Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Raining one hundred powerful stones on a man isn't a powerful ability? Smdh at this noobery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hahayup
Sep 14, 2007

thick lush back hair. someone get me a pony.
just started playing this game, where can I play against other new players? the default unranked turbo server im just getting stomped in and everyone is like get out of here haha

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I haven't played a non-turbo game in... 2 years? Maybe a little less.

Anyway, a friend of mine who didn't take a long break like I did swears up and down that turbo is now way more toxic than any of the other modes. I'm not going to play a normal game to find out, but that might be what's going on.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I imagine there just aren't many new Dota 2 players to match you against at this point. You probably just have to suck it up and lose a bunch, preferably with understanding friends who can at least give you advice instead of just flaming you.

I do think normal mode is probably better for new players, if you do badly at turbo you get rolled so quickly you probably won't learn anything.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There are definitely plenty of new players, I kept getting paired up with them while queuing with a friend who has 5% of the Games Played I do.

But I fully agree that you should probably play Normal instead of Turbo as it'll help you learn how to actually play the game. Then you can translate that knowledge to Turbo if you really don't want to play for up to an hour.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

In turbo you either stomp or get stomped. There's not a lot of middle ground and the turbo games that go longer than 30 minutes are the loving worst.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, very little opportunity for comebacks in my experience. Also, while I know normal can definitely be "decided at draft", I feel as though that's especially true for Turbo. So when you're new and don't know much about the hero pool you can basically cost the game just by picking 1 or 2 "non-turbo friendly" heroes.

hahayup
Sep 14, 2007

thick lush back hair. someone get me a pony.
yeah I tried an All Draft game just now and it was better than the Turbo game, I didn't fall behind so quickly which was nice.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

RisqueBarber posted:

In turbo you either stomp or get stomped. There's not a lot of middle ground and the turbo games that go longer than 30 minutes are the loving worst.

Let me tell you about my 50 minute turbo games with multiple 15k gold swings.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

They're cancer incarnate. But 3 heart Earthshaker is a beast.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i keep trying to give turbo chance but somehow every match is either a 45 minute exercise in pain or a 30 minute fountain farming fest. who the gently caress likes playing this poo poo.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXBpMy9VgNU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Larry Parrish posted:

i keep trying to give turbo chance but somehow every match is either a 45 minute exercise in pain or a 30 minute fountain farming fest. who the gently caress likes playing this poo poo.

sometimes you wanna just right click on some stuff and not worry too much about mmr.

owns

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 23, 2019

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

That lizard thing is straight out of how to train your dragon

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Wild abilities speculation:

Q: Baked with Love: throw a cookie at an ally hero that refreshes non-ult cooldowns and does a strong dispell.
W: Hands Off!: snapfire knocks back and ministuns an opponent (short range, instant cast)
E: Covering Fire: AOE slow sort of like shrapnel mixed with windrun that hits random enemies
R: Sic 'em!: Targeted fear/break in the form of adorable dragon barf

I'd play that hero!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm 40 turbo games deep into calibrating a new account and once I started playing Gyrocoptor they've all ended by 20 minutes, either because I win or the enemy team has managed to kill me enough times for comeback gold to win.

Go 4-4-0, start with three slippers, salve, clarity. Triple wraith band, phase, send yourself a salve or a clarity if you ever start to get low, and use all your resources to get the enemy out of your lane, or kill them outright. CONSTANTLY ship yourself salves and clarities. Really, this is the secret to winning Turbo, they only cost a single last-hit's worth of gold and you have your own personal mega-courier. After Phase get maelstrom, then Aghs, upgrade to Mjolnir, then finish with BKB. If the game isn't over yet, get Satanic and then Octarine. You can solo rosh as soon as you get the Maelstrom, but get the aghs pointbooster to be safe. Your goal is to jihad every enemy tower ASAP, so once you kill the tower of the lane you're in just go to either a different lane to get kills/towers or push for T2 if the enemy isn't responding.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

turbos all about just getting baked and doing clowny poo poo. kinda like underlords.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

RisqueBarber posted:

turbos all about just getting baked and doing clowny poo poo. kinda like underlords.

:yeah:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Good heroes to start with:
Cores - Wraith King, Sniper, Drow Ranger, Phantom Assassin, Juggernaut, Ogre Magi
Offlane - Doom, Centaur Warruner, Bristleback, Tidehunter, Slardar, Ogre Magi
Support - Lion, Jakiro, Crystal Maiden, Shadow Shaman, Ogre Magi

Avoid: Invoker, Arc Warden, Meepo, Io, Chen, Visage, Lone Druid, Brewmaster, Tinker, Techies, all heroes with Spirit in their name.

Vengeful Spirit is a great starter hero! You get very fast feedback on if you make a mistake with swap. :v:

Groovelord Neato posted:

don’t forget spirit breaker.

Spiritbreaker is dicey for new players because even at 4-5k MMR 99% of spiritbreakers spend all game just feeding after bad charges.

get outta here with that dreamworks poo poo we need more edgelords like grismtroke :emo:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 23, 2019

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Cuntellectual posted:

Vengeful Spirit is a great starter hero! You get very fast feedback on if you make a mistake with swap. :v:

Spiritbreaker is dicey for new players because even at 4-5k MMR 99% of spiritbreakers spend all game just feeding after bad charges.

Yeah I completely forgot about Venge. I was only thinking of the three spirit brothers and Spiritbreaker.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

w00tmonger posted:

Haven't played a MOBA in ages. Played a bunch of league way back in the day and more recently hots.

Are there any Heroes I should jump on or avoid when I try this out tonight? Ive played a few times but kind of bounced off the game because I had a hard time getting used to items and some of the odder stuff like turning not being instant

I'd say:

pos 1-

Wraith King is often reccomended but I'd suggest against him. He's extremely tight in his timings.

Jugg's probably the safest bet, he's effective at all stages of the game. He can jungle if a lane goes too bad, and he's never so strong you can really afford to get complacement.

pos 2-

Windrunner's a really good mid right now, and basically everything about her are things that are vital to know as mid; When to gank, how to position, etc.

pos 3-

Pango is extremely good and can be played into nearly any lane. Axe is also a safe bet but requires more map awareness to play well.

Pos 4-

Dazzle is extremely oppressive and cvombos well with almost every single good 3

pos 5-

Warlock is a very safe 5 pick, he can influence teamfights heavily, works with and without items, and he offers safe, easy sustain.

No matter who or what you play, learn how creep aggro works and master it, and you'll go far.

Ojetor posted:

Yeah I completely forgot about Venge. I was only thinking of the three spirit brothers and Spiritbreaker.

I was half kidding, venge can be pretty disasterous for new players because swap can be very hard to use right.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
big day for goofy rear end dota heroes with Snapfire announcement and OG magi winning the arcana vote

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I could have sworn at some point I got an item that made it so denies made a ? instead of a ! but I can't for the life of me find it or remember how to equip it, did that go away with the last compendium or am I missing something?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

dr.acula posted:

I could have sworn at some point I got an item that made it so denies made a ? instead of a ! but I can't for the life of me find it or remember how to equip it, did that go away with the last compendium or am I missing something?

It's unlocked at one of the compendium levels, if I recall correctly. Once you have it unlocked I dunno if it automatically happens or if you have to equip it, though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
jokes aside stop releasing stupid heroes like this valve, where's my fourth spirit bro???

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Who would be next? We've got Earth, Storm (as Air?), and Fire. I guess a Water Spirit? Heart? :puke:

Timbersaw is one of my favorite character concepts, like the tree paranoia thing is great and the voice actor is the best, so I feel like I should be stoked for Timbersaw's aunt but I haven't fully made up my mind yet.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
port chipper and flux.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
and dadwood

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Smythe posted:

port chipper and flux.

Smythe posted:

and dadwood

yes yes yes. i want bombardier too

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

RisqueBarber posted:

yes yes yes. i want bombardier too

hell yes

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sab669 posted:

Who would be next? We've got Earth, Storm (as Air?), and Fire. I guess a Water Spirit? Heart? :puke:

Timbersaw is one of my favorite character concepts, like the tree paranoia thing is great and the voice actor is the best, so I feel like I should be stoked for Timbersaw's aunt but I haven't fully made up my mind yet.

It’s unlikely they’re actually directly related. The Keenfolk, Timber Sniper Gyro, are called cousin by each other. Same as the Oglodi, Axe Disruptor Warlock.

I think it’s more like a signifier that they’re the same race and she’s like a cool older auntie, not actually Timber’s genetic aunt.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Adding Bomb would require them to implement the vector aiming system.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Superrodan posted:

It's unlocked at one of the compendium levels, if I recall correctly. Once you have it unlocked I dunno if it automatically happens or if you have to equip it, though.

Do I need to unlock it again for TI19? I'm not seeing it anywhere and I cant even find out what the name for it is

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lord_Magmar posted:

It’s unlikely they’re actually directly related. The Keenfolk, Timber Sniper Gyro, are called cousin by each other. Same as the Oglodi, Axe Disruptor Warlock.

I think it’s more like a signifier that they’re the same race and she’s like a cool older auntie, not actually Timber’s genetic aunt.

If you're going to post lore, at least have the decency to use their lore names for gently caress sakes

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Andrigaar posted:

They did for pango

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

pango and darkseer have vector targetting

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Ah, I thought they'd added it at some point. Couldn't for the life of me remember who though so I just defaulted to it not being added yet and me confusing it with a HoN feature again.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Heroes now have a backpack that allows them to carry three additional items. While backpack items cannot be activated and grant no bonuses, they can be used to complete recipes, and players can swap items from backpack to inventory slots with a short item cooldown.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

it’s bcuz those tribes are like the Icelandic population in that there’s so few of them that it’s safer to assume everyone’s your distant cousin somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Who was askign for the 4th spirit bro? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMScM_UIuMw