restrained and common visual aesthetic between levels. I thought it would be more fitting for SMB.

Control Volume posted:

I think some of those guidelines should be guidelines rather than requirements i m o

That's fair.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

For example why arent bonefish allowed but dry bones are? Why the adherence to SMB1 pipes and coins but slopes are allowed? Why isnt fire flower included? Why is there such a restricted list of gizmos when courses need to have a gimmick? Why force the combination of focusing on only one subarea and having a height restriction?

You could cut out a lot and replace it with "having some plant enemies is a requirement. make forest areas look run down, with emphasis on mushroom platforms and bridges. ensure forest courses dont look mechanical with gizmos. Try to aim for a classic SMB1 feel", which would allow for a lot more freedom

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
This is my second attempt at making a level, I thought I had made it the right amount of hard without being unfair, but right now it’s at 118 plays and 0%. Let me know what you think!

My Friend, Yoshi
JBK-44J-PQG

TransatlanticFoe fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 24, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How big is the world going to be? Will people sign up for levels? It's a decent summary of the goals of the project, though I do agree that it's more of a guideline/idea spark than a list of hard rules.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I made another one already?

Hammer Valley
NB6-97W-32H

Crass Casualty posted:

Just another new level. Decided to try out some new mechanics with the superball flower.

30-50 Feral Hogs
ID: XD9-HKK-5LF

Just pretend the Monty Moles are hogs

I know this is a meme level but it's filled with soft locks, if you fall into either of the big hog pits you have to restart, if you make it to the end but take a hit you have to restart because then you can't shoot the last puzzle and can't go back for the superball flower. You can also skip the second on/off block challenge by simply hitting the first block twice. Maybe I just got tired of that meme already, idk, the actual level is pretty simple.

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

The Destroyed World - 8B1-3V5-TGG - This went through a ton of work, a lot of which got thrown out because it didn't "click" but you can still see if you check the map thingie that appears when you click "more info." Anyway, it's a ghost house. Enjoy!

Well you did it, you made a level with naked pipes have a cool aesthetic. Lots of stuff that looks haphazard but was very carefully placed to ensure a gentle ramp up of like the same two or three challenges, including incredibly natural boo patterns to avoid. Not very long or challenging but incredibly comfortable to play.

TransatlanticFoe posted:

This is my second attempt at making a level, I thought I had made it the right amount of hard without being unfair, but right now it’s at 118 plays and 0%. Let me know what you think!

My Friend, Yoshi
JBK-44J-PQG

This is a pretty good Yoshi-centric obstacle course. Difficult, but not maddedeningly so, but also this was never going to get too high a clear rate. I don't really have much to say about this one other than it was fun and satisfying to clear.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Control Volume posted:

1. For example why arent bonefish allowed but dry bones are?
2. Why the adherence to SMB1 pipes and coins but slopes are allowed?
3. Why isnt fire flower included?
4. Why is there such a restricted list of gizmos when courses need to have a gimmick?

Why force the combination of focusing on only one subarea and having a height restriction?

You could cut out a lot and replace it with "having some plant enemies is a requirement. make forest areas look run down, with emphasis on mushroom platforms and bridges. ensure forest courses dont look mechanical with gizmos. Try to aim for a classic SMB1 feel", which would allow for a lot more freedom

1. Dry Bones are allowed in the fort, or as interceptors in athletic courses.
2. To give more options for shell kicking mostly.
3. I wanted to focus on a smaller set of powerup options and felt that the mega mushroom along with the shell was enough design space to work with.
4. Again, I wanted a small coherent design set, but it's possible there will be a lot more interest than I was expecting, I could open this up more.
5. A lot of the restrictions I made, overall, were to retain similarity among the courses. In SMM when we created worlds I gave very few guidelines, and the results didn't really form a cohesive whole at all. Perhaps I overcompensated in the opposite direction, but if so we can correct that in the next world. (Or before these guidelines are finalized, if there are more objections.)

In Training posted:

How big is the world going to be? Will people sign up for levels? It's a decent summary of the goals of the project, though I do agree that it's more of a guideline/idea spark than a list of hard rules.

4-10 levels with alternates listed if we have more interest than I expected. People should post what course type the intend to make so we can make sure we have an even coverage but the world will be assembled afterwards based on what levels are submitted.

I definitely need to include this information in the final announcement.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Okay my POW Block autoscroller is done. After a ton of trying to get coins to work on this stage and having them fall in correct spots being so inconsistent, I just decided this stage wasn't going to have coins at all. It's possible to get coins still but I didn't use any for guiding players, just arrows.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

If you’re going to have a world based around piranha plants you wan to be able to run around melting them with the fire flower. Also mega mushroom is kind of poo poo.

I’ll have to play around in the editor to see if I can possibly come up with any ideas for this before I commit to anything. I’ve got a few levels I started in the editor that I have no idea where to go with so I think I’m fully in maker’s block mode.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've got a fun idea I think that I was already working on that would fit in the Bayou setting, so I'm on board.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Yeah I am super in for swampy GoonWorld.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DalaranJ posted:

1. Dry Bones are allowed in the fort, or as interceptors in athletic courses.
2. To give more options for shell kicking mostly.
3. I wanted to focus on a smaller set of powerup options and felt that the mega mushroom along with the shell was enough design space to work with.
4. Again, I wanted a small coherent design set, but it's possible there will be a lot more interest than I was expecting, I could open this up more.
5. A lot of the restrictions I made, overall, were to retain similarity among the courses. In SMM when we created worlds I gave very few guidelines, and the results didn't really form a cohesive whole at all. Perhaps I overcompensated in the opposite direction, but if so we can correct that in the next world. (Or before these guidelines are finalized, if there are more objections.)

4-10 levels with alternates listed if we have more interest than I expected. People should post what course type the intend to make so we can make sure we have an even coverage but the world will be assembled afterwards based on what levels are submitted.

I definitely need to include this information in the final announcement.

You might just say "hey everyone here are the guidelines but go hog wild" and then split things into "main" and "alternate" levels based on whether they hew to the guidelines. That way you wind up with a nice cohesive world for those who want it, but also just have a big goddamn pile of swampy levels for those who want that instead.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Control Volume posted:

Something like this would be manageable without restricting creativity too much. I'd rather that this didn't feel like a Blitz, because I already don't participate in those due to not having fun with narrowly specific guidelines.

Edit: I'm going to try to make a level that fits the guidelines as best as I can, but if I end up in the situation where I have to either break a rule or make a worse level than I would have made if not for the rules, I'm breaking the rule.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 24, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Straight White Shark posted:

You might just say "hey everyone here are the guidelines but go hog wild" and then split things into "main" and "alternate" levels based on whether they hew to the guidelines. That way you wind up with a nice cohesive world for those who want it, but also just have a big goddamn pile of swampy levels for those who want that instead.

Right, that was the exact idea.

Rollersnake posted:

I think I'm gonna pass, honestly. Just way too many specific restrictions to keep track of, and some of them don't make any sense to me.

Something like this would be manageable without restricting creativity too much. I'd rather that this didn't feel like a Blitz, because I already don't participate in those due to not having fun with narrowly specific guidelines.

I don't want to discourage people from participating just due to the length of the list of guidelines.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Macaluso posted:

Okay my POW Block autoscroller is done. After a ton of trying to get coins to work on this stage and having them fall in correct spots being so inconsistent, I just decided this stage wasn't going to have coins at all. It's possible to get coins still but I didn't use any for guiding players, just arrows.

I want to like this level, but I'm mixed. The first half was difficult, but mostly fair by my reckoning. The second half had a whole lot more deaths. It was real easy to survive an obstacle but be behind enough that you might as well have died on the spot. I also felt that the conveyors were unnecessary. It was really inconsistent if I would retain some speed when I hit them or lose it all.

Also, this spot right here is a real pain:

Trying to get a good lead on the stage and throwing the POW block just a hair early leads to this happening. But if you're just a hair slow, you'll have a real hard time making it past the creeper that's next.

I beat it (and tanked your completion %), but I just kinda came away frustrated, I dunno. :(

Ziddar fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 24, 2019

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

Heh, I posted a level with the same name and a similar concept a while back. Yours is a bit more complex than mine but I liked it! Anyway here’s mine if you want to check it out:

0RW-8R9-9PG

I hope I didn't inadvertantly steal your idea wholesale. I'll give it a shot in the next couple days - I'm on a short trip at the moment and my switch doesn't like the b&b wifi this morning.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ziddar posted:

I want to like this level, but I'm mixed. The first half was difficult, but mostly fair by my reckoning. The second half had a whole lot more deaths. It was real easy to survive an obstacle but be behind enough that you might as well have died on the spot. I also felt that the conveyors were unnecessary. It was really inconsistent if I would retain some speed when I hit them or lose it all.

Also, this spot right here is a real pain:

Trying to get a good lead on the stage and throwing the POW block just a hair early leads to this happening. But if you're just a hair slow, you'll have a real hard time making it past the creeper that's next.

This is an example of why I wish there was a playtester mode you could upload levels to so you didn't have to officially upload a "finished" level. I tested that particular area a billion times, trying to outspeed it and trying to not outspeed it. And the results for me every time were either, you make it or you're too slow and the level catches up to you and you get squished. All the times I replayed that section in different ways I never saw them only go halfway like that, certainly never seen them stop exploding and stack up in a neat pile like that. A playtesting mode would go a long way for parts like that.

The conveyor belts I used to get the scrolling to catch up cause the level kind of breaks if you out speed things, as well as you can hit the side of the screen and all your momentum stops. I do wish Mario Maker had more tools to properly keep you on track in an autoscroller. A lot of the level was built around trying to get that final section across the exploding bridge timed out just right, and could've solved a lot of problems by just allowing a trigger that you can activate when you get to a certain spot instead of having to rely on the Thwomp (if you went too slow, the Thwomp would get off screen before hitting the POW Block, making it so the bridge explosions wouldn't activate. That's why the plant is there so you keep moving... but then the conveyor belts are with that plant too because if you go too far ahead you'll hit the side of the screen :v:)

I love making auto scrollers but some things don't seem to play nice with them, especially with things that won't spawn or trigger if they're off screen

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I wish there was a way to set custom auto scroll in just a small portion of a level or sub level.

Specifically I want to make a vertical auto scroll portion of a sub level, but it breaks my other sub level portions.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Macaluso posted:

I had a similar reaction to Ziddar. The first half was cool, but the second half was pure frustration with the level constantly loving you over for not staying in the middle of the screen.

TransatlanticFoe posted:

My Friend, Yoshi
JBK-44J-PQG

I gave up pretty much straight away at that part with the fast conveyor belts where you have to quickly catch up to Yoshi. First off, there's no initial indication that you need to be quick about it since you can't see past the sawblades. Second, the use of jumping piranha plants is obnoxious because you can't see what the second one is doing before you get up there so you have to pray you get a good cycle, and if you jump over it the camera will lock too high for you to see what's happening below. You then have very little time to land on Yoshi and then adjust and react to the fast conveyor belts.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 24, 2019

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

TransatlanticFoe posted:

My Friend, Yoshi
JBK-44J-PQG

I think you've hit the harsh but fair target. As Phantasium said it's always going to be a low clear rate just cause messing up most often kills you or requires a death. I really started enjoying it once the jump patterns and cycles started coming together.. My main gripe is just the trampoline elevator being inconsistent, where Yoshi will fall off at the bottom or get stuck on the left at the top. You could also probably do more with the second claw drop section and the home stretch for the goal.

This did make me wish for a setting where only the left shoulder buttons would dismount though, flung that dinosaur into so much lava on accident.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

J-Spot posted:

I had a similar reaction to Ziddar. The first half was cool, but the second half was pure frustration with the level constantly loving you over for not staying in the middle of the screen.

I gave up pretty much straight away at that part with the fast conveyor belts where you have to quickly catch up to Yoshi. First off, there's no initial indication that you need to be quick about it since you can't see past the sawblades. Second, the use of jumping piranha plants is obnoxious because you can't see what the second one is doing before you get up there so you have to pray you get a good cycle, and if you jump over it the camera will lock too high for you to see what's happening below. You then have very little time to land on Yoshi and then adjust and react to the fast conveyor belts.

What this person said about the part jumping over the sawblades. Also, a checkpoint before the pipe would make this level way more enjoyable. As it is, you have to keep getting past the part with the sawblades below and piranha plants above and I stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Hello.. Good to see this thread still going strong. ;)

I’ve been trying to search Google for “SMM2 local multiplayer levels”, but all it’s bringing up are sites instructing how to play local multiplayer. Can anyone assist me by suggesting great local multiplayer levels to download that aren’t too hard? Thank you very much.