Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Laserjet 4P posted:

Sound Forge Pro 12 for $25 (13 is out and $399), and some years ago it was Sound Forge Pro 11 at $25 (with 12 out for $399).

They can't be getting rid of old stock since it's a download - so what exactly is the business plan here? Hope people upgrade?

Magix has done almost nothing to add new functionality to Sound Forge since they acquired it from Sony; every few years they add one feature, change the look of the buttons, and try to sell everyone an upgrade. I can't imagine that their overheads are very high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

really clean looking ER-1 for $120 on my local craigslist, should i get it

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Price is not bad if you're in the market.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

that's my secret... I'm always in the market...

I'm getting the reface too

should I get a four track tape machine? I'm really good with Logic and Ableton but I hate recording on a computer lately

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
If you can find one cheap for sure but unfortunately the hipster market has made them a hot commodity. Tascam has a very affordable 6-track digital recorder if you want it just for the workflow.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
get a reel-to-reel, the fidelity is way better and there are companies actually still making tape for them

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

EBB posted:

10+ years as a kineticist and I still don't know what bioinformatics does but I like robot farts :v:

I mean, you can make some pretty interesting robot farts from DNA sequence data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_music
http://algoart.com/music.htm

(That stuff is mostly using more harmonious mappings, but if you just want an interesting source of noise, you could do something like mapping every three-base combination to a tone and letting loose.)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

get a reel-to-reel, the fidelity is way better and there are companies actually still making tape for them

Open to this idea, I know all about portastudios but how do I get started learning reel to reel?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I got Magix versions of Sound Forge and Vegas as part of a Humble Bundle and both were awkard, umwieldy and seemed destined to try nickel and dime me.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been using Sound Forge since like the mid-90s and it still suits my needs super well, it's just that the software has not changed in any material way in literal decades and yet there's a $400 upgrade every few years.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Trig Discipline posted:

I've been using Sound Forge since like the mid-90s and it still suits my needs super well, it's just that the software has not changed in any material way in literal decades and yet there's a $400 upgrade every few years.

I'm mostly curious about what it can do that Audacity can't.

(Or a DAW, for that matter. Reaper is only like $60.)

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

A MIRACLE posted:

should I get a four track tape machine? I'm really good with Logic and Ableton but I hate recording on a computer lately

I went the digital recorder route - got a Zoom H6. It lets me do field recording as well, but I got tired of a long take ruined because suddenly an update or notification ate CPU for a second and replaced the audio in with modem shrieking. Either that or my MOTU interface was crap, but I decided to kill two birds with one stone by just going portable multitrack. Get the XLR attachment and you get six tracks in. Granted, not cheap but there's also cheaper options with the same result.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

yeah, i like zoom for the digital products. I think if I went that way I would get the Livetrack 12 channel. the R16 looks nice too but the mixer isn't as good as my current mixer so it would be redundant in some ways I think.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

My rep says the latest update from Behringer for shipping the 101 is in November.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

A MIRACLE posted:

Open to this idea, I know all about portastudios but how do I get started learning reel to reel?

It still blows my mind that Squarepushers Hard Normal Daddy was recorded on 8-track reel to reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgjtD8tXI_0

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

A MIRACLE posted:

I have a Tascam Portastudio 424 4-track tape recorder that I may be interested in selling. Shoot me a PM if that is something you are looking for.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Fors Yard posted:

It still blows my mind that Squarepushers Hard Normal Daddy was recorded on 8-track reel to reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgjtD8tXI_0

Man, that is rough. That sound tho.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The paragraphic eq in Soundforge is one of the best things ever. It's FM synthesis insert is also pretty good. Mr. Dick remembers using Audacity for a free online production course maybe 5 years ago and constantly thinking "this would be better/easier with Soundforge". That might be a matter of what he is accustomed to though as he's been using some variant of Soundforge for over 20 years.

Reaper has an "open in external editor" command for a reason.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Soundforge really took up what Bias' death put down. For the very regular sale prices on either JRR or humble bundle, it's worth the price of admission imo. They finally added vst3/ara support~

Mr. Glass posted:

Who's left? BASF gave up on it I thought.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

What am I looking for in a tape(s) and recorder? I tried to get started a couple years ago but my free tascam suffered a shipping accident and I said gently caress it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I haven't played around in Audacity so I really don't know. Sound Forge's real niche is being a very feature-rich and usable stereo editor, although it looks like they've started moving more and more towards some multitrack capabilities. Basically I use Sound Forge when I want to actually edit audio, rather than compose a song. IDK if you happen to have seen any of the sampling projects I've done, like this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Any38uNUelM

or this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGYeTmHHZQM

But all of the sample extraction and manipulation bits of those were done in Sound Forge. Actual arrangement and music were done elsewhere, but Sound Forge's interface and shortcuts for manipulating and extracting audio just make it my go-to for any time I want to get down and dirty with one specific wave file.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Startyde posted:

Who's left? BASF gave up on it I thought.

Recording the Masters, formerly RMGI, i believe this is a french company that bought a BASF factory after they stopped producing audio tape. it looks like they started producing cassettes (relatively) recently too!
ATR

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Mr. Glass posted:

Recording the Masters, formerly RMGI, i believe this is a french company that bought a BASF factory after they stopped producing audio tape. it looks like they started producing cassettes (relatively) recently too!
ATR

Holy gently caress you just made my week ATR even does lubricated tape delay tape :stoked:

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I hope this doesn't violate any rules, but I figure this stuff is rather niche, and it's going for a good cause...

Some other local synthhead/gear junkies in the area and myself put together a short comp to raise money for KIND (Kids In Need of Defense, https://supportkind.org/), which is a group that provides legal support and other assistance for migrant children. It's mostly ambient/drone/minimal kind of stuff that you can put on and feel good because you know it went to a good cause!

My track is the first one, and personally I feel it's the only thing I've made in this style that I've liked.

https://wolvesproductions.bandcamp.com/album/kind-benefit

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

That feeling when, as a synth noob, you unintentionally recreate the Chariots of Fire theme... :aaa:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I keep unintentionally playing Loved by the Sun by Tangerine Dream and it keeps weirding me out so much. Like someone keeps possessing me because it sounds so good, and I love it so much.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

So my behringer vc340 came in yesterday and besides sounding loving incredible, I can’t seem to get the ext synth in to work. Anyone know the trick? It’s picking up something because the mic level lights are working...

Update: turns out you plug your external synth into the vocoder section on the back, not the ext synth in jack. :ms:

A fine entry into my ‘thought my poo poo was broken but it turns out I just didn’t know wtf I was doing’ log. Another notable example was when I thought the pulse wave on my arp odyssey was busted, but it turns out I just didnt have the pulse wave switch flipped. Hell yeah.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Would anyone be interested in another BonerJamz? Maybe one with a cause?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Yeah! I haven't made anything in too long.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm down again.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sure, I'll jam a boner.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
only if I can jam my girlboner in the mix

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be a sample based BJ after the last one?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

osker posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be a sample based BJ after the last one?

I think it died? Idk, I'm not bugging I know I started and abandoned the one that eventually became the one from last Spring.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

How about one that goes to animal rescues that uses animal samples?

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Electric Bugaloo posted:

BonerPAC

Mr. Dick might be down. That would give him a reason to set aside such trivialities as reading, child raising and video games and to focus on what really matters: synthesizers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
One...two...three...four, I declare a BonerJam

:pcgaming: BonerJamz Volume 3 :pcgaming:

This time, the prompt is:

In the effort to get me off my rear end wrt music, and also cross-promote the hot new D&D thread that all the cool kids currently avoidlove, we're getting downright political with this challenge. Do whatever the prompt means to you, be it lyrically, what samples you choose, or just where you're head's at while composing.

The term of this challenge goes until September 30th, at 11:59 PM EST

This coincides with the First GOONPAC Challenge ending at the same time, and gives us a little more time. At the end of the challenge term, I'll put the album up on Bandcamp or somesuch service (for real this time, I swear. In my defense I was literally deathly ill then).

:siren: Also- if y'all are interested I'd love to put this one up for donations to a political (or animal rescue) charity of everyone's choice. Then I'll put the album up in the GOONPAC thread as well. Does Bandcamp (or a similar site) let you do anything like that automatically? Like set up a button so all donations are automatically sent to the charity/group of your choice? I know people were donating to the ACLU through them a few years back.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
lol, a comp after my own heart 💜

(all the music I do anymore is political protest music)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
aw yeh i'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh dang yeah, count me in.