Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Kramdar posted:

'98 Godzilla is literally the result of Toho Co. pulling out the Likeness rug from Columbia Tristar and the resulting movie's only connection to OG Godzilla is by name.

Wait, I thought they did that afterwards. Like they were worried about the Tatopoulos design, but still went with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What bothered me about King of the Monsters is how about two thirds of the kaiju battles are obscured in some way making it so you only catch fleeting glimpses at what is supposed to be the main selling point (i.e. monsters loving each other up).

Also how the baddies are trying to reverse global warming because the trend of everyone who actually wants to do something being evil and the heroes wanting to uphold the status quo is getting tiring.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
What the bad guys are doing is killing millions of people while hiding behind an issue that needs to be addressed.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My favourite thing about the '98 Godzilla, is that he had a cameo in a 'real' Japanese Godzilla film, (I forget it's name, but basically Godzilla had to fight a whole bunch of different Kaiju's), and in their fight, Japanese Godzilla just backhands American '98 Godzilla, knocking his arse out cold, and keeps walking without breaking stride.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dr Christmas posted:

But it doesn’t feel like enough for me. Like 700 Club dominionist rear end in a top hat Jesus should be both able and extremely willing to kick the rear end of every old god.

Nah. Largest denomination in the US is Catholicism which is pretty postmodern and amiable at the parish level. Hell, look at the current Pope; he’s apparently open to the possibility that even atheists can get into Heaven. They outnumber Southern Baptists more than 4:1, and the Jesuses of the various evangelical denominations would be too busy throwing down with each other to do anything.

https://youtu.be/WjQTiD3tzAk

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wait, I thought they did that afterwards. Like they were worried about the Tatopoulos design, but still went with it.

I’m no expert. But if you go off of IMDb trivia, it mentions that a lot of the input was from the director to go in a different direction. That’s usually a good cover up though.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

BrigadierSensible posted:

My favourite thing about the '98 Godzilla, is that he had a cameo in a 'real' Japanese Godzilla film, (I forget it's name, but basically Godzilla had to fight a whole bunch of different Kaiju's), and in their fight, Japanese Godzilla just backhands American '98 Godzilla, knocking his arse out cold, and keeps walking without breaking stride.

Close! The scene (from "Godzilla: Final Wars") is definitely worth watching again for a refresher.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

FreudianSlippers posted:

What bothered me about King of the Monsters is how about two thirds of the kaiju battles are obscured in some way making it so you only catch fleeting glimpses at what is supposed to be the main selling point (i.e. monsters loving each other up).

It drove me nuts.

You know how bad fighting choreography is usually hidden by cutting right before a blow is actually landed and switching angles? Imagine that but every time a monster is gonna get hit it cuts to the girl from stranger things yelling at her mom.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ghidorah's left head is the best kaiju.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I had no issue following the fights in Godzilla 2 and people are really understating the amount of fights in it.

The issue is the superfluous human characters, not the monster fighting which was pretty good.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Nah. Largest denomination in the US is Catholicism which is pretty postmodern and amiable at the parish level. Hell, look at the current Pope; he’s apparently open to the possibility that even atheists can get into Heaven. They outnumber Southern Baptists more than 4:1, and the Jesuses of the various evangelical denominations would be too busy throwing down with each other to do anything.

Evangelicals represent political power and not much else. Most of them don't go to or support their churches, but they're single issue voters so they get an out-sized influence.

If it wasn't for those drat kids the Catholic church would look surprisingly progressive compared to a lot of Protestant denominations.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Dammerung posted:

Close! The scene (from "Godzilla: Final Wars") is definitely worth watching again for a refresher.

not the opera house! thats where we keep our fat ladies!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Krispy Wafer posted:

Evangelicals represent political power and not much else. Most of them don't go to or support their churches, but they're single issue voters so they get an out-sized influence.

If it wasn't for those drat kids the Catholic church would look surprisingly progressive compared to a lot of Protestant denominations.

Or their stance on abortion.

Or their official views on homosexuality.

My IIMM is in the movie Silence when they'd cut to a picture of Jesus when Rodriguez has his crisis of faith. The reflection of Jesus in the water over Rodriguez's face was kind of hammy too. We get it, you're Christ-like in your persecution for spreading Christianity in Japan.

I dunno, I guess I liked The Last Temptation of Christ better.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

Or their stance on abortion.

Or their official views on homosexuality.

My IIMM is in the movie Silence when they'd cut to a picture of Jesus when Rodriguez has his crisis of faith. The reflection of Jesus in the water over Rodriguez's face was kind of hammy too. We get it, you're Christ-like in your persecution for spreading Christianity in Japan.

I dunno, I guess I liked The Last Temptation of Christ better.

To be fair almost every religion has suspect opinions about abortion and homosexuality, but Catholics are known for kids. They probably don't abuse children anymore often than church leaders of other religions, but papists kept written records of all the people abusing them.

Is the Last Temptation any good? I've always meant to watch that.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In Godzilla 2 all the goofy GI Joe-level military technology like the stupid flying wing operations center also irritated me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

At least they didn't have giant laser tanks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Krispy Wafer posted:

To be fair almost every religion has suspect opinions about abortion and homosexuality, but Catholics are known for kids. They probably don't abuse children anymore often than church leaders of other religions, but papists kept written records of all the people abusing them.

No, that's every religion, too.

https://twitter.com/JaBogen/status/...23post493577464

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is the Last Temptation any good? I've always meant to watch that.

For a film where Scorcese explores his thoughts on his religion, I think it's great. Jesus is more of a firebrand while Judas seems more of the "rational" one.

Of course everybody freaked out over the "Jesus had sex" part but that was kind of the point. Jesus saw life a regular human*, which included starting a family & dying of old age. I think Silence looks better (year's of doing films sharpened his craft well) but i think The Last Temptation of Christ was more passionate & from the heart.

Speaking of passionate, my IIMM of The Passion of the Christ is the implication that Jesus invented the high standing table. My totally rational irritating movie moment is the rest of the film.

*excluding goons

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

For a film where Scorcese explores his thoughts on his religion, I think it's great. Jesus is more of a firebrand while Judas seems more of the "rational" one.

Of course everybody freaked out over the "Jesus had sex" part but that was kind of the point. Jesus saw life a regular human*, which included starting a family & dying of old age. I think Silence looks better (year's of doing films sharpened his craft well) but i think The Last Temptation of Christ was more passionate & from the heart.

Speaking of passionate, my IIMM of The Passion of the Christ is the implication that Jesus invented the high standing table. My totally rational irritating movie moment is the rest of the film.

*excluding goons

Okay, that makes sense. If I'm recalling correctly the story is Jesus being tempted by the Devil, showing what his life could've/would've been like and Jesus decides to forgo Earthly pleasures and die on the cross. Which you'd think would be a reaffirmation for religious people, but of course not. I'll stick it on my watch list.

And I'm not spoilering that ending. If there's an after credits scene I'll put spoiler tags on that.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Phanatic posted:

What? Nah.

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I'm irritated that the go to song to show that it's the 80's is "You Spin Me Round"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gaunab posted:

I'm irritated that the go to song to show that it's the 80's is "You Spin Me Round"

I'm convinced it's because the Wedding Singer used it to open the movie.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Gaunab posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlfK51tN-xo

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

That doesn't contradict at all, open the table. Catholicism is the largest individual denomination, 20.8%. Southern Baptists are 5.3%. Under that table of "Evangelical Protestants" are a whole bunch of schismed and fractious subsects who feel that all the others are going straight to hell, they would not all have one Jesus in Gaimanland.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Thor Ragnarok:

The movie sure does jump through a poo poo-ton of hoops in the first twenty minutes just to get to the story they want to tell. FIRST Thor beats Surtur, THEN Thor reunites with Loki, THEN Thor gets help from a wizard, THEN Odin dies, WHICH leads to Hela showing up, WHO strands Thor in Saakar. I guess they didn't want to break a two hour runtime so they just rocket through the first act at mach speed.

Karl Urban feels weirdly disconnected from the action since none of the heroes ever get to acknowledge his existence and the story would have been the same without his involvement.

Sorry, three guys. You were the supporting characters from the pretty lame prior movies. At least one of you has a career as Shazam.

It's all well and good to have a sense of humour but you don't need undercut every dramatic-beat with a joke all the time.

The adage "Asgard is not a place, but a people," would have held a lot more weight if wasn't introduced in the last 15 minutes. Reminds me of when all the serjeants started saying "Words are Wind", in the GRRM book that reminded me that the Wheel of Time was finished and probably has a better ending.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
The speeding through things in the beginning is a good thing to me. The Loki is pretending to be Odin set up at the end of Dark World was stupid and I'm glad they acknowledged that and sped through it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gaunab posted:

The speeding through things in the beginning is a good thing to me. The Loki is pretending to be Odin set up at the end of Dark World was stupid and I'm glad they acknowledged that and sped through it.

It felt really, really Edgar-Wright-esque to me, especially in the start. There's a bit where it's multiple smash cuts* from Thor telling off Loki, opening the Bifrost, shooting out the beam, Earth, New York that is pure Cornetto trilogy.

*not sure if that's the right word but it's the one I'm using

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I thought Ragnarok was good compared to Dark World, which I’ve seen fully and can’t remember a single thing about.

I think there’s some red stuff in it?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The best part of The Dark World is The Great Thorbowski trying to explain it's plot to the rest of the Avengers in Endgame and they all being justifiably baffled

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rolo posted:

I thought Ragnarok was good compared to Dark World, which I’ve seen fully and can’t remember a single thing about.

There’s some red stuff and the bad guys with pointy ears want it and I think they use it to blow up Vulcan?

Wait.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I’m watching Chopping Mall on Amazon Prime and it’s got a similar theme to Dawn of the Dead in that the mall has a gun shop. Also a place to buy tanks of propane and gasoline.

Has anyone ever seen a gun store in a shopping mall? Is this just a deus ex machina or were my local malls just lame?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’m watching Chopping Mall on Amazon Prime and it’s got a similar theme to Dawn of the Dead in that the mall has a gun shop. Also a place to buy tanks of propane and gasoline.

Has anyone ever seen a gun store in a shopping mall? Is this just a deus ex machina or were my local malls just lame?

I've been to a mall with a bass pro shop in it, I think they have guns. Don't know about tanks of propane and gasoline, but sears probably would have those and they're in malls.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Krispy Wafer posted:

sounds like you live in some kind of godless liberal pinko hellhole

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

walmart has guns

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I've been to a mall with a bass pro shop in it, I think they have guns. Don't know about tanks of propane and gasoline, but sears probably would have those and they're in malls.

Sears went belly up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gaunab posted:

Sears went belly up.

There's one open within walking distance of my apartment

Edit: it is not on the list of Sears closing this year

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I know Walmart has guns, but this is an actual mall with a food court, elevators, and anchor stores. I’ve seen sporting goods shops in malls, but those sold tennis rackets and fishing poles - not firearms.

The 80’s were also a surprisingly rational and moderate time when people didn’t open carry AR-15’s around JC Penney.

Krankenstyle posted:

sounds like you live in some kind of godless liberal pinko hellhole

My governor got elected by airing commercials of himself aiming guns at teenage boys his daughter likes and yet somehow I can’t get a .357 magnum and bourbon chicken at the same place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rolo posted:

Also a bit with portals and Mjolnir's pathfinding going all over the place.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

And a worthy hatrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Rolo posted:

I remember it being a tremendous waste of Chris Eccleston