Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

lilbeefer posted:

Did this guy just take the longest and hardest method to get out of his can? Climbing over to the other seat and out the window?

Want to bet the oil pipe wasn't the only broken/badly repaired part on there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

I wonder why they stopped in the 80s. :thunk:

They switched to nose pipettes.

Okay, but did he catch the roadrunner?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

CommieGIR posted:

There was those guys in Brazil that stole some radioisotope sources from a cancer treatment machine that was scrapped.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia_accident?wprov=sfla1

This was a fantastic read, thanks!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Me: Oh man the cold war was... wait, Fukushima crabs?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ATP_Power posted:

It's been posted a million times in this thread, but if you want a book that's all about chemists combining random poo poo and seeing how it exploded, you gotta check out Ignition! by John Drury Clark.
Was the good reaction looking over your shoulder and shrugging or diving behind the desk?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Probably how rattled you were afterwards; based on some of his other stories, a person yelling “DUCK!!” led everyone to reflexively diving under the desks and waiting for a whoosh-boom. Presumably something gnarly had escaped the fume hood and was expanding rapidly, before looking for humans to cause every kind of cancer in.

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006

ATP_Power posted:

It's been posted a million times in this thread, but if you want a book that's all about chemists combining random poo poo and seeing how it exploded, you gotta check out Ignition! by John Drury Clark.

This reminded me of a book I read in college about the father of chemical warfare Fritz Haber, a German Jew during WWI. He essentially grabbed the list that every chemist in training was given of "don't make this, it will kill you" and started testing them one by one. The second half of his life is a bit of a downer as being Jewish counted more with the nazis than his huge contributions to the German war effort. The lovely icing on the cake is when they start using his chemicals to commit the Holocaust. I am not sure if chemical weapons research is more OSHA or anti-OSHA.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Mind-Laureate-Launched-Chemical/dp/0060562722

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sammich Reaper posted:

This reminded me of a book I read in college about the father of chemical warfare Fritz Haber, a German Jew during WWI. He essentially grabbed the list that every chemist in training was given of "don't make this, it will kill you" and started testing them one by one. The second half of his life is a bit of a downer as being Jewish counted more with the nazis than his huge contributions to the German war effort. The lovely icing on the cake is when they start using his chemicals to commit the Holocaust. I am not sure if chemical weapons research is more OSHA or anti-OSHA.

The guy looks like dr. evil for sure

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Jesus, Blofeld has nothing on that guy

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
His wife (also a chemist) shot herself rather than remain married to The Poison Gas Guy

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
https://nypost.com/2019/08/22/video-shows-moment-man-crushed-by-elevator-at-manhattan-promenade-building/

:nms:

dphi fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 26, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I pressed play and then thought "Do I want to see this? No, I don't." and closed the tab before anything bad happened. I guess I'm growing up.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

weird seeing one of these without the Baidu watermark

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

lilbeefer posted:

Did this guy just take the longest and hardest method to get out of his can? Climbing over to the other seat and out the window?

He saw the flames outside the driver's door and didn't want to test them out.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://twitter.com/RallyeSport/status/1164923763114336257

look closely at the beginning

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I pressed play and then thought "Do I want to see this? No, I don't." and closed the tab before anything bad happened. I guess I'm growing up.

There's a reason I have my phone ask me what to do with links. I click, I can see the link text, and decide what to do. That one's staying blue, thank you very much.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Sammich Reaper posted:

The Alchemy of Air is another decent look at Haber and industrial nitrogen fixation/production.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

gently caress the New York Post. I know they're awful and have been awful for decades. There was no plausible journalistic reason to post that. God drat. Watch a guy die so we get some sweet clicks! God drat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There were five people in the elevator as it happened too :stare:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

To be fair, I thank their shoddy excuse for integrity, cause I will not go on an elevator again in my life. Same with escalators.

I'll still use a paternoster, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/WNc9EBz.gifv

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
cruise ship elevator blood waterfall . jpg

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Pretty sure the elevator in my building is going to kill me someday, which is why I keep using it. :v:

The other day I was doing laundry and had to go up one floor to get to the laundry room. I got on at the second floor, hit the button for 3, noted that something felt "off" and when the doors opened I was on floor 1. Like maybe someone could have hit the call button at the same time I hit the button for floor 3, but there was nobody there and shouldn't it have gone to 3 first anyway? I tried again and got as far as floor 2 (where I started) and decided gently caress it, let's take the stairs.

There was another time, where I was stuck in the elevator with someone who had no idea how the gently caress to operate one. I told her that this thing was a piece of poo poo and you had to hold down the button for your floor, but since I was getting off before her, she should wait until after my floor to hit the button for hers. So she stood there and hit all of the goddamn buttons, repeatedly, trying to figure out what the gently caress. It felt like we were in there for an eternity as it went up and down, and eventually opened on the first floor again. I pretty much had to hold her back to keep her from touching anything and drop her off on her floor before going back down to mine because she was just that goddamn dumb.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

There were five people in the elevator as it happened too :stare:

Five and a half.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Q: What’s worse than sharing an elevator with five other people?

A: Sharing it with four and a half.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Bees on Wheat posted:

Pretty sure the elevator in my building is going to kill me someday, which is why I keep using it. :v:

Either the elevator or type 2 diabetes from being a lazy gently caress who uses an elevator to travel 1 floor

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Holy poo poo. Justifies my view that I will never get on one of those.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Those slingshot rides aren't even that much fun. The big swinging pendulum arm ones are way better.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Cojawfee posted:

Or just don't get on one that has visibly lovely looking bungees to begin with

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Buncha pussies itt who won't go on things.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Get hard, face your fears. Be a man. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGz2nLIsDVc

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

Eh, it's got a safety factor of two one. You'll be OK.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Imagined posted:

gently caress the New York Post. I know they're awful and have been awful for decades. There was no plausible journalistic reason to post that. God drat. Watch a guy die so we get some sweet clicks! God drat.

I found it quite instructive. Everyone knows you're not supposed to try and climb out of a stuck/misaligned elevator, so you'd naturally wonder why this guy chose to. And the answer is he didn't. He was walking out and it suddenly started moving and before he had time to think about what to do he was dead.

I understand the dangers of faulty/mismanaged elevators more now than I did before.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

It would be cool if there was a separate "post people dying" thread for the death and then this, the OSHA thread could be used for funny people messing up on the job

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

After videos of poo poo like this started to appear on the internet years ago, I completely stopped getting on any type of amusement ride period. Irrational? Probably... but damnit this is one thing I feel like I am allowed to be irrational about.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I'll ride something in a permanent amusement park.

But if it's a travelling fair, then no way. Rickety deathtraps "maintained" by itinerant methamphetamine enthusiasts.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Memento posted:

But if it's a travelling fair, then no way. Rickety deathtraps "maintained" by itinerant methamphetamine enthusiasts.

I think they prefer the term "methamphetamine aficionados"?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gourmeth

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

I think they prefer the term "methamphetamine aficionados"?

It's about quality versus quantity. If you're sampling the local character of each place's meth then you're an aficionado. If you're just trying to collect as much as possible then you're an enthusiast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Memento posted:

I'm honestly curious about that. I would not be surprised to learn that the travelling ones wind up getting tested/inspected way more often.