Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

What an absolute waste of an episode.

Ok, how so? Because it seems to me that a fairly major thing happens this episode (that is, finally meeting the woman who’s been built up since the beginning and was basically this game’s only mystery) and the plot kept moving at a decent pace with things actually happening between the beginning and end.

LoseHound posted:

What was that? Can't hear you over all this busting into offices and raiding Important Files that I'm doing.

That’s another common thread in this series come to think of it (though this time around we couldn’t actually view the files ourselves as it was all handled in a cutscene).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

LoseHound posted:

*Karen is cool and I dig her backstory. Love me some repentant, tired fuckups taking a drag on a cigarette before declaring modern life a hellish jail and social customs hollow security theatre.

I got almost nothing on Karen. I was thinking about how Sean would react based on how I'd played him so far, and just did the surly teen thing of completely refusing to engage the whole time. Don't ask her any questions, refuse to answer hers, immediately get up and leave when she comes outside.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

I got almost nothing on Karen. I was thinking about how Sean would react based on how I'd played him so far, and just did the surly teen thing of completely refusing to engage the whole time. Don't ask her any questions, refuse to answer hers, immediately get up and leave when she comes outside.

You should try hearing her out next time, there’s some decent backstory in there. Like I said, while there’s no excuse for what she did I actually liked Karen a lot more than I was expecting to and look forward to seeing more of her in the finale.

She’s sort of like a better written version of Sera from BtS in a sense (and her actress does a really good job as well), mostly in that they’re both deadbeat moms who desperately wanted to escape their dreary lives but later came back because they felt guilty and wanted to do right by their kids.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 24, 2019

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Larryb posted:

(though this time around we couldn’t actually view the files ourselves as it was all handled in a cutscene).

You actually can take a look at the files (or some of them, at least) if you hide successfully and don't leave straight away afterwards. (To be honest, I screwed up the hiding and reloaded the checkpoint. I'll accept the consequences of my own bad decisions, but I don't think Sean should suffer because I flail around in a useless panic during timed sequences.)

I'm going to have to look up the scene you get if you accept the lift from the truck driver. I thought he was probably safe, and it seemed dangerous to keep walking in the desert, but after the crap Sean had just been through I thought he'd probably turn the ride down, so I did. By the time he got to Haven Point, the poor kid could barely walk. I'm half-expecting to get an epilogue saying 'eventually, Sean died of skin cancer at the age of forty-three because you made him keep walking through the desert'.

I laughed aloud when Karen was explaining that she abandoned her family to 'find herself', and Sean said, 'Hope it was worth it,' and her response was, 'It was.' Harsh!

I was really hoping for some contact from Lyla at the start of the episode, given that there were a few letters from other characters. I only called her in episode one; I don't suppose there's anything if you call her in both one and two?

I'm delighted to see the boys reunited. It's nice to see some warmth in their interactions, too, after their rough relationship in episode three.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

I played Sean as someone who was exhausted and just wanted to help Daniel, and was willing to hear her our because he'd already nearly died several times so why not. Also I told Daniel earlier "don't worry that's in the past let's just move on" and then went "oh! parallels."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rith posted:

You actually can take a look at the files (or some of them, at least) if you hide successfully and don't leave straight away afterwards. (To be honest, I screwed up the hiding and reloaded the checkpoint. I'll accept the consequences of my own bad decisions, but I don't think Sean should suffer because I flail around in a useless panic during timed sequences.)

I'm going to have to look up the scene you get if you accept the lift from the truck driver. I thought he was probably safe, and it seemed dangerous to keep walking in the desert, but after the crap Sean had just been through I thought he'd probably turn the ride down, so I did. By the time he got to Haven Point, the poor kid could barely walk. I'm half-expecting to get an epilogue saying 'eventually, Sean died of skin cancer at the age of forty-three because you made him keep walking through the desert'.

I laughed aloud when Karen was explaining that she abandoned her family to 'find herself', and Sean said, 'Hope it was worth it,' and her response was, 'It was.' Harsh!

I was really hoping for some contact from Lyla at the start of the episode, given that there were a few letters from other characters. I only called her in episode one; I don't suppose there's anything if you call her in both one and two?

I'm delighted to see the boys reunited. It's nice to see some warmth in their interactions, too, after their rough relationship in episode three.

How do you successfully hide? I went into the closet but eventually he found me.

Also the trucker is completely safe and actually a pretty nice guy besides.

And no, Lyla’s presence in episodes 3 & 4 has no bearing on the first two (in 3 she only appears in a chat log if you check Sean’s computer during the flashback at the beginning and in 4 you only hear her during the dream sequence with Sean and his dad)

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Larryb posted:

How do you successfully hide? I went into the closet but eventually he found me.

The things I did that resulted in successful hiding:

- tell Karen to carry out her distraction plan
- close the open cabinet drawer (so he doesn't notice it's been opened)
- lock the door you came in by (so he doesn't go 'wait, why was it unlocked?')
- go into the closet and stay there until the guy leaves

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rith posted:

The things I did that resulted in successful hiding:

- tell Karen to carry out her distraction plan
- close the open cabinet drawer (so he doesn't notice it's been opened)
- lock the door you came in by (so he doesn't go 'wait, why was it unlocked?')
- go into the closet and stay there until the guy leaves

Yeah you have to basically make sure the room is the same as you came in. On top of the distraction. The only part of that whole sequence that I thought was weird was that bodyguard guy is in the playground area, and a woman, I assume the Reverend, is to the right by the mobile home/office in a chair smoking. I basically went along the edges of the fence and went around that office, but it didn't make a lot of sense because surely that woman in the chair would've seen me, there was nothing between me and her besides a little it of distance. I felt like that would've made more sense if I could've gone around and jumped over the fence.

CottonWolf posted:

The game basically gives you three options so you can still have Sean be pissed but still get answers, which felt the most natural to me. You can also just completely shut her out and get nothing, or you can be really open to her, which wouldn't make a lot of sense. I didn't completely shut her down because I felt like Sean, while still pissed off at her, still wanted to know WTF. I'm glad they put the option to kind of go in between instead of just the two extremes. I also did things like allow her to change my bandage for me, and bummed a smoke off her. And the sharing a moment smoking outside part was EASILY my favorite part of the whole Karen section. Seriously I'd go back and redo the choices just so you can see it play out because I think it's the best part of LiS2 so far.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I was pretty underwhelmed with this episode.

A lot of the episode feels more on rails than previous episodes. In the hospital escape sequence it would have been much more interesting to control Sean once he breaks out. How much time do you spend looking for your stuff? Do you stop to get supplies for your eye but risk waking the sleeping guard? Instead we just get an extended cutscene that ends with "well that was easy". Also why would I risk my escape to talk to Finn? Similarly, the first time you get to the church complex you can walk around a bit, but there doesn't seem to be anything to find, and there's nobody to talk to.

The poo poo with Karen feels very "would you like more plot Y/N?" so letting her spill her guts feels like a non choice.

The thing with the trucker feels like another non-choice. Sean looks on the verge of death when the guy pulls up and something like 85% of players get in. He mentions a no-hitchhiking law, but unless I missed something that is never conveyed beforehand. It would have been more compelling to have a "would you like to break the law so you don't die of heat stroke?" choice. I was disappointed neither him nor the thugs that find you in your car asleep made a reappearance.

I found the cult kinda boring, too. Besides the reverend being literally insane and trying to do a murder-suicide in the burning church at the end the whole thing seemed less like a cult and more like an isolated Evangelical congregation. Maybe I've been consuming too much true crime but it was kind of hard to take her seriously when the only other true believer she seems to have is the goon with the gun who gets like 2 lines. We also don't get a clear picture of what she's trying to do with Daniel. What's her endgame? She's got some kind of narcissistic messiah complex going on, so how does she square her own sense of self-importance with this little kid having magic powers? It's very "badguy does badguy things for badguy reasons."

Side question: the 2 times you get to walk around the cult grounds you can access the back door to the church, but I never found the key. Where is it? What happens if you go in?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

I was pretty underwhelmed with this episode.

Side question: the 2 times you get to walk around the cult grounds you can access the back door to the church, but I never found the key. Where is it? What happens if you go in?

I’m not entirely sure you can actually (though I have the same question about the locked door in Daniel’s room).

Also out of curiosity, what does Karen’s plan entail? Nicholas always caught me before she could do anything (also do you need to call her on the radio or something after you confirm or does it eventually happen automatically). Based on the choices at the end there’s apparently also a way to get in without alerting him at all but I’m not sure how as there are people stationed on both routes to the office (walk really close to the side of the church maybe?)

I liked this episode well enough but I agree it felt a bit too on rails and unlike the previous episode there was barely anyone to talk to. I’m still hoping they can break the cycle of the last two games and give us a decent ending but we’ll see how it goes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

I’m not entirely sure you can actually (though I have the same question about the locked door in Daniel’s room).

Also out of curiosity, what does Karen’s plan entail? Nicholas always caught me before she could do anything. Based on the choices at the end there’s apparently also a way to get in without alerting him at all but I’m not sure how as there are people stationed on both routes to the office (walk really close to the side of the church maybe?)

I liked this episode well enough but I agree it felt a bit too on rails and unlike the previous episode there was barely anyone to talk to. I’m still hoping they can break the cycle of the last two games and give us a decent ending but we’ll see how it goes.

I went around the right side. I hugged the fence the entire time, and then went around the little office thing and then into the house. Like I said the other post, this part is weird because there's no reason neither of them, especially the woman in a chair looking directly in your direction, shouldn't have noticed you. At the very least they probably should've put some bushes we could sneak through so we weren't so obviously just walking through the front gate and going right in front of their eyeballs.

Karen's plan is literally setting a building on fire :lol: That gets him out of the house faster and he doesn't search the place (especially if you return the room to its original state) and then you go outside and see a tall building engulfed in flames and Sean says something like "well that's one way to distract him"

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Larryb posted:

Pretty sure this is just another door to the office.

quote:

Also out of curiosity, what does Karen’s plan entail? Nicholas always caught me before she could do anything (also do you need to call her on the radio or something after you confirm or does it eventually happen automatically). Based on the choices at the end there’s apparently also a way to get in without alerting him at all but I’m not sure how as there are people stationed on both routes to the office (walk really close to the side of the church maybe?)

You can get around both of them by walking to the far right, there's a small path between the trailer and the fence. I found this the first time I was there exploring. The radio call for a distraction happens automatically. There didn't seem to be much point of being able to manually radio in.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good to know, and yeah I’m not entirely sure what Lisbeth’s actual plans were. She’s clearly insane and putting Jacob through conversion therapy and refusing to give his little sister medical treatment was an extremely lovely thing to do but it’s not exactly made clear what she planned to do with Daniel besides having him continue to do parlor tricks for her congregation and pass them off as miracles from God (entice more people into joining her maybe?)

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Larryb posted:

Good to know, and yeah I’m not entirely sure what Lisbeth’s actual plans were. She’s clearly insane and putting Jacob through conversion therapy and refusing to give his little sister medical treatment was an extremely lovely thing to do but it’s not exactly made clear what she planned to do with Daniel besides having him continue to do parlor tricks for her congregation and pass them off as miracles from God (entice more people into joining her maybe?)

She was making money off Daniel; you could find details like the flyer for a picnic with Daniel, which you could attend if you made a $20 'donation'.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My respect for Karen skyrocketed when I saw what her idea of a 'diversion' is.

:black101:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

Ok, how so? Because it seems to me that a fairly major thing happens this episode (that is, finally meeting the woman who’s been built up since the beginning and was basically this game’s only mystery) and the plot kept moving at a decent pace with things actually happening between the beginning and end.

Well the first thing, and arguably the biggest, is the massive shift in focus that this episode provided. This entire game has been about Sean and Daniels relationship, and, most importantly, how they interact. We have been trained to make decisions based on how we thought that Daniel would react and be effected by them. Now we have an entire episode devoid of those interactions completely. The entire point of the game up until this point has been completely removed.out from under us.

The entire episode feels catastrophically rushed, despite the fact that almost nothing happens. We have to get from California to middle of nowhere Nevada, Sean has to escape fricken' FBI custody, we have to establish that daniel has been taken in by a religious institution, and also we have to establish that this religious institution is not on the up and up.

But instead of taking the time to, I dont know, develop those situations, we manage to escape FBI custody with EXTREME ease despite the fact that we are a crippled teenager. He is being arrested for MURDER, how is this kid not handcuffed to the bed? Maybe the time we saved there will go into something that will develop something else... but no we get a complete redux of the racist dude encounter from episode 1 with more caricatures of rural racists and then an utterly bizarre encounter with a trucker who literally does nothing? He gives us a sandwhich and lets us take a nap and then absolutely nothing. No development of Sean or the trucker, except for establishing he is "not a weirdo".

This all comes to a head at the church, where the game gives us absolutely no time to develop anyone there so they just have things go off the rails completely and establish them as looney-bag cultists right from the get go. Sure whatever, but the problem with this is there is absolutely no reason in game or otherwise that would suggest that Daniel would buy into this poo poo? I realize he is a kid and has gone through trauma but he spent MONTHS with sean but then instantly is ready to abandon him for this crazy lady despite the fact that he has shown extremely limited interest in religion and its not even like the game does a good job showing that the cult lady was even nice to him. She made him do a poo poo load of chores and he cant have cool toys and he has to copy scripture over and over and why the hell is Daniel buying into this? He was pissed about how strict Sean was with him and this lady is a billion times worse.

Nothing in this episode is given time to breath, the only thing even remotely approaching an acceptable level of quality is Sean and Karen's interaction at the Motel. I applaud the games choice to not make her some huge reveal. She just is a mom who hosed up and never should have become a mom and her honesty is refreshing. But after we met and interacted with so many interesting characters in episode 3, the only characters that are even remotely established in this episode are Joey (and barely so, other than he is a cool dude who does not want to get fired) and Karen.

The games complete inability to make any sort of antagonist anything more than paper thin is a huge problem. The cop was a bumbling idiot, the store owner and desert racists were literally nothing but comical level racists. The religious "cult" is just trying to use Daniel for money. Money for "reasons" because they are "evil". Except they are not actually a cult, they are basically basic rear end evangelicals who found a kid who can levitate poo poo and are losing their minds because of it. Its extremely apparent that this game is made by a bunch of french people
who's idea of racism and religious issues in America come from trump rallies and movies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I will say this episode made me like Jacob a little more (and I really wasn’t expecting to like Karen as much as I did) but otherwise, yeah, I can’t really argue with any of that (the racism stuff isn’t quite as far fetched as you think though).

We’ve still got about 3 months or so to kill so hopefully they’ll be able to make a decent finale out of all this at any rate. But I won’t hold my breath. Honestly I’ll be surprised if they even bother trying to explain Daniel’s powers or if it’ll just be like Max’s in the first game (“You have powers, we don’t know how you got them, who cares anyway”).

That said, it actually might be nice if the final ending is dependent on how you played the game up to that
point rather than it all just coming down to one big final choice like in previous entries.

Like I’ve said before, while I’ve been enjoying LiS2 for the most part I’d much prefer it if the next game (assuming there’s going to be one) was structured a little more like the Arcadia Bay duology was (that is, have it mainly takes place in a community filled with various side characters that we can interact with and see develop over the course of the game), the closest thing we got to that so far was in Episode 3.

I’m fine with them trying something different but I’m just saying it’s hard to get attached to a cast when nearly everyone except the main two protagonists are constantly getting shuffled out each episode. The only ones I’ve genuinely liked so far were Lyla, Cassidy, and Karen (most of the other drifters besides Finn weren’t that bad either).

I’m also kind of curious as to why Chris warranted his own side game above anyone else. I guess it was a way to demo some of the game mechanics (and apparently it was originally just going to be part of Episode 2 though I’m not sure how exactly that would have worked) but it also gave people the impression that he’d be a lot more important to LiS2’s story than he actually was.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 28, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also did I miss something or is the cop’s speech from last episode’s preview nowhere to be found in this one (I don’t believe the conversation between Sean, Daniel, and Cassidy from the Episode 3 preview made it in either come to think of it)?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Nah, this episode was fantastic and in an industry that bends itself backwards to be neutral and "apolitical," it's a loving breath of fresh air to see Life is Strange 2 not pull punches with its politics. Calling the the beats that happens in this game completely "unrealistic" is just plain wrong.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 28, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good point. Some of the racism may come off as a bit heavy handed, but from what I’ve heard it’s not completely far fetched either (minus the psychic powers, a lot of the poo poo we’ve seen the boys go through so far has actually happened to people in real life). Just because it doesn’t affect you personally doesn’t make it any less true.

The villains this time around were also a bit two dimensional but that’s nothing we haven’t seen before (Damon Merrick, Mark Jefferson though he was a little better at hiding it) but despite its flaws and feeling a little too on rails at times I still liked this episode well enough and am actually looking forward to seeing how this all ends.

While whether it worked or not is a matter of debate I do give DontNod credit for at least trying something more original here. I also sort of like how each episode builds on a detail mentioned in the previous one. There’s an off hand reference to Sean’s grandparents in episode 1, we meet Finn and Cassidy in episode 2, we meet Jacob in episode 3 and learn about Haven Point, Karen finally shows up in episode 4 and if the pattern holds then we should be spending a bit more time with her and her community in Arizona in the finale.

As I said before, since we already had multiple endings to previous episodes it might be nice if the final one was also based on your decisions up to that point rather than everything coming down to one big choice at the end as in previous entries.

Out of curiosity, have Gonzalo Martin (Sean) and Roman George (Daniel) done anything prior to LiS2? Because if not they’re actually pretty drat good for a couple of first timers (and kid voices in general tend to be kind of hit or miss for the most part).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 28, 2019

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
According to IMDB, Gonzalo has done some short films and appeared in uh, "BuzzFeed Murder Mystery Stories." LiS 2 is his first game role.

Roman also appeared in some short films and small TV roles. No other roles in games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

According to IMDB, Gonzalo has done some short films and appeared in uh, "BuzzFeed Murder Mystery Stories." LiS 2 is his first game role.

Roman also appeared in some short films and small TV roles. No other roles in games.

Neat, and near as I can tell only one previous LiS alumni returned for Season 2 (Chris’ dad was voiced by the same guy who played Frank in BtS), everybody else (so far anyway) were more or less new faces.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PunkBoy posted:

Nah, this episode was fantastic and in an industry that bends itself backwards to be neutral and "apolitical," it's a loving breath of fresh air to see Life is Strange 2 not pull punches with its politics. Calling the the beats that happens in this game completely "unrealistic" is just plain wrong.

The very unrealistic and heavy-handed portrayal of what at least literally 45 million people in this country believe.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dont pretend that my post is calling for the game to be apolitical. There are racist shitheels in this country and tons of heinous poo poo happen all the time, so calling the episode unrealistic might have been the wrong wording. Lazy might have been a better way to describe it.

Making a scene where two hillbillis beat up and force a hispanic kid to sing while they call him racial slurs is an easy thing to do. There are no questions of morality, the audience is not going to have to really think about the situation. These situations do, have and will continue to happen, obviously, and the game is well in its right to portray these situations.

However, the much more common forms of racism that plague people of color and minorities day in and day out are much more harder to portray, and they wont be so easily recognized by, and agreed with by a majority white audience and thus have mostly been pushed out of this story. I wish the game did more to express the dozens of microaggressions and racist interactions that a implicitly racist society put on POC instead of resigning to our main character being literally hate crimed in a desert and made to cry while singing a song in spanish.

This is a piece of media in a post "Get Out" world, there are more nuanced and impactful ways to portray the horrors of racism than hate crimes and lynch mobs. And maybe thats me wishing the game was trying to be something that its not, but I just cannot shake the feeling that the writers are taking the easy way out while trying to get this message across.This is a game made for a left-leaning, mostly liberal identifying audience and i wish it did more that could force them to consider their own prejudices.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 29, 2019

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
I'm white and I don't live in America, so I'm not really in a position to decide whether Life Is Strange 2 succeeds in what it's trying to do with race, but I will say that there are some subtler details. The way Claire talked about Esteban set off alarm bells for me (her response to 'I know you guys didn't really get along' is 'It's just... Esteban was very different from us. And he never took a single step to change any of that'), and I was struck by Lisbeth's e-mail to her congregation in which she describes Sean as 'a Mexican teenager who calls himself "Sean"', both ignoring the fact he's an American and implying that he's dishonest about his name. It is true, though, that Claire's the only character I can think of who displays racist aspects while also being a normal person, rather than allowing the audience to go 'ah, yes, racist people are all cartoonishly evil, therefore I can't be racist.'

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I liked episode 4. Maybe its because I found episode 3 incredibly boring but i enjoyed it overall.

What does Finnsay if you choose to talk to him?

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

What does Finnsay if you choose to talk to him?

I was a little nervous about waking him - I told the agent that Finn was behind the heist, so I thought he might alert security to get back at me - but actually it was a nice little scene. He apologised for the heist-gone-wrong. I forgave him, but you have the opportunity to blame him as well.

Someone's uploaded the variant you get if you romanced Finn to YouTube over here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note I actually like how there are different final choices in Episodes 3 and 4 depending on your decisions up to that point (in 3 you only get an alternate choice if you break into Merril’s safe and take the gun and in 4 either Sean threatens Lisbeth with a gun or we get a retread of the cougar scene from episode 2).

I kind of hope this carries over into the last episode where instead of having one big choice at the end like in previous titles we instead get multiple final choices depending on how you played the game up to that point.

Also it would be nice if we got a big “where are they now” segment during the epilogue where we check in with some of the other major characters we met along the way.

As for the current episode itself, I actually thought 3 was the only one so far that actually felt more like Season 1/BTS (that is, you’re in a close knit community filled with unique characters you have the option to get to know better/establish relationships with) but I will agree that it felt more like stuff of note actually happened in 4.

Like I said, I really hope they’re able to make a decent ending for all this.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 29, 2019

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

Like I said, I really hope they’re able to make a decent ending for all this.

*In an extremely arrested development narrator voice* They didnt

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

*In an extremely arrested development narrator voice* They didnt

Well the previous games had somewhat disappointing endings but maybe they’ll finally break the cycle this time (I’m not holding my breath though).

That said, I’m still curious to see how this all winds up playing out regardless.

Also a cute little nod I just noticed, outside the church there are a pair of swings shaped like two blue whales.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 29, 2019

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Alright, now THAT was a Life is Strange episode. I've mostly felt like this sequel has been a wet fart so far, but I actually cared what was happening in this one. Hope they can stick the landing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

Alright, now THAT was a Life is Strange episode. I've mostly felt like this sequel has been a wet fart so far, but I actually cared what was happening in this one. Hope they can stick the landing.

Yeah, things actually happened between the beginning and the end this time around (though Episode 3 did also sort of feel like a proper LiS game at least as far as the social aspect was concerned).

This series hasn't really had the best track record so far in terms of endings but here's hoping. I'm going to assume Daniel's powers will just remain as unexplained as Max's were of course.

That said though, I'm still looking forward to seeing how all this plays out. Like I said, it would be nice if the final choice this time was actually dependent on how you played the game up to that point (kind of like what they did in this episode) rather than just being one big universal choice forced on you by the plot as in previous titles. A little montage at the end showing everyone who helped us along the way and what they're doing now could be cool as well.

I don't know if this series is going to continue beyond LiS2 (aside from the currently running comic and possibly whatever Deck Nine's cooking up that is) but while I can respect them for trying something different I'd much prefer if the next game was structured a bit more like the Arcadia Bay duology instead (I'm fine with them changing up the cast and setting again though).

Also the LiS comic is decent and more people should read it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 3, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m mostly just posting this because I like hearing how the different voices sound but like it’s predecessors Life is Strange 2 will be getting a Japanese release before long (I assume there will probably be a mobile version at some point as well):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Gv7zRCbATGw

The guy playing Sean sounds really familiar to me for some reason but I can’t quite place it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Life is Strange 2 will be getting a physical release on February 4th 2020 (or December 3rd of this year if you’re in Europe), The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit will of course be included as well:

https://lifeisstrange-blog.tumblr.com/post/188344781380/announcing-the-life-is-strange-2-boxed-edition/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Much like Before the Storm’s release, there will also be a Collector’s Edition that includes the OST for the game, an art book and some Sean and Daniel figures.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 14, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Life is Strange #9: We begin a new arc this time with Max finally telling Chloe and Rachel where she came from (and that she needs to go back to her original reality at some point). Chloe will also apparently be joining Rachel on her upcoming trip to Florida and Tristan from the last arc appears to be sticking around at some point. There’s a few nice character moments in there as well.

Next issue is out November 13 (also this comic is good and more people should read it).

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
So the teaser for Episode Five was uploaded to Youtube three days ago. Forgive me if I'm flaunting my ignorance here but where are the wolf brothers? The Grand Canyon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baUHFjIuth8

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

So the teaser for Episode Five was uploaded to Youtube three days ago. Forgive me if I'm flaunting my ignorance here but where are the wolf brothers? The Grand Canyon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baUHFjIuth8

The finale apparently takes place in Arizona so most likely, yeah.

Also Dayeanne Hutton (Kate) is currently doing a stream of LiS 2 on the official channel alongside a few other cast members on an episode by episode basis (plus Captain Spirit):

https://youtube.com/user/lifeisstrange/videos

Regarding Episode 5 (which I’m assuming is called Journey’s End until proven otherwise, though that would break the pattern of all the titles so far being just one word), now that Daniel’s back I’d like to have a chance to properly talk to Karen so you have the option to reconnect or push her away as you see fit.

It also might be nice if the final ending this time was determined by your choices throughout the story rather than just on one big decision right at the end (as long as this was properly conveyed to the player at the results screen of course). This article seems to suggest as such at least.

Aside from the monthly comic and a slim chance at a BtS sequel by Deck Nine it’s also looking like this might be it for the LiS series (for the time being anyway) as DontNod currently wants to focus on other projects.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 9, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, DontNod has announced a new game:

https://twitter.com/siliconera/status/1195080240307089423

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVXqGQC9J2o

"Tell Me Why is described as an intimate thriller featuring twins Tyler and Alyson, who use their special bond to unravel mysteries of their loving but troubled childhood. The game is set in beautiful small-town Alaska, featuring true-to-life characters, mature themes, and gripping choices."

Speaking of new games, there still hasn’t been any further word in regards to Deck Nine’s new project yet has there?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 14, 2019

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Are they literally incapable of playing a game where someones parent does not die tragically?

e: #JourneysEnd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Aaaaand it looks like when the journey comes to an end in Life Is Strange II, there'll be a new soulful game about teenagers for us to play and obsess over here on Something Awful.

You had me worried for a while there, Dontnod.

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 15, 2019