Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I really enjoy the atmosphere and the tone of the game, it's got a brighter palette than Dark Souls but it's still got a similar bleakness. I keep getting Secret World vibes as I play, from the title theme to some of the audio cues. That little sting you get when a tough monster shows up is perfect sound design.

Hoping the multiplayer matchmaking smooths out a bit though, I haven't had much luck with it so far. I've played for a few hours now and only had a single person connect to my game, and they dropped out again before I could even decide whether to go back to my last checkpoint for the summon or continue to the next one. Joining a public game was real fun because I got dropped in with two people at the same stage of the game as me but I don't know if it ended up overlevelling me or what, because every time I join a public game now it connects me with somebody in what is clearly a later chapter of the game so I've ended up with minor spoilers including a boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Earth sections remind me of Nether, which was a horrible game for many reasons but at least had a good aesthetic.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Protocol7 posted:

Can I kill the dude who drops Ruin after I already talked to him and accepted his quest?

Yes as long as you don't give him the quest item at the end.

It's a tough fight solo but very manageable in +10 gear (this seems to be one of the zones that has a hard scaling minimum and it's higher than +10). Certain mods/weapons are extremely helpful here if you have them.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just heard about this game. As a Dark Souls vet who probably likes shooting things more than slashing them, should I be interested?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My friend and I marathonned through this game in the 3 days after it came out. I have 20 hours played (includes at least an hour or two of afk time) and in that 20 hours we beat the game once, made it halfway through a second playthrough on a higher difficulty, unlocked almost every weapon/armor (the only ones I'm missing that I know of are the flamethrower and some blue&white set of sci-fi armor I saw someone wearing), and unlocked 35/40 achievements.We did this all blind with no guides or looking at wikis or anything like that so I guess my point being there's not a whole lot of stuff unless it's just hidden really well.

I had a lot of fun and really like the game and am still playing it but I'm a little disappointed by how little content there is - a lot of it is hidden in cool ways (like the melee weapon you have to pull off of a boss's back after staggering him). The campaign was over before I knew it and then it was jarring that the game didn't even really acknowledge that I beat the game and saved everyone outside of a couple NPCs saying "Ah, you did it. Cool, thanks man!" and then I restarted on a higher difficulty with no in-universe lore reason.

Game's good either way!

Fair warning for anyone joining multiplayer sessions: The game can stick you literally anywhere. I saw the final boss before I ever got past the desert zone because I joined a random session in the middle of fighting him and it spoiled everything with the "FINAL BATTLE" quest text on my screen.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 23, 2019

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

codo27 posted:

I just heard about this game. As a Dark Souls vet who probably likes shooting things more than slashing them, should I be interested?

Probably depends on what you like about Dark Souls. It's pretty different, though it does very obviously borrow several of it's mechanics. There's a bonfire equivalent with the same enemy respawn mechanic, an estus equivalent, a dodge roll, and you upgrade your equipment in a similar way.

There isn't one big open and connected world like Dark Souls, and your world is at least partially randomized when you create your character, so you could end up fighting different minibosses /bosses from your friends or if you start a new game. Enemies aren't in fixed locations and sometimes will spawn in dynamically. There's still a big focus on stamina management and resource conservation, in the form of ammunition for your guns, which also replenishes when you rest. I've found the gunplay to be real satisfying, but haven't seen much variety in equipment yet.

It borrows liberally from the DS games but isn't slavishly devoted to it, it works for me.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Fair warning for anyone joining multiplayer sessions: The game can stick you literally anywhere. I saw the final boss before I ever got past the desert zone because I joined a random session in the middle of fighting him and it spoiled everything with the "FINAL BATTLE" quest text on my screen.

Haven't run into the final boss yet, but all my multiplayer sessions so far did throw me into worlds I hadn't gotten to in my personal progression yet. Wonder how it decides who to match you with; I know it supposedly scales monsters off of the highest average equipment level, so I'm curious if it uses that to decide who to match you with or if it's absolutely random. The thing that makes me suspect it's random is that all my gear is only the starting equipment at +5, but it's put me into some of the later worlds.

VoidTek fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 23, 2019

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's basically "what if you actually die or fail occasionally?" rather than a slavish DS clone

Coop is real fun, it's basically a cool loot shoot game with a limited lifespan due to the amount of content

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Since I kept hearing that it was Dark Souls With Guns, I hooked my gamepad up before running it for the first time. Spent a while grumbling to myself over the controls and puzzled by the lack of a lock-on, until I just laughed at myself and switched to mouse and keyboard. So anybody expecting literal Dark Souls will probably be in for a surprise because it's a literal third person shooter.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The way the campaign reroll menu is structured gives me a lot of hope for future expansions/DLCs adding more content but it really depends how much they add. If it's $15 for the equivalent of one more sector/world added that would pretty underwhelming but a $20-30 expansion that added an entirely new campaign as long as or longer than the main one would be a day-one purchase for me even if they released a new one each year

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I would like something like rifts in diablo 3 but they would need to restructure gear for something like that to be really fun.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I wish that the boss fights weren't just 2-3 mechanics and an endless stream of trash adds to bog you down.

also, the Undying King is loving bullshit

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
Can you reset each world independently or do you have to reset the entire campaign?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tequila posted:

Can you reset each world independently or do you have to reset the entire campaign?

At the moment it's the entire campaign, but they are working on a (free, eventual) Adventure mode to do them individually.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this game really would hugely benefit from dlc and part of that is just that i'd love to see this game with easily 3x the amount of gear. not that it's lacking to a critical degree right now, but i think it's just on the edge of potentially not being enough.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
This game is real good and it’s had an amazing launch for a $40 AA title which is refreshing in 2019 but the potential of this game is so huge.

Even if I don’t like some things about it I’m happy to have bought it because games like this deserve to be successful.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Been playing this for an hour or so and I've got real difficulty getting into the right rhythm. Playing it like a Souls game doesn't work but trying to play it like a regular shooter also doesn't really work. I've been getting some good result so far trying to treat this like Resident Evil 4 - don't move a lot, use shot to stagger, that kind of thing.

What's everyone's take on that so far?

What does any of this mean

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If I'm playing this as a duo/trio, should we each be different archetypes? Does that become a factor with the difficulty scaling?

Also is that something you're locked into that we should decide ahead of time

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If I'm playing this as a duo/trio, should we each be different archetypes? Does that become a factor with the difficulty scaling?

Also is that something you're locked into that we should decide ahead of time

the archetypes are basically dark souls classes, which means they are utterly meaningless after the first couple areas

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
yeah the archetypes are only your starting equipment and the initial distribution of your traits. you'll be swimming in trait points soon enough and you can buy the other archetype equipment in the hub if for some reason you're a dope that wants to wear something other than the cultist outfit.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
hey now, the drifter outfit was nice with the cultist hat until I got the akari outfit to wear with the cultist hat

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The Archetypes do actually come with 1 different trait each. If you wanna go heavy on the melee weapon, start as a scrapper. If you wanna go heavy on the spellcasting, start as a cultist. Don't start as a Hunter, cause their starting trait sucks and everything else the Archetypes give you, you can literally buy from the base vendors the moment you get access to them.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The traits come from dungeons as well, though that is more random to ensure getting them.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

DatonKallandor posted:

The Archetypes do actually come with 1 different trait each. If you wanna go heavy on the melee weapon, start as a scrapper. If you wanna go heavy on the spellcasting, start as a cultist. Don't start as a Hunter, cause their starting trait sucks and everything else the Archetypes give you, you can literally buy from the base vendors the moment you get access to them.

Also don't start as scrapper, because melee is bad

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The hammer is fun but you can just buy one.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Did a run with a friend, ended up with a 3:21 time. A lot of this was spent on fighting bosses we hadn't fought, and explaining the final boss to my friend.

Also the undying king.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
The ent hammer is really good. If you get the 20% melee attack speed ring it is amazing.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got a sick nasty flaming sword from Singed. I deliberately wanted to avoid cutting his tail off cos I wanted the SMG but the random dude who joined my game was hell-bent on getting that sword. Shame melee is rear end in this game and using the sword is actively detrimental compared to blasting poo poo from 50 yards away with my pistol.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Melee is great you just gotta be really careful with your swing timing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DatonKallandor posted:

Melee is great you just gotta be really careful with your swing timing.

You also have to commit to it. Melee traits, melee gearing, and preferably melee mods like shield of thorns and lightning blink are mandatory, and it obviously doesn't work on 100% of bosses. It shines in coop, though; a melee guy whaling on a boss with max attack speed and a melee gearset is probably the highest DPS possible in the game because of how insanely fast you can attack and how powerful some of the melee damage effects you can get are.

Melee as a noncommital holdout option is terrible and not worth your time, but committing your build to melee and utilizing it as your big boy DPS is quite possible once you put the pieces together.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
This game needs a bestiary real bad. There's so many enemies and sub-varieties it would be great to keep track of them. Also elemental weaknesses and strengths.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I asked this before but since I couldn´t see any answer I´ll try again. Do any goons own the PS4 version of this game and is it a decent port? I was thinking about getting it for my PC first but the nonexistant cheat prevention kind of made me rethink that.

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 24, 2019

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Even if you don't spec for melee it's still great against mooks.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Final boss is really mean when you're playing solo and your only +15 weapon is a sniper rifle that's just not efficient for the second phase. Going to have to grind up a better weapon (and a lot of consumables) to beat this thing. Some part of me is tempted to re-roll the world without beating it but enh.

serakyu
Jan 11, 2007

and lo, motherfuckers

Sylphosaurus posted:

I asked this before but since I couldn´t see any answer I´ll try again. Do any goons own the PS4 version of this game and is it a decent port? I was thinking about getting it for my PC first but the nonexistant cheat prevention kind of made me rethink that.

I have it on PS4 because my PC is fairly outdated. I have just about 20 hours played. I've had 2 crashes, but it seems to work fine other than that. No complaints.

edit: PS4 slim

serakyu fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 24, 2019

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Sylphosaurus posted:

It's UE4 so it's "decent."

I'm still on earth and there are only like 4 enemies that all look the same. Does it open up?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Kanos posted:

It shines in coop, though; a melee guy whaling on a boss with max attack speed and a melee gearset is probably the highest DPS possible in the game because of how insanely fast you can attack and how powerful some of the melee damage effects you can get are.

I think the Devastator crossbow with the full Bandit Armor set is better DPS. It does ridiculous damage per shot and if every bolt hits you get 5 chances to not have to reload so you can fire again right away. Sometimes you'll get 10+ shots in a row without reloading. Also, since I started using that build I haven't had to pick up a single box of long ammo and I regularly clear areas with 20 or more shots left, and this on hard. There are definitely some very good melee builds, though.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Regrettable posted:

I think the Devastator crossbow with the full Bandit Armor set is better DPS. It does ridiculous damage per shot and if every bolt hits you get 5 chances to not have to reload so you can fire again right away. Sometimes you'll get 10+ shots in a row without reloading. Also, since I started using that build I haven't had to pick up a single box of long ammo and I regularly clear areas with 20 or more shots left, and this on hard. There are definitely some very good melee builds, though.

Yeah, that setup is what I've been using to shred bosses, it's insanely good if you don't miss. It's what, a 88% chance of procing if all the bolts hit and a 97% chance with max catalyst?

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I just found a beam rifle and I love beam weapons, so RIP my effectiveness, probably, as I never use anything but this gun ever again.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Regrettable posted:

It might be a gimmick build, but it's a loving tremendous gimmick build.

Melee is very strong on normal, but I worry about how it scales on hard or nightmare difficulty. From what I've been told, nightmare basically one shots you with any incoming source of damage, so I think that melee becomes far less effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

It might be a gimmick build, but it's a loving tremendous gimmick build.

Melee is very strong on normal, but I worry about how it scales on hard or nightmare difficulty. From what I've been told, nightmare basically one shots you with any incoming source of damage, so I think that melee becomes far less effective.

Tinfoil's melee build has been working pretty well on hard difficulty but I sincerely doubt that will carry over to nightmare.