Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I finally booted up MGSV, starting with the Ground Zeroes section, and I'm enjoying the rapid change from tense stealth thriller as I methodically sneak through a compound to extract prisoners, to Three Stooges-level inanity as I run out of tranq bullets, get spotted, and decide to just jump into a tank and go for broke :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The best way to beat The End is to chase him down and football kick his prone rear end every time he flash bangs you :colbert: Sniping is for cowards

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Captain Hygiene posted:

I finally booted up MGSV, starting with the Ground Zeroes section, and I'm enjoying the rapid change from tense stealth thriller as I methodically sneak through a compound to extract prisoners, to Three Stooges-level inanity as I run out of tranq bullets, get spotted, and decide to just jump into a tank and go for broke :hellyeah:

That's wild that I posted a meme about MGSV to you a week ago and you're playing it now. On the 3rd mission in MGSV proper, look around the dropsite for a while for a barking puppy and extract it. It will periodically grow at your base, and eventually you'll be able to take it into the field with you, and upgrade his gear. I beat the entire game with him as my companion, he's awesome.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

That's wild that I posted a meme about MGSV to you a week ago and you're playing it now. On the 3rd mission in MGSV proper, look around the dropsite for a while for a barking puppy and extract it. It will periodically grow at your base, and eventually you'll be able to take it into the field with you, and upgrade his gear. I beat the entire game with him as my companion, he's awesome.

Haha thanks for the reminder, I hadn't realized it was something I had to go out of my way for. I'll definitely do that since dog adventures are the biggest reason I looked into the game :ninja::dogcited:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Speaking of MGSV, I've been watching chip cheezum's let's play of it for the insane stupid bullshit the game let's you get away with. Trying to stop a jeep to save a POW, but its surrounded by enemies and a tank? No worries, just throw a smoke grenade in your jeep, drive over there undetected because they cant see you through the smoke, throw down two cardboard boxes with sexy ladies on the side, park in front of the tank so it has to stop, and boom! You can just hop in the jeep with the POW and drive away undetected!

Also, the surprise in the medical platform with the room you can enter is... something.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
what's the surprise?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I know it's a dumb thing to moan about, but posts in this thread that are all "And then this cool little thing in a game happens... but I won't tell you what it is for some reason" are really annoying.

Content: Life is Strange 2 is continuing to be explicitly political by having you get beaten up by trump supporters and it's nice to see a game not trying to straddle the fence.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Aug 23, 2019

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's a hallucination and the hospital room can't even exist in how the structure is designed

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dash Rendar posted:

what's the surprise?

It's the Paz side-story. I don't think the game ever points you towards that other than the light above that door being green or something

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So I got back into let it die when I realised I don't need ps+ plus, and honestly what make the game a lot more enjoyable to me is the fact that its got a optional radio that actually has pretty good music, and helps accentuate the games weird flavor during normal combat way better than the regular ingame music, which is just sorta environmental music. The game itself takes a lot of grinding but they have been steadily making it more and more friendly to actually play, especially since now you can use the ingame earned money recover any deaths regardless of what floor you are on.

Just a few samples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBr39BaS00o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enr3-9XapEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4TUdg_w188

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9qLIXpfKBY&list=PLSgHfvCDyQ8C9o1VYMSRxExJ70HJYFABZ&index=80

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zoig posted:

So I got back into let it die when I realised I don't need ps+ plus, and honestly what make the game a lot more enjoyable to me is the fact that its got a optional radio that actually has pretty good music, and helps accentuate the games weird flavor during normal combat way better than the regular ingame music, which is just sorta environmental music. The game itself takes a lot of grinding but they have been steadily making it more and more friendly to actually play, especially since now you can use the ingame earned money recover any deaths regardless of what floor you are on.

Oh? Is there a list of changes like this out there somewhere? I'd be interested to see how the game has changed since the PC release disregarding stuff like one-time/rotating events.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Well i know that on release you had to pay real money to recover your dude unless you went back to where they died and killed their corpse, but i was mostly talking about compared to intial release. Pc is still mostly the same, and the game still needs you to have a wiki to understand stuff.

That being said, i also gave up a year ago when I died one room away from the 30th floor stairs and when i came back this year my guy had everything so that was weird but nice. they did also add a real endgame with a randomized hard dungeon and let you uncap things so its def getting updates still.

Zoig has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Aug 23, 2019

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Captain Hygiene posted:

Haha thanks for the reminder, I hadn't realized it was something I had to go out of my way for. I'll definitely do that since dog adventures are the biggest reason I looked into the game :ninja::dogcited:

Be sure to update us when you find him, I think D-Dog is probably the best dog in gaming.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am constantly frustrated that the horses in Red Dead aren't half as good as D-Horse.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

I am constantly frustrated that the horses in Red Dead aren't half as good as D-Horse.

D-Horse is definitely a consequential animal. Also, craps on demand.

MGS3 spoilers: what we were talking about with The Sorrow earlier was you get to a certain part of the game where you walk down a shallow river while every npc you've killed walks towards you with whatever wounds were inflicted to kill them.
At certain points previous, if a soldier is killed, a vulture can start eating him. If this happens and you've shot and eaten the vulture, when you meet the litany of your sins, said soldier is like, "What the gently caress, you loving ate me!? YOU loving ATE ME!!!"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My favourite part of MGS3 was the glitch where if you didn't heal injuries before certain cutscenes, they'd become cosmetically permanent. Which is why my Snake spent most of the game with a crossbow bolt sticking out of his skull, even while in disguise as a scientist.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been reading through the MGS3 commentary and it's full of great little things:

quote:

"In this scene inside Granin's office, we had Granin's motion actor really drink whiskey, and filmed with him being drunk. It was shaky. Dialogue lines got skipped mid way, the studio stunk of booze, it was a fiasco."

quote:

"Snake, being poisoned (by The Fear's neurotoxin) spasms and shakes and loses feeling, so all vibration functions become disabled."

quote:

"When Snake wakes up, press R1 and it's the close up of Eva's chest, view normally and it's Eva's changing scene. Both good. This is for the players to practice using the R1 button. Also, press R1 lightly and Snake's eyes will be opened narrowly, press it strongly and Snake's eyes will open widely and see better.
This is a world first, pressure sensitive eyelids! (laughs). And it is put to use for the first time here.

And for Elfface...

quote:

By the way, if arrows hit Snake, they will appear stuck on Snake's body in the Survival Viewer. If you don't properly pull out the arrows when you Cure, the wounds will heal with the arrows still embedded. They will remain throughout the rest of the game! There can be a maximum of 64 arrows embedded. Definitely, go for the ending with lots of arrows attached! However, if you leave arrows attached to the head, you risk looking extremely silly, so beware!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWO_BLxUNAs

edit:

quote:

"Snake and Ocelot, from the first moment they set eyes upon each other, they both fell into liking with each other. It is a pure love."

:allears:

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Aug 24, 2019

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I can foresee this thread being filled with posts
, uh, post-Death Stranding.

Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War has some weirdness going on. FMV cutscenes filmed in English and dubbed by popular English language anime voice-over actors, for one. These cutscenes are documentary interviews of your vanquished foes, talking about the war and fighting you. The whole thing feels a bit like Swery65 and a group of children playing with toy fighter jets, if that makes any sense. Less coffee, more Spanish guitar.

One other little thing hidden in the menus of that game is the Assault Records. They are an advent calendar of sorts with thumbnails of the plane the "ace" opponents you shoot down during missions were flying, along with a short pilot bio. Every pilot has a story, every squadron has it's own, each has some importance to the over-all narrative of the war. Shot down or KIA, it shows you the consequences of your actions (shortly before the world goes to poo poo in an impressively different way). One guy gets shot down by you in the second mission and the diary recovered from his body, addressed to his wife and daughter, becomes the best selling book in the world about the war :smith:.

The final boss plane also deserves mention. It can only be damaged after dueling in three stages. The first two are feeling each other out by performing stunts and using ever more deadly weapons. The last is jousting at Mach 2 to a vibrant flamenco tune. Kurosawa in Civil War-era Spain with jets :jazzhands:

madeintaipei has a new favorite as of 01:29 on Aug 24, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also the sorrow fight takes about 20 seconds regardless of how many people you killed because you can just drown yourself in the river.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

I've been reading through the MGS3 commentary and it's full of great little things:

And for Elfface...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWO_BLxUNAs

edit:

:allears:

My favorite thing about the first person cutscenes is they still exist in 4 but the game doesn't tell you. I noticed it looked like Snake was staring at someone's rear end during a cutscene so I pressed the button.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

Also the sorrow fight takes about 20 seconds regardless of how many people you killed because you can just drown yourself in the river.

That's there so you don't get hosed on a "kill everything you encounter" run. MGS3 is like a Porsche 911. Lots of options in a very small space.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I remember another thing I like a lot in LET IT DIE is that the usable powerup items and tools are weird mushrooms, and while most of them are pretty neat like the mushroom thats just a exploding rocket fist the little thing is that you have a picture book that keeps track of them and what they do. However the book also has a short text blurb per mushroom that describes them and how they taste, so the repair one is meaty and tasty, the ones you get off birds are best in soup, dragonshooms are very chewy but boring and so on. Amusingly, this includes the boomshroom, which explodes and accordingly tastes like gunpowder.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Let it Die would have been a good game if it wasn't so predatory, grindy, and samey. The story's fun, Uncle Death is hilarious, and the aesthetic is cool like in most Grasshopper Manufacture games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Let it Die would have been a good game if it wasn't so predatory, grindy, and samey. The story's fun, Uncle Death is hilarious, and the aesthetic is cool like in most Grasshopper Manufacture games.

This is what makes me so sad about it. I would gladly have paid a full 60 dollars for Let It Die because it is so utterly charming, intriguing, and has its own identity spilling out all over the place. If it were not a free to play game with all the negative traits that carries it would have been so, so much better.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The ending is really funny though, it was designed to make you scream "what the gently caress just happened, I spent thirty thousand dollars on this."

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I played so much of that lovely game and regret it.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Rollersnake posted:

I never even got as far as The End, and that fight sounds like torture, because I am just awful at stealth. MGS3 is where I gave up on the series, because I found it unplayable without the clear radar screen that shows the cone of vision for every enemy, and it introduced so many new systems that just felt like busywork.

Honestly, I don't think I ever really cared for MGS except for the boss fights and bizarre parts. Which are excellent. I had Arsenal Gear in MGS2 almost completely spoiled for me, and I still loved every minute of it. :allears:

MGS HD edition has an option for a 45 degree angle camera which lets you see what is ahead of you more readily as compared to the top down view. I found it made the game a bit too easy because it was designed for the top down perspective, where you needed the radar more.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Star Control: Origins - The ship you fly on is humanity's first star ship. While top of the line human technology, it is baby's first space ship to nearly every other major alien race and they frequently remind you of it. You get teased for piloting a "metal tube tipped with nuclear warheads" that is basically a "garbage ship". If you ever try and bluff a threat by using your powerful space ship for an example, you immediately get called out on the fact that your ship is clearly space junk with other species' technology strapped to it to make it go faster--which is 100% true. I mean, your garbage ship can totally kick rear end but no one ever believes it can until you do.

One alien species is controlled by a central AI and tries to convince you to install "upgrades" to make ship "better" and it's clearly an attempt to spread itself and take control of you. If you decline the offer, it gets indignant and points out that you clearly have no problem attaching parts to you ship from every other alien species.

i love that the universe sees humanity as a bunch of reckless apes flying through the galaxy on nuclear tipped garbage.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Danaru posted:

The best way to beat The End is to chase him down and football kick his prone rear end every time he flash bangs you :colbert: Sniping is for cowards

Best way to kill The End is to snipe him as he's being wheeled away from the first cutscene he's in. Just remember to move as soon as you've shot him.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TheMostFrench posted:

MGS HD edition has an option for a 45 degree angle camera which lets you see what is ahead of you more readily as compared to the top down view. I found it made the game a bit too easy because it was designed for the top down perspective, where you needed the radar more.

That camera was actually introduced in the MGS:Subsistence rerelease on PS2, so it’s not as new as you might think. It really does make it a different game though, and you can see the influence it had on the rest of the series in Peace Walker and MGSV.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dash Rendar posted:

i love that the universe sees humanity as a bunch of reckless apes flying through the galaxy on nuclear tipped garbage.

Yeah, the lore of the very first game says that humans are an incredibly recent arrival on the interstellar scene. Earthlings advanced incredibly rapidly from the moment we took to space but were definitely viewed as a bunch of reckless, nearly psychotic apes. Humanity al went from a pre-industrial culture to space faring so fast the other races went "how in the hell did you even do that?"

It was also clear the other races in the Alliance of Free Stars very much had an attitude of "and we're very glad they're on our side."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"So what does humanity bring to the Alliance's fight against the Ur-Quan?" "Well, we have like 10000 nuclear warheads locked away in our vaults" "jesus what"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I like about Remedy's games is how they keep finding ways to bring back actors from previous games. In Alan Wake Thomas Zane, the previous writer who faced the Darkness, was played by James McCaffrey (Max Payne.) While their new game, Control, will have both McCaffrey and Matthew Porretta (Alan Wake) as secondary characters.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

In MGS3, Ocelot saves the jammed bullet from your first encounter and wears it as a pendant around his neck. Later, when he tries to fire it at you, it has a little case around it. That's because it was intended for an automatic pistol and he's converted it to work in his new revolver.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, the lore of the very first game...

yeah i just did a playthrough of SC2 beforehand and really like that they kept that theme. Origins is an alternate (read: legally distinct) universe because there was some legal issues with the creators of the IP and the publisher. sounds like it has been settled, but none of the original races make appearances and a lot of events happen differently.

For example, there are no Androsynths--robots that gained sentience and rebelled against humanity, fleeing to another planet. Instead, a segment of humanity become posthuman after transcending to a higher plane of being. They, the Lexites, leave Earth before the events of the game, so like the Androsynth, theyve mysteriously disappeared from the known galaxy.

There's also a star named Fwiffo and the supergiant stars have traders that are legally distinct from the Melnorme (they are called the Maelnir). So lots of old Star Control easter eggs, though Ive not played SC3 yet.

The writing is solid and in the same vein as old Star Control so I am digging it coming right after 2. It does kind of suck that no old species make an appearance though.

Well... inconsequential spoiler: The Piq from the Zoq-Fot-Piq appear as minor aliens. They are refugees on a planet. In this universe, the Zoq, Fot, and Piq never put aside their differences to defeat the Zebranky, so they fled their homeworld to avoid being eaten. They lament not being able to play frungy anymore...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly, I'm not even ashamed. More games should have a "wow, you're bad...here, just have fun" option.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I am also coincidentally playing MGSV and I appreciate that the game lets you fumble through a mission if your carefully planned stealth goes awry. I stalk around, mark my targets, set a couple of C4 just in case, interrogate a couple of dummies to get more info but if everything still goes tits up, well, I hope none of you guys have good stats.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

At the cost of your dignity you can use the chicken hat to beat missions, complete side-objectives, and finish side-ops. Getting an S-Rank is easily complimented with a load of options that don't limit your rank.

Then you have games like Red Dead II where every mission is linear without deviation, heavy curated, and with a poo poo-scoring system. You're not allowed to replay a mission for gold-medals using anything other than the weak default loadout.

Perhaps it would be better for some open-worlds not to break up the story into strict missions with rankings, since you then have missions like "Watch cutscene" or "Buy item from shop". Just look at this poo poo: https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Masks

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 02:54 on Aug 25, 2019

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Samuringa posted:

I am also coincidentally playing MGSV and I appreciate that the game lets you fumble through a mission if your carefully planned stealth goes awry. I stalk around, mark my targets, set a couple of C4 just in case, interrogate a couple of dummies to get more info but if everything still goes tits up, well, I hope none of you guys have good stats.

I think I made this exact post in Imp Zone when the game was still new, but the best sign of how good a game it is is that it’s just as fun when one of your careful plans goes wrong and you have to improvise your way out of a mess with all the tools at your disposal as it is when you pull your plan off perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

At the cost of your dignity you can use the chicken hat to beat missions, complete side-objectives, and finish side-ops. Getting an S-Rank is easily complimented with a load of options that don't limit your rank.

Then you have games like Red Dead II where every mission is linear without deviation, heavy curated, and with a poo poo-scoring system. You're not allowed to replay a mission for gold-medals using anything other than the weak default loadout.

Perhaps it would be better for some open-worlds not to break up the story into strict missions with rankings, since you then have missions like "Watch cutscene" or "Buy item from shop". Just look at this poo poo: https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Masks

The "buy item from shop" missions are specifically to make sure you know how to buy that item (or type of) from a shop.