Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Horror is actually usually the best when it's a secondary element in games which is why I don't get the FEAR complaint. Straight horror games are usually gimmicky and boring. Like, I am a complete horror junkie and almost none of the horror games I like strictly rely on Horror because it's so limiting. The worst thing I could say about FEAR is that the horror is pretty cliche but I think it still works as a horror shooter. It's pretty spooky and you get to blast a lot of dudes and that's what the game is all about. It's corny but whatever. Jump scares are fun enough.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont care for the horror in FEAR because it interrupts the fun part of using a gun that makes people into skeletons.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Barudak posted:

Half-Life 1 AI is really, really stupid, it just has excellent barks, level design that supports its limited knowledge, and critically enough health to do what they want before dying.

Combine in HL2 do have some AI that does neat things, but they die so quickly it doesnt matter.

Yeah, HL1 actually has pretty simplistic AI, but it's handled effectively. Plus, at the time it came out, having any AI that wasn't "stand still and shoot" or "run forward and shoot" was uncommon.

Fun fact, only up to three marines will shoot at the player at one time. Other marines will be maneuvering. And their movement around rooms is based on nodes defined in the map so they know where to move to, so it's not determined by algorithms or anything.

The game was well crafted to provide the illusion of enhancing the limited AI that the marines had.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think its really important for people to get fun AI is not necessarily "smart" in any way and that the limitations on fun AI in games has not been hardware side for a long long time. Honestly the part of an AI that needs far and away the most work is how it communicates to players what its intentions are or what its responses will be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HJE-Cobra posted:

The game was well crafted to provide the illusion of enhancing the limited AI that the marines had.

That's kind of what I mean about how most of the experience is presentation. Even things like action games like Platinum games and No More Heroes where you can tell what enemies are about to do and what state they're in by their pose and animation. This has the additional benefits of giving the enemies personality and making the world feel more alive.

I feel a key thing is you need to know what the limitations of the AI is and design around them. Of course, there's a big problem in sandbox and randomly generated games where they don't have a reliable environment to move around.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Barudak posted:

I think its really important for people to get fun AI is not necessarily "smart" in any way and that the limitations on fun AI in games has not been hardware side for a long long time. Honestly the part of an AI that needs far and away the most work is how it communicates to players what its intentions are or what its responses will be.

Yeah. AI should function to provide the player with a fun winnable challenge. It doesn't have to resemble human intelligence, or be unpredictable, its fun to learn an AI's weaknesses and exploit them

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shibawanko posted:

its fun to learn an AI's weaknesses and exploit them

this, an AI is a puzzle that can be approached in novel ways but it shouldn't necessarily be a vertical wall of difficulty. civ 5's AI is kind of stupid but having thoroughly picked it apart, it can be really interesting to determine how to capture cities with a stone age army, knowing the targeting priority

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

alien isolation is a great horror game & also has pretty good AI. it's too drat long for a horror game, but there's nothing I'd cut

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poverty goat posted:

alien isolation is a great horror game & also has pretty good AI. it's too drat long for a horror game, but there's nothing I'd cut

I was gonna say I'd probably cut that one spelling error in the .ini file that broke the AI in half for months until someone unrelated to the developers figured it out, but that was the other Aliens game I guess

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I tried the latest fire emblem after seeing a lot of praise, its not a good videogame, far too easy, a total nonsense of a plot, i got 6 hours in and the constant barrage of tutorial messages finally wore me down enough to list it on eBay.

I'm normally bad for keeping games and thinking ill get round to them eventually but it was a nice realization that I would never find any fun in this one and getting rid ASAP feels very cathartic.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I was gonna say I'd probably cut that one spelling error in the .ini file that broke the AI in half for months until someone unrelated to the developers figured it out, but that was the other Aliens game I guess

Thats a different game. That was Aliens Colonial Marines.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Shibawanko posted:

Slenderman was dumb and not scary but at least you can say that it used the medium pretty well, the way the bad guy teleports around when you're not looking at him is a good scary effect even if Slenderman himself isn't scary at all and the game oversells itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YlEPwOfmk

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Horror is actually usually the best when it's a secondary element in games which is why I don't get the FEAR complaint.

The FEAR complaint is about FEAR really being 2 games, and wanting more of one game and less of the other

Half-Life probably wouldn't have been as good if you replaced half of the game with horror cutscenes where you get chased by an unkillable ghost girl, no matter how competently-made those segments were.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Horror games need something other than horror. When Amnesia came out some people talked about its brilliance because you couldn't fight back. But the downside to that is eventually you stop getting scared (for me at least) and just get bored. FRAR kept me scared throughout because you couldn't predict the scares as much.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Fear is only scary if you play it how they want you to play it. Once you start bunny hopping around with dualies poppin heads off its just another generic shooter.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

dudeness posted:

When Amnesia came out some people talked about its brilliance because you couldn't fight back. But the downside to that is eventually you stop getting scared (for me at least) and just get bored.

Yeah this has always been a problem with horror games for me. The first time I die immediately reminds me that I'm playing a video game and then the horror is gone. A good horror game needs A+ level design to work well - you have to be on edge but always figure out what to do at the last second.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

At the time of Amnesia, the concept of a game where you just had to explore and couldn't directly fight back by just shooting the problem felt rather novel. Now that there are a hundred Amnesia games, less so.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah that's tough thing about horror games. Dying is not scary and is usually just immersion breaking. But it's also hard to get rid of because the anticipation of death is usually somewhat essential to horror. Some people have complained about the monster encounters from Soma, but I think Frictional did a good job with it. It's a fairly hard game to die in, but it's still there so the stress is still present. I think it was an improvement over Amnesia.

I think Outlast was pretty marred by this whole issue. Like, it's a cheesy game but back when it came out it was pretty goddamn scary. The problem is that every time you die it just matters less and about half way through it just loses all of the wind from it's sails as dying becomes an annoyance. it quickly went from one of the scariest games I'd ever played to just irritating once the man behind the curtain started to show too much.

This is usually less of an issue with hybrid horror games like say, Resident Evil because you are interacting with the game more and it's not just relying on story and scares.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 23, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've tried a couple of times to replay alien isolation but I just end up sitting in a locker smoking weed because I know if I leave it and try to complete the objectives I'll have to watch the alien brutally murder me dozens more times. Maybe if I just stay in the locker help will come

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah that's tough thing about horror games. Dying is not scary and is usually just immersion breaking. But it's also hard to get rid of because the anticipation of death is usually somewhat essential to horror. Some people have complained about the monster encounters from Soma, but I think Frictional did a good job with it. It's a fairly hard game to die in, but it's still there so the stress is still present. I think it was an improvement over Amnesia.

I think Outlast was pretty marred by this whole issue. Like, it's a cheesy game but back when it came out it was pretty goddamn scary. The problem is that every time you die it just matters less and about half way through it just loses all of the wind from it's sails as dying becomes an annoyance. it quickly went from one of the scariest games I'd ever played to just irritating once the man behind the curtain started to show too much.

This is usually less of an issue with hybrid horror games like say, Resident Evil because you are interacting with the game more and it's not just relying on story and scares.

The way RE handles it (RE4 in particular) they keep the parts that can work, the game is notorious for featuring an absurd amount of unique death scenes, so basically they at least kept the gore, used the game format to show you 100+ detailed deaths of your character. They also do a lot more stuff with tension related to OCD and always running out of ammo of some kind, as well as unfair/invincible enemies which is the closest thing you feel to "fear" in a videogame, when done in a certain way of contrasting it against easier enemies to build up the player's courage first. Another thing RE has is really unnerving slugging movement speed while being forced into faster action sequences, which can be more hit or miss.

I think one thing you can do that isn't really tried is having the player die in unknown conditions, because it could be frustrating or seem glitchy, but it could probably be done in a really clever way to invoke some fear of the unknown.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 24, 2019

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I had a shitload of fun with Dead by Daylight, I realize it isn't quite a straight horror game but drat it could scare me.

That feeling of dread when you have almost all the generators done then hear the "One, two, Freddy's coming for you..." song.

Did anyone play the Friday the 13th one?

I had no internet the month it was free and missed it, man that pissed me off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

The way RE handles it (RE4 in particular) they keep the parts that can work, the game is notorious for featuring an absurd amount of unique death scenes, so basically they at least kept the gore, used the game format to show you 100+ detailed deaths of your character. They also do a lot more stuff with tension related to OCD and always running out of ammo of some kind, as well as unfair/invincible enemies which is the closest thing you feel to "fear" in a videogame, when done in a certain way of contrasting it against easier enemies to build up the player's courage first. Another thing RE has is really unnerving slugging movement speed while being forced into faster action sequences, which can be more hit or miss.

I think one thing you can do that isn't really tried is having the player die in unknown conditions, because it could be frustrating or seem glitchy, but it could probably be done in a really clever way to invoke some fear of the unknown.

Horror games do best when they get the right balance of agency. RE4 seems to work because you're playing an action hero but that's just barely sufficient to survive because you're up against insane odds and escalating crazy poo poo coming out of the woodwork to kill you horribly.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It took four years for someone to find it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Horror games need to dangle your savefiles in front of you. Replace fear for your life with fear of lost progress and your time going down the drain.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

SMB1>SMB2>SMB3, in order of quality

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

things really went downhill with SMB ME but SMB 2000 and SMB XP were alright

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

SMB3 is good but its flaws are that it's too long for what it is and the gameplay sometimes wears out its welcome, I really don't like the clouds bonus stage with the slow side scrolling and identical layouts, in general there are too many side scrolling levels, the "line up the faces" bonus game is mostly luck based and not all of the level layouts are good.

SMB1, like SML1, is the perfect length and has the perfect amount of elements for a game of its size. The characters and enemies are all cute and have a distinct purpose and don't crowd one another out.

SMB2 has superior enemy design and the throwing mechanic is cool, also a lot of variety in the stages. It also has by far the best bosses.

I just played through all of them on my famicom and a CRT. I'm the Mario Man.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

Horror games need to dangle your savefiles in front of you. Replace fear for your life with fear of lost progress and your time going down the drain.

Thats scary until you die and then you never play it again.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I had a shitload of fun with Dead by Daylight, I realize it isn't quite a straight horror game but drat it could scare me.

That feeling of dread when you have almost all the generators done then hear the "One, two, Freddy's coming for you..." song.

Did anyone play the Friday the 13th one?

I had no internet the month it was free and missed it, man that pissed me off.

The friday the 13th game was the shittiest feeling game I've ever played on release and it turned us all off within a week.

it just wasn't fun to do anything because it was just so incredibly janky

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Unpopular Videogame Opinions: After about five minutes of gigglesobbing I felt much better

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
For a game they chose to name Fallout: New Vegas they sure didn't think through the map and quest structure of the area called New Vegas. Deliver message to A, deliver answer to B, deliver answer to answer to A, then complete quest by talking to B. Number of loading screens: 128. Quest reward: 100 money and XP equivalent to killing three geckos.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Shibawanko posted:

SMB1>SMB2>SMB3, in order of quality

this is very correct and i agree 10000% with your reasoning particularly re: 3

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

this is very correct and i agree 10000% with your reasoning particularly re: 3

Something always felt a little tedious about 3 to me even back in the day, it has some really cool things but it feels a bit like it's trying to be the game SMW would later become on a system that can't quite deliver that. The koopa shell mechanics feel off, in particular, sometimes the raccoon powerup feels a bit clumsy (try to hit a block at 1 z-level above where you are). There's also a lot of reused graphics and levels that feel samey and like a chore. The ship levels are boring, so is most of world 8 with those scrolling tank levels, bosses are the same thing x8. Most of all the game should just be shorter, or have more assets to work with.

By contrast 2 has some very clear milestones. Killing the first Mouser, the first Triclyde and Fryguy all feel like accomplishments and are followed by new levels and gameplay elements, which makes the game flow better.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 24, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Project Gotham Racing should have all the Batmobiles

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

In SMB3 you can turn into Raccoon Mario to fly up into the sky and find a cloud with some coins or a 1 up. In SMW you can become Cape Mario and fly into the clouds to put a key into a keyhole that unlocks a path through a pond with sleeping fish that chase you, followed by a ghost house with a secret entrance guarded by a unique ghost boss which leads to a secret star shaped area with unique Yoshis which in turn leads to another secret area which, if finished, turns the entire world into the negaverse.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah but gently caress Yoshi that little guy sucked.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Something always felt a little tedious about 3 to me even back in the day, it has some really cool things but it feels a bit like it's trying to be the game SMW would later become on a system that can't quite deliver that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfrNnwJrujw&feature=youtu.be&t=1

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Shibawanko posted:

In SMB3 you can turn into Raccoon Mario to fly up into the sky and find a cloud with some coins or a 1 up. In SMW you can become Cape Mario and fly into the clouds to put a key into a keyhole that unlocks a path through a pond with sleeping fish that chase you, followed by a ghost house with a secret entrance guarded by a unique ghost boss which leads to a secret star shaped area with unique Yoshis which in turn leads to another secret area which, if finished, turns the entire world into the negaverse.

YOU ARE A SUPER PLAYER !!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I mean yeah it's obviously a technological accomplishment but as a game I just think it has some big flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

I mean yeah it's obviously a technological accomplishment but as a game I just think it has some big flaws.

I meant you were right when you said they were trying to pull off stuff the NES wasn't designed for.