Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rinkles posted:

feebas and milotic next? :mrgw:

I have pokemon black so that's trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MikeJF posted:

I have pokemon black so that's trivial.

ah assumed you meant each pokemon in each game

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rinkles posted:

ah assumed you meant each pokemon in each game

Ah no that would just be suicidal. No, I mean in my PokeBank, sourced from my SS/Plat/Black.

Which involved spreadsheeting which ones I can get in black and then which ones I need to transfer up from SS and Plat.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Pokebank still doesn't detect gen V savefiles, so unless you have gen VI and onwards, then download poketransfer, you are poo poo out of luck.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I got a copy of Sun I'm halfway through that I may have gotten distracted from by this.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 24, 2019

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
There are times, not often, where I just think "why am I spending time breeding for IV and moves, why not just dump that savefile and learn to use a hex editor" and all Gamefreak does is push me towards that point, little by little.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Dos anyone who plays competitive/world championship stuff actually use legitimate Pokemon? There's no way all these people actually caught perfect IV legendaries.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

galagazombie posted:

Dos anyone who plays competitive/world championship stuff actually use legitimate Pokemon? There's no way all these people actually caught perfect IV legendaries.

Lol, no. I can't imagine any of those players or time into breeding.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

galagazombie posted:

It is a very open secret that absolutely everyone hacks their 'mons. Someone showed up to a tournament with a flagrantly illegal Aegislash (an illegal event-only ball) and nothing really came of it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
that would be more of a crime if breeding wasn't not for some reason scientifically designed to be the most tedious grind in all of video gamedom

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Yeah, its pretty sad that game freak can’t just come to terms with the fact that if you want competitive pvp you need to have some sort of usable system to make mons exactly how you want them without to much hassle.

I love to play on bss but I’m not the type to try and hack my console to allow myself to download edited mons so i always burn out quickly each gen.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nowadays breeding and making your own mons is actually really easy. While hacking them in is even easier, people totally do it the legit route too.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

Nowadays breeding and making your own mons is actually really easy. While hacking them in is even easier, people totally do it the legit route too.

This is true, the problem comes up really with the semi-legendaries. Since they are not restricted they really can set the meta in cartridge formats, but since you cant breed them they are pretty much unusable to fully legit players.

Like i would probably be satified if they made bottle caps work at lvl 50 instead of 100. Since synchronize catching isn’t to much of a pain it’s really just IVs that roadblock semi legends.

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 24, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SpaceCadetBob posted:

This is true, the problem comes up really with the semi-legendaries. Since they are not restricted they really can set the meta in cartridge formats, but since you cant breed them they are pretty much unusable to fully legit players.

Like i would probably be satified if they made bottle caps work at lvl 50 instead of 100. Since synchronize catching isn’t to much of a pain it’s really just IVs that roadblock semi legends.

Legendaries are guaranteed a minimum of 3 perfect IVs in Gen VI and VII. It really isn't actually an issue to catch one thats good enough for competition. Bottle Caps also make it something you can fix if you don't want to put a ton of effort into

Unless you're trying for a specific hidden power which is a nightmare.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Saagonsa posted:

it has never been anything other than easy, but it has always been and currently remains extremely tedious

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Like i would probably be satified if they made bottle caps work at lvl 50 instead of 100.

Oh god yes. That (and the fact that some pokemon have way too low of an SOS call/response rate even after intimidate/super effective move) is one of my only problems with pokemon building system nowadays. There's very little I want to do less in this world than farm chanseys for hours on end again.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
For me its more about being a dad with two young kids. Back in the day, spending an evening grinding out eggs was nbd, but my game time is pretty limited now so tedious gameplay is just a huge downer.

As it is my older son enjoys watching me battle, so I can get game time and dad time to coincide. his interest in watching me run around in circles to hatch egg is 0 however.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ka0 posted:

There are times, not often, where I just think "why am I spending time breeding for IV and moves, why not just dump that savefile and learn to use a hex editor" and all Gamefreak does is push me towards that point, little by little.

I used the hex tools to transfer my pokemon from SS to platinum because gently caress trading 60 pokemon, and wow I gotta say they make it really easy, it was very tempting.

There's a little thingy that'll generate them looking legitimate and tell you if stats you picked out are legal and possible and everything.

It even has the right backgrounds for the boxes. :allears:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rinkles posted:

How did I manage to spend hundreds of hours playing on this screen? (zero backlight)

(cartridge battery was obviously dead)

GBA buttons still feel great

I used to play under the covers at night with that crappy little attachable light.

My eyes hurt just thinking about it.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The big issue is that the main Pokémon games try to be a single player campaign first and pvp game second. When you start a new game, you need to go through the entire single player campaign (and some postgame stuff) before you have access to all the tools needed for the pvp portion (mostly because access to all those tools would break the single player campaign in half). Also Game Freak seems convinced that the players need to work towards getting powerful monsters, hence they build in a bunch of inconveniences into the game to hinder players towards that goal. RNG being the big one. They also don't bother with revealing all the mechanics in the game itself: Egg groups are vital for chain breeding certain monsters certain moves, but the only time they acknowledged their existence is in Pokémon Stadium 2 and that 3DS Pokedex thing.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1165282944828760065

On his personal account he's speculating this is going to be the first teaser for the Sword and Shield anime.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I used to play under the covers at night with that crappy little attachable light.

My eyes hurt just thinking about it.

SP superiority.

I mean yeah the frontlight was poo poo, but compared to the GBA original...

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Lmao if you didn't have your gba kitted out into a monstrosity with a magnifying screen, light, controller grips w/ larger buttons, and folding stereo speakers.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

MikeJF posted:

SP superiority.

I mean yeah the frontlight was poo poo, but compared to the GBA original...

:actually: GB Micro superiority

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

less laughter posted:

:actually: GB Micro superiority

What is that? A screen for ants?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I like playing my GBA games on my original DS.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zuzie posted:

I like playing my GBA games on my original DS.

Wii U gamepad for me

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I know that a lot of people do get some enjoyment out of it, but I think Pokemon breeding was a big misstep simply from a thematic standpoint. The whole point of the series was catching 'mons as they are and befriending them; going out and getting new friends and making them a part of your experience. Basically engineering a Pokemon just to be good at battling kind of clashes with the series themes and ideas.

Like, it was a logical thing to add, but I think as it exists now, it diverts the focus away from the game's core idea; catching Pokemon.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Pokémon are tools and weapons, not friends

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Filthy Haiku posted:

I know that a lot of people do get some enjoyment out of it, but I think Pokemon breeding was a big misstep simply from a thematic standpoint. The whole point of the series was catching 'mons as they are and befriending them; going out and getting new friends and making them a part of your experience. Basically engineering a Pokemon just to be good at battling kind of clashes with the series themes and ideas.

Like, it was a logical thing to add, but I think as it exists now, it diverts the focus away from the game's core idea; catching Pokemon.

The entire concept that any pokemon couldn't be made the best through sufficient love and attention clashes with the series themes.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

MikeJF posted:

The entire concept that any pokemon couldn't be made the best through sufficient love and attention clashes with the series themes.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Filthy Haiku posted:

Pokemon Go kind of recaptures that idea. Also I think Masuda actually expressed a similar viewpoint in an interview for the Let's Go games.

That being said, things like bottle caps now mean that the only thing preventing any monster from being used in competitive is its nature, what egg moves it needs and if it has its hidden ability or not (and the later two don't apply to all Pokemon).

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Zuzie posted:

That being said, things like bottle caps now mean that the only thing preventing any monster from being used in competitive is its nature, what egg moves it needs and if it has its hidden ability or not (and the later two don't apply to all Pokemon).

Without a way to get mons to level 100 without literal hours of grinding this is not really true.

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 24, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Without a way to get mons to level 100 without literal hours of grinding this is not really true.

You don't have to get mons to level 100 for competitive battling lol.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You do if you want to use bottle caps to fix their IVs.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I mean yeah, its not impossible to pvp without perfect mons. I do it all the time every gen. But knowing that another 5 iv in defense might have made a ohko survivable is super grating, so after a while I just gently caress off to other games that let me use what I want to use without pointless poo poo.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gruckles posted:

Lmao if you didn't have your gba kitted out into a monstrosity with a magnifying screen, light, controller grips w/ larger buttons, and folding stereo speakers.

:colbert:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to see some new pokes

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to see a Galar Jigglypuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You don't, and that's why requiring it for hyper training is really dumb!