Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DancinBrud posted:

Feels like a stretch, but who knows. That Twin Suns duel is so good. Probably a top 3 all-time lightsaber fight, in my opinion.

It's the best duel in the entire saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Obi Wan was trying to avoid the fight entirely, until Maul threatened Luke. Even after Maul got utterly clowned, Obi Wan tried to console him as Maul shuffled off this mortal coil. He was every bit the Jedi master we’d always heard of, but never really saw.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Maul, stuck in the past, is easily duped into thinking he can use the exact same move he killed Qui-Gon with. Man it’s just so good.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

DancinBrud posted:

Feels like a stretch, but who knows. That Twin Suns duel is so good. Probably a top 3 all-time lightsaber fight, in my opinion.

It certainly feels the most samurai-y, and those two things are probably not coincidental.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm not sure I'd want every lightsaber fight to be a Sanjuro-style "two flashing cuts and it's over" event, but it certainly worked for Twin Suns.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

teagone posted:

It's the best duel in the entire saga.

You know what?

You’re goddamn right.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm not sure I'd want every lightsaber fight to be a Sanjuro-style "two flashing cuts and it's over" event, but it certainly worked for Twin Suns.

It wouldn't work for every fight because there's a lot more going on between Maul and Obi-Wan than just clashing sabers. It's a clash of symbols, of how far each of them has journeyed towards opposite ends of morality, only to meet once more at what is simultaneously the end and beginning of all things that have shaped and will shape the galaxy. Like, Obi-Wan baiting Maul into using the strike he killed Qui-Gon with by shifting his stance is great, and that's just surface level stuff; it's crazy satisfying for fans. The whole thing is an insane pinnacle characterization moment that's 100% effective because of just how much history and knowledge fuels the underbelly of it. There's almost no other duel that matches that kind of narrative weightiness imo.

[edit]

vvv I can't relate to anyone who would willingly dismiss one of the greatest character moments in any kind of story. Imagine not being able to appreciate what makes the Twin Suns duel so good...like, gently caress man lol. I wish those people could see it the way I do. Shame.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 17, 2019

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

There are many people that think the Twin Suns duel is shity and unsatisfying. But I mean, of course they do, they're Star Wars fans.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Prob same people who think this was the best:

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

it's quite good (the Rebels Kenobi/Maul duel) but the animation of the movement isn't quite good enough for me to count it as one of the best fights. hopefully the Ray Park mo-cap for the new Clone Wars show will result in some more interesting CG choreography.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vintersorg posted:

Lightsabers work on wrestling physics, the more you do before the final move, the more powerful it is.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

Add in some strike flares and sounds of lightsabers clashing and suddenly it's much better than two grown men dancing with glowsticks

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vintersorg posted:

In fairness this owns.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1164885613637586945?s=21

Trailer dropping this afternoon/evening, depending on your timezone.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I watched Ep 1 the other night and the Kenobi/Maul duel once Qui-Gon dies is very good, too.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

It holds up very well. I think a big part of it is the camerawork. There’s no shaky-cam or frenetic cuts/editing, so you actually get to see the actors doing all the cool moves. Really helps that Ewan McGregor was able to perform to such a high degree.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Clone Wars coming in February:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1165054385669279744

EDIT: And here's The Mandalorian trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOC8E8z_ifw

EDIT EDIT:

OBI-WAN'S BACK BABY

https://twitter.com/infinitarisus/status/1165059109348995073

Tomtrek fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 24, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Kenobi coming to Disney+ (eventually). Production starts next year.

F I N A L L Y :allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

gently caress, my heart skipped a beat glancing at that thumbnail. I thought it was live-action Ahsoka lmao.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

mandalorian trailer owns

ahsoka v maul owns

obi owns

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Agreed.

Really appreciating the decision to keep the titular Mandalorian silent and unknown for the pre-release marketing machine.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Mandalorian trailer owned. Haven't been following the Obi-Wan show at all, but it sounds like I should? And I really need to finish Rebels and watch Clone Wars.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

IIRC the first season-ish of Clone Wars is kind of hit or miss. The episodes are also not in chronological order, so when you think “this guy died in an earlier episode!” you’re probably not wrong :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PunkBoy posted:

Mandalorian trailer owned. Haven't been following the Obi-Wan show at all, but it sounds like I should? And I really need to finish Rebels and watch Clone Wars.

The obi-wan show was only announced about 2 hours ago, so there's not really any news on it yet

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

jivjov posted:

The obi-wan show was only announced about 2 hours ago, so there's not really any news on it yet

Oh welp, that makes things easier!

Icon Of Sin posted:

IIRC the first season-ish of Clone Wars is kind of hit or miss. The episodes are also not in chronological order, so when you think “this guy died in an earlier episode!” you’re probably not wrong :v:

Good to know! I've always been more of a fan of the Rebellion era than Clone Wars, but I hear so many good things about Ahsoka so I want to see what her deal is.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, that was a dope-looking teaser. Not surprised to hear that the cinematographer worked on Rogue One as the 2nd unit director of photography.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i need more ahsoka poo poo

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

Good to know! I've always been more of a fan of the Rebellion era than Clone Wars, but I hear so many good things about Ahsoka so I want to see what her deal is.

Her deal is going from Jar-Jar II to best character in the course of about three years. It was the damndest thing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yeah. That Mandalorian trailer looks really good. It's a very well cut trailer chock full of good stuff. November 12th just got a lot further away, I want to watch it now!!!!

YouTube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOC8E8z_ifw

e.

PunkBoy posted:

Then you're gonna want to watch Rebels all the way through.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
apparently chuds on reddit already getting pissy that mandalorian has more than 1 black person in the trailer

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kanine posted:

apparently chuds on reddit already getting pissy that mandalorian has more than 1 black person in the trailer

Chuds gonna chud

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
gently caress anyone who thinks poo poo like that.

I love how it looks like a Spaghetti Western.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

gently caress anyone who thinks poo poo like that.

I love how it looks like a Spaghetti Western.

Fav finally gets his perfect space western

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pretty excited for Ahsoka vs. Maul - goddamn, need me some more Clone Wars!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Mandalorian looks even better than I had hoped, sounds like they have all the right people working on it too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
IG-88 hype!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Rocksicles posted:

IG-88 hype!

IG-11 :v:

(Voiced by Taika Waititi!)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerkface posted:

IG-11 :v:

(Voiced by Taika Waititi!)

Close enough, Taika bonus points.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

PunkBoy posted:

Ahsoka kicks so much rear end in Rebels and Clone Wars; she's easily one of the best characters in the whole saga imo. Her arc across both series carries so much impact and ends in a way that is genuinely and wholly affecting. She's a little grating until her costume change, which doesn't happen until season 3 episode 10, so it's a bit of a wait to get really invested in her character I think, but her story is worth it. I also think most will agree that, in general, when Ahsoka dons her new look, that's the moment when the series steps up its game and gets really, really good.

[edit] Checked to make sure, and I was right about which episode it was where Ahsoka gets her new look.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If youre watching for ahsoka you gotta start at the beginning with the clone wars movie