Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KillHour posted:

My ex father in law used to work there. Gonna do donuts where his cubicle used to be.

You and what car? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

the spyder posted:

I need suggestions on how to break out of a funk. I haven't left the couch outside of work for like 3 days. Family's out of town and I just can't get motivated. It's cutting into my beekeeping duties/car stuff/hanging out with friends. I can be super productive one day then a slug the next. Getting tired of it.

Along with other advice look into a bottle of vitamin D. Not joking.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Too mean.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This man used to be a nice guy. Then he got an E90 M3, the at-will burnouts went to his head.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Coredump posted:

Along with other advice look into a bottle of vitamin D. Not joking.

Yea this, it's magic. My doctor told me to start taking it and I asked if it was necessary since I'm outside already as it is and when I researched it I guess the vitamin d that you get from sunlight breaks down quickly.

If you haven't yet talk to your doctor about depression too. It's not just feeling sad, anhedonism and not caring about anything are part of it too and sitting around with no motivation are definitely signs you may have it and not know.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

T-Square posted:

That's a seriously cool home, congrats.

KillHour posted:

Holy crap. A new home that isn't a cookie cutter plastic dollhouse or a mcmansion monstrosity. Good job dude.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

To be fair the danish have taste

Thanks. We're pretty happy with how it turned out. Yeah if we'd had more money and were allowed to build bigger etc. things could have been done differently, but so far very few gripes.

One word of unsolicited advice to any wannabe house designers though: if you're not swimming in square feet, insist on a few final iterations to utilize what space you have in the most efficient way. For instance, we have a big ugly manifold for the heated floors sticking out, right smack in the middle of prime closet real estate. There's, like, a small handful of places where that could've lived, with much better results, but now it's literally set in stone and we're stuck with it until we move.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Coredump posted:

That is definitely not a given or even a rule of thumb around here.

I would suggest it's kind of the opposite. Most of us knowingly and happily own really, really bad cars. But they're -fun-... :getin:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

the spyder posted:

I need suggestions on how to break out of a funk. I haven't left the couch outside of work for like 3 days. Family's out of town and I just can't get motivated. It's cutting into my beekeeping duties/car stuff/hanging out with friends. I can be super productive one day then a slug the next. Getting tired of it.

Get some exercise and fresh air. And then muster up the effort to do a project or whatever for only 5-10 minutes. If you want to stop after, do so. But more than likely once you start you'll continue. Just getting over that first hump is the hardest sometimes.

doogle
May 24, 2003

fknlo posted:

My AAA insurance experience:

Caliber Collision

I don’t have any AAA insurance experience, but Caliber loving sucks. My 135 was hit in a parking lot which wiped out the whole passenger side of the car. I had USAA and he had some BS insurance company so I went through USAA and took it to Caliber in Raleigh, NC. They had my car for almost 3 months while I was paying out of pocket for the final 30 days (my USAA coverage only supplied a rental for 60 days) for the rental. I had to go after his insurance company to recoup the $1k.

I had Apex ARC-8 wheels and required 2 to be replaced. They ordered the wrong color and then painted them black which immediately began chipping off. They routed the brake line wrong which resulted in the rear right wheel locking up at highway speeds. They put two different tires on the passenger wheels, which were also different to the Star Specs I had on the driver’s side. The paint was terrible and started to have a reaction with something after a few days so it wasn’t the same color as the roof anymore.

I lawyered up after they tried to kill me with hosed up brakes and they refused to touch the car after that.

Luckily (lol), the car was rear ended at a red light like a month after they did the initial “repairs” and USAA allowed the new shop to fix the mistakes of Caliber and they repainted the whole car, allowed me to get a paint correction and ceramic coating on the new paint at a hugely discounted rate, and then take it to a dealership to fix the mechanical issues.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I saw a Pontiac G8 for sale

And then I learned they made G8s with V6s?

It was the GM death V6 too

it was sad

T-Square
May 14, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Me leading off the line in my 100hp diesel Land Cruiser on the daily, constantly, forever.

I really do not see the slow car bad thing when I'm constantly having to pass cars with triple or quadruple the power. People still drive as fast/slow as they ever did it as far as I can tell, even if everyone is packing power.

This poo poo has become my biggest driving pet peeve. I've stopped giving a poo poo about people drifting in and out of lanes or doing dumb poo poo in general, but when that light turns green and the car in front of you takes their foot off the brake and then apparently doesn't move the foot over to the accelerator and just iiiidddllleesss away from the light? gently caress that makes me so irritated. I should not have to sit through two traffic light cycles when there's three or four cars in front of me. Doubly so when people craawwllll through turns or throw down the anchors for slight bends in the freeway. You can drive the fuckin' speed limit, your car isn't going to go careening off the road if you go over 10MPH.

bolind posted:

One word of unsolicited advice to any wannabe house designers though: if you're not swimming in square feet, insist on a few final iterations to utilize what space you have in the most efficient way. For instance, we have a big ugly manifold for the heated floors sticking out, right smack in the middle of prime closet real estate. There's, like, a small handful of places where that could've lived, with much better results, but now it's literally set in stone and we're stuck with it until we move.

I feel this. Our new apartment is nice and open and spacious...but there's really no storage space. The few closets are narrow, but I just really wish there was a nice big entryway closet to put coats and store out of season clothes and blankets and stuff that are just taking up valuable space elsewhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can I just say that Toyota can eat me for their trucks having such solid resale value? This is getting annoying.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Hyperdrive, the drifting competition on Netflix, is incredibly dumb, and yet weirdly enthralling. I'm a little crushed by Stacey Lee May, an incredibly sweet South African girl, hydrolocking her car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'm getting my ducks in a row for the next fun car but honestly, I think I'll end up in a Camry just for the sake of my sanity.

Looks like you're in luck dude, an actual fun Camry is coming soon

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28788191/2020-toyota-camry-trd-pricing/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25137307/2020-toyota-camry-trd-photos-info/

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Hyperdrive, the drifting competition on Netflix, is incredibly dumb, and yet weirdly enthralling. I'm a little crushed by Stacey Lee May, an incredibly sweet South African girl, hydrolocking her car.

It's a great show, but that water hazard is the dumbest poo poo ever. Let them loving drive and not have to worry about hydrolocking the motor halfway through the course.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Can I just say that Toyota can eat me for their trucks having such solid resale value? This is getting annoying.

Same. My brain is broken and for some reason I really like the FJ Cruiser still, but they're still god-awful expensive for what they are in my opinion. Doesn't help that they aren't produced anymore.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's a great show, but that water hazard is the dumbest poo poo ever. Let them loving drive and not have to worry about hydrolocking the motor halfway through the course.
Yeah. I mean, I get it, they have to balance speed versus risk, and they can modify their vehicles for it, blah blah blah. I'm still annoyed how it played out for her.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

T-Square posted:

Same. My brain is broken and for some reason I really like the FJ Cruiser still, but they're still god-awful expensive for what they are in my opinion. Doesn't help that they aren't produced anymore.

You can find 2007s for under $9K all day but they have like 200K on the clock. I want a Tacoma but they hold their value too well. I am gonna check out a Tundra later today.

As cool as this is I'm eyeballing 2010s right now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You can find 2007s for under $9K all day but they have like 200K on the clock. I want a Tacoma but they hold their value too well. I am gonna check out a Tundra later today.

As cool as this is I'm eyeballing 2010s right now.

Make sure you get a V6 then because the 4cyl had oil burning issues until that time. 2011+ 4cyl is when it finally got fixed.

Also the V6 has an oil line issue that's an easy fix but make sure it's been done or do so it if it hasn't been.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a blue 2010 XLE v6 for $8K with 140K and full maintenance for sale locally. Camrys seem to be really goddamned cheap. As much as I love my MS6 it has a new problem every time I drive it. I'm going to get two more things fixed and put it up for sale.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

All modernish used cars are expensive. I can't even find a decent family hauler with lower miles when my one requirement option wise is heated seats. Cars in general are just too much money.

Where's the modern day Henry Ford we need that sees the advantage of having his employees be able to actually afford their cars? :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I agree but with Toyota's trucks they tend to retain far more value than similar trucks of the same years.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

it was sad

Lfx swap time.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Well I agree but with Toyota's trucks they tend to retain far more value than similar trucks of the same years.

Its the toyota tax plus trucks and SUVs holding value stupidly well anymore. The only exception seems to be the sequoia for whatever reason.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elmnt80 posted:

Its the toyota tax plus trucks and SUVs holding value stupidly well anymore. The only exception seems to be the sequoia for whatever reason.

It's frustrating. I'm looking at some very affordable Camrys for which I will pay cash and the wife wants to possibly finance a newer Tacoma. I'd be okay with 10 years old on either and buying outright at the same time.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You all know about the w16 that VW built. I. just want one bank off of it. Give me a VR8 VW. I wonder how long it would be compared to a straight 6.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Nebakenezzer posted:

it was sad

eh, i've seen some v6 commodores with silly odo numbers. all the people i know who have had issues have had spotty maintenance records that said, the pcv system on those things is not up to snuff but iirc there are upgrades or swap in an earlier (and lower power) s1 vz commodore engine with a better timing chain setup.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

big dong wanter posted:

eh, i've seen some v6 commodores with silly odo numbers. all the people i know who have had issues have had spotty maintenance records that said, the pcv system on those things is not up to snuff but iirc there are upgrades or swap in an earlier (and lower power) s1 vz commodore engine with a better timing chain setup.

Here's a video that talks about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QLPU1Qh2oo
tl;dw: Right bank doesn't have proper crankcase ventilation like dong said.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

bolind posted:

Deep down I know (insert giving up science emoji here, can't loving find it.)

So gently caress the todolist, here's the pic:

On the left, kinda where all that junk is, is where the garage will hopefully be built. Aiming for just under 7x7 meters.

Your house looks really nice! Is 7x7 a standard garage size there? I’d be doing everything I could to try to add another meter or two to one side, but... I’m a fat American with 2 full size SUV’s and we store a lot of stuff in the garage.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's frustrating. I'm looking at some very affordable Camrys for which I will pay cash and the wife wants to possibly finance a newer Tacoma. I'd be okay with 10 years old on either and buying outright at the same time.

Get a Camry for driving around town, then find yourself a cheap Ranger/B2000 for working around the house and doing truck stuff.

If you are used to driving a car for a daily, you're going to regret making payments on a DD Tacoma that drives like a truck does (lovely).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Get a Camry for driving around town, then find yourself a cheap Ranger/B2000 for working around the house and doing truck stuff.

If you are used to driving a car for a daily, you're going to regret making payments on a DD Tacoma that drives like a truck does (lovely).

She wants the truck more than me, I would much rather grab up an older one but she's hot for tech packages. We're hashing it out. Ideally we'll spend under $10K on both combined. I have eyes on new "fun" cars to replace the MS6 and Miata but that can wait.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Dude it was devastating. Not sure if it was the accent and how she addressed her daddy but I was super bummed. Charlize Theron showing up to recruit her in person and then casually dropping into Afrikaans for a full conversation like a total goddess :allears:

I finished the show last night. It was dumb fun, I wasn't that thrilled over the winner TBH. The most entertaining driver had the most :radcat: name ever; Fielding Shredder? New patron saint of AI

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I have eyes on new "fun" cars to replace the MS6 and Miata but that can wait.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Don't tempt me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Fermented Tinal posted:

Says the guy who fools around with Toyobarus.

There aint no Toyota in that car anymore :-p

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Coredump posted:

You all know about the w16 that VW built. I. just want one bank off of it. Give me a VR8 VW. I wonder how long it would be compared to a straight 6.

They already did this and called it a W8 - effectively two four cylinder VR blocks mated together. The Passats they were available in were among the least reliable VW models of the era and while it made a decent amount of power for a 4.0 N/A engine it was a mechanical headache.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Finally nabbed an 8TB WD easystore for $130.

Shucked it. A certain someone was griping at me about trying to get her to go to the doctor while I was trying to hook it up in the case, I looked up at her when she got particularly heated (all this over trying to get her to just go get a physical for several months, I gave up awhile back, she brought it back up).

SNAP goes the data connector. :argh:

Still seems to work in the external housing (which has a 2 in 1 connector that screws to the drive itself), but I bought it to shuck it, so I can get rid of all of the ancient internal drives (and convert my current external 4TB into an internal). And I don't feel like I can trust it much since the pins bent significantly.

My fault for not putting it down while getting bitched at, but goddamnit. And I wasn't super careful opening it, so it looks like it's been opened (so no returns unless Best Buy isn't paying much attention - that'd be unethical as hell anyway). Incoming :sever: replies expected.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

oh no can you imagine being unethical to a massive corporation that doesn't give a poo poo about its employees or customers? what would the shareholders think

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

They'll just toss it back on the shelf once they verify it mostly works. Also it already had a bunch of my stuff on it.

I'll just keep using it as an external. It's just as fast on USB 3.0 vs internal anyway, and the actual drive in it is basically a HGST Ultrastar that's been modified to run at 5400 RPM.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 23, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We had our annual health screenings today and I got a satisfactory initial result on 4 of the 5 tests. Just gotta wait for my blood work to come back and I'm healthy for another year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

meatpimp posted:

News flash: You now own a house. You'll never get to the bottom of the todolist.

Can confirm.
I've owned my house for 19 years, and I still have a to-do list. Mind you, some of that is wants rather than needs.

Suburban Dad posted:

I hate gardening and landscaping and so does wife so I do it all. I have just become ok with it looking like poo poo. :v:

Yeah, that. I mow and edge, but that's about it. For one thing, it's summer in TX - "brown" is just what color your lawn is unless you use a shitload of water, which I don't. My one concession is watering my little tree I got from Oncor I planted a couple years ago. They were trying to promote planting trees of a type and location to reduce energy usage. Works for me. It's a type of Elm tree, IIRC. The White Oak I bought and planted previously died after a couple years because I was a dummy and didn't put a ring around it, and mowed over it when I wasn't paying attention.

Nebakenezzer posted:

it was sad

Most of them were V6. If it's not a GT or GXP, it's a V6.
"Death V6"? Isn't it the same 3.6 that's in everything GM?

edit:

Coredump posted:

Here's a video that talks about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QLPU1Qh2oo
tl;dw: Right bank doesn't have proper crankcase ventilation like dong said.

Ah.
What the hell were they thinking with that?

T-Square posted:

You can drive the fuckin' speed limit, your car isn't going to go careening off the road if you go over 10MPH.

I have yelled almost exactly this at other cars in my impotent rage.
I drive faster than these fools in my 82 HP '87 Corolla.