Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm just looking to use Windows and Linux on an older (2015) MBP for some edge cases where brew doesn't have what I want. USB/serial devices that need updating and only offer .exe files, etc. Bootcamp is too much. Is Parallels any better? I remember reading that they were acquired by Corel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

eames posted:

I'm just looking to use Windows and Linux on an older (2015) MBP for some edge cases where brew doesn't have what I want. USB/serial devices that need updating and only offer .exe files, etc. Bootcamp is too much. Is Parallels any better? I remember reading that they were acquired by Corel.

Parallels is fine, but you're essentially paying for a yearly sub at this point because you won't get any support for any future macOS updates after the first year.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Fusion 11 runs Windows 10 (and 3.11) just fine on my 2014 Mini. I tried Virtualbox at first but found it pretty laggy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Virtual box is fine.l if you don't need anything crazy.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If it's just an EXE using ancient APIs, could it possibly run with wine? Worth a shot.

VirtualBox is more than fine if you want to spin up an entire VM. I don't understand some Mac users' distaste for free & open source software. Sure the paid stuff is flashier, integrates into the host OS better, and at least in the past was a little more performant w.r.t. hardware acceleration, esp. desktop compositing. But it's not like the core functionality that you're looking for is meaningfully different.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Pivo posted:

VirtualBox is more than fine if you want to spin up an entire VM. I don't understand some Mac users' distaste for free & open source software. Sure the paid stuff is flashier, integrates into the host OS better, and at least in the past was a little more performant w.r.t. hardware acceleration, esp. desktop compositing. But it's not like the core functionality that you're looking for is meaningfully different.

Flashier, a more seamless user experience, and more performant are some of the primary reasons people are willing to pay a premium for Apple products — or, really, anything. Those are all important factors to consider.

Don’t get me wrong, I use tons of FOSS and do think that VirtualBox is the way to go in this case but the reasons you listed are pretty much the main reasons to spend money on software when a functionally equivalent open source solution exists.

eames
May 9, 2009

I try to use FOSS wherever possible as long as it isn't owned by Oracle. :v:
I'll give virtualbox a try though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Buy a T-series thinkpad for < $100 and use that

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Lawen posted:

Don’t get me wrong, I use tons of FOSS and do think that VirtualBox is the way to go in this case but the reasons you listed are pretty much the main reasons to spend money on software when a functionally equivalent open source solution exists.

Yeah I'm not sure what my argument was. I think there's a general dirty feeling I get when people use expensive pro tools for things that don't require them, acquire expensive licenses for one-off tasks (like this example), or how in general on the platform people are expected to spend money even for simple tools that would normally be a simple thing that got open-sourced because someone created it for themselves. I write software for a living, I get it, but for some reason on the platform there isn't a culture of sharing small utility apps or preferring & recommending FOSS. People immediately jump to "how can I buy my way out of this?" and, well, it's something I don't like about macOS and the culture around it.

I'm not sure that's a terribly interesting thing to bring up, or that I've thought terribly much about it. We can afford the Mac but it makes it hard to recommend macOS to the world.

eames
May 9, 2009

the simplest solution would be a frontend for hypervisor.framework (which afaik is essentially what veertu for desktop was) but no such thing exists.

virtualbox seems to work for my purposes, albeit everything seems to take a bit longer than it used to years ago in VMware. Maybe that's just my MBP showing its age.

Pivo posted:

for some reason on the platform there isn't a culture of sharing small utility apps or preferring & recommending FOSS. People immediately jump to "how can I buy my way out of this?" and, well, it's something I don't like about macOS and the culture around it.

That's the company. Their interest in a thriving FOSS ecosystem on their platform is limited when they have their curated App Store as a major source of income. Security measures like app notarization and the inability to load third party kexts by default aren't helping either. I honestly wish I could find a laptop/linux combination compelling enough to make me switch but I've tried and always came back happy to pay the apple tax. The sad part is that even Windows 10 is now well ahead of macOS in many related aspects (Hyper-V, WSL2, better docker support, etc)

Bob Morales posted:

Buy a T-series thinkpad for < $100 and use that

new thread title :boom:

eames fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 24, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crunchy Black posted:

Thread consensus seems to be to stay away from newer versions of Fusion.

Why? I've had zero issues with it.

But if work didn't pay for my license, I definitely would use Virtual Box.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Proteus Jones posted:

Same here. I'm curious where this "thread consensus" came from.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Kinda upsetting that VMWare's blog hasn't been updated since November 2018, and there's been no mention of any 'coming' or new features- it's all been maintenance patches.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Proteus Jones posted:

upthread I recall some concern over spyware/monitoring. I only use OSX these days cause it's work mandated so my opinion is probably bad and wrong! the touchbar is idiotic and I wish I could disable it and get maybe 20 more minutes of battery life!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Not sure if this is the right thread or not, I'm wiping my mother in laws ancient 2009 MBP and was going to reinstall the OS. I'm at the re-install screen, it wants an apple id, I put in mine and then it spits out a somewhat cryptic ""this item is temporarily unavailable" message, which the internet seems to indicate is because I don't have an apple id with an active mac os entitlement on it (which is probably true, I haven't owned a Mac since the G5 days).

How the hell can I actually get El Capitan back on this thing?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Luceo posted:

Same here. I'm curious where this "thread consensus" came from.

Yah ditto. I'm using the current Fusion but admittedly not really stressing it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Maneki Neko posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread or not, I'm wiping my mother in laws ancient 2009 MBP and was going to reinstall the OS. I'm at the re-install screen, it wants an apple id, I put in mine and then it spits out a somewhat cryptic ""this item is temporarily unavailable" message, which the internet seems to indicate is because I don't have an apple id with an active mac os entitlement on it (which is probably true, I haven't owned a Mac since the G5 days).

How the hell can I actually get El Capitan back on this thing?
This may be related to your story or not: I recently bought a mid-2012 MBP, setup an appleID and such on it, but soon realized I had to reformat it. I had to do an Internet recovery starting in Lion and work my way up to Mojave. I remember hitting a wall I THINK trying to install El Capitan where the app store wouldn't let me login to my appleid because I had two-factor authentication enabled on my account and couldn't receive them on that MBP. I ended up borrowing someone's old iphone 5C, setting up my appleid on it, and receiving my 2-factor authentication code on that phone.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

There’s something weird with the licensing I thought. Basically, you have to have it entitled to your Apple ID to get it via Recovery. You might have to install an older OS then upgrade to El Capitan or make an installer using another Mac.

It doesn’t explain what I’m thinking, but here’s Apple’s suggestions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 26, 2019

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Gobbeldygook posted:

This may be related to your story or not: I recently bought a mid-2012 MBP, setup an appleID and such on it, but soon realized I had to reformat it. I had to do an Internet recovery starting in Lion and work my way up to Mojave. I remember hitting a wall I THINK trying to install El Capitan where the app store wouldn't let me login to my appleid because I had two-factor authentication enabled on my account and couldn't receive them on that MBP. I ended up borrowing someone's old iphone 5C, setting up my appleid on it, and receiving my 2-factor authentication code on that phone.

Weirdly, it wouldn't take my apple ID, and it kept crapping out on my mother in laws apple id but hitting cancel eventually installed the os, but registered under my apple id :confused:

nitsuga posted:

There’s something weird with the licensing I thought. Basically, you have to have it entitled to your Apple ID to get it via Recovery. You might have to install an older OS then upgrade to El Capitan or make an installer using another Mac.

It doesn’t explain what I’m thinking, but here’s Apple’s suggestions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

I'll see if I can dig up the recovery disks or something for this, I saw some suggestions about trying to make a bootable offline El Capitan installer, this whole thing is a giant pain in the rear end.

I was also trying the steps in this article, which seems to imply that El Capitan machines are slightly different, but either way no way to reinstall without entering an apple ID and getting it associated with my account.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Basically, this is all lies:

"Command-R is still the recommended way to start up from macOS Recovery. This combination makes sure that the installation isn't associated with your Apple ID, which is important if you're selling or giving away your Mac."

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 26, 2019

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

I'll see if I can dig up the recovery disks or something for this, I saw some suggestions about trying to make a bootable offline El Capitan installer, this whole thing is a giant pain in the rear end.

Bootable USB installer is often the least-hassle way to go. Only problem is trying to get the actual installer if you have a newer version of MacOS installed on another machine.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Hmm so noticed this issue when I upgraded to Mojave.

I am using Karabiner (Latest) and it seems that I cannot shift click and highlight multiple items below the first click in finder.

Example:

Finder shows 5 folders, I left click the first folder, then I goto the last folder and hold shift > Left click.

This should highlight all of the folders but it doesn't.

Anyone find a fix for this?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

lol internet. posted:

Hmm so noticed this issue when I upgraded to Mojave.

I am using Karabiner (Latest) and it seems that I cannot shift click and highlight multiple items below the first click in finder.

Example:

Finder shows 5 folders, I left click the first folder, then I goto the last folder and hold shift > Left click.

This should highlight all of the folders but it doesn't.

Anyone find a fix for this?

Does cmd+a still work?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

tuyop posted:

Does cmd+a still work?

That works yes, although my example was a select all basically, generally I'm not doing a shift click to select all.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

lol internet. posted:

That works yes, although my example was a select all basically, generally I'm not doing a shift click to select all.

Yeah I’m of limited use then, sorry. My shift clicks still work fine. :(

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

nitsuga posted:

Yeah with the move to ElCap there can be some weirdness with Apple ID if you didn't initially setup the machine there because of the provisions of Apple ID.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Last night I finally upgraded my 2013 MBP to Mojave so I guess I'll be posting again in a year when I upgrade to Catalina.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just curious why?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Why upgrade, or why the upgrade delay?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Dick Trauma posted:

Last night I finally upgraded my 2013 MBP to Mojave so I guess I'll be posting again in a year when I upgrade to Catalina.

I'm still rocking High Sierra on my MBP 2014 Retina. I tried to upgrade to Mojave but it keeps giving me an error. Must be a sign from high above. So I'm just gonna rock High Sierra until support runs out.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've still got High Sierra on my 2013. I'll get round to Mojave one day, but there are pieces of software I use that don't have a 64bit version so I might not go for Catalina. The reason I've not yet updated to Mojave is that having put in my own SSD I think I have to put in my original SSD to do the upgrade right? More effort than getting dark mode is worth.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
On Mojave:

I use an external (dual, actually) monitor. When I sleep/shut down, my windows are all jacked up on restart. Apparently all third-party apps that fix this are now incompatible because Apple. Is there a fix?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If I get an HP LaserJet 5550 off craigslist does macOS have 64bit drivers?

Hp’s site doesn’t have any Mac downloads for a printer that old (2004) but elsewhere on the internet it says there are some built in to the OS. I’m trying to figure out if it will continue working for the next few macOS iterations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Hed posted:

Hp’s site doesn’t have any Mac downloads for a printer that old (2004) but elsewhere on the internet it says there are some built in to the OS. I’m trying to figure out if it will continue working for the next few macOS iterations.

They haven't generated drivers past OS9.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

I've still got High Sierra on my 2013. I'll get round to Mojave one day, but there are pieces of software I use that don't have a 64bit version so I might not go for Catalina.

I forgot about that, but I since my MBP has been a secondary machine from the start I expect that I don't have anything interesting on there after six years of OS upgrades.

Probably my only old app is Geektool for putting the date and time on my desktop, and that's been broken for me for ages anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hed posted:

Can ya just PCL or PS it

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That printer definitely supports those I just have no experience using essentially a generic driver in macOS. Would it be a pain in the rear end or just me missing out on toner warnings and being unable to set the paper trays

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I would guess be able to set paper trays but no toner warnings.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

crazysim posted:

I would guess be able to set paper trays but no toner warnings.

That's about how it went for me with generic CUPS drivers and some slightly newer HP printers. Caveat: I am not at all versed in the finer points of macOS printer management, and I probably overlooked something easier and more effective.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I liked just setting up an RPi as a printer server. But I imagine the drivers are basically the same for something that old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

tuyop posted:

I liked just setting up an RPi as a printer server. But I imagine the drivers are basically the same for something that old.

Yeah if using something older that has published, unsigned drivers, this is probably your best best.