Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

I do because she is awesome.

That she is. But if she kicks the bucket or steps down now, there will be far worse things happening than if she held on till then.

And if Trump is still there on the 22nd, it doesn't matter. None of this matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1164914960046133249

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1164914963766546435

I look forward to the court cases seeing if the president is allowed to send orders over twitter.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vasudus posted:

You better last until January 22nd, 2021 RBG. After that who gives a poo poo.

Do you want Trump to appoint a third SC justice??

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Do you want Trump to appoint a third SC justice??

That's his point.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

hobbesmaster posted:

I look forward to the court cases seeing if the president is allowed to send orders over twitter.

He doesn't understand how buying things works does he.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Hexyflexy posted:

He doesn't understand how buying things works does he.

I read somewhere that he acts as if he has a 7th grade understanding of economics.

I’m starting to think that was exceedingly generous.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

On the other hand, if trump actually succeeds in bringing all manufacturing back to the usa I may just die laughing

It might not quite be reversing the legacy of Reagan but it's in the ballpark

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It absolutely won't do anything but hurt everyday people. Manufacturers that can afford to have already stocked up enough inventory to last most of it. Those that cannot will be bought by the bigger ones.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

On the other hand, if trump actually succeeds in bringing all manufacturing back to the usa I may just die laughing

It might not quite be reversing the legacy of Reagan but it's in the ballpark

The rich will never allow it to happen while they still draw breath

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oh I know that, but if he somehow does it out of pure spite...

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/kashanacauley/status/1164984240758333452?s=21

:drat:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Hey you stupid loving fat cheeto, they're buying our debt, maybe don't piss them off too much.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Donnie is going to refuse to leave office.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Can you imagine dying for Trump?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Actually the market is down cause of this:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Can you imagine dying for Trump?

This was the last picture I took wearing a uniform. In retrospect it was a good decision to get out then before he gets us killed or involved in some crimes against humanity.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 23, 2019

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The Seth Moulton joke would be funny if he wasn't the president

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/nbcnewyork/status/1164227258879553536?s=21

At least someone is having fun this week.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Knowing Fairfield county, that was the most exciting crime to happen in the past decade not involving murder or drugs.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

FLOOR_MASTER posted:

https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1164968831279935489?s=20

"The tumor was treated definitively and there is no evidence of disease elsewhere in the body."

This is at least the 4th time she's been treated for cancer. RBG is great but this is exactly why older judges should step down in the past, life terms be damned. Not doing so shows they are delusional with power. Any rulings she's been on become moot if Trump gets to appoint another justice.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I was going to say that can't be a real tweet, yet, here we are.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Suicide Watch posted:

This is at least the 4th time she's been treated for cancer. RBG is great but this is exactly why older judges should step down in the past, life terms be damned. Not doing so shows they are delusional with power. Any rulings she's been on become moot if Trump gets to appoint another justice.

A life term is a life term. You have to accept that sometimes people die in inconvenient election cycles. A couple other points to consider in this specific case:

1. If she had retired under Obama, her replacement would have been caught in the same McConnell-engineered ratfuck as Merrick Garland.
2. Very few people predicted a Trump win.
3. Under Obama or Clinton, her replacement probably would have been, like Garland, more conservative—just not batshit like Kavanaugh and Gorsuch.

e: wow that's a hell of an av

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

What in God's aflame Earth did you do to get that?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
RBG staying or leaving really doesn't matter. Even with what we have now Democrats decide to have a mother loving spine and balance the courts or we just admit the death cult political party has a 20-30 year untouchable veto on any legislation they don't like.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

What in God's aflame Earth did you do to get that?

Probably N4I or another unironic user of bootlicker getting upset.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:confused:wheres the boot:confused:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

:confused:wheres the boot:confused:

on the other foot.

God, I’ve just dad joked, I’m getting old.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

e: wow that's a hell of an av

Were you defending Groenig's foot rub on Epstein's plane?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh right, forgot about that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Can't wait to see all the free market fetishists say that actually, it's good and cool for the government to literally order corporations around.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I gotta stop reading this thread daily.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

JFC same. The constant reminders that we’re prancing toward mass extinction while our loving toddler of a president launches a major trade war really don’t have me in a good headspace.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

sharknado slashfic posted:

I admire you not checking it multiple times a day.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Is it a good thing that my mood improves when everything worldwide is going tits up?

Someone turn on some dance music while it all burns, at least.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What the loving gently caress.

quote:

A United States Army commander has been suspended pending an investigation into a memo sent out to Army recruiters that used Auschwitz's infamous Nazi slogan in official correspondence.

An estimated 1.3 million people were deported to the Nazi death camp near the industrial town of Oświęcim in southern Poland between 1940 and 1945. The camp is the graveyard of over 1.1 million men, women, and children.

Those sent to the Main Camp, known as Auschwitz I, would pass under a large iron gate bearing the words "Arbeit macht frei," or "Work sets you free." In 2019, U.S. Army recruiters in Houston, Texas, passed by the displayed motto after their commander included the infamous Nazi phrase as part of an incentive program to encourage Army recruiters to complete more enlistment contracts of new recruits.

"Arbeit Macht Frei (Work Will Set You Free) NO CHANGE," the memo said in official correspondence to subordinates. "1 Contract=No Saturday work days for the remainder of the PL [phase line]."

"If you write 6 contracts or more in a PL you are a god and I make a shrine to you in the CCG [Company Command Group]," another line said.

The official correspondence was posted by "Truth of Army Recruiting," a Facebook page aimed at scrutinizing U.S. Army Recruiting Command. The page also provides a forum for Army recruiters to vent, anonymously, about the struggles of being a military recruiter.

Contacted by Newsweek, the administrator of Truth of Army Recruiting said the screenshot was sent in by a U.S. Army recruiter in the Houston area, according to screenshots provided to this publication between the Army recruiter and the administrator.

The memo was pinned to the company bulletin board and had been there since at least January, said the administrator of Truth of Army Recruiting, who asked not to be named.

When asked if Truth of Army Recruiting added the image showing the front gate of Auschwitz, the administrator told Newsweek the photograph was a part of the memo that was pinned to the company bulletin board.

Contacted by Newsweek on Thursday, U.S. Army Recruiting Command said they were aware of the memo sent out by a recruiting company commander in the Houston area.

"The commander has been suspended pending the outcome of our current investigation into the situation," said Kelli Bland, the director of public affairs for U.S. Army Recruiting Command, in a statement. "Army recruiting leaders will take appropriate action once the investigation is complete and all facts are known. When an individual enters into the military, they are held to high moral and ethical standards — Soldiers who choose not to live up to our values will be held accountable for their actions."

In a follow-on email to Newsweek from U.S. Army Recruiting Command on Thursday, officials said they would look into the memo with the Auschwitz image being hung on the company bulletin board.

"The memo was distributed digitally and did not contain any images. We have no evidence or reason to believe that the company commander distributed a photograph of the fence, but this will be looked into as part of the investigation," said a spokeswoman for U.S. Army Recruiting Command.

The statement did not identify the recruiting company commander by name. The administrator of Truth of Army Recruiting said the recruiters in Houston had achieved their recruiting goals not long ago, but area commanders were still pushing them to work late into the evenings—a problem that has plagued the Pentagon's recruiting community.

Back in 2009, the U.S. Army investigated a collection of suicides in the Houston Recruiting Battalion, NPR reported. The Army concluded that the four suicides stemmed from "the command climate, stress, personal matters, and medical problems."

Yet, despite the grueling hours and never-ending paperwork, the administrator of Truth of Army Recruiting told Newsweek: "There are some things you just don't joke about."

In a statement to Newsweek on Thursday from the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, a spokesman said, a U.S. Army commander using the Nazi phrase was, "offensive to the legacy of the U.S. military which played a decisive role in defeating Nazi tyranny and liberating Nazi camps."

https://www.newsweek.com/us-army-co...gn=Partnerships

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

What the loving gently caress.

He actually used "Arbeit Macht Frei". The only time I'd dare use those words is literally now talking about someone doing it, what the gently caress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hexyflexy posted:

He actually used "Arbeit Macht Frei". The only time I'd dare use those words is literally now talking about someone doing it, what the gently caress.

Speaking of "Arbeit Macht Frei"

https://boingboing.net/2019/08/16/everything-is-political.html?fbclid=IwAR3WfkVr7CunzgZscgmaQgT8wbsz66DrGrna95M3JftabZB-_gSAxYA9NK8

Head of Marvel is a huge Chud, and tried to censor Art Spiegelman, son of a holocaust victim and author of the comic series Maus.

https://twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/1163154971887456257?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 24, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hahah yes, a "joke" Hahhah. *sliding nazi paraphernalia under desk with foot*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SimonCat posted:

Were you defending Groenig's foot rub on Epstein's plane?

No, I haven't been involved in any discussion about groenig or the simpsons, and in any case my opinion of the people who appear in jeffrey epstein's flight logs is pretty clear-cut. Somebody just got mad enough at me making fun of lana del rey or something to spend 10 bucks, I guess. Or a mod changed it. Beats me.