Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Holy poo poo what is that super stripped down AK-47? it's still got the wood furniture!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

stupid pigs SKS isn't an assault rifle REEEEEEEEEEE

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Gun control is fine, it's just that the laws that tend to get passed are completely ineffective gun control laws that don't do anything aside from inconvenience a gun owner.

I'm sure that if you've any interest in gun legislation, you already understand this, but for those who do not, I will merely note that for the purposes of the law in California, that this:

is legally considered an "Assault Weapon", but this:

is not, because the current laws were written out of fear of "black rifles" and how they didn't look like grandpappy's rifle, so what they banned were the bits that made grandpappy's rifle look like the big bad mean black rifle.

Well, my grandfather died in the Vietnam War. He was a South Vietnamese police officer, and if he'd lived long enough, an M16 might very well *have been* grandpappy's rifle.

Does it make me a centrist if I say, "Yes, I want gun legislation, but I want gun legislation that actually means and does something"?

SwissArmyDruid has issued a correction as of 02:44 on Aug 24, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i bet if they made it illegal to be white in america, only black people would get arrested for it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Another situation that the previous "banning of assault rifle feature" leads to.

These are the exact same gun. They are made by the exact same manufacturer, probably even from the exact same factory, utilize the exact same mechanism, they use the same ammunition, and the parts are 100% interchangable, but one is an "assault weapon" and the other is not. I want loving gun control laws, but I want ones that AREN'T CRAP. What laws we have now are the equivalent of telling a suicide bomber that it is illegal for them to wear a trenchcoat and facemask when suicide bombing. The trenchcoat and facemask ban isn't making the suicide vest any less lethal!

Frankly, I am overjoyed with every bit of news that the NRA is collapsing from the inside-out under the weight of its own grift. Maybe now we can get some laws that aren't driven by fear from the left, and that the right can't point at and go, "look how poo poo these laws are, they're coming for your guns rabble rabble rabble" while we build out our schools like COD maps.

SwissArmyDruid has issued a correction as of 02:52 on Aug 24, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Krankenstyle posted:

i bet if they made it illegal to be white in america, only black people would get arrested for it

all our laws are essentially going to favor hurting black people. Outside some very specific laws most of em has nothing to do with the law itself.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Your insanely privileged if you really believe gun control laws are enforced equally lol. Or basically any law in the US.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CharlestheHammer posted:

all our laws are essentially going to favor hurting black people. Outside some very specific laws most of em has nothing to do with the law itself.

why are you saying what i already said, but less pithy

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
can we have more gun minutiae chat plz

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

A Russian troll farm posted:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I support gun ownership but only if they're used to butcher the rich en masse, and then only after weeks of harrowing torture where they see everything they love and worship stripped down and redistributed to the poor, neglected masses they exploited for profit.

Sensible gun control means keeping your aim true when aiming for the black and withered heart of another soulless financial vampire.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Is that a tacticool'd m14? Wtf

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The barrier to gun control in the US is almost 250 years of rugged individualism and the fact that the country was founded by the people who we're taught were religious refugees, but in reality were the assholes who sought out a new continent because nobody in Western Europe would put up with them. Add in the idiotic idea of rugged individualism and you end up with a country with more guns than people, belonging to the people who would make a point of making it a bloodbath if anyone tried to take their guns.

If you want to get rid of the US gun violence problem, you have to address the reality that the fantasy of the rugged individualist standing his ground will emerge a victor or a martyr, and the way to do that is to address income inequality and meet basic needs rather than writing a list of things people aren't allowed to have. We can talk about revolution and post-capitalism all we want, but if we become a civilized country everyone can live a decent life just by virtue of being alive and nobody has to consider a gun the difference between life and death (unless confronted with 30-50 feral hogs), I'll keep my guns until the right wing nutjobs aren't the only ones who have them.

Beyond that, it's either a total ban on semiautomatic guns or mandatory rate-of-fire limitations that can be bypassed as soon as you drill a hole in an AK or say "Lightning Link" and 3D print or CNC machine your own M16 fire control group.

got any sevens posted:

how can you tell
Once they started getting suspicious they tried to discreetly measure, but it became obvious after the third or fourth time they had to lower the bar.

Cowpocalypse posted:

also I have to wonder what the psychological impact of training kids to get shot at will be in the long-term
Correlation of active shooter drills and PTSD diagnoses will be tighter than leaded gas/violent crime once someone gets around to study it.

Dec 26, 2012

A Russian troll farm posted:

glad someone else got to it first

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Another situation that the previous "banning of assault rifle feature" leads to.

These are the exact same gun. They are made by the exact same manufacturer, probably even from the exact same factory, utilize the exact same mechanism, they use the same ammunition, and the parts are 100% interchangable, but one is an "assault weapon" and the other is not. I want loving gun control laws, but I want ones that AREN'T CRAP. What laws we have now are the equivalent of telling a suicide bomber that it is illegal for them to wear a trenchcoat and facemask when suicide bombing. The trenchcoat and facemask ban isn't making the suicide vest any less lethal!

Frankly, I am overjoyed with every bit of news that the NRA is collapsing from the inside-out under the weight of its own grift. Maybe now we can get some laws that aren't driven by fear from the left, and that the right can't point at and go, "look how poo poo these laws are, they're coming for your guns rabble rabble rabble" while we build out our schools like COD maps.

arent a lot of shootings just handguns anyway

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

total ban on all semiautomatic guns full stop.

every citizen upon turning 25 can take a govt safety and competency test and upon passing are given a free single action revolver that can be kept in their home

after a more advanced exam (including proving justification for ownership) you’re given a bolt-action rifle (turn-bolt only) and/or break-action shotgun

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Pistol grips might be a fine distinction but they sure seem useful when rapidly firing a gun i.e. something that is more attractive to a rampage shooter than a sport shooter.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

redsniper posted:

Is that a tacticool'd m14? Wtf

From. The. Factory. On Ruger's website and everything.

Dmitri-9 posted:

Pistol grips might be a fine distinction but they sure seem useful when rapidly firing a gun i.e. something that is more attractive to a rampage shooter than a sport shooter.

You say that, but as it turns out, humans have been building guns really stupidly until the last hundred years or so. Both as a combination of crusty old generals in charge of procurement who invariably, over the course of hundreds of years of firearms history, either 1) reject the new in favor of clinging to what they know and understand, or 2) gear their armies for the war that they just finished fighting. (I would like to leave you with one such example, courtesy of Ian and Karl of InrangeTV, where they do some speculating about how Americans got their asses kicked repeatedly by fielding the wrong gun after the civil war: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOtW76itFtU)

Turns out, the way you hold "grandpappy's rifle"? Not actually very ergonomic. There's a very clear line in human history, in the post-WW2 era, where scientists and engineers and designers started taking into account ergonomics and biomechanics when designing things. Is it any less surprising to know that weapons designers started doing the same as well?

Anyways, somebody hurry up and post some new and weird lovely cyberpunk dystopia thing so we can get off guns, before we catch a ban or some poo poo.

SwissArmyDruid has issued a correction as of 07:11 on Aug 24, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Conventional stocks made a lot of sense when guns were:

1. Made out of wood

2. Very long

3. Used in ranks

4. Equipped with bayonets

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Mandatory carry for women, summary execution for men for touching a gun.

Anyway, William Gibson signed my Kindle.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a complete handgun ban would probably be pretty effective but I'm willing to bet thered be less people dead from guns overall if you just banned cops from having firearms no matter what. it's not like heat style shootouts are happening all the time.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Every day I'm a bit low-key surprised that many everyday things haven't yet become futuristic. Cell phones, computers and the internet caused things to change bigly. Consider the following inventions that have become more efficient, but haven't noticeably changed their importance in society over the last several decades.

Cars
Guns
Airplanes
Kitchen Appliances
etc.

With the amount of Star Wars media alone that the earth consumes I would have really expected to see some wanna-be lightsabers, laser pistols, and hover-car attempts by now. Something like a flechette pistol or gyro-jet gun seem like small and achievable steps forward. But no, the M1911, M14, and 4-wheeled gas burning automobile have stood the test of time and resisted major improvements. Perhaps these designs are "good enough" and the simplicity/reliability make them perennial winners. I can't imagine gun people not wanting to buy a new super-lethal .05mm exploding-shot 1,000 round magazine though, especially if it is AR-15 pattern compatible. Maybe current gun regulation really does do something by freezing technological gun progress? Or have we run out of thirst for innovation and are instead solely concerned with seeking profit, even with the might of the military industrial complex driving vehicle and weapon research?

e: Drone warfare is pretty crazy, I'll give you that. If we transition to robot warriors fighting each other then I will consider the world sufficiently cyberpunk. Until major nations decide to fight each other it will continue to be a sideshow of novelties to bomb poor people though, not the serious WW2 level of development that changes the world.

Asimov has issued a correction as of 08:24 on Aug 24, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's mostly that it takes up a lot of energy and work to get a laser to work and it can be scattered by sand or dust and by air particles, and it runs insanely hot. At that point you might as well just use a bullet.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Larry Parrish posted:

a complete handgun ban would probably be pretty effective but I'm willing to bet thered be less people dead from guns overall if you just banned cops from having firearms no matter what. it's not like heat style shootouts are happening all the time.

I was listening to a NPR panel earlier today talking about swatting and one of the panelists suggested that maybe the real problem is that we have a lot of trained paramiltary units ready to execute people the moment they walk through the door

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

redleader posted:

Asimov posted:

M14 […] have stood the test of time and resisted major improvements

Must… resist…

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

If we had nothing but M14 we wouldn't be losing Afghanistan :smuggo:

Sorry for the gun chat, I don't actually know much about them but it seems weird that old 1960 firearms are nearly as good as new ones, whereas computer tech now is millions of times superior to 1960s/70s models. Where's the auto-aim? All soldiers today have grown up with videogames and they must be disappointed. Laser guns are stupid but there must be room for improvement. Hopefully not though since it would lead to worse shootings!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Autoaims exists but as long as the human nervous system remains beyond the control of computers, it’s not very useful in infantry weapons.

It is used in turret‐mounted chainguns like those used to protect ships from missiles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrre7STy5Pw

Or used to protect borders from trespassers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa08Gbn6iqs

Here is a sniper rifle with computer assistance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDAcdRXu27I

It cannot aim itself, but it can help the shooter take into account environmental factors and select an aiming point and it can help fire the gun at just the right time.

So that one is a triggerbot, not an aimbot.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Asimov posted:

Every day I'm a bit low-key surprised that many everyday things haven't yet become futuristic. Cell phones, computers and the internet caused things to change bigly. Consider the following inventions that have become more efficient, but haven't noticeably changed their importance in society over the last several decades.

Cars
Guns
Airplanes
Kitchen Appliances
etc.

I might be easily amazed, but I think the 2018 Nissan Leaf qualifies as impressive, though I was upgrading from a 2007 VW Polo.

No gasoline whatsoever, yet enough range to take me anywhere I normally drive
Adaptive cruise control that slows the car when detecting vehicles ahead
Blind spot warning lights and sounds to avoid merging into someone
HD rear camera with steering lines that reflect the direction (and an upgrade package that gives full 360 degree coverage we didn't buy)
heated seats and steering wheel
climate control set by temperature
collision detection with braking assistance
ridiculous acceleration, like motorcycle levels of oomph
PSI of all 4 wheels displayed on the dash
timer for charging to grab electricity when cheapest
bluetooth for phone connectivity
rain sensors to control wiper speed
keyless entry and push to start (I don't even touch my key anymore, just keep it in a jacket pocket and forget about it)
App based control of the car (I can see the charge percentage, or even start up the climate control or charging from my phone)

I know lots of those things have been around for a while, but upgrading from 2007 gas tech to 2018 EV really felt like a huge leap in terms of what the vehicle can do, and the convenience factor.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

the 360 degree parking camera is the first thing to make me go "holy poo poo, how is this possible?" in years, or possibly ever. you hosed up by not getting it

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Krankenstyle posted:

I generally consider the “darn white people” jokes to be like the leftist goon version of making really bad puns or song parodies, but this one made my withered heart pump once in approval.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

redleader posted:

the 360 degree parking camera is the first thing to make me go "holy poo poo, how is this possible?" in years, or possibly ever. you hosed up by not getting it

It's a cool feature, but we bought the cheapest model available in Iceland. It was a large expense to go up a trim level, and bougie as it is, we'd been saving to pay in a lump sum and the base model was what we can afford. I'm sure it's nicer, but I've had the car for almost half a year and not hit anything yet.

It did make me go, HOW DO THEY DO THAT?!! when I first saw it though, just crazy.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

It did make me go, HOW DO THEY DO THAT?!! when I first saw it though, just crazy.

this feeling - of technology inspiring feelings of shock, of wonder, perhaps of awe - is very not on topic for the cyberpunk thread. technology should never inspire - its purpose is to be the merciless boot that grinds the very soul of humanity into dust

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

redleader posted:

more like redloader

Dec 26, 2012

Asimov posted:

Cars
Guns
Airplanes
Kitchen Appliances
etc.

With the amount of Star Wars media alone that the earth consumes I would have really expected to see some wanna-be lightsabers, laser pistols, and hover-car attempts by now. Something like a flechette pistol or gyro-jet gun seem like small and achievable steps forward. But no, the M1911, M14, and 4-wheeled gas burning automobile have stood the test of time and resisted major improvements. Perhaps these designs are "good enough" and the simplicity/reliability make them perennial winners. I can't imagine gun people not wanting to buy a new super-lethal .05mm exploding-shot 1,000 round magazine though, especially if it is AR-15 pattern compatible. Maybe current gun regulation really does do something by freezing technological gun progress? Or have we run out of thirst for innovation and are instead solely concerned with seeking profit, even with the might of the military industrial complex driving vehicle and weapon research?

e: Drone warfare is pretty crazy, I'll give you that. If we transition to robot warriors fighting each other then I will consider the world sufficiently cyberpunk. Until major nations decide to fight each other it will continue to be a sideshow of novelties to bomb poor people though, not the serious WW2 level of development that changes the world.

as you alluded to after a certain point there's only so dead you can kill a person and it's not worth the cost to retool everything/re-equip everyone for not much improvement. if and when body armor improves we'll see what happens and such

also there is an ongoing attempt to get directed energy stuff going but practically speaking that's not going to be a sidearm-style thing

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

01011001 posted:

after a certain point there's only so dead you can kill a person

that's not very cyberpunk :colbert:

Dec 26, 2012

it's the lovely cyberpunk where there arent any cool guns or sweet augs but privacy doesnt exist

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
We talking guns and the second amendment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHOXakHMxkc

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

https://twitter.com/JasonThorne_RPP/status/1164493312948101120?s=20

crossposted. turning our schools into a gear of war multiplayer map

"now son, in the event of an active shooter just push A to get into cover till your health regenerates"

A friend suggested US schools should just put guns in glass cabinets, just like fire extinguishers. That way in the event of a shooting Good Guys will be able to get a gun and fight back even when they're not currently carrying one.

At this point I wouldn't be too shocked if someone argued for this for real.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I think this is actually not lovely but I dunno where to post it

https://twitter.com/CatkinsLap/status/1165039403464560640?s=19

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

Your insanely privileged if you really believe gun control laws are enforced equally lol. Or basically any law in the US.

case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6jzzh-FZgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

got any sevens posted:

tennis isnt a real sport, 90% of it is serves hitting the net

its only good when they keep a volley going for a while, which is why volleyball is the superior court sport

tbf if tennis on the sports channels was mostly played by squads of beautiful lesbians in string bikinis it would prob be on an equal level with volleyball.