Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

Can you link this because it sounds amazing.

It's from his 2018 EOY roast thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru3yZzhhnS8&t=2066s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Playing Return To Dreamland on my Wii. poo poo is cash. First Kirby game and I am definitely going to start playing the series.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Mahoning posted:

So I'm like 3 hours into DragonQuest XI's demo and I genuinely like it. I like the vibe of a turn-based RPG (I also liked the Octopath demo).....and I never grew up playing RPGs at all. I wish I had played them earlier in life when I had way more time on my hands and could stay up all night playing video games.

This is me as well. I’ve never really played a JRPG and I was a bit turned off by the anime vibe but I am hooked. So chill, so fun. I wasn’t planning on buying it at all but now I’ll get it on release day probably.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Trying to find that link I found this, which is basically all you need to know about Tim Rogers:

quote:

Are video game user reviews kinder than pizza user reviews? The short answer is “Yes.” The long answer is this 27-minute video in which I cross-analyze the linguistic patterns of 500 one-star Yelp reviews of famous New York pizzerias and 500 “zero” Metacritic user reviews of acclaimed triple-A video games.

Link in case you actually want to watch a 27 minute expansion on the answer “yes.”

https://kotaku.com/pizza-reviews-are-meaner-than-video-game-user-reviews-1834673926

The dude is the personification of “needs an editor.”

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

yeah he can lean towards gaseous but goddamn that DQ11 review video was great

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Terper posted:

Haha look at this loser who still watches youtube videos at 1x speed.
How dare you accuse me of watching youtube videos!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Disposable Scud posted:

Playing Return To Dreamland on my Wii. poo poo is cash. First Kirby game and I am definitely going to start playing the series.

I just finished Kirby 64, and so I should play this game! I also need to buy the Kirby game for Switch.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tim Rogers was notoriously long-winded long before going to work for Kotaku. They knew what they were getting. He has an editor, and the content you see from him has already been edited.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kirby Star Allies is best enjoyed after sampling a bunch of different mainline ones. It's kind of way too easy normally but redeemed by the literal gobs of fanservice to long time fans smeared everywhere

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Popping in to say that I'm really digging Mario maker. Makes me feel like I'm 12 all over again, dreaming up SMW levels. Spent the past 2 days making levels and meticulously testing them. Really scratches the right itch for me.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Just got my sweet Fire Emblem theme for Tetris. Tossed on an audio book and just kinda cruised through it. Those 100 points aren't nearly as painful as I expected. To anybody put off by the 100pt requirement, give it a shot. You get 5pts(?) for hitting 70 or higher which should be easy most players. I only had 2 single point matches and I felt like I got focused by the entire board for those. Also, turn the quick drop to low sensitivity in the settings if you're on a pro controller. It helped a ton. (Thanks for the advice goons! :D)

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

I said come in! posted:

I just finished Kirby 64, and so I should play this game! I also need to buy the Kirby game for Switch.

How was Kirby 64?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

d3lness posted:

Just got my sweet Fire Emblem theme for Tetris. Tossed on an audio book and just kinda cruised through it. Those 100 points aren't nearly as painful as I expected. To anybody put off by the 100pt requirement, give it a shot. You get 5pts(?) for hitting 70 or higher which should be easy most players. I only had 2 single point matches and I felt like I got focused by the entire board for those. Also, turn the quick drop to low sensitivity in the settings if you're on a pro controller. It helped a ton. (Thanks for the advice goons! :D)

I really like the block colors and pallette, but I don't mind not having the anime faces just staring at you in the backdrop. The music is fine but not Splatoon caliber.

(Sour grapes and all that.)

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The music is fine but not Splatoon caliber.

:frogout:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I really like the block colors and pallette, but I don't mind not having the anime faces just staring at you in the backdrop. The music is fine but not Splatoon caliber.

(Sour grapes and all that.)

Yeah, the animes in the background kind of ruin this theme for me.

And no poo poo, Splatoon music is on another level.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Kirby Star Allies is best enjoyed after sampling a bunch of different mainline ones. It's kind of way too easy normally but redeemed by the literal gobs of fanservice to long time fans smeared everywhere

Agreed. You’ll get a lot more out of it then. Otherwise it’s one of the lesser Kirby games imo. Still good though.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Ah I was wondering how you get themes in Tetris 99. So only during weekend events? Not an FE fan but any excuse is good enough for some Tetris grind.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
star allies is incredible imo for letting you play as so many different characters from the franchise, and not just in a boss rush, in addition to having a massive number of kirby abilities. the four player co-op is just gravy

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Lol at Doom and Doom II not running 60 fps.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
drat, Vice Project Doom is a fun game! Makes me wish they'd bring Power Blade to NES online.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The new Diablo season doesn't start until 1AM UK time :negative:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got 120 hours or so on the PS4 ver of DQ11. It's not hard. The post game is long as gently caress and I platiumed it.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
In the DQ11 demo I’m finding the lack of anything dynamic music-wise jarring. For example when you reach the king and get thrown into prison the same little happy castle/ city music continues playing without missing a beat. It’s like me playing my own music in them he background which isn’t tied to the gameplay at all. Doesn’t seem well polished.

Is the that the fault of the orchestrated sound track? Would the midi version be any different?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I did not know DQ11 had automated battles as an option. That rules. That's how I played through Xenoblade Chronicles 2, it ruled. I could do the collection stuff and wandering around, and go into combat and fold laundry while it played out

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kaewan posted:

In the DQ11 demo I’m finding the lack of anything dynamic music-wise jarring. For example when you reach the king and get thrown into prison the same little happy castle/ city music continues playing without missing a beat. It’s like me playing my own music in them he background which isn’t tied to the gameplay at all. Doesn’t seem well polished.

Is the that the fault of the orchestrated sound track? Would the midi version be any different?

BLARP I can't DOOT DOO DOO hear you over DUN how iconic DUN DUN DOO DOO this music is

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I did not know DQ11 had automated battles as an option. That rules. That's how I played through Xenoblade Chronicles 2, it ruled. I could do the collection stuff and wandering around, and go into combat and fold laundry while it played out

It's cool in that it's as granular or auto as you want. The customizability is great. If you want to grind while paying taxes is great.

That's the huge urge for me to get it on dwitch over other systems.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kaewan posted:

nah it's not just you, the music isn't that poorly composed but it feels like it was made in a vacuum and just plopped down in places it doesn't always make sense. like, I didn't hear a single boss track in the entire demo, it was all the default music which took away from a lot of the boss encounters

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The music was basically the one big glaring flaw reported on across all reviews of the PS4 release. The orchestrated versions of the tracks are slightly better than the midi, but yeah, it gets grating. Which sucks because the tunes are pretty good.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
All this talk about Dragon Quest music made me remember there's a Theatrhythm Dragon Quest game on the 3DS! I know it's Japan-only, but has anyone played it and enjoyed it?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

All this talk about Dragon Quest music made me remember there's a Theatrhythm Dragon Quest game on the 3DS! I know it's Japan-only, but has anyone played it and enjoyed it?

I played a little bit of it. I preferred the Final Fantasy version.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

BisterdDave posted:

I've played the Final Fantasy version and the mechanics are super fun. Assuming you like DQ music, I'd recommend it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
If all of the games I play are showing backed up to the cloud in data management, do I even need to do a transfer in store if I do the trade in? I am all set at that point, right?

E: it should be all set for all users on my switch right? Be brutal if I nuked my kids BOTW save. Not readily apparent how to see user specific save to cloud status, but I'm hunting.

E2: as I can't find a red/blue one near, I'm considering getting the credit and ordering it online

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 23, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Disposable Scud posted:

How was Kirby 64?

It's very cute! The cutscenes are adorable. Kirby having a picnic with his friends after each level is great. Game is also pretty easy for a an N64 game. I always expect this era of games to be painfully difficult.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

BisterdDave posted:

It’s great, and I’ve never played a single DQ game besides DQB... hack your 3DS and import a copy.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

zenintrude posted:

It’s great, and I’ve never played a single DQ game besides DQB... hack your 3DS and import a copy.

I was thinking about importing a copy, but I thought 3DS was region free. Why the need for hacking?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i never liked dragon quest's oom-pah marching band bullshit and dq11 was no exception

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

tim rogers is right in that dragon quest 11 is better than chrono trigger, among other games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Castor Poe posted:

Lol at Doom and Doom II not running 60 fps.

Original Doom has a 35 fps framerate cap

Oxxidation posted:

i never liked dragon quest's oom-pah marching band bullshit and dq11 was no exception

The music in dragon quest as a whole isnt very good, even accounting for mr. warcrimes denier.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

BisterdDave posted:

I was thinking about importing a copy, but I thought 3DS was region free.

Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

I was thinking about importing a copy, but I thought 3DS was region free. Why the need for hacking?

Get CFW on your 3DS and download the game.