Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Come join the Costco thread, it's a wonderful happy place where we sing the praises of Costco and argue about samples. PBUC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Orvin posted:

Is that a national commercial, or just a local Chicago commercial?

Definitely national. Here's a good version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEy_1dvBFYE

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I quote it to my wife annually and she is never impressed that it's ingrained in my brain.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

StormDrain posted:

I quote it to my wife annually and she is never impressed that it's ingrained in my brain.

:sever:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

StormDrain posted:

Same, except weekly over the summer.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

canyoneer posted:

Friendly reminder to shop around every now and again for home/auto insurance.

Someone I know, who is definitely not me, had the same policies for the last 6 years.
This person, a different person from me, went today to Costco's website on a whim and got an insurance quote from their affiliated insurance partner.
This person told me that he or she got identical coverage for a savings of $650/yr on his or her policies.
What a dope! He or she should have done that a long time ago!

Or join Trump's Space Force and be eligible for USAA.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Come join the Costco thread, it's a wonderful happy place where we sing the praises of Costco and argue about samples. PBUC.

Link please, I'm irrationally in love with Costco.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Link please, I'm irrationally in love with Costco.

Hah same, I had to track it down this morning.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797869

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also air conditioners are status symbols now. If you have a Carrier or Trane brand it shows you appreciate only the finest bought air.

Ours is a Carrier and it's old enough to go down to the liquor store and buy me a nice bottle of Scotch. I'm just really really hoping it doesn't go before we get another place (planning on living here another few years).

If it does go we're going to be here until the mortgage is paid off because dammit I'm going to get my money's worth.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Ebola Roulette posted:

Ours is a Carrier and it's old enough to go down to the liquor store and buy me a nice bottle of Scotch. I'm just really really hoping it doesn't go before we get another place (planning on living here another few years).

If it does go we're going to be here until the mortgage is paid off because dammit I'm going to get my money's worth.

I have a dual system of the Econo-shitbox brand variety, Goodman. Both are R22 systems and one has a leak at the evaporator. They are both 14 years old and on their last legs. So yeah, get to replace the whole unit for 410A. It boggles my mind because the house I grew up had a Bryant system from the 70's that was running fine when we sold the house in 2001.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DEMAG posted:

I have a dual system of the Econo-shitbox brand variety, Goodman. Both are R22 systems and one has a leak at the evaporator. They are both 14 years old and on their last legs. So yeah, get to replace the whole unit for 410A. It boggles my mind because the house I grew up had a Bryant system from the 70's that was running fine when we sold the house in 2001.

yeah but they didn't have global warming in the 70s

checkmate libs

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Oops, sorry I didn't link it! Welcome in though :cheers:

Costco can be very GWM but also BWM if you're not careful.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Oops, sorry I didn't link it! Welcome in though :cheers:

Costco can be very GWM but also BWM if you're not careful.

It's always GWL though. Even moreso that they treat their employees like humans with livable wages, benefits, positive work environment, etc.

I love Costco.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I saw this and thought of this thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Transfer all the BWM from weddings to BWM from the government trying to make people spend less on weddings.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The Ban Wedding Money Act of 2019

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Great, now I have to take out another loan for my wedding to cover the wedding taxes! I'll never be able to afford that 84 month lease on a horse now!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TraderStav posted:

It's always GWL though. Even moreso that they treat their employees like humans with livable wages, benefits, positive work environment, etc.

I love Costco.

All this is true BUT they also allow products produced with prison labor to be sold there

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

canyoneer posted:

All this is true BUT they also allow products produced with prison labor to be sold there

I didn't know that. Do you have any examples?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

TraderStav posted:

I didn't know that. Do you have any examples?

https://www.corpgov.net/2019/02/northstar-leads-prison-labor-fight-at-costco/

I mean, it's literally written into the US Constitution that slavery is OK as long as it's prisoners, so by default every US retailer is OK with prison labour unless it goes out of its way to not be. But yeah, Costco falls under this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

https://www.corpgov.net/2019/02/northstar-leads-prison-labor-fight-at-costco/

I mean, it's literally written into the US Constitution that slavery is OK as long as it's prisoners, so by default every US retailer is OK with prison labour unless it goes out of its way to not be. But yeah, Costco falls under this.

Oh, I didn't doubt that it was occurring it after you mentioned it, but do you know which items were sourced from it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

How to save money safely? Investing options? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 26 minutes ago by singlestogo

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/cujmcf/how_to_save_money_safely_investing_options/

quote:

I was having trouble paying for my college tuition. So At the beginning of this summer I started working with my uncle in HVAC. Basically I do a lot of the easy jobs, collect half the service charge and 1/3rd of anything I need help with, also he told me I can branch out and do as many jobs outside of an area I want at whatever I wanted to charge. My week I worked with him for free to get up to speed and I got sent out on my own to do jobs solo. My first day I made 350 dollars over the span of 6 hours, mainly because I kept having to go buy parts/tools/filters etc. By the end of the week I cleared over 2000usd. Then I started getting the hang of it, started carrying a bunch of equipment and basic replacement parts. I got really focused on working, this was the easiest money I had made in my life. I started getting more work, still doing the average 5 jobs a day at my cut of 70usd+ per. Most jobs took me maybe 10-15 minutes but it was all spread out. I started working on the side doing cash only work for people by word of mouth. Most jobs now I would be making 150+ for the same jobs on top of my old jobs. My average day I was clearing around 1000usd, except on big jobs I would sometimes clear more, one time I had a woman ask if I could change the seal on her toilet. In an hour I made 500 dollars and learned how to change the seal on a toilet. My entire point is that I've been using various people to buy stuff for me in my name. I purchased a small house, a truck and I already have my tuition paid for. How do I work out all this stuff on the taxes? I don't keep any records and have nothing in my name. I also would like to invest as I have been saving up a lot of cash just on hand as well. I've been thinking about buying gold anonymously at value and just slowly cashing it out over time as I'm able to spend more money and spread it around as to not raise red flags. How do I store all the excess money and invest more money than I can claim on paper?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Motronic posted:

How to save money safely? Investing options? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 26 minutes ago by singlestogo

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/cujmcf/how_to_save_money_safely_investing_options/

"How do I commit tax fraud? Also while working and unlicensed contractor how do I hide money?"

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

pentyne posted:

"How do I commit tax fraud? Also while working and unlicensed contractor how do I hide money?"

With a side of "does gold work for my money laundering?"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jesus christ, is he not a citizen or something? No SSN? It's all the downside of the drug trade with none of the upside.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Jesus christ, is he not a citizen or something? No SSN? It's all the downside of the drug trade with none of the upside.

If he doesn’t have an SSN he either has poo poo parents who are identity thefting him like crazy or is illegally working in the country.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Not sure if this is BWM but it's certainly BWM-adjacent:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/cuiv0r/aita_for_saying_im_the_working_poor/ (OP removed but comments available)

AITA for saying I'm the working poor?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

"Car payments" in San Francisco. While paying $3500 for a 1-bed, presumably. I mean, yes, he's getting screwed by SF CoL, but he's also not rent-burdened and can afford multiple car payments, so yeah, he's kind of the rear end in a top hat.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

22 Eargesplitten posted:

"Car payments" in San Francisco. While paying $3500 for a 1-bed, presumably. I mean, yes, he's getting screwed by SF CoL, but he's also not rent-burdened and can afford multiple car payments, so yeah, he's kind of the rear end in a top hat.

I believe the plural would be cars payment. He only has one car.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The most charitable version of this is that he truly does have a high COL but he's also trying to live the lifestyle of the people that make "300,000-400,000 a year".

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Not sure if this is BWM but it's certainly BWM-adjacent:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/cuiv0r/aita_for_saying_im_the_working_poor/ (OP removed but comments available)

AITA for saying I'm the working poor?

I clicked on that sub and read some posts. It is the most blatent stdh.txt circle jerk I've ever seen on reddit.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

honda whisperer posted:

I clicked on that sub and read some posts. It is the most blatent stdh.txt circle jerk I've ever seen on reddit.

Yeah, there are a lot of bad fakes. The post I linked is one of the less obvious ones in that regard.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

A random online tax calculator said that'd be ~$120k/year after taxes, so call it $10k/month. Seems like he'd be fine on $6.5/month after rent, even with a car payment.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Someone just sent me this and I’m pretty sure they are serious

I didn’t click but if anyone wants me to send them the details to get rich just let me know.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

A random online tax calculator said that'd be ~$120k/year after taxes, so call it $10k/month. Seems like he'd be fine on $6.5/month after rent, even with a car payment.

It sounds like a person from that story about the couple in NYC who make $500k per year and are complaining because they feel poor, while paying down luxury cars, maxing out all retirement savings, sending their kids to $25,000/year schools with violin lessons and going on 3 family vacations per year.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
All of that "I'm rich but I feel poor!" poo poo, including the story of the NYC couple, is sensationalist clickbait and/or stdh.txt trawling written to induce rage, keep people reading/commenting, and rack up ad dollars. It's not worth the time debating.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
One of my acquaintances from college recently started a FIRE blog and it's a real hoot reading it with the background knowledge of how much money her parents shower her with.

Not really BWM since it's always good to get a free house, food, child care, and health insurance, (plus free salmon from weekly trips on dad's fishing boat!) but i do get a laugh when the bootstraps / FIRE crowd are Lucille Bluth at heart

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

One of my acquaintances from college recently started a FIRE blog and it's a real hoot reading it with the background knowledge of how much money her parents shower her with.

Not really BWM since it's always good to get a free house, food, child care, and health insurance, (plus free salmon from weekly trips on dad's fishing boat!) but i do get a laugh when the bootstraps / FIRE crowd are Lucille Bluth at heart

I mean, I suppose it still counts as Financially Independent, Retire Early if the strategy is "live off mom & dad, save everything else, also use them as your emergency fund"....

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Ixian posted:

I mean, I suppose it still counts as Financially Independent, Retire Early if the strategy is "live off mom & dad, save everything else, also use them as your emergency fund"....

Oh but friend, her money in the bank is from her own job! Her parents simply gave her a little help along the way that taught her the importance of financial savvy

-a house on graduation day (spun as "good fortune buying at the bottom of the Seattle market in 2009)
-grandparents watch the kid 3 days a week, and take him to and from day care the other 2 days a week
-paid for her college, natch

Without all those pesky little expense traps that most people fall in to, she has been able to achieve a 50% savings rate, and YOU can too if you can just stop (reads blog)... Buying new clothes more than every 2 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I think she has it all figured out. All new boot ratchets, for the high class "boot strapper" in your life.